Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #16
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,127
cool! I just picked up an MB5 last week and have had a blast fartin around on the roads while I'm waiting for the snow to melt off the trails. Found another one "for parts" (thats what the wife thinks anyways) just yesterday!

Any more info on the CR80 engine swaps? I know with some work you can graft the older air cooled cr80 top end to the MB5 engine and even put the 6 speed gearbox in the MB5, and it appears that 70cc big bore kits are pretty easy to come by. If I could punch one of them out a bit, it might be my new commuter! (as it is, 45 mph on the flat isnt gonna cut it... )

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #17
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,531
Looked like a fun ride, did the HD guys wave?
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #18
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Great report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I rode that ride too. I usually ride Myrons Moped ride on my Micro ADVenture Moped. It is a Honda clone 4 speed, aluminum frame, bicycle based machine.

Sunday I rode my slightly modified CT200 Mini ADVenture Motorcycle.

If you can't pick up your bike, it is too heavy.

It has a 138cc Honda clone engine, 8”double disc front brakes, 8” single disc rear brake, adjustable head crown, downhill bicycle front forks, and a rear shock I built 30 years ago. It weighs 130 plus gas (143 with a full tank). I had to build the hubs because you can't buy double disc bicycle hubs!!!!!!!!!!

The shocks were marketed as "MotorSport Air Shocks". They used nitrogen for a spring and had a damping rod in it to control the damping throughout the stroke. I sponsored a guy who got #1 plate in the desert.

I was starting to get going when the factories went to variable geometry to get progressive suspension.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #19
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Oddometer: 5,229
That is cool as hell.

Love the bikes Salsa!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #20
tcs
Palmer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRconvertible
Some of the new mopeds have more substantial body work and seating and bars, but still have pedals. A small motorized bike without pedals is not a moped. It is considered a noped.
Even if it has pedals, a small motorized bike that will run over 30mph isn't legally* a moped either - but I bet a larger percentage of mopeds have been modified for more speed than Harleys have had chrome added.

tcs

*varies from state to state and country to country
tcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #21
DRconvertible OP
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 256
Thanks for the replies and the kind words. It was a really good time.

When I was a kid my sister and her husband bought a pair of Honda Express twins--both were orange. They would bring them down to my Dad's house for weekends that they were there and let me ride them around the neighborhood. I was probably about thirteen or fourteen at the time. As long as they'd let me, and as long as they had gas in the tanks, I was riding them.

I got caught jumping them off of curbs and they cut me off for a little while. I didn't understand at the time why I couldn't jump them like I would a dirt bike but now look back and thank Honda for making the Express strong enough to not fold in half when jumped. They probably should have.

Those rides really set the hook when it came to becoming a rider. Even though I could only go 30 mph or so, I was addicted.

We did cross paths with a group of Harley riders. We were heading back to Fullerton on Rosemead Boulevard and went through a large intersection on a green light. I was following the two slowest mopeds and above the sound of my bike and the two bikes in front of me I could hear and feel this huge wall of potato-potato idling. There were about fifteen of them waiting at a red light. All of their bikes had open pipes and were emitting this gigantic wave of sound.

These weren't your typical dentist Harley riders. These guys were bad-ass Mexican Biker Gang riders and while their heads turned as we passed by them, none would return a wave.

I didn't salute them because I knew there was no way we could outrun them.

I wanted to get more pictures of the people we passed, but didn't have my camera on a neck lanyard. I kept having to time it properly so that I could turn it off, have it power down and have its lens retract in the camera body before I could slide it into my jacket pocket. That won't happen next time.

Don, it was good riding and talking with you. I'm glad your were able to get some of your pictures posted and I hope to see you next month.

I'll follow up this post with another a little later with more details about the MB5 engine swaps. Steve is almost done with an even more ambitious project and in the thinking stages of another.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #22
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRconvertible
A handmade, Lifan powered, mini motorcycle complete with seventies XL tank and mountain bike forks and dual front discs.

Why do I hear the theme song to Monster Garage in my head right now?

Looks like fun! Nice report!
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:43 AM   #23
MarkN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,958
A good report and some great pictures.

Although this picture just reminds me of a normal day in London
Old 04-10-2008, 03:45 AM   #24
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004
Brilliant
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:17 AM   #25
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Thumb

nice report - thanks for posting reminded me of the Honda 90 and Suzuki 90 I had in the seventies. As a 15 yr old kid in '63 I was envious of my workmates 50cc Honda Cub.
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #26
StoneHand
n00b

Oddometer: 2
DR: welcome to Myron's Squad!

Excellent report!!
I'm Carlos, the guy with the red scooter, (you'll meet my Tomos Black Fire moped April 27th , next myron's ride) and my new KLR is ready and waiting for your call.
It's not easy to put in words what you feel in a moped ride, but you got it!
I've been hoocked since my first one (a year ago). The largest I remember had 49 little demons buzzing trough L.A.
But that's half of the story, the best half is Shaun and the gang, btw: HI SALSA!!! (Don always has a soda for you at the end of every ride)
I see a moped in your future, DR
Long live the 2T!
Attached Images

StoneHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #27
biketherapy
si se puede

Oddometer: 505
great report, very different. I'd like the next report showing your group rolling through Sturgis during bike week....
Old 04-11-2008, 02:10 AM   #28
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHand
Excellent report!!
I'm Carlos, the guy with the red scooter, (you'll meet my Tomos Black Fire moped April 27th , next myron's ride) and my new KLR is ready and waiting for your call.
I've been hoocked since my first one (a year ago). The largest I remember had 49 little demons buzzing trough L.A.
But that's half of the story, the best half is Shaun and the gang, btw: HI SALSA!!! (Don always has a soda for you at the end of every ride)
Long live the 2T!

Great picture! May even be a good Battle Scooter rep for the front page.

And welcome aboard!

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #29
DRconvertible OP
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHand
Excellent report!!
Long live the 2T!
Hey Carlos. Good to see you on this sight. This is where you'll find more guys to ride your KLR with. Keep an eye on the California/Western Regional Forum and I'll PM you if I've got a ride planned or if I'm going to tag along with another group.

Unless we can pick up a ride before then, I'll see you for the April ride.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #30
StoneHand
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Evil
Thanks for the warm welcome!!! I've been enjoying this site for months, reading adventures and learning a lot with you guys.
Long Live ADV!
StoneHand is offline   Reply With Quote