User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #31
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Hey DR!

Post up in the regional forum before the next ride!!!

I don't have a moped...but have a little Zuma scooter. We used to have our own little supermoto course in the neighborhood on Express's back in the day. Be fun to ride around with other little 2 smokes.

Those MB5's were cool. I always wanted one of those little YSR50's...but never had money when they were around. I think Kawasaki had a little 50cc 2 smoker too.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #32
DRconvertible OP
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
Post up in the regional forum before the next ride!!!

I don't have a moped...but have a little Zuma scooter. We used to have our own little supermoto course in the neighborhood on Express's back in the day. Be fun to ride around with other little 2 smokes.

Those MB5's were cool. I always wanted one of those little YSR50's...but never had money when they were around. I think Kawasaki had a little 50cc 2 smoker too.
Funny you should mention Kawasaki's little 2 stroke street bike. Apparently when Honda released the MB5, Kawasaki felt obligated to respond and sold the AR50, AR80 and AR125. All were about the the size of the MB5 but were much more like a full-size motorcycle.

Steve, the guy that owns the red MB5 in the RR, has a Kawasaki AR80 that has had a KX100 engine transplanted into it. It is about 90% done and will probably be ridden on the next Myron's Mopeds ride.

Sorry about the grainy pictures. My little camera takes great pictures outdoors but is terrible indoors, even with decent lighting.

The frame work and engine transplant on this, and both MB5s, were performed by DMC, the company that puts XR100 and XR200 engines in Honda CR80s.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #33
Oni
Ronin

Yeah...I remember those little Kawi's! There used to be one running around the 'hood in the day.

DMC as in Dave Miller Concepts? He does some neat stuff! That little AR looks really cool!

Hope to be able to leave some blue smoke with you guys next time! Riding around with a bunch of 2 strokes used to be the norm...it was the odd one that rode an SL or XL...now it's all thumpers and the very rare stroker.

I have an old '78 RD400 in the garage too. I need to get that thing running again! I just bought the Zuma as I heard they were going to quit bringing them into California...and I just had to have a 2 stroke to putt around on.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #34
DRconvertible OP
Lurking in SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
cool! I just picked up an MB5 last week and have had a blast fartin around on the roads while I'm waiting for the snow to melt off the trails. Found another one "for parts" (thats what the wife thinks anyways) just yesterday!

Any more info on the CR80 engine swaps? I know with some work you can graft the older air cooled cr80 top end to the MB5 engine and even put the 6 speed gearbox in the MB5, and it appears that 70cc big bore kits are pretty easy to come by. If I could punch one of them out a bit, it might be my new commuter! (as it is, 45 mph on the flat isnt gonna cut it... )
I don't have any really detailed pictures or information about the MB5s for you yet, but I can give you some general information. The black bike in the pictures was built first.

Dave Miller of DMC did the frame work. Because the MB5 hangs it engine from the top/middle of the frame, there is no bottom section to bolt in an engine that was used in a full frame bike. I believe on the black bike they fabbed in a lower engine cradle to bolt in the lower/front mounts and the rear mounts.

The red bike, being the second one built, was a little more thought out and the engine cradle may have actually been constructed from an existing CR85 frame. It allows the swingarm mounting and rear engine mounts to be cleaner. The mid-section where the center stand exists and the pipe is mounted is a little cleaner and the center stand is wider and more stable.

I'll get some more detailed pictures posted when I can.

I don't know enough about the MB5 to know what will swap in in terms of top end or transmission.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:25 PM   #35
StoneHand
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Oni-Next Myron's Moped ride-April 27th

Here:
LOS ANGELES STATE HISTORIC PARK
1245 N.Spring St., Los Angeles 90012
10 AM-Sunday April 27
End Destination: Getty Museum with a stop at CHOKE (moped and Vespa shop).
Many veterans consider this one of the best rides, Hollywood hills, Bel Air, etc. I suspect great attendance, the weather should be great and I'm sure many of the famous moped gangs (LateBirds, Blackwidows, etc) will join us.
I hope you'll too
Cheers
StoneHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #36
Oni
Ronin

Thanks StoneHand

I'll mark it in my calendar.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #37
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,908
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

It makes me want to go buy a cheapo POS, and go for a ride! And the big plus. . . I already look like a dork, and i would fit right in!

But seriously, thanks for the great report and photos, and please, do it again!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #38
DRconvertible OP
Lurking in SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
cool! I just picked up an MB5 last week and have had a blast fartin around on the roads while I'm waiting for the snow to melt off the trails. Found another one "for parts" (thats what the wife thinks anyways) just yesterday!

Any more info on the CR80 engine swaps? I know with some work you can graft the older air cooled cr80 top end to the MB5 engine and even put the 6 speed gearbox in the MB5, and it appears that 70cc big bore kits are pretty easy to come by. If I could punch one of them out a bit, it might be my new commuter! (as it is, 45 mph on the flat isnt gonna cut it... )

Dorkpunch,

I received some detailed pictures of the MB5 mounting arrangement and I'll post them below so that you can take a look. You can compare them to your picture above and to your own bike.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #39
vwnate1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Thumb Mo-Ped Fun !

Seriously folks , until you've Tiddled , you've not lived .

I have joined several of these rides and lemme tell ya , they'd be heavily taxed if the Gov't found out how much fun we have .

Don's hommade Lifan powered rockets are simply amazing

Sadly , I'll have to miss the 4.27 ride (and it's a great one) as the V.J.L.A. is doing the Hansen Dam British ride.....
vwnate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #40
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu
Count me as one of the ex-moped owners, too. Peugeot 103!

Took the baffle out of the muffler, it would cruise 40 and hit 55 on the bigger hills. No baffle, no helmet, no license, no clue, no problem!
Yep, that the one I had too . I had years of fun on it, including 'off-road'...

Excellent report!
Old 04-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #41
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 24,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWeaver
Before I read your story I've always referred to my first motorcycle as my Suzuki GS1000...completely forgot about the Peugeot moped I received as a high school graduation present in 1978!

Great story and thanks for sending me down the '2-stroke memory lane'...
I used to take my Honda Aero50 off roading. Bet the crap out of that little scoot and it never died.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #42
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,850
Great thread and pictures. Reminds me of when I was a kid. My father had a 1937 Franklin Doctor's Coupe, aluminum 6 cyl engine, oak frame, aluminum body. I use to drag race mopeds with it and could smoke them as they didn't pedal assist.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #43
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Myron's Rides

I just got a notice from Shaun ( Myron's Moped owner) that he and others are a little concerned about big bikes on the rides. Here is what he sent out.

"
The subject of allowing big bikes in the "moped" rides has been brought up by several members.
Most of the regular people have mopeds, or small motorcycles similar to mopeds.
If you ask all the regulars, the majority would say "only allow small motorcycles and scooters".
What has happened in the last few months is the new line "Scooters and motorcycles also welcome."
The current Ride 60 Invitation does not say scooters and motorcycles are welcome. That's the way it used to be.
So there's some ambiguity. I'm gonna do what I think most regular attendees would want me to do,
and say "Small scooters and motorcycles are welcome", which implies that big ones are only tolerated.
Then there's debate over what "small" is. Any policy can change if enough regular attendees want the change.
If you can lift it in the bed of the '05 Chevy Colorado following truck by yourself without a ramp then it's OK to bring.
That fits in with our current rescueing system. We could bend that rule a little if the driver, Joseph, helps lift it.
If you have a side car, trike, or a heavy bike, over 200 lbs, you will need your own rescue truck.
Besides, going slow is not as fun on a big bike. Small bikes rule the 30-50mph speed range, where we cruise at.
Bring a big bike once or twice to try out the water, then bring a moped size bike if you want to be a regular.

See you at the 40mph fun-races!
Your dedicted ride server,
Shaun"

Little and interesting bikes are fun to see, but big production bikes don't fit in on this type of ride too well. I think the big bikes would get bored in a hurry.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #44
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
awesome thread.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #45
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova
awesome thread.
Yup, far too much stuff in this forum's archives that are little gems.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote