Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #16
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,584
I'm sure you'll like the 250 I got a 2007 XT225 and like it very much.You and I are the same size 5'10" and 170, and the bike fits me fine. I love the six speed trans, and yes, 1st is pretty low, but That'll come in handy in the dirt. My 225 is getting 85 miles per US gallon, which is great.
Have fun with your new XT.

Jon

Birdmove screwed with this post 04-13-2008 at 08:22 AM
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:45 AM   #17
DCUP OP
Devout Hedonist

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by norvegicus
Excellent!

I'd love to see your bike. We should do a comparison ride sometime. If you come this way (MQT) let me know.

I was really ecstatic when I found mine relatively local. I wasn't looking forward to hauling it home from southern WI, which is where most of the bikes I found were. I was very happy to give Fish and Hunt Shop the business as well. Good guys.
Ah yes, Curtis. Not too far from here. Never dealt at that shop, good to hear your deal went well.

If I do go that way, I'll shoot you a PM in advance.
DCUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:47 AM   #18
DCUP OP
Devout Hedonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Eye Mike
Hey Dere all yous yoopers,
I'm originally from Iron MT and now live in Alaska. I'm riding my GS 1150 down to Kingsford this August, then back to Alaska. i'll have to stop in Marquette for a beer.

Mike.
I used to hunt near Loretto quite a bit. Lots of deer there.

Beer in Marquette? You mean they have bars there? Who knew?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #19
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCUP
I bought a new 2008 XT250
with a $20 gas card, which can either last a month in my bike or 2 days in my truck. .
Put it in the truck. You'll get 6 gallons tomorrow. In a month you might only get 3 gallons.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:39 AM   #20
DCUP OP
Devout Hedonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
Put it in the truck. You'll get 6 gallons tomorrow. In a month you might only get 3 gallons.
Got the bike yesterday and put the first couple gallons toward filling the bike, then the "rest" went into the truck....didn't even move the needle!

I read yesterday the national average is $3.70/gal. I guess we're OK at $3.50-ish.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:32 AM   #21
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr
If one of your high priorities is gas mileage, that might rule out the DRZ400S. The five-speed vs. six-speed issue is possibly not quite as big an advantage for the 225 as some people think. What Yamaha has done with the new 250 is spread the gears out farther, so there is more of a gap between each gear. The 250 isn't quite as wide from low to high as the 225, but it's close. How they do on the highway depends on vibration as well as gearing.

The closest thing to a direct comparison I've seen is from Duckspanker. You might want to PM him for more information:

As far as gear ratios go, here's the comparison, widest to narrowest, of some bikes in this class. Note that the 5-speed Yamahas have wider gear spacing than the six-speed KLR or KLX 250s:

3.90 Yamaha XT225 (6 speed) 19.69
3.78 Honda CRF230L (6 speed) 19.12
3.63 Kawasaki Sherpa 250 (6 speed) 18.30
3.46 Yamaha XT250 2008 (5 speed) 17.50
3.45 Yamaha TW200 (5 speed) 17.43
3.36 Yamaha WR250R/WR250X (6 speed) 16.99
3.32 Kawasaki KLR250 (6 speed) 16.76
3.15 Kawasaki KLX250 (6 speed) 15.91

If you care about what the numbers mean you can read it in the opening post in the five-speed vs. six-speed thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281742Here are some threads:

fuel mileage 225 vs. 250 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319350

on the 250 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290853

Other ADVriders you might want to PM for information are justacommuter and The Cameraman.
The biggest improvement for either of these bikes is going to be throwing away those cheap chinese tires. They handle terrible. I levered on a set of Pirelli MT21's which come in the exact size for the XT225 and these feel MUCH better. Good to here the gear spread on the XT250 is pretty close to the 225. I love the XT225.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #22
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
Congrats amigo, these bikes are fun and give great MPG. I don't have either bike but a Tornado (250 cc HOnda) and love it, ride it almost everyday, I also have a KLR 650 but only use it for when I am doing the Interstate in the US.

The more you use it, the more you will love it. go to www.turbocity.com to see what they got. They have some great customer service..

See you

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #23
DCUP OP
Devout Hedonist

Thanks for the input, gents!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #24
Xandat
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Marquette here, planning on getting a xt250.
Xandat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #25
norvegicus
waiting for spring...

Oddometer: 220
I'm in Marquette, very much enjoying my XT225...

There seem to be quite a few yoopers here...
Old 05-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #26
DCUP OP
Devout Hedonist

Yeah, all 6 of us post here.

My XT250 got just under 70mpg on the last tank, which was only my third fill up. I will fill up again tomorrow and try to post the mileage if it's significantly better.

Just passed 600 miles and changed the oil tonight. Maybe that'll be good for a few more mpg?

BTW, it's definitely true that the speedo and odo are off. I have it at about a 5% overage, thus giving a false mpg reading. The above figure is with my own personal adjustment factored it. Anyone else do any calculations regarding the mph error?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:35 AM   #27
wide open
in second gear

Oddometer: 351
Yeah, your speedo will be off - that's true of most motorcycles. Late model Harleys have pretty good speedos, but try riding one to your hunting camp!

A few ideas for youse, DCUP:

1) www.xt225.com - in addition to this fantastic board, the xt225 board has great folk and info about the XTs, including the new 250.

2) Searching here and on the xt225 board will get you lots of info on racks, which for your purposes sound like something you need. Meself, I'm very happy with my turbo city rack - www.turbocity.com - I think it is.

3) I don't know what tires come on the 250, but tires on a motorcycle are VERY important to your riding experience and safety. Motorcycles (and skilled riding of same) are all about TRACTION.
If the 250 comes with half-assed knobbies like the 225, you'll REALLY benefit from better tires. If you're going to be on pavement and smooth dirt roads most of the time rather than single track trails and mud, some dual sport tires like Anakees or something would be good, but you have to find out what fits your needs and your rims - again search both boards.

4) Most important, and sorry if I sound like some cyber-daddy-nazi, but REALLY learn how to ride! Take MSF courses and read Dave Hough's books at a friggin' minimum. The XT is just a putt-putt - doesn't seem like you could really get hurt on it, but you can.
Read the face plant section, and do everything you can to make sure we don't read about you there.

Rant off.

Enjoy - the XTs are a blast!
wide open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #28
DCUP OP
Devout Hedonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide open
Yeah, your speedo will be off - that's true of most motorcycles. Late model Harleys have pretty good speedos, but try riding one to your hunting camp!

A few ideas for youse, DCUP:

1) www.xt225.com - in addition to this fantastic board, the xt225 board has great folk and info about the XTs, including the new 250.

2) Searching here and on the xt225 board will get you lots of info on racks, which for your purposes sound like something you need. Meself, I'm very happy with my turbo city rack - www.turbocity.com - I think it is.

3) I don't know what tires come on the 250, but tires on a motorcycle are VERY important to your riding experience and safety. Motorcycles (and skilled riding of same) are all about TRACTION.
If the 250 comes with half-assed knobbies like the 225, you'll REALLY benefit from better tires. If you're going to be on pavement and smooth dirt roads most of the time rather than single track trails and mud, some dual sport tires like Anakees or something would be good, but you have to find out what fits your needs and your rims - again search both boards.

4) Most important, and sorry if I sound like some cyber-daddy-nazi, but REALLY learn how to ride! Take MSF courses and read Dave Hough's books at a friggin' minimum. The XT is just a putt-putt - doesn't seem like you could really get hurt on it, but you can.
Read the face plant section, and do everything you can to make sure we don't read about you there.
Got 71.25 mpg on this tank after doing my calculations w/odo error factored in.

I've been on the 225 board and it is good, but not nearly as active as this one.

The tires seem to work fine for me. I go easy and don't try to test either their limits or my own. An easy, safe (but cold) commute is the name of the game for me.

I have a rack on order already from turbo city. I gotta call - it should have been here I think. It's been over a week.

Thanks for the input. I'm always trying to learn more!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #29
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,565
You guys need to check in on our very own regional thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315025

Now we just need to put together a ride!
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #30
DCUP OP
Devout Hedonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper_drz
You guys need to check in on our very own regional thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315025

Now we just need to put together a ride!
Looks like a blast, but I can't go. I'll be in grad class all June and working on my final project during July. After that, I'll have my Master's and can breathe easy for a while.