andrerav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
What the.. is that a CB350/400/450 engine? Wow
Old 05-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #617
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer: 609
New forks arrived today, no thanks to living on a block of land that faces 2 streets and has confused couriers for YEARS. The new forks aren't much longer than the road forks, however the fork inners are considerably longer than those on my GSX, I'll have to take one apart and measure up, but I have a feeling that it may well work well as the ts185 forks have the axle mount about 5-7cm up the side of the tube, and the gsx250 tubes have the axle mount at the bottom.

Thank god I've already got spare forks, because if I cock this up/change my mind, it ain't going to be too hard to revert what I did.
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #618
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,504
overcareful that you do not get too little trail, by loosing wheel offset. when you take the axle from in front of the forks to under the forks you loose trail. You either have to ride and see or do the math and see if the trail is going to be to short and cause hading issues at speed.
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #619
johnwesley
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs View Post
I did a few mods to my XR460/4 fitting up the Malcolm Smith fuel tank and 'Rallye' Screen

It was running like a cut snake, once the Dyna S ignition and coils were installed.

Went to head off on a ride and the fuel tank split near the top tank mount and that was the end of the ride. I am going back to the steel tank and get it modified to clear the forks and a bit bigger capacity. The joys of custom building bikes

sweet bike love the look, mean and nasty
Old 05-12-2011, 04:29 AM   #620
DUALATP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Is that a coyote skin your riding on...?....sharp

ATP's Termiter...
DUALATP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #621
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Cheers for the heads up, i'll certainly be checking out the setup & making sure the trail won't be too steep..
Old 05-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #622
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
overcareful that you do not get too little trail, by loosing wheel offset. when you take the axle from in front of the forks to under the forks you loose trail. You either have to ride and see or do the math and see if the trail is going to be to short and cause hading issues at speed.
Actually it's the opposite. The less offset, the MORE trail, stability is enhanced, however steering is slowed in proportion.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #623
johnwesley
wanta be

thanks for clearing that up I do get things backwards alot, I studied it in depth with the sporty build and now that I have that part done on it the cobwebs are creeping in
Old 05-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #624
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Well i had a fun time in the garage this afternoon. Took the crashguard off as well as all the screws holding the sprocket cover on and got a bit of measuring happening.

Here is a pic of the proposed new rear shock, for those wondering it's on the second highest preload of about 5-6 steps, I'll probably be backing it off one or so as it's a moderately stronger (it's the front shock from a quad bike) and it's 3-3.5cm longer at this preload setting.

Chain has 2.5cm clearance at the moment

Here's my guestimate of the rear geometry with this new shock.

I am going to likely have to put one of those nylon chain guards there as it appears according to my half educated/hopefully accurate drawing that i'll have 15-16mm or so space between the swingarm and chain with the new shock. [edit] yes i am aware i may have naffed the accuracy of the rear sprocket/chain slightly, but still the measurement of clearance after i ammended it (not shown) is still within .5mm of what i wrote earlier, now it's about 14.5-15.5mm of clearance instead.[/edit]

After i got that far with the shocks i figured i should make a start on the forks and see what i could make of them and if i spent my money well or badly. The "broken" gsx fork was an peice of cake to take apart compared to the headaches i've had in the past. The ts-185 forks were a right bastard, with the spacer tube having corroded solidly in place, taking a lot of "penetrene" as well as coercing with a mallet and a screwdriver. I have the spring of one out, but for the life of me i CANNOT get the valve to seperate from the bolt at the bottom of the tube. I have used a vice attached to a workbench to grip the outer tube and put a scissor jack underneath and pushed up and had a go at it with a hex key, but it just spins.

I then sprayed in a bunch of penetrene inside the tube to loosen any corrosion between the valve and the bolt, reassembled it up tight and then tried using trailer tie down straps with the hooks attached to the top of the fork tube in a removal recess, looped down and around bolts firmly screwed into the side of the tube and ratcheted it as tight as i could to put as much pressure against the valve as possible, no dice.

Now i'm leaving the bastard to soak for a few hours and may attack it again tomorrow. I'm also going to go in search of an 8mm socket attachment that can fit my rattle gun in order to try and persuade that sonofabitch to come out.

Any other methods i could try? I've done searches on google for specifics or quirks relating to this particilar model, but it seems a "plain old fork" from what little i can find on the net about these things.

What's the bet once i get this one apart the other one is going to come apart as-smooth-as-can be

mike-s screwed with this post 05-13-2011 at 09:33 AM
Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #625
johnwesley
wanta be

you can build a rub block out of cutting board from wally world

Old 05-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #626
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Sweet! i have one sitting beside the fridge that has otherwise outlived it's usefulness that i had not yet gotten around to turfing. Now I have a reason to keep it, or at least a small part of it.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #627
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-s View Post
Any other methods i could try?

What's the bet once i get this one apart the other one is going to come apart as-smooth-as-can be
Can you plug it up and fill it with HOT oil? I used that to free a piston.

Smooth...don't bet on it

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #628
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Well I was saying that fully expecting Murphy to be a sarcastic sunovabitch.
Hot oil, interesting.

Will be heading out shortly to try and get the M8 allen socket to see if i can get any headway with that first.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #629
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,576
might work in your case

here's my unstuck jug.

after vaccuming out a full combustion chamber of non-combustables...

oil was heated to near flash point...be very careful!

Hot oil poured into jug and allowed to exchange heat. A 3lb sledge would not budge it, had to get a bigger hammer!

Over 30 loud whacks later, and was just about to give up...

ah ha...
she's free...
So don't give up, just regroup and try again!

youtube vid of the "rust bucket". A video showing the aspects of salvaging parts from some junkers that sat in a field for 15 years.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #630
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,735
Haha, I did the same with a 250 Ducati. It had been stored with the spark plug out, and something had put it's little youngster in the hole, and fed it through the hole, till it was too big to get out. Years later I tried to remove the cylinder, and the corrosion had pretty much welded the piston to the cylinder. With a wood block underneath, and a sledge hammer I beat it (much like your photo) till I blew the cylinder into two. I severed the iron sleeve right at the rings (whoops).