ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #16
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Since we're listing out feature suggestions...

I'd like the ability to set the level of detail that gets shown in the map, similar to MapSource and the GPS itself. Drawing a lot of detail on the map is rather slow, even on a dual-G5 powermac.

Maybe just some optimizations in the map-drawing code?
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #17
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
We currently have plans to allow you to adjust the detail level of the map drawing. This will be included in an upcoming beta.
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #18
jaybob
Living the Dream

Oddometer: 505
So I knew that Garmin didn't work with Macs, I came here to research GPS units and just today there is a brand new thread for Mac software to be used with Garmin GPS. I think it must be a sign.

Now which one should I buy?

Don't worry, I'm still searching, but if someone has a good suggestion on which unit is perfect for someone who likes to explore back roads and backcountry on everything from skiis, to motorsickles, send me a PM. Lately, I've taken to printing up Google Earth snapshots before I take off. I'm a bit of a weight weeny.

Thanks Brian and

Go Mac!

J
Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #19
thejosh
Chump

Oddometer: 454
i don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01lc4intheham
Try dragging and dropping. Worked for me.
how can you drag and drop from one route into another? how can you open two "route properties" windows at once? I am playing with the program now but can't get it to work.
2002 DR725! "Quasi-Moto"
thejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #20
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejosh
how can you drag and drop from one route into another? how can you open two "route properties" windows at once? I am playing with the program now but can't get it to work.
On the left of the Bobcat window you have two sections; one with the folders at the top and then one with the contents at the bottom. Go to the "part 2" folder that has the waypoints you want to add to your original route. Select those waypoints and drag them up to the folder in the upper window. You will be able to add them to the folder up there. You can then open up the "Part 1" route editing window and drag the files that you just added to the route editing window. That should work.
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #21
thejosh
Chump

Quote:
On the left of the Bobcat window you have two sections; one with the folders at the top and then one with the contents at the bottom. Go to the "part 2" folder that has the waypoints you want to add to your original route. Select those waypoints and drag them up to the folder in the upper window. You will be able to add them to the folder up there. You can then open up the "Part 1" route editing window and drag the files that you just added to the route editing window. That should work.
both routes are in the same folder. and they are routes and not individual way points. i will try to make a different folder and see if i can do something there.
sorry, I appreciate the help and i am not trying to be dense i just cant figure this thing out.
2002 DR725! "Quasi-Moto"
Old 04-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #22
thejosh
Chump

wait!

if they are in the same folder, does that mean that the whole route will load up to the GPS? what i mean is: even if it is in 2 parts in the folder, will it still come out as one whole route?
2002 DR725! "Quasi-Moto"
Old 04-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #23
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
if they are in the same folder, does that mean that the whole route will load up to the GPS? what i mean is: even if it is in 2 parts in the folder, will it still come out as one whole route?
I forgot you were just using the route tool and not just adding waypoints to create a route. I am not sure if it will or not...I'll try it out and see.
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #24
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
both routes are in the same folder. and they are routes and not individual way points. i will try to make a different folder and see if i can do something there.
sorry, I appreciate the help and i am not trying to be dense i just cant figure this thing out.
TheJosh,

This is an issue with the software currently. We do not currently support appending to a route that was previously closed, however we are implementating some changes that will allow this.

The reason you don't see individual waypoints in those folders is because each of the route nodes in your routes are map points, which are not saved as waypoints, but rather as just route nodes that are built on top of existing points. Therefore their is no way to append your track part 1 with the data from part 2. That being said, as a work around for the time being if you create waypoints at each location you would want your route to go and then drag all these waypoints into a new route you should achieve what you want. So use the waypoint tool and click on the points in the route where you want to go and recreate your route using these points instead.

Hopefully that makes sense, since it is getting late my mind may be going
Old 04-15-2008, 07:29 AM   #25
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,487
Welcome, Brian.

I'm running Bobcat 2.0.0.3 and it works fine. Doesn't appear buggy to me at all.

But a few suggestions:

1. There isn't really software comparable to Microsoft Streets and Trips for the Mac. If we want mapping software, we generally have to be connected to the internet and use Google Maps or Yahoo Maps.

Have you considered expanding Bobcats functionality to be more of a generic mapping / trip planning program?

I'd strongly make this suggestion. Hell, you could even market (sell) it to a whole new market segment.

2. I need more street level detail when I looking thru Bobcat. I can get the detail I want, but only when I'm zoomed in. I'd like to have this detail when I'm zoomed a bit further out.

3. Can Bobcat display Hotels, Campgrounds, Fuel Stops, Rest Areas, etc? It would make trip planning easier.

Thanks!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #26
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
Welcome, Brian.

I'm running Bobcat 2.0.0.3 and it works fine. Doesn't appear buggy to me at all.

But a few suggestions:

1. There isn't really software comparable to Microsoft Streets and Trips for the Mac. If we want mapping software, we generally have to be connected to the internet and use Google Maps or Yahoo Maps.

Have you considered expanding Bobcats functionality to be more of a generic mapping / trip planning program?

I'd strongly make this suggestion. Hell, you could even market (sell) it to a whole new market segment.

This is something we have been discussing recently, however I don't have a very strong answer for you. This type of functionality will most likely be available either as part of Bobcat in the future or as a seperate application, that is the extent of my knowledge.

2. I need more street level detail when I looking thru Bobcat. I can get the detail I want, but only when I'm zoomed in. I'd like to have this detail when I'm zoomed a bit further out.

We will be allowing you to adjust the detail level of the maps in the next release or release after that.

3. Can Bobcat display Hotels, Campgrounds, Fuel Stops, Rest Areas, etc? It would make trip planning easier.

This is also an issue with the detail level. All of these POI's appear on the map if you are zoomed in really far (I think within 300ft). Once you can change the detail level you can force them to appear whenever you want.

Thanks!!!

See my inline comments above...
Old 04-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #27
boulderbean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
exporting data

Quote:
I am able to see the time stamp on my tracks. See below. I would be nice for the program to centered on track points as you click them though (maybe this will be included when the track tool is implemented).

I have been using a garmin gps and mapsource for some years. One of the features that I like, that I am having trouble with in bobcat is exporting the data from a track.
I save the data when I take a trip and plot it using excel against some data from another device. With bobcat the time and location exports into the text based file, but the speed and elevation/altitude data does not. I can see and use it in bobcat as shown in the previous post but not after exporting.

This is an improvement I would like to see.

Thanks and glad to see garmin, and yourself, taking an interest in how we use the devices and software
Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #28
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybob
So I knew that Garmin didn't work with Macs, I came here to research GPS units and just today there is a brand new thread for Mac software to be used with Garmin GPS. I think it must be a sign.

Now which one should I buy?

Don't worry, I'm still searching, but if someone has a good suggestion on which unit is perfect for someone who likes to explore back roads and backcountry on everything from skiis, to motorsickles, send me a PM. Lately, I've taken to printing up Google Earth snapshots before I take off. I'm a bit of a weight weeny.

Thanks Brian and

Go Mac!

J

i have a 76csx that is handheld for hiking, snowboarding, and of course riding.
the 60 is a little smaller than the 76 and i've heard good things about it, but i like the 76csx cuz its got an altimeter and will float in water.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #29
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,629
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #30
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Brian,
Just so we're all using the same terminology, could you comment on the differences between the following:

Waypoint -

Map point -

Via point -

Other points?

Also, any comment on being able to force Bobcat to autoroute in an identical manner as a user's handheld with the same user's handheld settings?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote