ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #31
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Brian,
Just so we're all using the same terminology, could you comment on the differences between the following:

Waypoint -

Map point -

Via point -

Other points?

Also, any comment on being able to force Bobcat to autoroute in an identical manner as a user's handheld with the same user's handheld settings?

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #32
Mike_Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Updating Map

I have a question, but first some background info:

I have a Zumo 550 and am running Bobcat 2.0.0.3 on an Intel Macbook under Leopard. I converted the map DVD that came with the Zumo (City Navigator North America NT V8) on a friend's PC. That map now appears and operates properly in Bobcat.

I noticed that City Navigator North America NT 2009 Map Update has been released. So, my question has 2 parts:

1. Can I install this map update on the Zumo via the Macbook? I believe I need to use the MapInstall program to do this, right?

2. Will installing this map update also result in updating the map used by Bobcat on the Macbook? Do I need to do anything else to make that happen?
Mike_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #33
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Brian,
Just so we're all using the same terminology, could you comment on the differences between the following:

Waypoint - A waypoint is a user created "favorite" that is created by using the waypoint tool. You can also create a waypoint by using the route tool if you click on a location that does not have any map data defined at that point (for instance, if you click in the middle of the ocean no preexisting point is their so it will create a waypoint).

Map point - A map point is a point that is defined in the map data. All built in POI's are map points.

Via point - A via point is a point in a route that you personally have chosen to route to. These are points that you click with the route tool, or waypoints added to the route. This does NOT include any points added when directions are calculated.

Other points? You may hear me refer to route nodes at some point. Route nodes are any point in a route (map points, via points, etc). This includes points that we don't draw on the map as well, ie at a turn.

Also, any comment on being able to force Bobcat to autoroute in an identical manner as a user's handheld with the same user's handheld settings?
Hopefully my explanations above are adequate. These different types of points can be complicated at times and the devices handle them differently so it is important to know what each means.

As far as being able to match routes between Bobcat and your device... it may work. Let me explain why I say it *may* work...

The code we use to generate route calculations is the same code that is used on any newer devices. Our code is updated frequently, so its possible that your device will have an older set of route calculation code which may cause you to see different route calculations. If you happen to have a device with up to date route calculation code, then if you have the same route settings on your device as the ones in Bobcat you will get the same route. If your device is a bit older and has an older version of this code then your route in Bobcat may be different then the route your device creates.
GarminMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #34
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Mc
I have a question, but first some background info:

I have a Zumo 550 and am running Bobcat 2.0.0.3 on an Intel Macbook under Leopard. I converted the map DVD that came with the Zumo (City Navigator North America NT V8) on a friend's PC. That map now appears and operates properly in Bobcat.

I noticed that City Navigator North America NT 2009 Map Update has been released. So, my question has 2 parts:

1. Can I install this map update on the Zumo via the Macbook? I believe I need to use the MapInstall program to do this, right?

2. Will installing this map update also result in updating the map used by Bobcat on the Macbook? Do I need to do anything else to make that happen?
1. Yes. Please note that we have two versions of City Navigator North America 2009. You asked about the "Map Update" which has its own installer (ie no need for MapInstall). FYI, the other version is a standalone version that would require MapInstall. Basically, if you have a version of CN installed on your device then get the update, if not get the standalone version. Same maps, just one is a bit more expensive because it is not an upgrade.

2. The CN NA 2009 Map Update will result in the maps being installed on your Mac as well as on your device. Please be careful of one thing for me however... CN NA 2008 Map Update does NOT install on your Mac as well so make sure you get the 2009 version which just hit store shelves today.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #35
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,076
Just emailed an "error report" from trying to install the CN 2009 NT on my Mac.

Nevermind :rosannerosannadanna

My Mac was freshly booted, but there must have been a problem with what it downloaded when it looked for an executable update at the start. I rebooted again, ran it, and it's chugging along now, installing the maps first on my Mac and then on my zumo after putting in the registration code to unlock them.

This might be way cool, one step, to put City Nav 2009 NT on my Mac for Bobcat and on the GPS

PhilSpace screwed with this post 04-15-2008 at 06:20 PM
PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #36
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,191
So my GPSmap 176 (and the maps etc) are so old that they will never be useable on my Mac?

That's a major bummer.

JJ
Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #37
GarminMac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
So my GPSmap 176 (and the maps etc) are so old that they will never be useable on my Mac?

That's a major bummer.

JJ
Your older maps can be converted on a Windows PC using our software MapConverter and copied to a Mac to use in our software. Please see www.garmin.com/mac for details.

While I am talking about map conversion I thought I would take some time to answer people's questions about why we can't just write a version of MapConverter for the Mac and skip the whole Windows part. We tried really hard to make this work, however their are technical difficulties that we couldn't overcome. Microsoft provides a different set of compression libraries that Apple doesn't and unfortunately the maps on the older discs are using a Windows only compression format which prevents us from decompressing them on the Mac. So, unfortunately you are stuck using Windows for the conversion, but as has been noted here previously, we are releasing many maps in Mac native forms now.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #38
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
I just can't wait til the next revision so I can finish my TAT planning by converting all the routes and waypoints to tracks.
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 AM   #39
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,191
I gotta say that this is going way faster and better than the last time I tried this. So far all I have to do is complete the file transfer and install the maps into Bobcat.

I've been waiting for this for over 6 years.

Yeee Hah.

JJ
Old 04-16-2008, 03:42 AM   #40
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01lc4intheham
I am able to see the time stamp on my tracks. See below. I would be nice for the program to centered on track points as you click them though (maybe this will be included when the track tool is implemented).

I'm not... using a 60Csx. Is there a setting on the handheld that I don't have activated?

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:51 AM   #41
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Ah. I think I just figured out what happened: Your track has been read directly from your handheld. Mine was first read from my handheld, then I exported it to email it to someone, then I re-imported that file to test if it looked OK. Those are the tracks I'm looking at. So it seems that the export-import process strips the track of time (and speed) data.

Brian, comments? is this intentional?

Also, are "track points" another sub-species of points?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 04-16-2008, 04:01 AM   #42
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarminMac
As far as being able to match routes between Bobcat and your device... it may work. Let me explain why I say it *may* work...

The code we use to generate route calculations is the same code that is used on any newer devices. Our code is updated frequently, so its possible that your device will have an older set of route calculation code which may cause you to see different route calculations. If you happen to have a device with up to date route calculation code, then if you have the same route settings on your device as the ones in Bobcat you will get the same route. If your device is a bit older and has an older version of this code then your route in Bobcat may be different then the route your device creates.
Brian, which are the "newer" and which are the "older" units? I guess what I'm asking is for a feature to force Bobcat to emulate routing as an "older" handheld would route... (I know, I know... the better solution is to buy a newer unit )

That way you could test your route, virtually "prerunning" it in Bobcat, instead of transferring it to your handheld, and letting it route in Demo mode, or even worse, getting out on your ride and finding out that instead of the twisty dirt road Bobcat routed you down, your handheld decided to take you through the suburban shopping mall parking lot via the interstate.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:23 AM   #43
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,076
Brian, one question on where things are stored. I just installed City Nav 2009 and would like to remove the old map set. What's the best way to remove an old map set, such as my old City Nav 2008? I looked in ~\library and some other places and didn't see anything obvious.

TIA,

Phil
PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:42 AM   #44
bombarde
DL650AK7 - K75

Oddometer: 260
Mapping release designations -- clear as mud

Hi Brian, I ordered City Navigator NA NT 2008 DVD for Mac a few weeks ago from a Garmin vendor and was told to wait because a new version was coming out.

Yesterday, I received this: "There will not be an update 2009 version for Mac since this is already a new version."

So my question is whether or not the newest maps on the 2009 PC DVD are the same as the ones on the 2008 Mac DVD.

Garmin has no equal when it comes to this kind of confusion!
bombarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:45 AM   #45
jdbski
old but getting younger

Oddometer: 443
Welcome Brian,
I look forward to using all of the great features of my Garmin unit, with my mac in the very near future. And you will find the gang here very helpful with ideas and suggestions. Most of all lets get it all done soon!
jdbski is offline   Reply With Quote