User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
huskerchen OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Honda Reflex, is it too big for me?

I am looking for a scooter for my daily commute, I am looking at Yamaha Vino 125 and Honda Reflex 250. I am 5'7, 150lb, is Honda Reflex too big for me? I saw a Burgman 400 and felt it is a bit too big for me daily 10 mile total commute/errands. The measure of Honda Reflex seems to be similar to Burgman 400 but I see many comments saying it is small. I like the Yamaha Vino 125 but I don't seem to find a good used one.

Thanks!
huskerchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
I suggest you find a Honda dealer and sit on one. I was in the market shortly for a maxi-scoot until I realized they were just too far out of my range.

Anyways, I tried sitting on a few and the reflex felt the smallest to me. The measurements are probably the same as all the other similar scoots but it looks and felt a litle smaller than the others.

The best thing you can do is go fnd a way to sit on one.
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
ernest t bass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Don't forget, that extra weight & wheelbase length will make the Reflex much more stable and road worthy. More visible in traffic too.

A Reflex with its 80 mph top speed will cruise easily at speeds that will make a 125 breathless
Old 04-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerchen
I am looking for a scooter for my daily commute, I am looking at Yamaha Vino 125 and Honda Reflex 250. I am 5'7, 150lb, is Honda Reflex too big for me? I saw a Burgman 400 and felt it is a bit too big for me daily 10 mile total commute/errands. The measure of Honda Reflex seems to be similar to Burgman 400 but I see many comments saying it is small. I like the Yamaha Vino 125 but I don't seem to find a good used one.

Thanks!
I have known people your size that rode goldwings. If you feel comfortable on the reflex it should do you well.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
You are the same size as my wife, she has no problems at all on it.
The CG is super low and it feels very light.
As said, the cruise speed of the Reflex allows you to run it on any road and if desired is quite tour capable.

Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Bikes and scooters always seem large at first. Crowded showrooms enhance the appearance of the bike's size. Most bikes I have owned seem huge when I first got them, but after a couple of weeks the size wasn't an issue, some even felt too small. To non-riders, my vstrom seems humongous but to me it fits me just right and I'm only 5'6" (considerably more than 150 though)

As long as you can touch the ground a little on each side, go for it. The Burg. 400, Majesty 400, and the Reflex will fit you fine.

bogey78
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
DR650Keith
Motorcycle Nutjob

Oddometer: 74
I've got a 2004 and it is very compact and light handling. Just a great vehicle, cruises at 70 and 75 with no apparent strain with short bursts to 80mph. Mileage is about 62 mpg if you do a lot of freeway, 65mpg if you stay on regular streets, 71mpg touring at 55-60 mph. Super comfortable seat, good wind protection, lots of carrying capacity. Maintenance is really easy, oil change is 1.2 quarts and it doesn't have a filter- just a metal screen to clean. Tires are about $60 mailorder, gets 10k on a front, 6k on a rear. Easy to change your own tires, too, as the bike has a centerstand.
The bike is as close to maintenance free as you can get, the enclosed belt drive is essentially no maintenance. I highly recommend the Reflex.
DR650Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,537
Another +1 on the Relfex. Easily fast enough for comfortable freeway travel, great MPGs, Honda reliability and parts availability. Should be SUPER comfy for someone "vertically challenged". The long floorboard lets you ride with your feet anywhere you want. I am 6'2" and I've owned 7 motorcycles and this was by far the most fun and easiest to "get on and ride". Plus, you just can't beat the trunk for unscheduled stops at the grocery store. The only thing I wouls suggest right off the bat is a seat pad - the seat, although well-shaped, is a bit hard.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:43 AM   #9
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633

Jory Squibb - a 65 year old handyman from Camden, Maine built a 100 mpg 3 wheeler from 2 Honda Elite scooters.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...mpg-3-wheeler/
Old 05-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
robobiker
NewRoundHere

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey78
Bikes and scooters always seem large at first. Crowded showrooms enhance the appearance of the bike's size. Most bikes I have owned seem huge when I first got them, but after a couple of weeks the size wasn't an issue, some even felt too small.

bogey78
I concur with this. When I first entered a show room to view bikes after passing my direct access I was over-awed with the apparent hugeness of the bikes there. Consequently I purchased the wrong bike for me first time because I was intimidated by the sheer size of the Vstrom, TDM and similar models which turned out to be the right bike for me (I now have a WeeStrom).

The only thing I have to watch is being careful at slow speeds on the Wee, since it is just a tad too high for me, but you get used to it. Now, when I get on a Honda CBF1000 or other large capacity bikes, they seem quite small and dinky in comparison.

Showroom environments seem to make bikes look twice as big as they really are.
robobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:05 AM   #11
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
The Reflex is not too big for you. It is remarkably light and easy to handle. It feels significantly smaller and lighter than the Burgman 400 or the Majesty. And I agree that most bikes tend to seem bigger in the showroom - that was certainly the case for me in 2003, when I bought a new Kawasaki Vulcan 500. It seemed so huge at the time, especially compared to the UJMs I use to ride in the 1970s. Now when I see a Vulcan 500, it seems really small. This was not the case with my WeeStom - it seemed huge when I bought it and huge when I sold it - lol!
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote