Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #331
EnduroDoctor
DEET

Oddometer: 157
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 181KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 153KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 140KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 118KB.

EnduroDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #332
EnduroDoctor
DEET

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 91KB.

Here are two brand new engines. DT400B and RT1B
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 142KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 94KB.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #333
EnduroDoctor
DEET

It looked like Sam Elliott was running for office in New Mexico...

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 95KB.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #334
EnduroDoctor
DEET

DEET's 2008 TAT Ride comes to a close...

Well, the Western 2008 TAT officially came to a close for me last Wednesday.
I flew down to Atlanta to pick up the TAT bike "weary warrior".

Our buddy, Ole 33 (Mr. Hospitality) gathered up all the remnants of the trip from Joe as he passed through on the way to the Keys.

I cannot say enough good stuff about Ole 33! What a great guy! And his understanding wife (who makes great brownies)!

Thanks again for storing my truck, and bike, and parts, and shipping me my laptop, and the food, and the accomodations, and friendship... a guy just couldn't be luckier to have a friend like Ed!

Here are some closing photos from the trip home....
Ed's Yamadawg....

The stable....
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 129KB.

Ed's new toy....
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 128KB.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #335
EnduroDoctor
DEET

And now... the weary warrior heads home... head held high!!!!

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 110KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 100KB.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #336
EnduroDoctor
DEET

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 120KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 93KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 116KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 117KB.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #337
EnduroDoctor
DEET

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 123KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 105KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 131KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 119KB.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #338
EnduroDoctor
DEET

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1010x758 and weights 111KB.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #339
EnduroDoctor
DEET

Life is Good!

OK... that's the DEET report.
Now the rest of you TAT Raiders need to post your stuff!

Sorry about the picture size!
I should have reduced them. Oh well!

EnduroDoctor screwed with this post 06-07-2008 at 09:49 PM
Old 06-08-2008, 06:27 AM   #340
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Thumb Definitely Top Ten Story in all ADV

I've read all with great interest & suspense. Incredible saga and now incredibile ride report with all the new Pics. Super thanks to EnduroDoctor for his fantastic photos!

Vance....what's left to say? You started it, you'll finish it. Ride on Brother!
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #341
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Well - as I had originally said waaaaay back in post number 99 (hard to believe there are 340 posts in this thread!), I will go back along with Vinnie and try to flesh out the trip and add some more pictures.

One thing we found out was that working from the road, there is not always a good internet connection, and after a days ride, pounding the keys in a hotel room is not that much fun!

Is this thing ever going to upload?

Well - to make a long story, even longer, a tad bit of background.

Originally, I and Mark were to leave SW Washington with 4 bikes in tow (2 - DT400's, 1 - DT360 and a DRZ400) Our plan was to rendevous with Dman in Pocatello, then take all 5 bikes to Monticello. Mark's twin 15 year old sons were going to drive our vehicle back home, then Dman's understanding wife was going to drive us down and bring that vehicle back home, leaving us and our gear and bikes in Monticello to do the ride. I mention this, because if you do a ride like this, there are logistics that you gotta figure out. Getting all your crap to the kickoff point, then getting it all home, with this many folks coming from different areas, makes it kind of like planning an invasion. That explains why we invited the Enduro Doctor due to his ex-military background.

As some of you already know, Mark had an unfortunate accident a day before we were to depart, smacking his foot into a tree on a short trail ride and tearing up his ligaments. When I got that call, I was, of course, concerned about Mark's foot, but hey - let's be serious here - how the heck was I going to get to Pocatello?!?

As all good friends do, Mark decided that since he was already scheduled off work, and his kids already were excused from school for a few days, he would still take me and all my assorted TAT equipment to Pocatello, then take the twins and their dirt bikes to Moab for a few days riding! Talk about taking one for the team!

We left at '0-Dark thirty from Longview, WA headed east along the Columbia Gorge.

(disclaimer - photo taken along the same route on last year's ride, but it gives you an idea!)

Arriving in The Dalles, OR, we stopped at the local mom and pop cycle shop and picked up Oregon ORV tags for the boys back east. There is some controversy whether we needed them, but at $10 for two years, it is cheap insurance against a $200 ticket! Oregon was the only state that needed special tags for the out of state bikes.

The drive to Pocatello is not really too exciting, but it was sunny, and we were propelled by adrenaline . . .

Mark at the Helm:

Makotosun (Gary) riding shotgun:

Apparently the Twins' Power drinks wore off after the stop at Subway:

In order to keep Mark company, I kept a steady flow of caffein in my system at all times:

We were in off and on again contact with Dman in Pocatello who was chomping at the bit (SEE THIS POST) but was really still getting his stuff ready. I think the moniker of "screaming turtles" would be good for our Gruppe T Shirt! Nick. Anthony, Joe Vance and Robert were heading west with the chase truck and a rental car (see - all this logistical stuff adds up!) at about the same time we were heading east. We were able to check on our progress and compare notes as we went.

Dave decided to meet us at the Junction of Highway 84 and Highway 86 in Idaho, which would save Mark and his boys about an hour detour via Pocatello.

We hooked up a some nameless mini mart and moved my bikes to Dave's truck, and offloaded all of my parts, cloths, electronics, etc. I also got an overpriced 110 inverter so I could use my laptop in the truck on the way to Moab, since my 12 volt adapter had died somewhere near Pendleton, Or. Dave and I decided to get some grub at the Carls Jr., and true to his normal experience they screwed up his burger - only discovered after getting back on the freeway! NO obligatory meal photos, as there was nothing of note.

Mark and the boys headed off towards Moab while Dave and I headed to Pocatello to load all of his stuff and extra bikes. Since Mark had dropped out, I was taking my main TAT bike, and a backup TAT prepped DT400:

(Backup Bike)

Dave took his TAT DT400 and his big Honda 650 as his backup:

(Dave's Backup)

We got all loaded except for a few loose items that needed to sit in the back of the truck, then hit the sack around 9:30 with a planned early start the next morning.

We arose to somewhat overcast skies in Pocatello, and only slightly chilly. Of course there is the obligatory pre-departure photos:

This actually proved to be a good learning experience, as I had never used the self timer on this camera before. It took a couple of misfires before we got this one.

My shirt logo is chosen just for this trip:

Then, after a short stop at the local store to stock up on chips, peanuts and caffeinated sodas, we hit to freeway towards Salt Lake with a goal that day of Monticello, Ut.

We made it to Price, UT before needing gas and raised the eyebrows of the locals with the truckload of vintage iron in tow.

Next it is on down the 191 towards the I-70 junction near Green River. Dave had scoured the TAT GPS tracks so figured we would be crossing the TAT trail just before the junction. It was obvious when we did.

You cross it just under the lower of the two "highway 6" logos on the map. At the left end of the red "trail" you will later see some photos of our "railroad crossing"! That brief sighting was not a good indication of what we were getting ourselves into!

Past Green River going east on I-70, you cross the trail again. We had to get off on the overpass to take a closer look. This sign was pretty accurate:

This gal did not like our presence very well:

You will see this photo angle taken again a few days from now:

Along I-70 in this area, the scenery is pretty much like this:

Finally we find a sign that we are moving closer to our goal:

I think there was a spontaneous round of applause that broke out int he truck, but I can't be sure. It is not clear in this photo, but the Lasalle Mountains in the distance still had a lot of snow - not a good omen for an 8:30 departure tomorrow morning!

We had talked Mark into having one of his kids drive our truck and trailer back to Pocatello on his way home from Moab, saving Dman's wife from doing it, and giving Dman a prayer of a chance of . . . Better leave that thought unprinted . That means we needed to find where he was staying in Moab, drop a couple of bikes, then head down to Monticello (about an hour away) drop everything else there, then drive the truck and trailer back to Moab, then ride our previously dropped bikes back to Monticello. Have I confused you yet? Can we say L O G I S T I C S ? This trip is getting complicated, but we are almost to Monticello.

We head up the Colorodo River valley from Moab towards the location of the hotel that Mark had given me directions to. We drive up the valley for a long time. MP5, MP7, MP9 - we decide that Mark is messed up and turn around to Moab to get better directions. The place we were looking for is the Red Cliffs Lodge and we can't figure out how anyone could get the OK to build anything up this pristine valley.

Back to Moab, get a map, and find out we were just not quite far enough. It is at MP14! Crap. Back up the valley to find this:

Crap - how much is Mark spending on this fiasco? We find out and decide that he is spoiling his kids a bit too much. The folks at the lodge are very helpful, and allow us to park a couple of dirt bikes WAAAAAAAAy out at the edge of the gravel lot, past all the Hummers and BMWs. No - they weren't GS's.

So off we go back down to Moab again, then off to Monticello for a predusk arrival!

What happened to the trailer? you ask - we decided it would be simpler to just toss it into the back of the truck so Mark's kid would not have to deal with a trailer. Worked pretty well. Probably saved some gas. Who knows.

We then hit the road back to Moab and the Red Cliff's Lodge and our bikes. Suit up and head back down the road to Monticello.

I had decided that this would be a good road test of my not completely broken in TAT bike, so I was riding it out front of Dave on his big Honda in case I had issues.

Not a fair fight, but I was able to keep up pretty well. I figured I'd rather have it break on the highway, than in the backcountry if it was going to burn up. Thankfully, no issues except an obvious need for a rejetting at the hotel. (I was still running very rich "break in" jetting.)

Back at the hotel, we all were doing last minute tweaking of the bikes, prepping misc, and loading everything else in the chase truck. This went on into the evening just a bit.

Dr. Enduro had already put his steed to bed early . . .

I never heard if Joe made him pay for 2/3 or the room or not

We all charged up our batteries, and made last minute arrangements, then hit the sack. Tomorrow would hopefully bring great adventure!

The next post should actually get to some TAT riding!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #342
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,584
Thanks for the report and all the great pics. I have been following it from the beginning and have really enjoyed it. Is there more to come?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #343
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

I will be updating with more pics and background stories from the rest of the trip. The above post is mostly just getting us to Monticello. The best is yet to come!
Old 06-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #344
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by makotosun
I will be updating with more pics and background stories from the rest of the trip. The above post is mostly just getting us to Monticello. The best is yet to come!
Alright cool!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #345
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Back in the Saddle Again . . . Monticello to Moab

After a few days of trying to get my Post TAT Ride life back into a semblance of order, I'll start back up with the more detailed ride report.

DISCLAIMER: You may have seen some of these pictures before, but since they are really good photos, you'll probably forgive me!

Dawn came early in Monticello on Saturday morning. When I first looked out the window at about 4:30, the parking lot was wet - glad we had slipped our bikes up on the sidewalk next to the rooms under the overhang.

I tried to go back to sleep for a bit, but the adrenline was pumping too hard for such things. I was not the only one.

Everyone finally got organized, packed, ate some grub,

(quite the motley looking crew - even after a shower!) and lined up for the obligatory pre-launch picture.

Left to Right: Robert - KTM 625, Dman - DT400, DEET - RT1 360 Superbike, Makotosun - DT400, Nick - Chase Truck, Joe - RT1 360, Vinnie - DT400

All the bikes fired, and we hit the trail taking US 191 north towards Moab and the hookup with the TAT. Turn East at North Long Drive and we are on Gravel. Get used to it. There is gonna be a LOT of this stuff coming.

Our initial goal is in the distance - The Lasalle Mt. Range.

Joe had a problem staying on the road . . .

And Vinnie takes a long drag off his Oklahoma Bottled Water before moving on.

As we get a bit closer, we approach the little town of Lasalle (wonder where that came from ) via Copper Well Road and Highway 46. We were a little concerned about fuel at this point as one of our members had forgotten to top off his main tank and had to hit one of the Kolpin's halfway to this point. Luckily, there was a neat little store and station next to the post office where we met up with Nick in the chase truck.

The pump was a kick as it was one of the old manual types, didn't take CCards, but still did a nice job of topping up the old girls.

We ran into a group of half a dozen large street bikes out for the day, and needless to say, we raised a few eyebrows.

After the stop it was back up the side of the mountain, looking for the pass that we hoped would take us to Moab, via this baby.

For some reason that escapes rational explanation, Vinnie decides that the fairly nice, gravelled, fire road we are travelling is simply not challenging enough for the boys, so he decides to deflower anyone who might be some sort of "Poser" on the trip. Dman, after watching the rest of us fishtail like some drunken teenagers after a prom, decides to go up the road. We soon discover he was the smart one.

I don't have a lot of pictures of the next little section, because I was holding onto my handlebars for dear life! It was basically wet rocks, mud, some snow, a few downed trees, and melting permafrost if you got off the trail! When I did get to take a breather I got to snap a few shots.

Doesn't look like much, but is was slicker than snot and filled with loose rocks.

You discover quickly on this type of trip who your friends are. There you are, up to your elbows in muck, stuck in a rut, and before assisting you, your buddy yells, "Hold it right there, I gotta get a picture . . ."

It happened on more than one occasion that day:

After extricating ourselves from this fine kettle of fish, we get back to the nice road that Dave had decided to take instead of the goat trail. Note to self, If you have a choice of following Vinnie or a VW - learn some German!

Much like a sophmore realizing his advances would never get past second base, we headed back down the mountain to LaSalle planning on dropping down around the south end of the LaSalle Range and going up the back roads on the western slope. Turned out the re-route was probably at least as much fun as the original!