Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2008, 02:11 AM   #346
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Shortly after that last photo, we re-connected with 191 and headed north into Moab.

The ride into Moab was quite uneventful. We stopped at a little Italian sandwich and pizza shop and had some lunch. The name escapes me, and I must have paid cash as it is not on my statement, but it had a great sandwhich and super pizza. No photos as I didn't want to get any cheeze on my camera.

We left there and fueled up again, and headed north on 191 across the Colorado river and up 191 to hook up once again with the TAT. So far today, we have had really no mechanical issues, no injuries, and it is really beginning to shape up into a really amazing trip. Little did we know at this point, what we were yet to run into!

About a mile or so north of town, you turn off of 191 and cross a RR track. We had passed this point on our way into town the day before, so kind of know what to expect. "Kind of" really means we know were the turn was. Not what the trail would be. As we had driven by this on the way down, Dave had exclaimed there was NO FREAKING WAY there was a road up the side of that mountain! . . . . He was wrong.

Before the assault, it is time for a film change.

Then it was up the TAT.

The green arrows indicate our direction of travel and the red arrows point to the yellow line that is our GPS track as it shows up in Google Earth. The photo of the film change was taken actually off to the left of the picture where we actually crossed the RR tracks. The upper yellow line is probably several hundred feet above the valley floor. Guardrails? We don't need no stinking guardrails!

After making the turn that headed back into the hills above you ride through a gorgeous vally carved out of the red rock.

This is a Google Earth snap of the route after the turn.

Where it looks like the cliff ends and the valley starts things were a bit less unnerving. Nice gravel and sand covered jeep roads. A fair amount of traffic as this is a popular jeep, mountain bike, and ATV trail.

This following Google shot shows the turn where we encountered a nasty hill climb. It was not that steep, but it was covered with about 5-6" of loose sand which was impregnated with lots of rocks of the baseball to softball size. Conveniently hidden under the sand . . .

Where the sharp turn is located is the bottom of the hillclimb.

I took a panorama from the top of the hill looking back at the way we came and then tried to duplicate the view in Google Earth and got this neat comparison:

The Computer Simulation:

The Real Meal Deal:

This gives you a pretty good comparison of how good the Google Earth images and 3-D terrain mapping is!

A little better view of the hill climb from the driver's perspective:

It actually was a lot more exciting the first time up!

After this little climb, the terrain was a combination of slickrock, sand, gravel and singletrack trails. We made pretty good time, including a stretch of highway you end up on transitioning between TAT sections.

After about an hour of balls to the wall down some fun but challenging gravel byways, we all needed some hydration. Fortunately we picked a bunch of rocks that were not being used by snakes for sunning.

From this point on it was decent gravel roads

until we reunited with I-70 at a spot that will look familiar to those of you who have been paying attention . . .

A short run into Green River down a blacktopped frontage road brought us to the end of riding for day one. The Motel 6 was not set up to put our bikes right outside our rooms, but enterprising TAT Gruppers are undaunted. It is a lot nicer to oil your chain and do other maintenance on the "grass" next to the pool . . .

No one seemed to mind . . .

A great buffet dinner at the little restaraunt next door

was the last order of business for the day before the gang hit the hay.

Tomorrow (assuming I get time to post) we will go from Green River to Salina - Things are just starting to get interesting!

makotosun screwed with this post 06-15-2008 at 02:30 AM
makotosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:17 AM   #347
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,469

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #348
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,573
Keep it coming.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #349
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
Nice video work makotosun-----really nice !!!

I suffered with mic problems myself till I got that new POV.1 from Viosport---maybe that's what you got coming ???
I just checked the Fedex site and my new POV camera should be delivered to my office tomorrow!

I will be posting some more stuff on the ride, day two, hopefully later tonight!
Old 06-16-2008, 07:15 PM   #350
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Gary, you saying it all, thanks,

Only real thing for Day one to add is the reroute we took from LaSalle was actually one hell of a good ride after busting snow. I think we could have busted the drifts there but time was critical and after an hour of grinding away, we needed miles behind us.

Keep it going,

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279

Vinnie the Snake screwed with this post 06-17-2008 at 03:01 PM
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #351
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Green River, UT to Salina, Ut

The end of Day 1 actually turned out to be a little erie for me personally . Nick had procured rooms at the Motel 6 where I had spent the summer of 1980 working on a pipeline as a laborer with a buddy from college. Even more weird was we ate at the same damn place I had eaten so many times before. Kinda funny when one passes along a trail how many times you may pass over it again.

The morning of Day 2 started with this. Kinda like the horse waiting to go, first thing I saw was the Mountain Bike.

Day 2 turned out to be a real blessing and challenge as well. Day started as normal. Little Navigation issue as this is part of the ride where the TAT is a little shady, took a little reroute before we finally dicided that the TAT route was the only way.

I had utilized google earth to get points, converted them into the garmin, then replotted them back to google earth for final confirmation I was on the right track. Here is the field result of the exercise. Close enough to give me some security I knew where we were at.

After the first turn, not much else could be said. TOTALLY Overwhelming the maginitude of the surroundings and how small I really felt.

DOCTORENDURO on the fly

Makotosun and Jgresh doing the same, taking it all in!!!!!!!!!!!

This way gentlemen, "Its all GOOD, lets Ride"

"Vinnie, you shitten me right? Your sure!!! OK, I go where the Yellow bike goes."

At the end of this trail we got separated by the big ass rocks. We couldnt have been more than 200 yards ahead of Makotosun and off in the distance I hear him grinding up the other side of the canyon. We called on the radio to get him to stop. Finally I could see him maybe a mile away, but he never saw us. Again, made me feel real damn small in that big world.

Makotosun worked his way back down and back to us, where in the end I think he was less than 200 yards away when he finally saw us. Very distrubing how big those damn rocks are, how small we are, and how damn easy it is to separate. STAY TOGETHER!!!!!!

More to come

Vinnie the Snake screwed with this post 06-17-2008 at 03:43 PM
Old 06-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #352
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Green River - They don't know the power of the Dark Side . . . .

How right you are Vinnie.

But I digress. On day three of the ride we woke up to nice weather in Green River, and since everyone had done their maintenance he night before, we were able to get things going fairly quickly.

What the heck have I gotten myself into this time?

After a day of some trials and tribulations yesterday, we all were starting out with high spirits and expectations. We also had some trepidation, as the Corerro maps indicated we would be coming to a "Dual Sport Bypass" today.

Riding through Green River on a Sunday morning was a bit eerie, as there wasn't a soul about, no traffic, just the 5 old Yammies and one KLR droning down the empty road. It could have been the beginning of a "B" movie from the 70's, but little did we know that the Utah terrain we would be seeing was of Schwartzenegger proportions!

Just before we got to the I-70 junction, the GPS indicated a turn down the frontage road, so like the mindless lemmings we tended to emulate on the trip, we all headed down the road. Dman was in the lead, following the Zumo down a track that quickly degraded to a two track dirt road,

then basically across the open desert until we reached the infamous RR crossing. I have some belief that the actual trail was on the OTHER side of the RR tracks, but who am I to say?

This led to a somewhat humorous attempt to get the bikes over the tracks before someone either arrested us for trespassing or a train came along and squished us.

Luckily, we all made it, though it truly was a group effort to get over.

A couple hundred yards past the crossing, we got to 191 where Dave and I had passed over it on our way from Pocatello, two days before. Then off down the frontage roads of I-70 for half and hour or so.

At that point, there was some confusion as to where the aforementioned "Dual Sport Bypass" was located, or what the "Non-Dual Sport" Route might entail, so Dman and Robert decided to take the highway route up to the next section. At first, I was sure they had made a good decision, as Vinnie routed us up what was clearly a "goats only" trail, which seemingly ended with no way around.

We headed back to the spot we had last seen the others,

and headed down I-70 a mile or two and got back on the trail via a gate along side of the freeway. The next section should have it's own thread as it was so amazing.

As we rode down the trail towards what appears in the distance to be an impregnable hillside, it becomes obvious that we are going into a special place. As we rounded the bend, the cliff opens up to a canyon that it should be considered a great privledge to ride in.

We stopped near the entrance to take it all in.

Almost a religious experience. Little did I know that shortly I would be trying to summons up Divine Assistance!

I knew I was reaching the end of my current roll of tape in the video recorder, so we stopped for a break and a tape change.

I was having some issues with the equipment, so Vinnie, Anthony and Joe headed off ahead, and about 10 minutes later I followed. What could go wrong? We were in a narrow canyon - right?

Well, as luck would have it, I made a wrong turn up what APPEARED to be the main trail up a long hillside. I could not raise anyone on the radio due to the canyons, so after going up this really neat road along the cliffs and dropoffs, Vinnie spots me fromt the other side of the canyon and in his calmest of voices says I should go back down and catch up with them. I go another 100 yards, turn around and backtrack to the missed turn, then up the proper goat trail. I finally caught up to them maybe a half an hour after they took off. As Vinnie stated, it is not a good idea to get separated in these remote canyons.

Also, Note to Self - don't plan on learning how to use a GPS unit while you are on your first big adventure ride with it!

Well - now that the 4 of us were back in a group, we headed off down the trail once again, rocks, slickrock, sand, dirt, sagebrush, vistas - amazing stuff.

At one point, the two riders on the other trail, were able to see us across a huge canyon, and we were able to chat with them via radio off and on over this section until we met up with them. BUT FIRST . . .

The amazing trails suddenly got just a bit ugly. Without any obvious warning, other than the feeling that you have a pair of flat tires on a bike going way too fast, the road surface morphed into about 12" of loose sand which caused some piloting issues. I was bringing up the rear and was able to get on the binders as I watched the other three fishtailing like a bunch of teenagers leaving a Kegger with the Police in hot pursuit! Suddenly all I see is a massive dust cloud, then I see Vinnie stopped sideways in the road, no Joe at all, and, as the dust settles,

Anthony being attacked by his bike! I get my bike off to the side where the surface is solid, and Vinnie extracts Anthony from under his amorous 360 then helps him right the beast.

Nothing broken except a vent tube, a sore shoulder, and a somewhat chagrined pride! Amazing.

Anthony dug a 12" deep trench in the road surface with his body, while the bike rode on top of him like a wildabeast in heat! I think it is a direct result of him allowing the bike to sleep inside his room with him on the first night in Monticello . . .

20 minutes later we meet up with Dman and Robert, and head down more frontage roads until we meet up once again with I-70 and the crossing that we believe will lead us to what is detailed on the map as a long section of sand - large dual sports not recommended!

We press on, until the trail turns into what looks like a long sandy section, at which point Dman and Robert decide this is the bad section and backtrack once again to the road to meet up with us at the other end. Anthony is nursing a sore shoulder, but soldiers on.

The sand is short lived, but the excitement is not. The trail was just wide enough for a 4 wheeler to get in there, but it is deceiving, as it is filled with rocks, drop offs, switchbacks, debris, and the like, all in 100 degree heat, and after already wrestling with our bikes all morning. To me the stuff is a playground, albeit a challenging one.

We stopped about halfway through the canyon for some fluids and a snack.

We find what is probably the only shade in the canyon that has a good rock to sit on and discuss our fate. Anthony is dreaming of the chase truck, but to go back he would have to ride things he clearly does not want to repeat. To go ahead is anyone's guess. We goad and wheedle him enough so that he decides to continue along.

This is the canyon that crosses under I-70 under some signature bridges that have graced these pages before.

What I don't recall reading about before tho - is the dead end to the canyon that we reach shortly after the bridges. A sharp turn left up a sand covered hill is the only option.

The yellow is our gps track, the orange lines are I-70 - This is looking North.

Another view showing better the terrain, looking W by NW

The sand hill quickly turns to a rocky trail up the side of a cliff, too narrow to be comfortable, with a line that is nearly impossible to follow. Anthony later comments that this was the hardest hillclimb of the trip for him. No pics as the video was down for the count and no way to get my hands on the camera!

We once again reach a section of road and Anthony decides to go find the smarter 2/3 of our group, so Vinnie, Joe and Mako head up the sandy road of the TAT. The sand is ok at first, then begins to get nasty. We find ourselves on a rock shelf by a canyon and decide to fill our fuel tanks from the kolpins, check the oil, and have some water.

Still amazed by the country we are in.

We left the relative confort of the rock and headed back along the trail

which started with sandy sections and rapidly changed to Sand with solid sections, and then to sand. And more sand. Kind of like trying to stand up on a floor covered with marbles.

Speed is your friend, but can instantly turn into your enemy. This stuff never seems to end, until we finally get to a section past the sand in some open, fairly featureless desert.

Vinnie stops at the beginning of yet another section of sand and asks if we want to continue on the trail, or bag out and head over to the highway which he believes to be a mile or so off down the road we just passed. No one wants to weenie out. We finally say - screw it - we are here to ride as much of the TAT as we can and we are going to go ahead. It turns out to be a good decision, as the road hardens up, and the vistas are even better. We are able to make really good time and stop only a couple of times to get some photos.

After another 45 minutes of this stuff, we meet up with our crew at a freeway rest area and fuel up, hit the rest rooms, get some water, and in general, complain about how tired we all are.

What the hell is THAT Vinnie?

I guess that sand riding did make Vinnie crap his pants!

We first thought this was a blown shock absorber - but it turned out to be a leaking oil cannister directly above!

Then, we head off again on the trail towards Salina! Dman decides to ride into town with Vinnie, Joe and Mako.

Looks like the ADV rider salutation!

It turned into a really decent ride, alongside of I-70, corssing under it several times via concrete drainage tunnels, and passing through several abandoned train tunnels. Really, really cool.

The rest of the ride is fairly uneventful, excepting for the last 15 miles into town which I did after one of my contacts decided to blow out of my eye. I guess the title of this post should have been . . . this is bad . . .

The Return of Old One Eye!

We took over a section of the hotel in Salina, then head over to a little mexican restaraunt next door for a really good meal and swapping stories.

Later, the group gathered together in one room and we played a bit of the video footage so the riders who missed the amazing canyon can vicariously ride along. All in all, yet another amazing day on the TAT.

And yet tomorrow will - once again - outdo today! Jeez - we haven't even hit the snow, met the Rescue Folks, or lost anyone to injuries . . . YET!

Stay Tuned!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #353
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like two of the video clips have issues. I will try to get them redone aned reposted.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #354
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

DITTO

Old 06-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #355
fotobo
KTM rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by makotosun
Looks like two of the video clips have issues. I will try to get them redone aned reposted.
Good, I thought it was probably just me or my computer.

Really enjoying the report. You guys have really outdone yourselves on it.

Makes me want to get going on our ride that we have postponed until Aug now.

Hey! Did you guys see the ride report that Bigdog did in the latest issue of the AMA magazine? Looks like we got a celebrity among the Adv riders.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #356
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotobo

Hey! Did you guys see the ride report that Bigdog did in the latest issue of the AMA magazine? Looks like we got a celebrity among the Adv riders.
Word is---they made all that stuff up--and stole the pictures off the internet

I distinctly remember that railroad crossing I saw in your pictures-----When I reached the railroad-----I rode under a low, small tressel thru a creek--thru some deep sand and got to the other side---GasPipe didn't see me (I was leading) and road beside the railroad for quite a bit---then saw me on the other side and jumped the tracks. God that is scary-----railroad tracks are spaced just exactly wrong to cross on a bike--at least for me. But he's a hell of a lot better rider than me.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #357
fotobo
KTM rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
Word is---they made all that stuff up--and stole the pictures off the internet

I distinctly remember that railroad crossing I saw in your pictures-----When I reached the railroad-----I rode under a low, small tressel thru a creek--thru some deep sand and got to the other side---GasPipe didn't see me (I was leading) and road beside the railroad for quite a bit---then saw me on the other side and jumped the tracks. God that is scary-----railroad tracks are spaced just exactly wrong to cross on a bike--at least for me. But he's a hell of a lot better rider than me.
Hey BigDog, I think you need to file a suit against them for false representation. They did a really good job of misrepresenting you though.

Know whatcha mean about those railroad tracks. I was following some guys once and they crossed some tracks but I failed to carry enough momentum and got stuck between them. They were long gone by the time I finally got over them.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #358
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Man - I didn't see any trestle, but I would have investigated it if I had! I tried twice to get my bike over those tracks by myself and failed until Joe came and gave me a pull.

Vinnie - of course - just got his bike half way over, stepped off, then reached back and stuck his finger up the tailpipe and the bike reared up and over by itself!

At least that is what it looked like . . .

It took 4 of us to get the KTM up and over, so I guess maybe the old bikes have a bit of an advantage there.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #359
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Salina to . . .

Up to this point we have been pretty naive of what to expect as we have been graced with extremely good weather, good riding conditions (except for the snow on day 1 which was somewhat expected) and generally good luck. Most of the mechanical stuff was more irritation than anything else.

I did snap my speedo cable in two on something which meant the GPS was my only accurate speedo for the duration of the trip. As I was to discover, my bike seemed to thrive on consuming some small part of itself each day.

We awoke to solid overcast and a bit chilly, and as we were gassing up the bikes next to the hotel, it started to sprinkle. Before I even got off the tarmac I was adding some weather pants!

We headed through Salida, and into the countryside parallel to I-70.

20 feet before we hit the gravel road, Vance stops and starts digging through his pack and fishes out his rainsuit. We all follow suit - which turns out to be a good decision. Not hard rain, just a continous drizzle. What we from the NorthWest call a nice sunny day ;)!

The track that Vance was leading us on went through numerous country neighborhoods, ultimately arriving at Richfield, UT. We merely pass through Richfield, Cross under I-70 and head up a road that leads up behind a big municipal water tank. Little did we know that at the end of the day, we would end up 1.5 miles away from this point!

Then up some more fairly steep gravel road to a locked gate. There is a small opening and a sign that seems to say that motorcycles and ATV's are OK, so we go on through and keep climbing.

We climb approximately 2,400 feet in the next few miles (from 5,400 ft at Richfield to about 7,800 feet) giving us some killer view

and . . .

Snow!

Yes - we had 80-90 degree weather the last couple of days, even in the LaSalle mountains it was pretty comfortable. But now it was snowing.

The road was not bad, just kind of a loose dirt/rock mix. I did notice that my front tire seemed to be throwing a lot more debris out the front than usual, but thought nothing more about it at the time. Was that ever a big mistake.

A bigger mistake was when Vance stopped and asked everyone if we wanted to head out to the road - about a 5 mile downhill - and go around, no one took him up. Had we done that simple move, the next day and a half might have been a lot different.

The snow kept falling, we kept going, shields were fogging up, the road was getting a bit slicker, some patches of snow, Dman hit the ground

and I nearly ran over him trying to stay upright. Of course I stopped to get a picture!

Joe had stopped unbeknownst to anyone else (he didn't have a radio) and was removing his front low mount fender as his front wheel had stopped turning.
(We would later decide that would be kind of like our "canary in the mine" warning. If Joe's front wheel clogged up, we would turn around!)

Then, at 8,450 feet, maybe a foot ball field away from heading down the other side of the mountain, we hit some impassable snow.

Vance hiked up to look, then came back and attacked the snow like some sort of dog in heat. The snow was not impressed. Dave and Joe climbed up to see if they could get him and his bike out of the snow.

Much like the last snow we hit, I climbed up to get a picture! What are friends for!!!

So now we head back. It is still snow/raining and the effect on the road is much more pronounced. My front wheel is spitting out a continuous stream of dirt and rocks and it is getting harder to keep going in a straight line. I was having less issues than the others, as I was doing as you do in the NW - get up on the pegs and get up on the throttle. Kind of like the sand except you get a lot messier if you drop it! The mud is wreaking havoc with everyone else, completely stopping the bikes from moving forward.

I headed down the hill, passing Joe as he started to go down, then a bit farther on, Vance who was stuck. I kept going, looking for something solid to stop on and found a cattle crossing.

First I tried to clean a bit of the accumulated mud from the nether regions of the bike.

It is hard to describe how sticky this stuff was and how completely it covered everything. If you walked across it, you would get about 3" of mud stuck on the bottom of your boot, and you had to scrape it off on something!

I then tried to raise the others on the radio. I got Vance, and then Joe, but could not raise Dave. He was apparently the farthest back and no one had heard from him in some time. Vance could not get his bike to move, and was thinking he had toasted his clutch in the muck. I decided since I was still able to ride I would try to go back up the mountain and find Dave.

I rode up past Vance, then before I could reach Joe, I spun a bit and landed, wheels down, about 10 feet over the edge of the road. Too bad I couldn't just ride up out here - it was nice and solid! But wasn't possible with the ravines and brush. I got back on the road and rode up to where Joe was finishing the extraction of mud from his rear wheel. He hadn't seen Dave in awhile either. So off up the road I went, slipping and sliding away, but still moving.

I come around a corner and there is Dave's bike. Sitting in the middle of the road. Sitting on the side-stand. No Dave anywhere to be seen. I got my bike off to the side where it was solid then walked over to check out the bike - looking for blood as I went. Nothing. No Dave. Plus one of his Kolpin fuel tanks was missing. WTF?

Then I hear his voice off in the brush. He has hiked over to a nice cedar type tree and has built a pretty nice fire and is settling in for the night.

I spent about 10 minutes and most of my energy reserves trying to get his bike over off the road (don't know why - no one was coming up!) and finally succeeded. So there we are. Sitting up on Watts Mountain Road (per the GPS). Joe crackles on the radio and says he is going to try to make it to our location. 15 minutes later we here the old 360 laboring up the hill - sans front fender!

Joe is fairly amazed by "Camp Desolation", and takes up residence along with Mako and Dave under the tree next to the fire.

Vance checks in and he cannot get the bike to move, so he is setting up camp where I had passed him earlier - about 1/2 mile below us. He is too tired to try and hike up, and we are too lazy to hike down. In retrospect, in reviewing the tracks, our little camp was only about 13 miles up the road from the big water tank where we had entered the mountains!

If you view the clip, you will hear my cel phone ring at the end. We were amazed we had good signal, so I check in with Anthony, Robert and Nick who were riding the sane route with the chase truck today. I give them an update, and Anthony thinks it is best to alert the Sheriff that we are up there - in good shape and no danger - but up there.

Awhile later I get a call from a very nice 911 operator inquiring as to our status. I report all is good. We all have plenty of clothing, space blankets, food, water, a fire, some shelter and don't really need help. We had just planned on sitting it out on the mountain until the storm passed and the road became passable. The Sheriff apparently had other ideas. I told them not to send anything that would have any kind of financial bill to it - none of us wanted to pay for a helicopter!

An hour or so later we hear the calvary approaching. A jeep, a small 4x4, a couple of ATV's and . . .

A Volvo Military Vehicle!

At least we won't have to ride out on the back of an ATV with a teenage girl as a pilot! A real military vehicle somehow salvages the disaster of a day we have had. On the trip down, our driver agrees to help us out the next day to try and retrieve our bikes (they couldn't haul them out for us) as no trucks were allowed in the area - except for Search and Rescue! Now we know why they sent about 40 guys in their toys to retrieve 4 hapless riders in no apparent danger! A good excuse to go off roading in a closed area!

All kidding aside, it was nice to get out, though it would have added immeasurable to the advnenture to spend the night marooned on a frozen mountain! We headed back to Richfield where our crew had procured nice rooms for the night.

We all got to sign in with a nice Deputy who couldn't have been more than 19 driving a Dodge Magnum Hemi. When we asked how fast it went, he indicated he had been up to 130 in it, and as he smiled, he said it was "real smooth" at that speed!

It was a lazy afternoon as we had no bike maintenence to do, so we just chilled and relaxed. Then ext morning would bring our next assault on the mountain. They had a good internet connection and the Walmart sold Haagen Daas. What more could we ask!

Tomorrow - Tactical Mission: Retrieve our Bikes!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #360
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

While the others set up "Camp Desolation" I spent a little time getting my camp together for the night ahead. One main difference for me versus the others was I could only text the chase truck so I would get partial conversations over the radio. Finally sick of that I just turned off the radio and planned for the evening. Got a little fire, had a snack, dried out my wet garments, built a little shelter and sat pissed because of the dirt turning to mud in minutes.

Camp Vinnie (video I took at my camp)
http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm54/baoktiger/?action=view&current=M2U00033.flv

I dont know how the hell to get this up like Makotosun's post. Damn thing.

So after a while I could hear the grind and moaning of the rescue vehicules. Now I will say, they looked cool plowing thru the mud, yellow jackets, guns, rescue gear and all. But, how the hell were they going to tote my big ass out of there in a Nissan Pickup with a 4 wheeler in the back and two dudes bigger than I sitting in the only two seats in the cab. Followed by a Jeep with two seats, a second jeep with two seats and a 4 wheeler keeping in mind that all the above seating was full of rescue staff backsides. There were more of them than us and not to mention they brought guns.

When the 6x6 pulled up I finally saw a method to the departure of the mountian, We talked a while then they headed on up the mountain to get the others first and return for me. I had to laugh, these arent rescue people, the been locked out of the mountains all winter and just up for a play in the mud.

Anyway, thanks to those guys who do put it on the line when really needed and the sence of humor that they shared with us on the mountain. COOOL bunch of guys for sure and very efficient in their support. Great Job guys, Thanks.

Now as far as me, this day sucked. I have never left a bike behind at any point in my riding career. Pride was at an all time low and pissed off about it. Nothing we could do, mud was more than the old machines could dispose of and the sheriff had the final say, but either way, hated leaving the bike on the mountain.

Vinnie the Snake screwed with this post 06-19-2008 at 12:54 PM