Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #361
crillyiv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Thanks for sharing the photos and story. I'm glad you guys were prepared for the worst in case you'd had to spend the night.

dis aliter vissum

Don't Panic

2007 950 SE
2010 TE 510
crillyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:05 AM   #362
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Mission: Extraction

We spent a quiet evening resting up and plotting the attack to go and get our 4 bikes out of the Utah "Gumbo" (we were told on the ride out that the locals had a name for the super-glue that was spread all over the road up there!) since we had no way to get a truck up there as the area was closed.

The fellow who hauled our sorry butt's out the day before owns a tow company, and volunteered to assist. Dave and I got our backup bikes off the trailer and headed for his shop at 8:30. We figured we'd leave the truck for the others to run errands with, and we needed a bike front tire for measurements for our plan.

When we got to his shop, he took us in the back, and said here is the 4 wheeler with the hitch and you are free to use any of our tools, including cutoff wheels and the mig welder! What a guy! The welding shop was across the street, so he said, "go ahead and ride the 4 wheeler over there so you can measure what you need. So Dave piloted the big 4x4 ATV down the street and over to the welding shop with me in pursuit.

Once there, an nice, quiet old codger took us in the back and said "here's our scrap pile, see if there is anything there you can use so we don't have to cut up new stock." We were able to find a bunch of stuff that would work, and he agreed to drill a few holes, and make a couple of cuts for us. Figuring we had nothing to lose, we inquired if he could just weld up our little rack for us. "No Problem".

So - we got to the welding shop at about 9:00 and we had a welded, completed two bike tow rack done and installed on the ATV in under an hour. The tab for this service?

$60 bucks including materials! We tossed in an extra $20 because we felt bad! (Later that day, Vance would take his trailer in to have them weld up a broken ramp holder and had to cram $20 in the guy's pocket as he refused to take anything for his work! There are still nice folks in this world!)

So we run the ATV back to the shop and arrange to meet a driver of it at the gate to the closed area. Dave and I rode back to the hotel, and rounded up our crew, and off we went.

This was the first time I got to see Joe's new FOX MX boots that he got that morning. (Apparently he didn't want to have another impact with a rock in his sandals!)

What got us all was the Chrome Foxes on the shin of each boot! This is a guy who made his GPS mount out of PVC drain pipe heated with a torch and bent into shape and held on by duct tape! Wow. His roomie, the Enduro Dr. decided he had better sleep with one eye open . . .

We met our driver at the gate, and Joe and I piled on the big ATV for the ride up the hill.

Anthony followed on his 360 which was in part to get some extra assistance, and in part to see if we would be able to ride two of the bikes out while towing the others. We didn't know if the road would have dried out enough overnight. Turned out it had.

We got back up to the bikes and hooked Dave's up to the rack and discovered that we had made a couple of design errors, and it was not going to work as good as we had envisioned. But first, we had to get all the dried mud out of the bike so the rear wheel would turn.

It ended up taking a tire iron and a rock to chip the stuff loose. Overnight the mud had taken on the consistency of top grade Adobe! I was beginning to have nightmares about this stuff!

We got his bike towed down to Vance's - which we suspected had a burned out clutch. It became obvious in that distance that A) the road was good enough to ride on, and B) our tow rack was not going to cut it. We fell to plan B - Joe and I would ride two bikes out and the ATV would follow, then take two riders back up to get the last two bikes, which worked well.

We got all the bikes back down and headed back to the hotel.

On the way, Joe spotted a car wash which beckoned so we spent the next 20 minutes hosing the hardend adobe off of the bikes.

Kind of broke the rule of not washing the bike for the duration of the trip, but sometimes you gotta think outside the box. The bikes could almost be heard letting out a sigh of relief.

One more night in what was probably the nicest motel we would stay in on the trip (still only $70 a night!) and my Roomie decides to take a shower with his riding gear on!

Kinda ruined the experience for me!

However, tomorrow morning we would head for Nevada!
Old 06-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #363
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
I can't believe you washed the damn bikes. Just aint right.

Oh, wait, maybe the mud in the fins was something to thing about. Yea thats it, damn mud, it packed in the motors, the tires, chain housings and other places I never seen mud (Oil Tank Vent Hose).

Like Mako said, kinda just laid up, licked the brused spots and ego and prepped for a big day tomorrow. All out effort to do 400 miles or so. Reminder to anyone, the rain turns that area to slick shit in a matter of minutes, but at the same time, a little sun and wind and it dries out almost as fast. Be patient, I guess I missed out on that part.
Still can't believe we had to leave the damn bikes on the mountain.

Great Report and Pics Gary, keep them coming mate!!!!!!

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279

Vinnie the Snake screwed with this post 06-20-2008 at 08:49 AM
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #364
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

I can tell you Vinnie - I've ridden in ALL kinds of mud and such in the Northwest, and I have NEVER run into anything like that gumbo crap on the top of that mountain. On one hand it was slicker than a handful of Jergins and on the other it was sticky like some kind of possessed contact cement! I've really never seen anything like it, and I won't be upset if I don't see it again.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #365
D-man
SHUT UP & RIDE!

Oddometer: 751
WE'll Mako, beleive it or not the stuff we hit last year in OK in the MILE-O-MUD was worse. it was finer and built up faster and there was NO way you could ride it, push it, pull it, carry it, maybe was warmer helped it out too! was nasty stuff.

D-man
D-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #366
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

[quote=D-man]WE'll Mako, beleive it or not the stuff we hit last year in OK in the MILE-O-MUD was worse. it was finer and built up faster and there was NO way you could ride it, push it, pull it, carry it, maybe was warmer helped it out too! was nasty stuff.

D-man[/quote

Even though I was sorry to have to quit the ride last year, I am not sorry I missed that one mile section
Old 06-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #367
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mud

All I can say about the mud is "Mud so far has been the only obsticale that has stopped the bikes. I mean actually bound them up and I still have no solution on how not to allow it to bind up.

Maybe put an edge on the Fork Brace and have some kind of cutting knife rigged on the back to peal it off, because we could not spin it off for sure.

Mud, damn mud.

Vinnie the Snake screwed with this post 06-21-2008 at 08:52 AM
Old 06-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #368
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Medical Update

Got to see the repair for the first time yesterday. Seems that there is about 1.5 inches of bone missing from the splintering and all that had to be span with plates and bone grafts are in the missing area. All grafts have taken and healing is progressing. Little shocking to see the mess a good helmet can to do a collar bone. Moral of this story, don't fall.

Bottom Line: May be a while before I can afford to ride so everyone please keep the ride reports coming for all your rides, guys like me need them.

Boss pulling rank at the moment.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #369
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Jeez Vance - you don't do anything half assed do you ?

1.5 " of missing bone? Crap. That will probably be a weak spot for some time. Did the Doc give you any realistic timeline for getting back on the bike?

Keep getting after it!
Old 06-21-2008, 01:01 PM   #370
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makotosun
Jeez Vance - you don't do anything half assed do you ?

1.5 " of missing bone? Crap. That will probably be a weak spot for some time. Did the Doc give you any realistic timeline for getting back on the bike?

Keep getting after it!
Doc said it would be a while, I expect September maybe October. We on a monthly xray review. Doc is a cool guy, not much of a talker, but to the point. So with Boss at my side, bikes are parked, BigDogAdventure.com videos feed the fire, and work.

Its all good.

Keep the ride report going. Dman and DoctorEnduro, you guys need to chime in. Makotosun carrying the whole load.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #371
D-man
SHUT UP & RIDE!

Oddometer: 751
I came, I rode, I bitched a lot, I got to the coast, I went home. Thats about it. I am not a good story teller, other then to say our TAT gruppe is the best bunch of guys I have ever had the privilege of ridding with-----Thanks for the memories, and hope I didn't hold anyone up too much. I am afraid I am getting paranoid as of late and puss out at the slightest rough looking stuff. maybe will be better when my latest bionic appendage has a chance to really get better.. was a little too soon maybe. the only thing I would have wanted to be different was not to have anyone get hurt. I am sure Vinnie seconds that one. I would not change any thing else. We'll I might suggest we turn around when it starts snowing hard on a clay/dirt road at 8000' in the mountains but is was cool to camp out for a while and get rescued by the 6 wheeler. IT was truly an adventure of epic proportions.

Dman
D-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #372
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

One more time - Off to Baker, NV

We awoke in Richfield for the second time, but this time, we awoke with our bikes outside the door. A much better feeling.

Everyone was rested up and ready to go. After the misfire that was yesterday, we all had hopes of a much better time. The parking lot was echoing the sound of the old two strokes as they all started and were warming up.

Warming up was a theme this morning, as we would find out as we moved west.

Since the road over the hill that is the TAT was not real attractive after the mudslinging, we rode frontage roads along I-70 for awhile, in fact, clear until we got to I-15.

WE went through the small town of Joseph, UT then along some really pretty roads in the valleys heading towards Nevada. You go by an interesting park, the Fremont Indian State Park, which would be worth a stop if you weren't on a schedule. There is apparently a good collection of petroglyphs on a number of trails and an interpretive center. On our trip, it would have been worth it to stop and get warm! Note that this is along highway 70, not to be confused with I-70, which it parallels!

Actually, it parallels on the map only, as you can see from the graphic above, they actually go through two very different canyons. Our track, above in yellow, was right through a really cool canyon with nice sweepers and good scenery.

Vinnie decided to pull over a few miles later to find his other coat just about the time that my fingertips were exhibiting signs of frostbite. Good call. Everyone hopped around and got the blood flowing again, and then we had to jump onto I-70 for a few miles to get down to Fort Cove, a historic outpost just off of I-70 on highway 161.

We were able to get fuel near that intersection then headed off west across I-70 back on gravel following Black Rock Road.

We met up with our chase truck along this road since the original plan included a back-country fuel stop, though the gas-up we just did had not been planned, so we determined that we would not need to meet with Nick until we got to Baker, NV.

We snagged some coats and gloves and waved him on then once again began to follow the dust cloud that was Vinnie.

A lot of this was in store for this leg today.

This area was pretty much flat but for quite awhile we got to look at this unusual peak sticking out from the rest of the blandness:

Crystal Peak is an unusual volcanic peak located at the north end of the Wah Wah mountains. (I assume that was named after the sound of the first explorers as they complained about sore feet!) 34 million years old and 7,104 feet high.

Looking back just past the mountain:

Makes you feel pretty small and insignificant . . . and then you turn around and see:

It is just a bit over 4.5 miles from this spot to the next corner . . . . and what is amazing, is the distance between each of the next three turns was even greater!

After riding this section, scaring a few cows and little else, we arrived at highway 159, just north of where it cuts off from the junction of 21 and 487. At this point, we head north on a RED blacktop road to another dirt track cutoff which will lead us to the border. I can't seem to locate a picture, though maybe one of the other folks has one.

The sandy two track we took west off of 159 led us to a very lightly used state border crossing, which required a dismount and opening of the wire gate. Vinnie did the honors.

We were looking for one of these:

But got one of these:

Another 300 yards of fun road, a couple of HUGE jackrabbits, and we hit the last section of slab into Baker, NV and another meeting with Nick.

We got fuel, topped up the oil tanks, and looked for some grub to no avail. One of the two locals we saw said there was a good place to eat just up the road a piece, so we took him on his word. He apparently was distance estimation challenged. The food stop we found was in Ely, NV, about 60 miles down the road.

More fuel (always good to top up when traveling the desert) and into a little Asian buffet.

Surprisingly good, though no photos. We later discovered they had a branch in Winnemucca . . .

Back on the bikes and off into the ride, we hit mostly blacktop (highway 50) for the next hour or so with our next destination being Eureka.

The droning of the 2 strokes began to take their toll on the boys' backsides. Joe decided to try a new angle, sort of matched his chrome boots . . .

Sidesaddle! Needless to say, I kept to the far side of the road!

Several mountain passes, some really nice open country, more green than we had seen in Utah.

Still some very big country . . .

We decided to stop for a bit, and Dave wanted to check his plug or something.

You can see him laying down on the ground - we think he was actually taking a nap!

More of the same . . .

I was dreaming of my Magna with some street tires at about this time Halfway through a 35 mph curve at 60 mph and you start to think that the D606 Dunlops probably have one 1/2"x1/2" rubber knob on the road to hold your fat butt from a lowside . . .

They actually handle amazingly well for a 90% dirt tire. Still was a kick in the butt.

Right about here, I get a radio from Vinnie that the trail took off the side of the road about two miles back. So around I go, and we had off across the desert once again. Cutoff location is lat=39.3847615104, lon=-115.775952579

Vinnie leads Joe and I across a field with no trail at all. Then we go up someone's driveway. There is a gate across the cow-path he says is the road. No signs. No one around. A house across the street. The heck with it - we open the gate and head in. For reference, this was on the White Pine County Road #2.

100 yards farther we come to another gate, open that, and it appears that we are back on track. For reference, it looked like there was a second road that would have missed the gates, but who knows. We just pressed on.

The road from here on got really fun. good gravel and great views up through a little canyon. We made good time, and no photos, but here is a Google earth simulation showing the path. . .

And an overview of the whole trail from the cutoff to Eureka

When we got into Eureka, we found Nick and the rest of our troops at the local Chevron station.

I proceeded to spray gas all over my bike (make sure the handle is off when you lift out the nozzle to see how full you are ) and got a snack at the little store. The clerk had probably the least amount of personality of any living creature I ran into on the whole trip!

Eureka seems to have taken great pride in either maintaining itself, or in renovation to make it look very movie set like. Really a neat little town.

After fuel up, we headed off towards the Cortez Mine with an eventual destination for the day of Battle Mountain, NV. Nick, Robert and Dman decided to take the slab, while Vinnie, Anthony, Joe and Mako head off into the desert with only a few hours of light to go. Joe has no headlight at all, so getting to Battle Mountain before dark is pretty high on our list of priorities.

We do one last fuel top off at a rest stop from the chase truck, then off into the back-country.

As you can tell, the sun has already dropped pretty low, so we bid farewell to our comrades and head off.

3-4 miles into the section, I see a HUGE, can you say HUGE Antelope is running towards the road and it appears to be heading for the exact same spot I am. It comes in from the right, and I get on the binders and slow down from 60 to 45 and it crosses about 40 feet in front of me, then heads off in the opposite direction at the same speed. Coolest thing I saw the whole trip, animal wise. No photo as my hands were kind of busy!

30 minutes or so later we get to what the GPS says is the Cortez Mine. Nothing. Just a big A$$ valley.

A bit further down the road we find a remenant of the old mining days.

Not exactly sure what it was for,

but Mako finds a good use . . .

Note to self - bring along some Charmin next time

We keep going, run into some other mining debris

And ultimately ruin into a dead end of our planned route at the REAL Cortez Gold Mine.

Very goverment installation feeling. We got some odd looks from the official types in the gate - but no hassles.

Returning down the road a bit, we find another route, Lander County Road #106, which turns out to be a real kick in the pants. The sun is definitely going down, so Vinnie and Joe are making some time.

But as we ride up the valley, we find just some very cool riding. We also found 4-5 watrer crossings about 20 feet across, and some intersting deliverance type of scenery.

Here is the Route:

Battle Mountain found us at the Comfort Inn right off the highway.

Dave and I end up registering last, and the only room left on the first floor is a smoking room. He goes to investigate, and reports back it was kind of like crawling into an ashtray. (No offense to the smokers out there) We opt for a second floor room.

Not a lot more to report that day. I crashed after posting some stuff earlier on this thead, and the others got some sort of food at the pizza joint next door.

All in all, for a day of just trying to make some time up from our layover in Utah, it was a hell of a riding day!

makotosun screwed with this post 06-24-2008 at 10:02 PM
makotosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #373
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Like mako said, we had a good day, lots of miles, many new things to see and got away from the Mud in the Mountains of Utah.

Joe on the go.

The gang on the fly.

Joe doing his waddle back to the bike, I guess since we left Greenriver he was riding hurt, but a hell of a walk he had going.

Nevada finally, they guys trying to spell something, beats the hell out of me what after looking at this again

Looking West, Utah has kicked our butts a few times, I wonder what Nevada will have in store for the boys.

Makotosun actually looking happy and relaxed on the ride. This little route I think it is 106 as described above was a great ride.

The ride off the Mountain down to Battle Mountain was great. Water crossings that snuck up on you. I did choose not to radio back to the others to ruin the suprise of the water crossings.

You come hauling ass around the corners and then all over the damn bike to get slowed to hit the water. Was a rush I thought they would enjoy, Joe and I did.

Joe did not have a head light so he and I were riding as fast at the 2 strokes would puff along. We got separated from the other two, but the go straight method we use worked once again all the way to town. Never turn unless you see the bike in front of you turn.

However, in all truth I do think Gary is holding back. I think he wanted to whip my ass for coming off the mountain so fast, bad thing for me, I probably deserved it, was so tired from the fast pace that I would have had to take it too. DoctorEnduro did levee the ass eaten of the ride. NEVER LEAVE YOUR WING MAN VANCE AND JOE, you left us up there. Well not really, we just never turned. Sorry guys.

A great end to a great day.

Joe did allow when DoctorEnduro calmed down, "Vance, coming off that mountain was the best and funnest ride I have had in 30 years".

Joe ===> Me too!

One other note of mine, Gary and Joe never mention it, but I am sure there was plot against Vinnie, those two tagged teamed me the whole damn trip. I either had Joe 6 inches off the back tire or Gary doing the same. Pushing all the time, never a minute to relax.

Then in the mud, damn Gary just rides all over the damn place while all of us struggle just to stay on the bike. Like he doesnt know, ITS MUD MAN, you suppose to bust your ass like the rest of us at least once. Hell no, he just goes and goes and goes.

Vinnie the Snake screwed with this post 06-22-2008 at 05:35 PM
Old 06-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #374
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Like Vinnie said, there were some ruffled feathers that Enduro Doctor chose to voice. I felt best to keep to myself that night. Message was sufficiently transmitted, and all was (and is!) good between all the riders. You had to be there to understand. Kind of like brothers and sisters. Once in awhile you have a little spat, but you are still Family. TAT Gruppe is Family !

I will say that the ride from Cortez to Battle Mountain was one of the best sections of the whole damn trip! Fast, fun, water crossings that you sort of slid across 'cuz you couldn't stop and get ready!

Vinnie - there was no secret plot - we were pretty out in the open about wanting to find out what the hell it took to get you to say uncle. Turned out only you were able to come up with the answer . Both Joe and I were dragging our sorry a$$e$ as the end of the day trying to keep up.

Mud? Sand? I told you guys how to do it. On the pegs and on the throttle. Anything else and you eat a lot of mud and sand!

BTW - we were trying to spell "NV". I and Joe were the three sticks of the N and Antony was doing his best imitation of a V. Seems obvious as I look at it . . .

Except that maybe Joe is actually truing to be an "E". Apparently they don't use proper postal codes in FL.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #375
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,057
keep going..........

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote