Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008, 05:33 AM   #376
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
More still coming! We haven't lost Vinnie yet, Haven't made it to Oregon, about 4 more days to go - Hopefully this afternoon I can get some more done.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #377
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by makotosun
More still coming! We haven't lost Vinnie yet, Haven't made it to Oregon, about 4 more days to go - Hopefully this afternoon I can get some more done.

Cool!
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #378
LATJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542

Save 5 bucks when signing up for SmugMug. Enter coupon code: hgeNbdcSOWAXM
LATJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #379
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Wherein we leave Battle Mountain - and try to leave Nevada...

So.

We awaken in Battle Mountain to another amazing morning of sunshine and comfortable temps. Except for the little snowscapade in Utah, this entire trip was blessed with sunny, blue skies. OK - maybe some morning overcast, but otherwise . . .

Everyone gathered out behind the hotel with the chase truck and did their daily maintenance. Chain lube, Two stroke oil, look for loose bolts. Then - fire them up to see if we are going to get one more day out of them.

Dave decided the night before to ride the Beeg Red Porker (Honda 650) since he snapped off his kick starter on the DT. We have spares, and he will end up putting one on there, but for today, he decides to go in comfort. Remember, Dave had a brand new knee installed in his kickstarter leg in December!

Robert is going to follow the chase truck on the highway riding his KLR 990 Adventure again - he has learned that following Vinnie can be just a tad bit dangerous.

Speaking of Vinnie . . . What the hell is he doing sitting on his A$$ disassembling his bike 5 minutes before we are to depart? Apparently it is refusing to start. Eventually, after removing and field stripping the carb, he discovers that his carb is mostly filled with H20. That's right, Water. Apparently one of the stations we stopped at was adding a 5 finger profit to their last shipment!

Everyone panics, looking in their tanks for telltale signs, but only Vinnie seems to have been affected. We can't figure it out, except to think that maybe it was on of our chase truck cans, and he finished it off?

Anyway, carb dried out, the bike, as usual, starts on the second kick and we are again ready to head out.

Idling through a sleepy Battle Mountain (don't blink too long or you'll miss it) we head out the indicated trail only to find a gate that is clearly not going to open. Plus it has a sign. Don't go there. We don't.

Our route is show in yellow with the actual TAT per the maps in dotted red. Vinnie re-routes us a bit west, then around the blockage, then back on the trail again, first some decent old blacktop, then miles and miles of that nice Nevada gravel.

Once again, we run into a snafu. The trail seems to go up a long, stately (or at least it used to be) driveway ending at a farming complex, with several houses, barns, and little else. There was a big A$$ No Trespassing sign at the beginning of the driveway, but we motor in, hoping to convince the occupants of the Divine nature of our mission.

First we locate some farm hands who direct us to a small, kind of run down, mobile home at the end of a gravel road. The old fellow comes out, and he and Vance engage in what is like a southern ballet of good old boy banter and the end result is the fellow spits on the ground and says, y'all go ahead and have a nice ride. Close the gates behind you! Once again, all is good with the TAT Gruppe.

The next 5-10 miles are on nice gravel farm roads, with lots of dips and stuff you can get some air over. Then Vance radios back (he is out so damn far ahead all I can see is a little dust spec as I clear each little hill) that "he just passed a big rattlesnake so be on the lookout". Crap.

Apparently by the time I got to the spot he saw it, the snake had cleared out, but I never really stopped looking over my shoulder the rest of the day.

Then, I come sailing over one last little rise at about 55, and there is Vance, standing off beside his bike next to a turnoff. Hit the binders in the air, doesn't really help. I sail past him about 50 yards before I get slowed enough to turn around. Everyone else is about there by the time I get back. Just in case you are riding with Vance, apparently the only thing he feels warrants a warning is a snake . . .

OK - off we go down another neat little road and off to the right it looks like some ADV rider from years past made it this far. Joe had to go see what it felt like to lay dying in the desert.

More scenery in the area . . .

A piece further down the road it ends at a HUGE, Really Huge, field of sagebrush.

No trail to be seen. We motor around a bit, looking for something that resembles a trail, actually have some fun trials riding in the stuff, we cross a big ditch, still no trail.

In this graphic, our actual track is shown in yellow, direction of travel in orange. The red dotted line lays on top of a visible trail in Google, that would have routed us exactly where we ended up . . .

Finally, Vance once again heads backoff into the desert at a high rate of speed, and finally radios back that he think's he's found it. Seems like he is rignt. We cross through yet another fence

and then along an irrigation ditch (dry) and back onto another gravel road that leads us once again to the trail!

Given that we have made very little progress in our quest to get to Denio Jct by lunch, we decide to go back a bit and find a more direct route over the mountain range we are at.

The route takes us down a long flat oiled gravel road used for some really big trucks to haul some really big loads of something really heavy down. I know this, because I am followng two of them. At one point, they pull to the side a bit and his some of the non-oiled gravel and I enter the twilight zone! I can't see my damn front fender, much less the road, or the Big A$$ truck that made the cloud. Back on the binders until I can see a bit. Jeez.

I get around them and find Vance at yet another gate next to a cattle farm of some sort. He is getting frustrated and it shows. I suggest we just go on ahead through the gate and see where it goes. So off we go.

Little do we know but we are actually about 30 yards from the proper road, which is running paralell to us. Looking at the Google version of our track, we should have been on the road to Soldier Pass. Down the road we go. Just a bit of sand, some decent gravel, two track, a couple small creeks to cross then I hear Anthony on the radio.

"Get up here quick. Vance is down. I think he's broke something."

HIs military training conveys a calm that belies the intensity of the moment.

We all get to Vance and Anthony and Vance is sitting on the ground, holding his arm and grimacing in a way I haven't seen since he dropped a big . . . a . . . well . . . probably a bad analogy. Suffice it to say he is grimacing. He is swearing too, but I won't quote him. We don't know for sure now, but later we will find out he has broken his collar bone and cracked a couple of ribs.

Normally I would have a picture of this, but we were all too worried to get our priorities correct!

He is walking around a bit, and then decided to sit down and think. All of a sudden he is yelling - "Get me up, Dammit, get me the hell up! I just sat my A$$ down in a big patch of stickers!"

I just about fall on my own backside trying to help him up and keep from laughing at the same time. I don't care who you are - it was funny!

So, Vance decides he is gonna ride his bike to the nearest town then call Nick in the chase truck to come haul him to the nearest hospital. He wasn't gonna leave his bike in the field again!

You read that right.

Now - I can speak from experience having broken my collar bone on the street last year, 5 weeks before we left on ouir last trip, and immediately afterwards riding my bike home on pavement about a mile and a half.

It hurts like hell.

We get him turned around and back on his bike, I get it started and off he goes. He kills it once so we start it up again, then he rides out. Back across the two water crossings, the rutted gravel and out to the road. Then down the asphalt about 12 miles to the little town of Golconda, NV.

Note that are now just a bit over 36 miles down the road from Battle Mountain, but we rode over 90 miles per the GPS to get here. We averaged 7.6 miles per hour

When I get there, he is sitting on a bench,

and everyone crowded around. The nice lady at the store gets us some ice, and here sister even brings over a sling for his arm. Then a fellow from the bar comes out and volunteers to drive him into Winnemucca since Nick can't be here for about 2 hours. Anthony goes along in the car and Dave follows on his Honda. Joe and I stay behind to watch the bikes left and to drink beer in the dusty parking lot. I think we got the best end of the deal. No pics of that. What happens in Golconda stays in Golconda.

While we are sitting like lizards on a hot rock swilling cheap hop juice, the boys are sitting in the nice, air conditioned hospital with Vance.

Turns out what we hinted above - he has shattered his collar bone with a couple of cracked ribs on the side. Would you like some vicoden with that?

Two hours later, Nick arrives with the trailer, Anthony and Robert. Anthony is gonna ride his bike down, Robert (remember he has been on a nice, comfortable, electric start 990 all day) will ride Vance's TAT bike down.

Joe and I had already decided in our alcohol fueled enthusiasm to ride a neat trail over the mountain directly to Winnemucca! We apparently are not fast learners.

We get back over I-80, turn on the gravel road, cross a cattle guard and all of a sudden my bike gets really loud. Looking back, I see my stinger has ejected itself and is laying on the road along with other parts and pieces of my rack setup which has self destructed. Crap. And the chase truck has just headed down the freeway.

We pack up my stuff from my rack on to Joe's bike, I strap a duffle bag on my back like a pack

and bungie my rack (now hanging on by one bolt and a prayer) to the bike so I hopefully won't lose in on the freeway. Off we go, me sounding like some sort of Diesel Rock Pit Dumptruck and both of us looking like we are refugees from the Grapes of Wrath!

We make it to Winnemucca, and my GPS routes us directly through the center of town on the way to the hotel the boys had found for us. With essentially no muffler . . . Apparently the gendarmes in Winnemucca are tone deaf as we made it to the motel without further event.

Now we check on Vance who is flying pretty well on some vicoden cocktail and we decided we need to eat. Off we go to the Chinese Buffet - same one we ate at in Ely! No crap. What are the odds? (I am sure someone in Winnemucca would have given me odds, but I digress.

Over dinner, we come up with a plan. Hare-brained, but a plan no less. The problem is Vinnie is going to fly home. Anthony has decided he is done too. Robert was done 3 days earlier but stayed on for the entertainment value of seeing what we would get into next. Nick and the chase truck will go on to Oregon with Mako, Dman and Joe.

Vinnie, Mako and Dman each have two bikes. Joe and Anthony each have one bike. Total of Ten trailer holds 6 bikes. When we get to Oregon, my two will go home with me on my trailer, but that leaves 8 bikes on a trailer built for 6.

Robert and Anthony decide that they will ride the two 990 Adventures from Winnemucca to Salt Lake and then fly back home from there. Nick can pick them up on his way home with the chase truck. We will load Vinnie's bike on the trailer, unloading his 990 and Robert's 990 to go to Salt Lake. All is good. Robert buys dinner for everyone as his parting gift.

WE get back to the hotel and I have to swap out the rack off my backup bike to my main bike and get a couple other minor things fixed. Joe needs to do his nightly chain lube. As we are doing this, Anthony sits for the first time on the 990 and feels duly overwhelmed. Not really wanting to ride someone else's brandy new bike that he is no comfortable on, he decides to fly out of Reno with Vance and the bike goes back on the trailer.

Off to bed with plans of a somewhat leisurely start in the morning.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #380
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130

You guys have told a fascinating tale and have exhibited some stones to ride these vintage bikes on this ride. I know you have had to do some rerouting to get around some areas. Love gps for this.

I rode the TAT solo last July (2007) and was able to pretty much follow the published route. When I saw this google map image, showing the route going past Welch Road and lcoked gate, I wonder if some of the maps were modified recently by Sam Correro.

My maps and roll charts had me leaving Battle Moutain on the northwest end, crossing the interstate, via Allen Road, traversing about 8 miles of dirt trail road to Mote Siding, then crossing under the interstate, before heading north. A variety of dirt trails and roads, many quite sandy, got me over to Izenhood Ranch road. Your route was a more direct route out of Battle Mountain to that point, but the route with the locked gate does not show up on my TAT maps.

I only point this out for those who are planning on riding the TAT.
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #381
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,219
[QUOTE=arroyoshark

My maps and roll charts had me leaving Battle Moutain on the northwest end, crossing the interstate, via Allen Road, traversing about 8 miles of dirt trail road to Mote Siding, then crossing under the interstate, before heading north. A variety of dirt trails and roads, many quite sandy, got me over to Izenhood Ranch road. .[/QUOTE]

Yea, thats what I have too.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #382
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

I can tell you that I was just following Vinnie's taillight. He will have to comment on what his map says. I know that he plotted the route on mapsource, then transferred it into Google earth to drop down and adjust so the lines were on paths that actually showed up, then back into mapsource.

I know that after we lost him, and needed to do our own routing, I was amazed at the trails that the gps showed that were the equivalent of a goat trail. More on that in the next installment.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #383
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyoshark
I rode the TAT solo last July (2007) and was able to pretty much follow the published route. When I saw this google map image, showing the route going past Welch Road and lcoked gate, I wonder if some of the maps were modified recently by Sam Correro.

I only point this out for those who are planning on riding the TAT.
Arroyoshark, we must have been either right in front or right behind you last July.

Below is a map displaying the point Arroyoshark is making. The green track is the TAT route on Sam's maps (and what we rode), the magenta is the sidetrack route makotosun rode and the red is what he thought was the real TAT. I have been reading and enjoying your adventure on this TAT ride for awhile now, but there were many times I remarked, "I don't remember that". I suspected that perhaps some editorial judgment had been used in creating the tracks.

It became more obvious to me as you started to mention all the locked gates and closures you encountered in Nevada that something was wrong. We had very little trouble in NV with trail closures (other than those caused by active fires). I think this is the reason Sam is reluctant to change any of his maps. It is also the reason why you need to take great care in converting the maps to tracks and why using the routing tool will never create a route that matches Sam's maps. This is something that people planning a TAT ride need to be aware of.

Thanks again for a really wonderful ride report. I still can't believe you actually rode those bikes in those conditions. My hat’s off to you all.

Jim in Sacramento
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #384
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Arroyoshark, we must have been either right in front or right behind you last July. Jim in Sacramento

I left New Mexico on July 7th, last year, and I pulled into Battle Mountain on July 14th. Rode into Port Orford around July 22nd.

I thought it was likely the best ride I'd ever taken. I went on some TAT training rides with a buddy from Santa Fe, who was planning to ride the TAT with another guy from Colorado. I tried to hook up with these two, but the Colorado rider, well, shut me out of going with them, so I rode it by myself, at the same time. They caught me in Green River and I was able to ride the next day with them, thrrough the San Raphael Swell. The Santa Fe guy over heated his motor and I ended up giving him a ride back to Green River. I rode the remainder of the ride solo. It may be a frightening fact, but I ran into absolutely no one on the trail, not rider, rancher, prospecter or logger the entire time. You are on your own on this ride !
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:45 AM   #385
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

As I commented somewhere, Vinnie did most of the route to gps track conversion. Dman did some alterations to those tracks, mainly to allow the originals Vinnie did to use in the Garmion 276/376/478 units work in his Zumo. Apparently the maximum points limit was exceeded in Vinnie's originals.

In any event, the route's we used got us to our destination. Due to our poor planning (some members of the gruppe not clearing enough vacation time) we ended up taking some liberty with even Vinnie's routes as we went.

Ultimately we were determined to make the trip, as close to Sam's as we could, with the time and snow issues taken into account.

I can also tell you that the old vintage bikes were actually just fine for most of the ride. More suspension and fuel range would be the two areas they were challenged in. I have never owned a modern dirt bike. My 1975 is the newest. I do own a 1977 monoshock version, but it is an undone project that I have never ridden. I did ride a day in Moab last year on a 2001 Honda XR400 which was really amazing and is the reason I will be getting a modern bike eventualy. I can also tell you that prior to my DT400 (1975) and a 1970 125 yamaha restoration project a year earlier, the last dirt bike I owned was a 1974 250 Elsinore I owned for a couple of years in the early 80's.

I have continuously ridden street bikes so my riding focus has been in that area. This whole Adventure Bike thing is Vinnie's fault for which I thank him profusely!

I personally was amazed at the goatlike abilities that my bike displayed, even with me at the helm. I am more amazed at anyone who would take on this ride SOLO. Vinnie's injury, if it had occurred Solo, could have been a real problem.

I am too tired to do any more on this thread tonight, but will begin with the tale of the three amigos (we think maybe the three stooges is more appropos) next.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:37 AM   #386
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyoshark
It may be a frightening fact, but I ran into absolutely no one on the trail, not rider, rancher, prospecter or logger the entire time. You are on your own on this ride !
It's good you pointed that out arrowyoshark---------I am truly amazed someone hasn't died doing this kind of thing--------it would be very easy to break your femur or just have your bike break down---and you were unable to walk out and just died. It's the cold reality of it.

I had a buddy--------and the whole time I would think about how scared I'd be if I were alone---probably freaked out

My bike did break once--and if my buddy hadn't come back for me I would of had to walk 30 miles in the desert (he missed a good chance to get rid of my slow ass)---maybe I would have gotten lost--pretty scary.

I also hope people reading this---realize-------the trip will not go as your plan-----we made no plan---just rode all day---wherever we ended up is where we ended up---------the result would have been the same whether we made a plan or not---so it's useless to make one.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:50 AM   #387
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
I also hope people reading this---realize-------the trip will not go as your plan-----we made no plan---just rode all day---wherever we ended up is where we ended up---------the result would have been the same whether we made a plan or not---so it's useless to make one.
This is soooo TRUE!
Old 06-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #388
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
As I commented somewhere, Vinnie did most of the route to gps track conversion. Dman did some alterations to those tracks, mainly to allow the originals Vinnie did to use in the Garmion 276/376/478 units work in his Zumo. Apparently the maximum points limit was exceeded in Vinnie's originals.
I think the comments we are making are intended to be a piece of information that future riders of the TAT should file away. When you set down with your GPS and begin to create tracks from Sam's maps it looks like you have hundreds of possibilities for alternate routes and bypasses. But in reality you have few and you can't tell what they are by looking at a map.

More and more people seem to be putting up gates and blocking access to property which makes creating routes like the TAT so much more difficult today. People seem to think that Sam's charges a lot for his maps and that anyone could put a ride like this together from maps. No one who has actually ridden the TAT (particularly the western sections) thinks this is true.

Quote:
Ultimately we were determined to make the trip, as close to Sam's as we could, with the time and snow issues taken into account.

I can also tell you that the old vintage bikes were actually just fine for most of the ride. More suspension and fuel range would be the two areas they were challenged in. I have never owned a modern dirt bike. My 1975 is the newest.
And you did make the trip and created an adventure you will remember for the rest of your life and one which has entertained thousands of us for months. We thank you.

Your view of the old bikes is refreshing, "run what you brung" is really what it is all about. As long as you are on the trail experiencing what a ride like the TAT offers, life is good.

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:38 AM   #389
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Maps and roll charts

Maps and Roll Charts:

When I rode part of the TAT with the RoadLessTraveledMovie.com guys I found we spent all our time at intersections looking at maps. James did a good job but we spent alot of time sitting.

SO, to the GPS I turned and purchased a Garmin 376C (mistake should have got the 378C) and Mapsource. I have routed OK, NM, CO, UT, NV, CA, and OR. I had a hell of a time with parts of NV and OR for sure.

Method of Routing: I worked from the maps I have from Sam (4 years old) assuming they may never change. I then used Mapsource to plot the route along the roads as indicated on the maps. For the areas that are not on mapsource, I would plot them as a track, transfer to google, get actual points off googleeargth, adjust the track in mapsource, check with google earth and save the route & Track together.

For this ride I plotted the bypasses on Mapsource and the tracks for the other.

Lets say the second day of NV and onward is where I had issues with Mapsource so I just worked section by section. The gates we hit were actually new gates or in construction. The ranch was just that a ranch tired of visitors, good people, just wanted us to ask first. But many of the roads on the Sams Maps did not corrilate with Mapsource so the autorouting thing did some of the work.

Conclusion: Not sure where the routes differ in a few places. Not sure if it matters really if at the end of the day you took the Road Less Traveled. However, me being the only one who did not finish due to the wreck, I am interested as I am putting together the trip to return and finish. SO PLEASE KEEP THE DIFFERENCES COMING.

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:45 AM   #390
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Riding Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
It's good you pointed that out arrowyoshark---------I am truly amazed someone hasn't died doing this kind of thing--------it would be very easy to break your femur or just have your bike break down---and you were unable to walk out and just died. It's the cold reality of it.

I had a buddy--------and the whole time I would think about how scared I'd be if I were alone---probably freaked out

My bike did break once--and if my buddy hadn't come back for me I would of had to walk 30 miles in the desert (he missed a good chance to get rid of my slow ass)---maybe I would have gotten lost--pretty scary.

Riding alone is tough. I know I used to do it all the time because until I found this forum, hell I did not know others rode like this.

2006 TAT-OK VInnie's 1995 XT600 Yahama

2006 - TAT CO - Broke down here for 4 hours until a ranchers wife gave me a jump. Battery cable had viberated loose and left me for dead. This is when Boss finally had enough, "NO MORE F##8ING RIDING ALONE OR ELSE"
I never asked what "or else" ment, doesnt matter. This is what made her get me that SPOT Locater

BigDog, GasPipe and a couple others is how I got back in the saddle.

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote