Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #421
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillyiv
Thanks for the great explanation and info.
I have enjoyed actually looking at the route after the fact knowing what I know now.

2008 - Vintage TAT - Ut, Nv, Or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331983

2009 - Vintage TAT - NC, Tn, Ms, Ar
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507149

2010 - Unfinished Business Tour - TAT, CDR Shadow of the Rockies
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615279
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #422
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,588
Still enjoying the ride report. Looks like we are getting close to the end.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #423
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotobo
Still enjoying the ride report. Looks like we are getting close to the end.
When you all leaving for the ride.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #424
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie the Snake

August 16.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #425
fotobo
KTM rider

Quote:
You going with us?
Old 07-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #426
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotobo
You going with us?
No, doesnt look like it, Doc says a few more months to get the heal done. And with him and boss in cahoooots, I am kinda screwed until fall. I can not wait to hear about your trip and follow along.

come by the shop sometime, enjoy the company

Old 07-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #427
fotobo
KTM rider

Quote:
No, doesnt look like it, Doc says a few more months to get the heal done. And with him and boss in cahoooots, I am kinda screwed until fall. I can not wait to hear about your trip and follow along.

come by the shop sometime, enjoy the company
Better listen to the doc and I know you better listen to the boss. We will try to do a ride report but it won't be on the same scale as yours. Maybe we can do some riding together when you get all healed.

I'll come by the shop soon if you have something cold to drink. Want to pick your brain some more about the TAT.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #428
makotosun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Wherein we aim our Steeds for the Pacific Coast and a knob dipping!

On our planned last day of riding the TAT, we awoke in Lakeview, Oregon after a very restful sleep and we all are showing signs of wanting this to be over, though it is also obvious we have forged a deeper friendship that will last far beyond the week or so we have struggled in this quest.

We are anticipating a ride that will take us NE on 62 from whence we came then NW on 227 towards Canyonville where we will meet up with Nick for a final support stop before the coast.

The Planned Route . . .

We know this will cross the actual TAT where we hope to jump on it instead of riding the Slab.

As we head up the road, Joe is complaining his bike is not running well at all. We stop on a sideroad while he again re-jets his carb. Seems to help, so off we go. Some really pretty country, and I am wishing I could be riding these paved twisties on my Magna!

I am watching my GPS closely, as the TAT is not a marked route!

About 17.5 miles from our hotel, we come to a little bridge off to the left which seems to be the TAT track so off we go again.

This picture was taken on the bridge at the spot indicated as the TAT intersect on the Google Map graphics. The magenta arrow is our direction of travel.

Pretty steep, though nice, gravel road. You can see the elevation in this terrain map.

It has been freshly graveled so the bikes are a bit squirrely for the first mile or so, then we get into some old growth forest and the road seems to get better.

Someone has been up here before us cutting down several hundred trees that would have blocked our path. A couple of months before our trip, the NW suffered an unusually strong windstorm that has taken a huge toll on the forests, which, when they fall, block the roads.Had a friendly jeeper not preceeded us in time, this route would NOT have been passable with the tools we had on board.

You can see the leftovers of the road clearing.

We stopped for some hydration and a stretch at a little mountain pond and the stillness in the forest was deafening.

Once the killer bee drone of the two strokes stopped echoing, there was just . . . quiet.

The trees grow big out in the NW.

This area was one of the prettiest we rode in all day, IMHO. Trees, some areas of farming, canyons, creeks, etc. Plus the roads were excellent Forest Service product, with good maintenance.

After an hour of this, we passed through a section where I could have sworn I heard the faint melody of a banjo playing, followed by another section of Slab. The TAT veered off of this and our section ended at a Gate.

The road on the other side was interesting, but time was not in our favor, so we passed and headed down the highway to Interstate 5 which we ended up following to Canyonville.

We raised Nick on the radio and found him at the local park.

Dman Bears it All for the gang . . .

Time for fuel and oil in the bikes, then off to a local eatery for lunch. (More on this little stop later!) Good eats but no pictures. The waitress seemed to want to run off with Nick, but he did not seem to notice, so the advances went unanswered.

After lunch, we gave Nick some directions to get him to Port Orford, while our intended route would head almost due west across the coast range. We figured it was about 65 miles as the crow flies, so assuming the crow was really Drunk, we should get there in about 2 hours. Mako's wife and son were meeting us in Port Orford and were expecting us around 2:30-3:30. Big miscalculation.

The section started out innocently enough, but about 10 miles into a nice, leisurely ride on paved secondary roads (Canyonville-Riddle Road) through little farms, I am smelling a bad gas odor. This is a problem at 45 MPH. I look down and see nothing but a big hole where my gas cap is supposed to be. Apparently when Dman filled up all the tanks at Canyonville off the chase trailer, he did not get my cap tightened down, and I lost is somewhere in the last 10 miles! (Maybe iff he wasn't playing graba$$ with the bear . . .)

Being the Maguyver-like Adventurers that we are, we came up with a makeshift gas cap to get me to the coast.

A baggie and a couple of zip ties makes a very effective temporary gas cap. File that one away for future reference! I was actually able to "unscrew" it off the tank for a fill-up on the way!

The roads continued on through some amazing valleys. The Oregon Coast range in this area is no slouch. Dman had planned a route and I had tried to have the Garmin simply route us. There were big conflicts in the two, so we took his plotted route. Eventually we ended up on Cow Creek Road and this old RR bridge cropped up.

A little to the right of the picture is where Cow Creek road took us next, shown a bit better on this next graphic.

First, an overview of where we have just been up to the bridge:

Next, a bit of a zoom in on the bridge area:

Then, a slight zoom in and tilt to show the terrain better:

As I said, this place is pretty spectacular.

Several rest stops were taken, as much for the view as for the rest.

Joe's 360 assures me of no Mosquitos to fight! And he said his bike didn't smoke!

More of the spectacularity . . . Joe in the lower right.

As we continue to follow our GPS track like lemmings, we find ourselves on a parallel road to where we should be. It seems to end at a campground or something, and there is a truck parked there. Way out here in the middle of nowhere. As I look past Dman who is trying to work his Zumo, I notice that the nubile young thing over by the river is . . . Dman - cover your eyes . . . Naked! Skinny dippers!

I just wave and we exit like the gentlemen that we are. No time for a camera and my helmet camera is down. Jeez. I don't think Dman ever even saw anything except his Zumo screen.

Only a really sharp eye will detect the motorcycle in the next shot . . .

Because there isn't one Just more of the greenery that was getting more dense as we moved closer to the coast.

We stopped for another little rest in the shade, and Joe decided to top off his tank.

In part he was making sure he didn't run out, but as much for the moving of the weight of the back tank to the center of the bike. Getting the weight off the Arse End of the bikes seemed to help the handling, especially in the loose gravel.

The roads continue to be really nice.

Half a mile past this nirvana, we find a whole group of hillbillies gathered around a truck and looking at a snowbank that appears to go mostly across the road. Joe and Mako walk up and scope out the area, and conclude we should be able to get past this. The Hillbillies offer that we are not far from the next big downhill, so we should be able to get past if we make it a half a mile or so.

Looking back:

It was cake to cross, and the road appears clear afterwards.

Several corners later we find more snow. This time it is deeper and farther across. And it appears we are still going up. Not promising. The GPS says we are less than a mile from the original TAT, so we ride around one of those big A$$ steel gates and try to get to that route.

Half a mile later, we hit more snow.

A neat rock formation I found walking to check out the snow

At this point, we are starting to worry about fuel. Joe is on his main tank only, and we only have a few extra gallons on board. The sun is moving in a downward fashion, and we are a hell of a long ways out in the woods still.

I look for the nearest gas on my Garmin and it says it is 12 miles back at Powers, OR, which is 12 miles the wrong way. Crap. We get ourselves back to a big intersection of about 5 gravel roads and catch a fellow with a boat heading up the road we think we want to go down. Apparently there is gas in Agness, OR and we are about 13 miles away. Per the Google maps, it should take us 49 minutes to get there!

Down we go, it is virtually all downhill, and not too much to see of interest. There was a neat waterfall off to the side.

The road down the hill finally turned back to asphalt near Agness, so we began to make some real time - and a good thing, as I still had no headlight. Plus there was that gas thing.

Agness (pop. 135 - though I didn't see anyone there!) is located at the confluence of the Rogue and the Illinois rivers, both noted for their whitewater. Agness has one of of the two post offices in the country that is served by a mailboat run!

WE headed down alongside the Rogue River on NF-33 which is also shown as State Route 595. Joe got some fuel at a fishing lodge along the way and I was able to contact my wife and apologize for being about 5 hours late. She agrees to meet us in Port Orford in about 45 minutes.

Good riding, virtually no traffic. As we go closer to the Pacific, we cross over from the south bank to the north bank and tried to take a couple of "shortcuts" shown by the GPS - both of which looked like the locals would either shoot us or worse. We end up riding all the way down to 101 then north.

It is getting a bit chilly by now, and the sun is rapidly crashing down towards the horizon. Riding along 101 on the Oregon Coast is really other worldly in normal conditions, but tonight we get to see a heavy fog rolling in over the rock formations in the surf.

The for is probably several hundred feet thick so you can figure out the size of the rocks from that.

We were probably 1/2 half mile from these behemoths.

Another 10 minutes down the road and we hit Port Orford. The adrenaline is pumping as we pull into the beach parking lot. Both my wife and Nick with the chase truck are waiting!

We sort of stumble in and greet the welcoming party. My son (age 5) hasn't seen me in about two weeks, and isn't sure it is me until I pop off my helmet. Is there anything better than the embrace of a 5 year old boy?

We do the introductions, as my wife has never met any of the fellows, then ride the bikes down a steep embankment onto the beach and into the waters of the Pacific!

Joe dips the knob off of Vinnie's DT400 into the waters of the Pacific Ocean - a prize he will deliver to Vinnie in Broken Arrow nearly a week from now.

The knob has been dipped!

We have done it. Three old guys, two on old bikes, make the trip from Monticello to the Pacific Ocean.

Mako, Joe and Dman at the Pacific Ocean

The Customized TAT has been conquered, and everyone is really, really tired. Even the elation of success cannot overcome the really, really tired.

I load my two DT400's onto my trailer, and watch the guys sandwhich 7 bikes on a trailer built for 6, plus get all of their gear (plus a bunch of the stuff from the other three riders) into the truck and trailer. They still have days to go in the truck before they are home.

Dman is bound for Pocatello. Nick and Joe will ride together to Broken Arrow, then Joe will drive his truck back to Atlanta, drop off Anthonly's bike and drive himself the rest of the way back to the Florida Keys. I feel just a tad bit guilty - I have about an 8 hour drive up the coast to Longview, WA. And my wife is there to drive half of it! Plus, I get to snooze all night in Gold Beach before I go!

It all goes back to those Logistics . . .

Thanks for taggin' along. We hope you enjoyed the ride as much as we did!

makotosun screwed with this post 07-06-2008 at 08:52 AM
makotosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:25 AM   #429
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,004
Enjoyed every word, thanks!!!
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #430
fotobo
KTM rider

Thanks for sharing it with us. I have really enjoyed it. You guys should be very proud of your accomplishment.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #431
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Mako for the work on the report and all of you for helping me get my ass off that ridge and back to town for help. Healing is going very well, should be riding soon.

Joe, thanks for the thought of taking part of my ride on with you guys and doing the dip. I have to finish the Western Section soon, will advise the plan when I get it in place.

Vintage TAT Phase III next to come. See you guys on the East end.

Vinnie Out!!

Old 09-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #432
ty250
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Vinnie
Where and when are you starting the 3rd leg from and going to?
This has been a great story. How is the healing going now as we are in Sept.
This has been great following along with you guys
ty250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #433
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty250
Vinnie
Where and when are you starting the 3rd leg from and going to?
This has been a great story. How is the healing going now as we are in Sept.
This has been great following along with you guys
Third leg is in the planning, not sure as to the start location. Been looking at the rear tire in the Atlantic Ocean. I still have to return to Battle Mountain or some where near and finish the Western Section and get the front in the Pacific Ocean..

Healing is progressing finally at a steady pace. I just finished a ride thru Colorado on my KTM990 over Labor Day as a probation ride with Boss. All went well, very impressed with the KTM990, took it some places I probably should not have been.

Also, starting to look at the Contential Divide on the DT400. Everytime I look at a ride, that old 400 seems to creep into my thoughts.

Thanks for checking on me.

Vinnie the Snake screwed with this post 09-06-2008 at 08:38 AM
Old 09-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #434
Vinnie the Snake OP
Beastly Adventurer

Joe Gets Published

"Hi, I'm Joe Gresh" - TAT

Just before we left for the TAT Western Section, Joe Gresh had rode the land of OZ. Proud to say I know and get to enjoy his company on the TAT.

Thought as a nice fit to our story I would present the cover of the latest Motorcycle magizine with Joes story of the Land of Oz.

Congratulations Joe, See you in the spring on the TAT Eastern Section.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #435
maxflash
Noob Subscription

Oddometer: 2
Test