ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: So, if you could do it all over again, which would you buy?
R1200GS 110 29.89%
R1200GSA 177 48.10%
HP2 81 22.01%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #16
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,150
Laugh

three months ago i traded my GSA for the HP2. Now the HP2 has 4000km on it, mostly used on road with the SM kit. Maybe ill mount soon knobbies kit but, i ve been riding gravel roads with SM wheels and they work well, i mean on dry staff...

I also have a CRF450R, so i am not really on need of punishing my HP2 on tight dirt stuff. You can ride HP2 on sand , sure, but CRF.......flies over sand......

I use HP2 daily for commuting and some mountain roads on weekends, It is much lighter than GSA on every condition. Wind protection is the only bad issue sometimes. HP2 engine is more brutal than GSAs on any gear.

Sure HP2 forks dance more on paved roads than GSA telelever. here is the main diference: before i rode the GSA now i PILOT the HP2.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #17
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
I'd get an HP2 and set it up like Helge Peterson did!!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #18
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayV2
For a while after buying my HP2, I figured an RT would be the ideal 2nd bike. I really love the dirt roads though, so nowadays I'm thinking a GSA with a good 90/10 tire setup would fit the bill for street duty leaving the HP2 for everything else. The HP2 does so many things so well. It's a hugely versatile bike.
My thought was the same so I had an HP2 and a 1200rt. The main reason I didn't enjoy my 05 1200gs was the gearing sucked for off road. I have now traded both the 06 HP and 05 RT for an 08 adventure and absolutely enjoyed the adventure with the new gear box. I have ordered the new 450x for extreme of road riding. The great thing was with the trade in on both bikes I get the GSA and the 450x for the trade in price.

kiwiAdventure screwed with this post 04-18-2008 at 01:27 PM
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #19
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
what choice............

Let's see, do I want that Porsche 928 or the Lotus Elise.........make up your mind what you're going to do with it after the 'new' wears off and your buddies quit asking to look at your new bike!!! Bruce
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #20
the white rabbit
Vicarious

Oddometer: 3,051
I would have the HP2.

If I had this time again I would also eat my greens and learn to ride about 20 years earlier.

the white rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:42 AM   #21
HBRDR
Invisible Rider

Oddometer: 244
Bigger Garage

I bought a new 05 R1200GS in Dec 04. I put 18,000 miles on it the first year. Mostly commuting and long weekend rides with a few 3 day weekend trips. Last summer I saw a local used HP2 wit 2000 miles on Ebay with a 15k starting bid. I decided to open the bidding and was shocked in that I was the only bidder. I did not expect to win, but it was the best mistake I ever made as far as bike purchases go. I love it. I still have the R1200GS and it just had a major 36k service. I am riding it to work and an occasional weekend ride, but the HP2 gets 90% of the fun seat time. I have a couple older Beemers in the garage as well, so I spread out the miles, but I strongly gravitate toward the HP2 when I enter the garage. If I could only have one, I could make the HP2 work for me.

2013 R1200GS
HBRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #22
GS_AP
Wanna be Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Thanks! I needed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottahops
I had an 06 GS and about a year and a half later with 11,000 proud miles I traded it in on the 07 GSA. It was the bike I wanted to buy in the first place but didn't want to wait six monnths to get one. Now that I have a GSA I am noticing that my old GS definitely had its good points.
I am 6' even with 32 in inseam adn the GSA is almost to high for total comfort maneuvering around pushing with legs into and out of parking spots and the such. It is a little more difficult on dirt though I manage. My old GS had all I needed on it minus a great lighting system which was only a good paycheck away.
Gas can be dealt with, a friend of mine uses the Sherpa tank saddle bags to hold one gallon gas tanks in each side. That 2 extra gallons help in case it is needed. Most cases it is not.
the less weight and versitility of the reg GS I think out weigh the GSA. I am happy though and will do fine with my GSA, perhaps put the 170 lb Ohlins onto it that fit a reg GS and the height issue is gone with great suspension.

Live long and ride off road....

Victor
I bought an '06 GS and passed on the GSA because I thought it was going to be just a bit too heavy and too tall. It sure looked bad ass though. I really haven't found the gas to be an issue and the GS has done just fine w/ the offroad miles I've put on it. I am absolutely amazed at how well it performs on the road and I therefore feel its flexibility is unmatched. That being said, the GSA and HP2 scream out to me longingly and I always wondered if I made the right choice. Reading this confirms that at least for me I made the right decision. I HAVE to ride it everyday (poor baby!!) so I needed the one that is the most flexible, not the most extreme.

"Travel is the enemy of bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and prejudice." - Mark Twain
GS_AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #23
FahrtMeister
Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
If I could have two bikes, I'd have a GSA and a HP2. As I can only have one, its the GS.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #24
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
I've owned them all. The one that remains is the 12GS ADV.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #25
Warthog
TeutonicChronic

Oddometer: 842
Cool2 HP2 and GS .... not even comparable

I guess "which would you buy?" is a valid question, but this thread suggests that these are comparable bikes. It is like comparing a KTM 640 to a Suzuki V-Strom. The bikes aren't in the same category at all. We might as well ask "do you miss the dirt, or the street?"

The votes on this thread tell me that road-oriented riders are happy they bought a GS touring bike that isn't too scary to ride on gravel.

The HP2 is incredibly capable and flexible in all situations with 50/50 dirt tires. Throw on some 17" wheels, street rubber, and a fairing...and you have an incredible road bike.

I would ask the question " Would you buy a GS, GSA, V-Strom, Triumph Tiger, or Aprilia Caponord ?"

or maybe
"Would you buy HP2 or KTM Super Enduro?" because those are the only 2 bikes in that category. It just happens that those two bikes are incredibly capable on the tarmac as well.

2006 HP2
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:42 AM   #26
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog
I guess "which would you buy?" is a valid question, but this thread suggests that these are comparable bikes. It is like comparing a KTM 640 to a Suzuki V-Strom. The bikes aren't in the same category at all. We might as well ask "do you miss the dirt, or the street?"

The votes on this thread tell me that road-oriented riders are happy they bought a GS touring bike that isn't too scary to ride on gravel.

The HP2 is incredibly capable and flexible in all situations with 50/50 dirt tires. Throw on some 17" wheels, street rubber, and a fairing...and you have an incredible road bike.

I would ask the question " Would you buy a GS, GSA, V-Strom, Triumph Tiger, or Aprilia Caponord ?"

or maybe
"Would you buy HP2 or KTM Super Enduro?" because those are the only 2 bikes in that category. It just happens that those two bikes are incredibly capable on the tarmac as well.
Only the BMWs and the V/Wee-Stroms are really dirt capable in any real sense, so it depends on if you want to ride only on the road or not.

Now the KTMs, that is a different comparrison, and more valid to me.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #27
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson
I've owned them all. The one that remains is the 12GS ADV.
I have done the same.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #28
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,652
if you could only have one....

... it would have to be the GS.

(does anyone here remember turkey tom and the gs international club???... that was his line)

last year, i had the choice of trading my 1150GS for an R12GS or GSA, or selling my R69S and buying an HP2. I chose the latter and kept my 1150.

after riding a significant number of miles on the R12GS and GSA, I have to say I am still liking the 1150 for the continent crushing bike that it is.

my HP2 is set up with an hpn tank, jesses and tourances, but it wouldn't be my choice for a 10K trip, unless it was one like helge's. i just wish i could keep knobbies on it for more than 800 miles.

but *if you could only have one* it would have to be the GS... even if it were an R12. The GSA is just too damn big/heavy.

plus, i have my G/SPD+ with its 9.2 gallon tank for those loooooong days. :)
Old 04-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #29
oldfool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Only One

No choice HP-2. Do everything go anywhere. Bike camping,road trips,and offroad long distance and no complaints. No windscreen-no special seat-no heated anything. Just smiles.
oldfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #30
Bikeforever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thumb Sure GLAD the 800GS got DELAYED

Over 40 years on all types of motor cycles. Had a 1150GSA and have ridden the 1200GS. I have put 2500 miles in the last two months since getting my used HP2. This is the bike I have dreamed about for ever. It is not be the long distance bike that the GSA is, but the HP2 is the fastest, best handling (with S/M setup), fells like a dirt bike compared to the GSA and the most fun bike I have ever ridden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At 56 years old I pull a little wheelie 1st or 2nd gear going to work every day.
I envy you younger guys that have the ability to ride the HP2 to it limits.

Bikeforever screwed with this post 04-30-2008 at 07:59 PM Reason: hit the wrong button
Bikeforever is offline   Reply With Quote