Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2008, 06:42 AM   #16
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley
Now there's something you don't see very often....a bike cover on a KLR. Mine would probably quit on me if I put a cover on it.

Good report, keep it coming.

Kenny
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:52 AM   #17
heavyjeffd
Godless Heathen™

Oddometer: 158
Hey, what's this?

Some kinda Predator targetting laser or something?

Seriously, if that's some kinda remote helmet cam type thing, I want one! Details pls. ;)
Old 04-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #18
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,437
U.S., Camel Corps in the desert southwest:

http://www.texasescapes.com/CFEckhar...amel-Corps.htm
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,543
I awoke with only 70 miles to my next stop, so I took time to eat breakfast and talk with the hotel owner for about an hour. He is a pretty cool dude; him and his wife do all of the work there. They check you in and out, clean and maintained the rooms. It had the best bed I have been in on the trip. MY next stop is in Kerrville for the STAR National that HASTA puts on. When I arrive at the event headquarters I find the YO Resort, “O” boy a big nice room and a chance to meet new people and make some new friends. I pull in to the parking lot and go to get my room. It is 12 O’clock and I figure it may be too early to check in but I’ll check. I am greeted by a slightly rude Lady at the front desk that tells me there are no rooms available so come back at one. So I decide to take a look around. The HASTA group has a bike wash in the parking lot and I decide to clean the ole girl up and check her out for loose fasteners. What I found surprised me, I had put new chain and sprockets on for the trip and the rear sprocket was shot. It was already starting to hook over. This will be the last set of sprockets from rebel gears. Everything else looked good. So I adjusted my chain and got her ready from some spirited riding in the heart of the hill country.
I go to check to see if I can get a room now since it is about 1:30pm. I meet the same attendant this time I give a good smile and say “It’s me again” I get the look I expected and see looks for a room. As she does this another lady came up and informed me that “check in is at 3:30!” and storms off. Wished they would have told me that first so that I could be accommodating. I am already missing my small little hotel in Rock City. They Rock J
I am a bit of an outcast at this event. Like a Forest Gump at the Black Panther party. I am mixed in with BMW and Honda sport touring bikes, most who keep their distance. I need a new sticker that says “don’t worry she won’t bite” or maybe it’s meJ. Either way there isn’t any who want to try and keep up with the best. I guess their scared of all the horse power. I know a very unfair advantage but I would take it easy on them. Later that day I notice a Dr650 and left a note on it to see if he’d be up for a ride, but no response from him either. Tomorrow will be better.
I held a service on Sunday morning, which is why I am here, and I meet my friends Bill and Becky Wing. They are always up for a ride even if it is with a lowly KLR. We run the three sisters roads and there’s a few tight corners where I can exploit the advantage of a thumper. (Sorry guys but no pictures of this, my camera went dead on me and I need to find a charger) Bill and Becky are the HSTA directors for Arkansas so they know a lot of people I meet a few who spoke to the odd stranger. I did meet a neat guy on a Transalp we talked for a while and exchanged e-mails. This was the high light of my Star event.
It is now Monday morning and by the time I eat with Bill and Get out of town It’s 10:00 quite a bit later than I like to leave, but I think I can still make some miles before evening. I know this part of the trip will be interesting as I watch Texas grow tees as I close in on Louisiana.

I end the day in Leesville, LA. I stayed in another 35 dollars motel room this time I get what I pay for. Bugs were free. On the positive side the ac worked, and there was a hot shower. Right next door there was a great little Chinese place. That was worth the stop. I only managed 440 miles for the day. It was time to hit the bed so here is what it looks like.

There were enough small black curly hairs in the sheets that I opted to sleep in my sleeping bag. The light outside was a fluorescent, bulbs hung under the eve and centered on my window. I stuffed the comforter and sheets around the window but to no avail. So 3:00am came and I was still not sleeping but in 30 min spurts so I loaded up and was gone by 4am. At this time of the morning it is dark and foggy, the KLR head light just doesn’t cut it so I try driving by others light. It works ok but there are not many cars out. Curves sneak up on me and I end up driving under the speed limit just so I can see far enough to react. Temps are in the low 50s-upper 40s and I finally give in to the cold by putting on the electric jacket. It was a smart move as it would stay on all day. There is a very different felling to see states roll by so fast. Things are close together in this part of the south and the traffic begins to pick up a little.
After a couple hundred miles the weather starts to brake and I can pick up the speed a little bit.

This is just a cool picture one of the last I have of LA

My travel throughout LA seemed so short after spending 3 days crossing Texas. The Mississippi came quickly and I only had time to shot a few pictures as I passed by.

I have made it to Mississippi and it is still early morning. I have gotten back in to my traveling habit of eating a cliff bar for breakfast and lunch, while drinking from the water balder. For some reason today I am in need of more nature stops than normal, I haven’t had any coffee but the water is running through. Lucky for me MS has a lot of small side roads to take and enjoy the stop. I normally use this time for photos as well.

There are more barns and farms here than I expected to see. I enjoy old barns and historical buildings they seem to give depth to the time that has gone by, a since of America as she was. Things have changed a lot in the ole USA, but there are still places that seem unaffected.

back on the big road you can feel the rush to get to some place even though the traffic is really light.

I am heading to a river that I was told about on the klr forum. It was said to be a must stop place with plenty of scenic views and a nice smooth curvy road. I flew it on goggle earth just to see what I was in for and it looked to be as awesome as I was told. Once I arrived I was in awe goggle didn’t even come close to what was ahead of me. I will let the pics speak for them selves

This was a great park called Little River Canyon; it is just before I cross into GA.

johnwesley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #20
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon
Nice report...and thanks for all the pics.

I may have missed it, but do you have a particular destination in mind?
I am heading to deals gap AKA "The Dragon" I am taking the long way
Old 04-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #21
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc
Now there's something you don't see very often....a bike cover on a KLR. Mine would probably quit on me if I put a cover on it.

Good report, keep it coming.

Kenny
when I put acover on I don't feel like I have to take the luggage and gps off. With out the cover I take saddle bags tank bag and all gizmos off. Plu the bike looks better with a cover
Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #22
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
Hey, what's this?

Some kinda Predator targetting laser or something?

Seriously, if that's some kinda remote helmet cam type thing, I want one! Details pls. ;)
It is the new vholdr by twenty20 I have some helmet cam footage of the ride But I will be a while editing it.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #23
heavyjeffd
Godless Heathen™

That thing kicks much ass.

Must have!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #24
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,003
Just wondering what yr and how many miles on the KLR? Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #25
heavyjeffd
Godless Heathen™

Hey John, one more question.

Is there any way to just take snapshots with it rather than video all the time? I mean, I guess you can just do short video, but it would be nice to just click a button or something and take a picture.

Didn't see anything on their site about it.

Thanks man. :)
Old 04-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #26
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
Just wondering what yr and how many miles on the KLR? Ben
the bike is a 89 I bought it march of 07 with 20,000 miles on it. I have about 32,000 on it now
Old 04-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #27
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
Hey John, one more question.

Is there any way to just take snapshots with it rather than video all the time? I mean, I guess you can just do short video, but it would be nice to just click a button or something and take a picture.

Didn't see anything on their site about it.

Thanks man. :)
It just does video. I keep a cannon elf in my front jackey pocket. The camera string stay haning out of my pocket for quick on the fly shots.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #28
johnwesley OP
wanta be

here is the first section attached in gpx file

johnwesley screwed with this post 12-16-2010 at 08:54 AM
Old 04-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #29
johnwesley OP
wanta be