Oddometer: 1,525
section 3

johnwesley screwed with this post 12-16-2010 at 07:54 AM
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #32
johnwesley OP
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
After I got through this beautiful section of Alabama I was at the boarder of Georgia. I was feeling pretty tired at this point and haven’t had anything to eat yet except two Clif bars and 1.5 liters of water. My plan was to make it to Blairsville, Ga ; but by the time I get to Summerville I am beat 670 miles and I am hungry and 100 miles short of Blairsville, I decide to do the smart thing and get a room. I sport a motel advertising 35 dollars a night and pull in. The man at the desk asked what type of room I wanted and I told him I wanted the 35 dollar one that was advertised. He then asked if I wanted a king size bed, again I said I would like the 35 dollar room. He kept asking detail questions and I kept giving him the same answer. After a few minutes of this game he kind of chuckled and gave me a room for 35 dollars. I knew the game he was playing, whatever I wanted would have been extra charge and the advertised price was just to get people to stop in. We both knew I wasn’t going to take anything but the cheap room. I not sure what clued him in, it was either my presentence or the klr just outside the window. 
I called my friend Randal and told him where I was at, so he decided to come in and ride back to his house with me. What a bud. He showed me the secret way to his house, a little road full of twists and turns. Up on arriving I took to looking over the bike and clean the filter. Tomorrow will be a fun day as we ride from his house to deals gap aka “Dragon” which is about 60 miles away with another cool short cut.

Today is the day and we head out for the dragon where we are going to meet a buch of riding buddys both dual sport and sport bikes. He shows me this secret road that will cut over the mountain range, sounds good to me. I take straight to the Zumo and look it up. Man does this road look twisty and fun.

When we get to the road the signage seems to support what the gps was showing. Looks like my kind of road.

This road lived up to the expectations and also adds to the historic side of my ride as it was part of the original Trail of Tears.

I am meeting a set of friends on sport bikes today at noon and are plans are to run the dragon before Friday gets here. The weekends are always filled with bikes chasing up and down the dragon and a wreck thrown in here or there for good measure. Since this is Thursday we are expecting a light crowd. For the weekend I will be on the dirt, where there are no worries of cops and the crowds are smaller.

It was great fun chasing around with my friends on the blacktop. We put on about 160 miles riding through the area. Tomorrow most of the dual sports will be in and we’ll be riding some awesome road/trails around the area. Cherokee Chuck has made up the routes and I am looking forward to some great riding.
We head out around 10:00 am on Friday. We have been warned that this will not be an easy ride for the KLRs that are with us. That’s just what I have been waiting on. I really cann’t say anything but he told me so. It is great to own a bike that you can run across country on and then go play in the dirt with and not have to worry so much about getting the thing home. I am sure this is just a little warm up for West Fest.

This is the only trip I have been on where there was three chains derail. I was one of them.

You can tell in the picture that I have a different set of tires on. My sport bike buddies’ brought my spare set of rims that have Karoos and a rim lock set up on them. I also changed out the sprockets to a 13 front and 45 rear. I have a low quality video on you tube if you would like to see some of the action
http://www.youtube.com/v/QD9hY3MRPrE&hl=en

http://www.youtube.com/v/5lnVQvP2Eq0&hl=en

After the days hard ride I was looking forward to tomorrow’s fast ride where the speed is up and the difficulty level is down. I have gotten bad out of shape over winter. We had a lot of people show up for Saturdays ride. It was a great group of people and I had a good lime riding with them. There are a lot of extra details I could tell you about but I believe that I will end it with one last photo.

johnwesley screwed with this post 04-19-2008 at 07:31 PM
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote