Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #46
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,679
what's the comfortable cruising speed? is it good @ 90mph?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #47
vermin
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 541
Lurv my pc800

Got it ten years ago. I don't know what it feels like at 90mph got no speedo.
I suspect you shouldn't be doin no 90mph no way. Love the bike, 18 years old and No NO NO NO NO maintainance (new air cleaner). I have abused mine sumpin horrible (ore-ee-blay) spanked it like a bad 2 year old what peed in the clean laundry basket.

Before

After on the Alcan Highway
(10 years and at least 60,000 miles later maybe 80,000) I have never heard of one breaking.

vermin screwed with this post 02-22-2009 at 04:44 PM
vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #48
PolarCruiser
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thumbs down PC800 comfortable cruising @ 90mph?

Speaking as one of the older boomers, and by nature a somewhat cautious rider, I don't think I'd feel comfortable "cruising" at 90 on any bike.
Life's too short to go that fast.
I know there are PC800 owners who have done Iron Butt rides, but that's not my thing.
I felt comfortable at 70, got up to 80 for stretches when I had distance to make on the interstate and was feeling alert under good conditions.
You could get more responses from the Internet Pacific Coast Riders Club group.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #49
pcstarship
R. Couey

Oddometer: 2
Pc800

http://race-the-sunset.blogspot.com/...fic-coast.html

The above link will take you to a blogpost I wrote. I enjoyed an 8-year relationship with a 1995 PC800, putting nearly 100,000 miles in the rearview mirrors over that time. I think all the information you're looking for is in that essay, but I've noticed that you've received a couple urban legends about the PC that I should put to rest.

The '89 model not only had problems with the stator, but with the rear tire rubbing on the underside of the trunk lid. Both problems were fixed for the '90 model year and beyond. To be honest, in my experience, and in the collective memories of the Internet Pacific Coast Riding Club (IPCRC) there hasn't been a stator problem in any of the other model years. Yes, it's true there isn't a lot of headroom in that stator, and you have to carefully count wattage when you load up the aftermarket electronics. But on my PC, the impact of those add-ons impacted the battery more than the stator. Yes, I know its counter-intuitive, but true nonetheless.

There have only been two PC engines that have died, again according to the IPCRC. In both cases, the owner did his own oil change --- and forgot to put the new oil back in. They both got more than 30 miles down the road before the pistons seized. The record for longevity is 300,000 miles, a bike that was done in by an inattentive minivan driver.

I still see many PC's for sale on the 'Net with low miles, <20k, for under 5 grand. And I know that parts are still very available (IPCRC can give you sources). Buying ANY used bike involves due diligence on the part of the purchaser. But with rare exceptions, a used PC is a good investment, particularly if you're in the riding game for the long haul. Whether doing 5,000 miles through the American Southwest, a round-trip to Alaska, or rippin' it up at Deals Gap, the PC fills the bill.

Anyway, read the post referenced above, and if you have any additional questions, you can email me from the blog. If I don't have the answer, I know some 4,000 IPCRC members in 18 countries who probably do.
pcstarship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #50
Oilboiler

Oddometer: 394
Swap the original Honda stator for one made by Electrex. I've never had a Pacific Coast but used one on a GSX1100S. Far better than the crummy Japanese original.
Oilboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #51
Audacious Nick
Forever indecisive

Oddometer: 656
If you're tall like me(6'4), or have a tall upper body, you'll be hit in the face by the wind.
I had to slouch down on the one I rode in order not to get hit in the face.
Just a warning for any potential buyers.
But they are quiet, have a huge storage space, and have plenty of grunt.
Audacious Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #52
The PacRat OP
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-rex1100
If you're tall like me(6'4), or have a tall upper body, you'll be hit in the face by the wind.
I had to slouch down on the one I rode in order not to get hit in the face.
Just a warning for any potential buyers.
But they are quiet, have a huge storage space, and have plenty of grunt.
I am tall and found that the top of the windshield was directly in my way. So... I got out the jigsaw and chopped about 6" off of it. I wear a full face helmet, so it worked out fine. I may even take off a few more inches since the wind is now directed to the chin of my helmet and creates a lot of noise.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #53
tjhess74
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
whoa, nice u-haul truck mirrors!

i had an 89 for a couple years. mega reliable and super easy maintenance.

developed an engine knock at 42k miles, but it went away after doing an engine flush.

i kinda miss that bike, but i needed more power for my camping trips so i upgraded to the concours 1000 and now the concours14.

the only thing that bothered me about the pc was that everybody kept asking me if it was a moped. in fact, my wife still refers to it as my 'gay moped'. that hurts.

a friend of mine still has his, its a 94 i think.

my goal is to see how many gallons of dead dinosaurs i can send through my bike.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
2007 Honda VFR800 RWB
tjhess74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #54
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
In the limited time I have spent on my cousins PC800, I do have to say it is not an exceptional machine in any one catagory. It handles better than you think it would, easy and low cost to maintain, not snappy in the performance dept but it pulls well, and with a few modifications could be a great sport-touring machine. Though the fuel tank could be a little larger, and the alternator a little more powerful it is still a very capable machine. Now if they had only put the RC51 motor in it.............
Old 12-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #55
The PacRat OP
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhess74
whoa, nice u-haul truck mirrors! ...
This is a salvage bike that I purchased cheap - no way I'm dropping $600 for OEM mirrors on a salvage bike. The nice thing about them is i can sure see A LOT behind me.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:08 PM   #56
Audacious Nick
Forever indecisive

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyAPO
In the limited time I have spent on my cousins PC800, I do have to say it is not an exceptional machine in any one catagory. It handles better than you think it would, easy and low cost to maintain, not snappy in the performance dept but it pulls well, and with a few modifications could be a great sport-touring machine. Though the fuel tank could be a little larger, and the alternator a little more powerful it is still a very capable machine. Now if they had made it not look gay
fixed.
Get your priorities straight dude.
Audacious Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #57
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
I had never heard of this bike until I read vermin's ride reports. Now I have seen two in the last three days and I want one.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #58
PolarCruiser
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Question Looking for a Pacific Coast?

Monitor the Pacific Coast Buy/Sell Registry for a PC800 near you:
WWW.PC800BUYSELL.ORG
Old 02-17-2009, 01:58 AM   #59
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,198
Thumb

I owned a '95. Great commuting and touring bike for people 6' and under. (I was too tall.) Not a lot of power, but not terrible either. Bulletproof and vitually maintenance free.

Only gripes: Fuel range is about 170 miles max.
Alternator output is lacking for those who need their electrical accessories.
Headlamp is so-so.

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #60
tekshogun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I've always loved these bikes but they were few and far between here in North Carolina and when I did see one up for sale, it was before i started riding and didn't have the money at the time.

Come to think of it, I've never seen one on the road before. Just pictures and video. Amazing...
tekshogun is offline   Reply With Quote