Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 07:16 AM   #16
acejones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,158
That is an interesting idea. However, I just renewed it last fall. Renewing again might raise some red flags in this country.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #17
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Swan
you either have to take the bike back to the border or get new id. they use your passport number to identify you. renew your passport and you will get a new number. this is probably cheaper then going all the way back to the border.
A Canadian friend of mine renewed his passport, got a new number and still couldn't get an import permit. He had wrecked his bike in Mexico and the insurance company didn't do what it was supposed to do to cancel his permit so he's been screwed ever since. Dan
Old 04-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #18
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,769
Seems the passport trick works about 1/2 of the time. One friend of mine brought his first bike down with his US passport as his ID at the border and then a year later brought a second bike down and only showed his driver's license to get a second sticker. Both times he crossed at Arizona.

Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw. I think that's why a lot of Texans will drive to the valley to cross since there seems to be quite a few bridge choices there. If you get turned down at one, then you've still got 5 or 6 others to gamble on until you get lucky.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #19
BajaPablo
BajaPablo

Oddometer: 5
BajaPablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones
Three of us just returned from a trip to Veracruz. We crossed at Reynosa. Due to road blockage we were unable to get into the Banjercito checkpoint and ended up in the one way lanes to the U.S. We were unable to return our stickers and get our receipts. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue ?

Again, the stickers must be turn in to the port of entry that you crossed coming into Mexico. If you don't return the stickers you will be "flagged" on your next crossing when you apply for a permit. You cannot just mail them in as the Border Guards must physically come out and check your machine. They produce a receipt from a hand-held unit that you can take with you as proof of surrendering your permit. You might be able to make it back there again if they flagged your passport, and next time you use your birth certificate. But they are getting much better in the computer-tracking age.
BajaPablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #20
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaPablo
Again, the stickers must be turn in to the port of entry that you crossed coming into Mexico.
The above is incorrect and has been covered here many times. They can be turned in at ANY crossing that has a Customs (Aduana) office. They do not have to be turned in to the same Aduana office. Dan
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #21
acejones OP
Beastly Adventurer

dtop1 is correct. I have turned in stickers at different crossings than where I got them. Also, the "border guards" have nothing to do with this. It is representatives of Banjercito. It's an entirely different organization.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #22
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,546
Rehashing this old thread with good info instead of starting a new one.

I have a similar situation about exiting without canceling and just want to hear your opinions:

I exited Mexico last year at Laredo (entered OJ) without canceling the permit on my DR650. I was turned away at the Mexico customs office saying they didnt know how to cancel the permit. I think they were just being lazy and I didnt want to cause a rukcus demanding it. Bad mistake but am trying to deal with it now. Local consulate said they can't do anything about it.

That DR650 was recently totaled (water in engine problems) and insurance claimed it.

Also, my Indian passport that I entered Mexico with last year expired, so I got a new one with new passport number.

I'm planning on entering Mexico next year with another new DR (heading all the way south) and do you think showing a new passport should not link me to the old un-exported DR? Being a third-country citizen (not American or Mexican), are my chances better?

If they do link my name to the older DR on older passport, is trying to enter at another border futile?

I'll have paperwork with me from my insurance to state what happened to the old bike - proving the bike is out of Mexico. Is this rational good enough? They mainly want to see that the bike wasn't sold in Mexico without paying taxes, right?

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #23
acejones OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, they are mostly concerned about collecting any taxes if you sold the bike in Mexico.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #24
strokerdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
I'm planning on entering Mexico next year with another new DR (heading all the way south) and do you think showing a new passport should not link me to the old un-exported DR? Being a third-country citizen (not American or Mexican), are my chances better?

If they do link my name to the older DR on older passport, is trying to enter at another border futile?

I'll have paperwork with me from my insurance to state what happened to the old bike - proving the bike is out of Mexico. Is this rational good enough? They mainly want to see that the bike wasn't sold in Mexico without paying taxes, right?
You should be OK with the new passport number. I wouldn't even bring up the previous bike. Everything is computerized now so trying another crossing wouldn't help.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #25
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
The process is especially easy over the internet now. Got my permit with a 3-day Fedex delivery directly from the office in Mexico City. I cancelled the permit on my way out at the checkpoint near Allende.
Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #26
t dog
n00b

Oddometer: 5
vin cancellation @ columbia crossing

Does anyone know if there is a vin # cancelation at the columbia crossing near laredo. I hope to pass through there in the next week. Never been through this crossing so not sure of the process. A few years back while crossing in juarez the check point was about 30 minutes before the border at a check point. If you missed it you had to drive back 30 minutes to get it signed off before crossing into the U.S. If there is one for the Columbia crossing could someone identify where it is. Thanks!
t dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #27
AZ SAM
TUCSON AND THE WORLD

Oddometer: 38
You Didn't Really Want To Go Back Any Way.

Per my wisdom and experience, it would be better to take the bike back. Mexico claims they will put the price of the bike on your credit card. I have never heard of this happening. Don't know what happens when you don't clear customs coming out and try to go back in with a different vechicle.

We don't need no stinkin' papers

Have a great day.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #28
ontheborder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
If you haven't checked your bike out properly and go back with a different vehicle, I believe they will not give you a permit without you paying the tax on the original vehicle. They have the NADA or Kelly Blue Book. The tax is steep.

I do not believe that they will hit up your credit card..
Old 11-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #29
C5!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
This is a follow-up on the post I made on this thread earlier this year. I exited Mexico without checking through a banejercito because there was none at that border point with Guatemala. I was pretty concerned once I was back in Venezuela. I contacted with banejercito by email from here, they remitted me to the Customs office. Exchanged emails, then sent them by mail the documentation with pictures etc demonstrating that the bike had exited Mexico, crossed a number of other countries and was now effectively in Venezuela. and they cancelled my permit and emailed me back that I would be welcome back in Mexico anytime !! I was impressed !
C5! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #30
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5!
. and they cancelled my permit and emailed me back that I would be welcome back in Mexico anytime !! I was impressed !
Good deal. Thanx for letting us know that this can be done through email now.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote