Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #31
C5!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Next time I go to mexico, if I ever have the opportunity, I will do the permit stuff the right way, I would not bet that I could have the same luck. It was like an exception to the procedure, a "force majeure", but it is good that their system accepts that.
C5! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #32
hammockman
Always Lost!

Oddometer: 124
Had to pay $350 US

I just rode my DR650 back home to Costa Rica and apparently didn´t clear my car that I drove down a few years ago. I really wanted to go through the day I arrived at the border so ended up bribing the officials at the Progresso (Brownsville) $350 US to get the car canceled so I could bring the bike in. It sucked but when your trip clock is ticking...
Old 11-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #33
bmwroadrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Question

I was reading a post you made on this thread about canceling your Mexico vehicle permit by mail/email. I have am uncancled permit for a 1975 BMW R/75 that I took to mexico 5 years ago. A few months after returning I was in an accident where the bike was totaled. I have the police report and Junk title. Does anybody have advice to get the permit canceled other than returning the bike to the border

Cheers
bmwroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #34
RockiesTwin
Dfrag y0ur BrAin

Oddometer: 138
Since this is a fairly fresh thread and mentioned a few things of interest how is the crossing at Reynosa? Any suggestions as for where to get my Insurance and permit from Online? How much time do I need? Also, do you have to specify ahead of time where you're crossing?
RockiesTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #35
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
Rehashing this old thread with good info instead of starting a new one.

I have a similar situation about exiting without canceling and just want to hear your opinions:

I exited Mexico last year at Laredo (entered OJ) without canceling the permit on my DR650. I was turned away at the Mexico customs office saying they didnt know how to cancel the permit. I think they were just being lazy and I didnt want to cause a rukcus demanding it. Bad mistake but am trying to deal with it now. Local consulate said they can't do anything about it.

That DR650 was recently totaled (water in engine problems) and insurance claimed it.

Also, my Indian passport that I entered Mexico with last year expired, so I got a new one with new passport number.

I'm planning on entering Mexico next year with another new DR (heading all the way south) and do you think showing a new passport should not link me to the old un-exported DR? Being a third-country citizen (not American or Mexican), are my chances better?

If they do link my name to the older DR on older passport, is trying to enter at another border futile?

I'll have paperwork with me from my insurance to state what happened to the old bike - proving the bike is out of Mexico. Is this rational good enough? They mainly want to see that the bike wasn't sold in Mexico without paying taxes, right?
Just wanted to post an update to my situation:

Two weeks ago, I successfully entered Mexico at Columbus, NM with my new DR on a new passport number and no questions were asked of the previous bike. That same day, I exited at Jaurez and made sure to cancel my vehicle permit at Banjercito, pay my tourist permit there as well and exit the country clean. So next time I head down, I know I'm all good

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #36
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Where is the closest Banjercito site that cancels the permit at the Colombia crossing?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. I just looked it up on the Banjercito website. It's right there at the bridge.

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 09-21-2009 at 11:39 AM
Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #37
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Just wanted to post an update to my situation:

Two weeks ago, I successfully entered Mexico at Columbus, NM with my new DR on a new passport number and no questions were asked of the previous bike. That same day, I exited at Jaurez and made sure to cancel my vehicle permit at Banjercito, pay my tourist permit there as well and exit the country clean. So next time I head down, I know I'm all good
Nice!
Bajarider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #38
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
Quote:
Jay - curious - appears your intent was "test" to see if you had "clean" credentials to get another TVIP, so on a future trip you wouldn't have to worry about doing all the planning and getting turned away at the border. You could have just applied online for the TVIP to accomplish the same goal...
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #39
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
Jay - curious - appears your intent was "test" to see if you had "clean" credentials to get another TVIP, so on a future trip you wouldn't have to worry about doing all the planning and getting turned away at the border. You could have just applied online for the TVIP to accomplish the same goal...
I know, was given the same advice from another adver, but since I was going to be at the border anyways, I wanted to be 100% sure that there would be no problems.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #40
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
....since I was going to be at the border anyways
I thought of a few great comebacks to that line, but I'll defer to another time....
Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #41
Capt Crunch
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Expired import permit

Looking for advice,
My friend and I have our motos stored at a friends house in PV Mexico. They have been there 1 year. We plan on flying to PV next week and riding them to Belize.
Problem is, the temporary import permit is only good for 6 months. Not sure what kind of problems this is going to cause. According to the Consulate the bikes will be confiscated if we get pulled over and they may confiscate them at the Belize border. They told me that I could get a "Safe Return Permit" that was good for 5 days to get the bike back across the US border and I was not allowed to take it across the Belize border.
Capt Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #42
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

If your bikes are sitting in Puerto Vallarta with expired TVIPs, here's how I'd look at it:

a. Fly into Puerto Vallarta, ride the bikes to an aduana and take care of the expired permit, get a new permit, and go from there. A list of aduanas and other misc. stuff here:

Information

b. Fly into Puerto Vallarta, have a beer with your pal, rent two fresh bikes there and do the adventure, ride back to Puerto Vallarta, then ride out on your bikes, taking care of the permits at a border aduana.

c. Stick to your plan. There is no guarantee that your bikes will be impounded, but there is no guarantee that they won't. I don't recommend this option.

There have been a few posts seen in Trip Planning and Regionals by people who are suggesting everything can be taken care of by paying mordidas. "Hey, it's Mexico", or "slip 'em a $20". I don't agree with this mentality at all, in fact, I highly discourage trip planning based upon ignoring Mexico law and procedure. To do the right thing is too easy. Sometimes inconvenient as in your case, but your situation is easy to fix.

Suerte
Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #43
Capt Crunch
n00b

Oddometer: 5
options limited

Thanks for the advice.
After several tele calls it appears that renewing an expired import permit is not an option unless you first exit the country, cancel your existing permit and obtain a new one. This is worth noting if anybody else out there is planning (or not) to have their bike in Mexico for longer than six months.

So.. I guess Ill continue on to Belize and see what happens at the border.
Capt Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #44
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

TVIP Cliff Notes

Here's the Essential Element:

(1) Aduana officials have to physically compare your motorcycle's VIN with your TVIP paperwork and sticker when you leave Mexico.

(2) Other options can be worked after the fact, but are painful. With respect to "fixing" TVIP issues, there have been many postings, problems worked via PM, and telephone conversations with Banjercito HQ in Mexico City. Lot's of work! If you have a problem, your situation can be fixed with effort, but pre-planning can help eliminate the pain involved in fixing a paperwork snafu!

Therefore:

(3) Always clear your TVIP when exiting Mexico unless you are absolutely sure you'll be using the same permit within the time limit authorized (usually 180 days).

.....(A) Better to cancel if in doubt and pay for a new permit later.

.....(B) I've seen postings by riders who say the border aduana was closed so they just rode home. Better to wait, or drive to another aduana, then to go home and ignore your cancelation obligations. Especially if it is inconvenient for you to return to Mexico to cancel said permit.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #45
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
best comment of the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
they are already jap/american

just clever, I laughed on your comment.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net