User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #46
ebringas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
mexico permit

I have been doing the mexican border permit in the past 10 yrs.... There´s no way to get cancellation of the permit without the vehicle/bike....

If you plan to cross mexican border with another bike without cancelling your previous permit two things can happen... get a new permit to cross into mexico or not to get a permit because system will show your name that you did not return or cancel the permit...

This is a 6 month permit per year...

BUT... TRY TO CANCEL PREVIOUS PERMIT WITH YOUR NEW BIKE... I DID IT ONCE WITH AN ATV AND WORK FINE... I DID GET THE CANCELLATION...

SOMETIMES THEY ASK YOU TO READ VIN OF YOUR BIKE BECAUSE THEY JUST DONT WANT TO DO THE JOB... SO READ OTHER BIKE VIN NOT YOUR NEW BIKE . . . SOMETIMES THEY CANNOT FIND VIN NUMBER OR VIN NUMBER ON BIKE IS NOT VERY VISIBLE THAT´S WERE YOU TAKE ADVANCE AND YOU READ THE OTHER BIKE VIN...

BEFORE DOING ALL THE PROCESS FOR THE NEW PERMIT, DRIVE TO THE CANCELLATION LANE ON YOUR NEW BIKE AND TRY TO GET THE CANCELLATION . . . AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BILL OF $50.00USD IN CASE YOU NEED IT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones
Yeah, they are mostly concerned about collecting any taxes if you sold the bike in Mexico.
ebringas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #47
ebringas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
ANY INTNL AIRPORT IN MEXICO WILL DO THE CANCELLATION WITH THE BIKE... THEN YOU CAN GET A FRESH OR NEW PERMIT... FOR ANOTHER SIX MONTHS IN MEXICO....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
If your bikes are sitting in Puerto Vallarta with expired TVIPs, here's how I'd look at it:

a. Fly into Puerto Vallarta, ride the bikes to an aduana and take care of the expired permit, get a new permit, and go from there. A list of aduanas and other misc. stuff here:

Information

b. Fly into Puerto Vallarta, have a beer with your pal, rent two fresh bikes there and do the adventure, ride back to Puerto Vallarta, then ride out on your bikes, taking care of the permits at a border aduana.

c. Stick to your plan. There is no guarantee that your bikes will be impounded, but there is no guarantee that they won't. I don't recommend this option.

There have been a few posts seen in Trip Planning and Regionals by people who are suggesting everything can be taken care of by paying mordidas. "Hey, it's Mexico", or "slip 'em a $20". I don't agree with this mentality at all, in fact, I highly discourage trip planning based upon ignoring Mexico law and procedure. To do the right thing is too easy. Sometimes inconvenient as in your case, but your situation is easy to fix.

Suerte
ebringas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #48
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Oddometer: 318
Cancelation

Mexican law allows one vehicle at a time per person. Unless you want to change your name to John Q Duh. Changing your passport is not going to work,

You MUST physically bring your bike to the border and cancel. KEEP THAT CANCELATION RECEIPT FOREVER. You dont want to try to explain that it was cancelled and not have a reciept. This is the government and it is the MEXICAN government.

With that said. Enjoy your trip...but your gonna have to do it on the same bike. Try to do it B4 your permiso expires otherwise I believe there is a 72 hour waiting period.

Good luck.
First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!
El Stigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #49
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDCMEX
...Try to do it B4 your permiso expires otherwise I believe there is a 72 hour waiting period.

Good luck.
This may have been the case at some point, but I recently took the same bike back with a year and a half expired permiso to the Colombia Bridge crossing west of Laredo and they simply asked me to ride over to the cancel permiso shack, which I did, then rode back to immigration office and was immediately issued a new permiso, no fine, no waiting, no hassle. I should mention that I did have the expired permiso with me.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #50
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Oddometer: 318
Good To Hear!

THIS IS GREAT TO HEAR!

ANYONE KNOW IF THAT IS THE CASE AT ALL ENTRY AND EXIT POINTS IN MEXICO?

SINCE I LIVE IN MEXICO I DONT DO LOTS OF US/MEXICO CROSSINGS.

I DID JUST COME BACK FROM A 41 DAY ROAD TRIP THROUGH 10 SW STATES. RIDE REPORT LATER!!!!!

ANYONE NEED ASSISTANCE ONCE IN MEXICO, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

GOOD LUCK ACE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse
This may have been the case at some point, but I recently took the same bike back with a year and a half expired permiso to the Colombia Bridge crossing west of Laredo and they simply asked me to ride over to the cancel permiso shack, which I did, then rode back to immigration office and was immediately issued a new permiso, no fine, no waiting, no hassle. I should mention that I did have the expired permiso with me.
First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!
El Stigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #51
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
TVIP Questions?

I'm leaving the bike in Puerta Vallarta storage next month, and I'm wondering what the best options are for a fly and ride next trip down, I'd prefer to avoid the hassels described in some posts here.

1) If the TVIP expires before I get there again, is it just a matter of going to the PV airport, cancelling the old one (expired) and getting a new one?

2) If I get there before the 6 month expirey date, can I go to the PV airport, cancel the current one, and get a new 6 month TVIP?

3) Does the PV airport offer this service?

Any one have first hand knowledge on this? Any link to purchasing the TVIP online would be much apprciated too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebringas View Post
ANY INTNL AIRPORT IN MEXICO WILL DO THE CANCELLATION WITH THE BIKE... THEN YOU CAN GET A FRESH OR NEW PERMIT... FOR ANOTHER SIX MONTHS IN MEXICO....
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #52
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
Any one have first hand knowledge on this?

Any link to purchasing the TVIP online would be much apprciated too
Karmatourer is your man for bikes & airports. He may be able to give you assistance regarding what you seek - PM him.

Search ADV - seems like there are 73 threads on getting an online TVIP as of this morning.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #53
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,269
Pinche Payaso!
I sure do miss SA.
I'll get an answer off to him shortly.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #54
dimkick
Kokopelo

Oddometer: 21
a little complicated...

I entered Mexico back in Nogales in February of this year and never got a temp vehicle importation permit. I've been here about 5 months, traveling without a problem for the most part until just recently when I crashed my bike. It got towed and I was hospitalized. I'm out, and am on my way to pay the Federal Transit Police 2500 pesos in infraction fees, it's separate story on its own, but to claim my bike back from the impound, along with this fee I need a lot of papers, including the Importation Permit that I never had to begin with.
Any ideas with what kind of options im left with?
I'm not sure if my motorcycle is totaled (they wont let me check it out until I have the permission papers from the fed police that all fees are paid) but can they still prevent me from claiming it without import permit?

www.instagram.com/kokopello
dimkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #55
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^

Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to link to your story in the Traveling Mexico thread as a "heads up" or "lesson learned" post based upon your situation. Hopefully your story will help educate others as to the consequences of not acquiring a TVIP to protect yourself downrange in Mexico in the (vast majority of ) places it is required.

IIWY, I'd get a Spanish speaking representative to go with you to (hopefully) work this out. Wish I could guide you myself through the process, but (A) this is a new one even for me, and I've been around TVIP discussions on this board for a long time. And (B), I have a hunch the process can go one of several ways, if you get my drift. I would not try to work this out on your own if you're not proficient in Spanish - you will be in a much better position to navigate through any "delicate" negotiations with any potentially officious authority.

Keep us updated and good luck
Old 06-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #56
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkick View Post
I'm not sure if my motorcycle is totaled (they wont let me check it out until I have the permission papers from the fed police that all fees are paid) but can they still prevent me from claiming it without import permit?
Probably

But try negotiation through a capable native speaker first. You may also be able to negotiate some type of "letter of transit" saying you paid the fine and fees and that the letter is to clear you to the border. Failing that, you can obtain a TVIP online, you'll just have to figure out how to get it delivered into your hands.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #57
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkick View Post
I entered Mexico back in Nogales in February of this year and never got a temp vehicle importation permit. I've been here about 5 months, traveling without a problem for the most part until just recently when I crashed my bike. It got towed and I was hospitalized. I'm out, and am on my way to pay the Federal Transit Police 2500 pesos in infraction fees, it's separate story on its own, but to claim my bike back from the impound, along with this fee I need a lot of papers, including the Importation Permit that I never had to begin with.
Any ideas with what kind of options im left with?
If you're still in Sonora, you don't need a TVIP
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #58
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^

Check his blog
Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #59
dimkick
Kokopelo

Oddometer: 21
Importation permit sample

Does anyone have an up to date copy of their vehicle tax importation document from this year (2014) for reference.. That they don't mind sharing. I'm curious to see what it looks like and what kind of information it asks for. I imagine it's also on a digital database somewhere.

www.instagram.com/kokopello
dimkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #60
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,100
El Ceibo update

Banjercito now accepts credit cards at the Mex-Guate boder crossing bear El Ceibo according to Alex LeFur who crossed about 8 weeks ago and acquired his TVIP there.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote