ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
jad3675 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 113
Touring on a Ducati 848...



Went from Cincinnati to Birmingham for the AMA races this past weekend. Figured I could do things the easy way and take the R1100S, but what's the fun in that? Did 600 miles yesterday, and it was actually pretty comfortable. I wouldn't have been able to do it without the Sargent seat and the gel grips though. Bike is surprising vibration free at 80+ mph, and my average fuel economy was 45 mpg - which is good, because the bike only has a 4.1 gallon tank.

John
__________________
'01 Aprilia Falco - '98 Ducati 916

jad3675 screwed with this post 04-21-2008 at 10:09 AM
jad3675 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
a1fa
Riding Nomad™
 
a1fa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 13,679
You one lucky dude :P
__________________
Learn to ride. Ride to learn.
a1fa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!
 
RocketJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Denver Metro
Oddometer: 11,330
beautiful bike... I can't do more than about 300 miles on my 998 before my hips and knees are done...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
WAP
Weekday Warrior
 
WAP's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: the cut
Oddometer: 998
Well done!

I love touring on my SBK, gives me much more satisfaction than a "proper" touring bike ever would.

I've found a "throttle rocker" type gizmo takes away most of my discomfort, but plan on adding new grips and either a Sargent or sheepskin seat eventually.

What tail bag did you use?

You may get as much of a kick out of this as I did. Dude does his best to turn a 1098s into a sport tourer. http://www.onewheeldrive.net/index.p...d=760&Itemid=1
__________________
2002 GS500
2007 SV1S For Sale!
2013 990 SMT
WAP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
OnlyVees
Moto-journalist
 
OnlyVees's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: 32°17'31.37N, 110°51'27.00W
Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad3675
Bike is surprising vibration free at 80+ mph, and my average fuel economy was 45 mpg - which is good, because the bike only has a 4.1 gallon tank.
You've gotta love the Italian bike geared-to-the-Moon mentality.
__________________
2 kids, 1 wife, no bike.
OnlyVees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
jad3675 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP
Well done!

I love touring on my SBK, gives me much more satisfaction than a "proper" touring bike ever would.

I've found a "throttle rocker" type gizmo takes away most of my discomfort, but plan on adding new grips and either a Sargent or sheepskin seat eventually.

What tail bag did you use?

You may get as much of a kick out of this as I did. Dude does his best to turn a 1098s into a sport tourer. http://www.onewheeldrive.net/index.p...d=760&Itemid=1
Yeah, same idea here - what's fun in having hard luggage and heated grips? :) Well, maybe last night when I was riding back at midnight, in 50 degrees with rain. Good thing the seat is heated....
I used a Nelson-Riggs CL-150 as the tailpack. The passenger seat on the 848 is tiny, so I made a base plate out of a 1/4 thick delrin cutting board. I cut some slots in it, threaded some nylon straps through it and strapped it to the seat that way. Then I attached the tailpack to the board. Kinda dorky, but it worked.

John
__________________
'01 Aprilia Falco - '98 Ducati 916
jad3675 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
Bong
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Oddometer: 135
Glad to see I'm not the only one crazy enough to do multi day rides on my duc...can you post pics of your tail seat mod without the bag mounted.

Thanks!
Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
Terrytori
Namaste
 
Terrytori's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad3675


Did 600 miles yesterday, and it was actually pretty comfortable.

John


Good on ya man. I did about 200 miles on a 675 a couple of weeks
back and was pretty much done. Killer ride you've got there.
__________________
2013 Ninja 300 ABS, '11 883 Iron ( kicked to 1200), 2013 KTM 690 Duke

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
jad3675 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong
Glad to see I'm not the only one crazy enough to do multi day rides on my duc...can you post pics of your tail seat mod without the bag mounted.

Thanks!
Check them out here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jad3675/Touring/

It's part of a cutting board I bought at Target - I cut the reliefs in the edges for the bungee straps on the tail pack to wrap around. I drilled the three holes on each side so I could fasten a bungee net around the tail pack. The seat plate did flex a little bit when I cinched the straps down tight - I'm planning on affixing a AL plate across the 'Y' bits under the seat to prevent that. It worked very well on this trip though - it stayed attached at speeds that weren't quite legal.

John
__________________
'01 Aprilia Falco - '98 Ducati 916
jad3675 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
Bong
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Oddometer: 135
Did the cutting board touch the fairing at all? Looks like a great idea for my next long ride on the 1098.

I adapted a hypermotard tail pack on my 1098S for a 5 day 1900 mile ride last October. Would have been nice to be able to bring a few more bits with me. Thanks for the great idea!


Did your bike look like this after all those miles?
Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
Groomez
Studly Adventurer
 
Groomez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Greenville, SC
Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong
Did the cutting board touch the fairing at all? Looks like a great idea for my next long ride on the 1098.

I adapted a hypermotard tail pack on my 1098S for a 5 day 1900 mile ride last October. Would have been nice to be able to bring a few more bits with me. Thanks for the great idea!


Did your bike look like this after all those miles?

Awesome bugsplats!!!!
__________________
RIP #58
Current:
2010 Ducati Streetfighter
Groomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
jad3675 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong
Did the cutting board touch the fairing at all? Looks like a great idea for my next long ride on the 1098.

I adapted a hypermotard tail pack on my 1098S for a 5 day 1900 mile ride last October. Would have been nice to be able to bring a few more bits with me. Thanks for the great idea!


Did your bike look like this after all those miles?
Nope, the cutting board didn't touch the tail piece at all - neither did the bungee straps that wrapped underneath it. During the ride, I could reach back and feel the assembly moving a bit, but it never came close to touching anything.

I saw your post on 1098-forum about the hypermotard tail pack - I thought about using that, but inspiration hit when I was cutting chicken one night for dinner. :)

My bike was not quite as bad as yours....

John
__________________
'01 Aprilia Falco - '98 Ducati 916
jad3675 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #13
El Diablo
Mama I'm goi'n fast!
 
El Diablo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose CA
Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad3675


Went from Cincinnati to Birmingham for the AMA races this past weekend. Figured I could do things the easy way and take the R1100S, but what's the fun in that? Did 600 miles yesterday, and it was actually pretty comfortable. I wouldn't have been able to do it without the Sargent seat and the gel grips though. Bike is surprising vibration free at 80+ mph, and my average fuel economy was 45 mpg - which is good, because the bike only has a 4.1 gallon tank.

John
Nice...which bas is this? How did you mount it?
__________________
2011 BMW S1000RR
2007 Husqvarna TE 610
2009 Kawasaki C14 ABS sold
2008 Ducati HM sold
2008 Ducati 1098 sold
2006 Kawasaki ZX14 sold
2006 KTM 950A sold
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #14
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,614
Ahhh....

SPORT-touring !!!


__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #15
sfarson
On a Ride
 
sfarson's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Rockies
Oddometer: 2,128
jad... Take a bow. Good form.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014