Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
jantarek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Question CT,Trans-lab,NF,NS,CT in 10days ???

Well so I got this crazy idea to do this in 10 days
I would like to leave on luly 30 after work
and be back by august 10 at the latest.
so far is just a rough draft but I can't stop thinking about it

I know its a push but........

opinions???

My SpotWala
jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
dusty308
wanderer

Oddometer: 444
wow that looks like quite the ride, im from ct too a town or two over from you let me know you wanna go for a ride some time
cheers
josh
Old 04-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
jantarek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *dusty*
wow that looks like quite the ride, im from ct too a town or two over from you let me know you wanna go for a ride some time
cheers
josh
sure thing, today I'm going to canton cycle and after that to something we call tuesday night dinner, its bunch of people meeting together on tuesdays in selected places ct,ny or ma, this one is:

This Tuesday we,re going to Marble Dale Pub. The
Route 202
New Preston Marble Dale, CT 06777
(860) 868-1496 at about 7:00 pm

saturday:
I'm thinking on taking a ride to Catskill's and back , about 300 plus miles total
Jerry
My SpotWala
Old 04-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
djmase
something catchy.

Oddometer: 286
Jantarek, I am planning to do the same run, counterclockwise in June. My timeline is about the same as what you have going on. I think it seems pretty doable as long as there are no mechanicals.
Best of luck.
djmase
Old 04-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Radar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Marine-Atlantic ferry system and time

I'm doing CT to Cape Spear and beyond at the end of June. Remenber that the ferry system does not run frequently, so the timing for them is critical. Think about planning your ride to assure the certainty (HA!) that you will be around when the ferry is resdy to go...ie - shortest road time to make the ferry.
Be careful about the need to make reservations.
Bill Rauschenberg
Radar's Rider
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
notarex
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
Is the Trans-lab the goal? If not, I think it would be better to not rush and take your time touring New Brunswick and Nova Scotia with a hop on the ferry to Newfoundland if you feel like it. There's so much that's pretty up there- why haul ass through it? Or maybe I'm trying to talk you into the trip I've been planning for next year...

1963 CA95

2006 RUCKUS

To boldly go where no Ruckus has gone before...
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #7
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
I have been thinking about a very similar trip this summer, starting here on Long Island NY. One thing I would like to suggest is to not take Rt. 95 all the way across Maine, as your map shows. Instead, consider taking Route 9 from Bangor heading east to the New Brunswick border. I took this road last summer and it's a blast. Very little traffic and an abundance of long, high speed sweepers. Nice scenery too.
Rt 9 brings you to the boarder near Calais, Maine. From here you can head along the coast to St. John to see the reversing falls, which is one of the things I plan to see on my way to (or from) Nova Scotia. The ride along the coast should also be beautiful. However you go, I'm sure it will be a great trip.
Avocet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
jantarek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmase
Jantarek, I am planning to do the same run, counterclockwise in June. My timeline is about the same as what you have going on. I think it seems pretty doable as long as there are no mechanicals.
Best of luck.
djmase
Thats how I want it to do it in the first place but because of my time limit I deciced to go clocwise instead, I just don't know what might happen on trans lab. good luck with your trip

Quote:
I'm doing CT to Cape Spear and beyond at the end of June. Remenber that the ferry system does not run frequently, so the timing for them is critical. Think about planning your ride to assure the certainty (HA!) that you will be around when the ferry is resdy to go...ie - shortest road time to make the ferry.
Be careful about the need to make reservations.
Bill Rauschenberg
Radar's Rider
I did call all three ferry offices and they said the same thing , I do have all the schedules. o well I gues I'll take it as it will happen, if I get stock out there?,......welll I will either call sick for few days or......anyone needs CNC designer/programmer starting sometime in mid August???? How much time are planning to spend on your trip?

Quote:

Is the Trans-lab the goal? If not, I think it would be better to not rush and take your time touring New Brunswick and Nova Scotia with a hop on the ferry to Newfoundland if you feel like it. There's so much that's pretty up there- why haul ass through it? Or maybe I'm trying to talk you into the trip I've been planning for next year...

the Trans-lab is a major point of the trip but not the only that for sure, the only sad thing is that I won't have more time to spend in Newfoundland , unless those bustards at work will let me take mor vacation time .
thanks for the offer but next year I might go on a little longer trip.........

Quote:
I have been thinking about a very similar trip this summer, starting here on Long Island NY. One thing I would like to suggest is to not take Rt. 95 all the way across Maine, as your map shows. Instead, consider taking Route 9 from Bangor heading east to the New Brunswick border. I took this road last summer and it's a blast. Very little traffic and an abundance of long, high speed sweepers. Nice scenery too.
Rt 9 brings you to the boarder near Calais, Maine. From here you can head along the coast to St. John to see the reversing falls, which is one of the things I plan to see on my way to (or from) Nova Scotia. The ride along the coast should also be beautiful. However you go, I'm sure it will be a great trip.
thanks for the tip I will take a look at it,. when do you want to do yours?

thank you all for your comments and help, so far everything is looking ok and the trip has a go.
My SpotWala

jantarek screwed with this post 04-24-2008 at 08:48 AM
Old 04-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Actually, I was thinking of going about the same time as you, but haven't chosen a specific date. Fortunately for me I can be somewhat flexible about my departure and return date. The advantage of going at the end of July or early August is that it's the driest and warmest time of the year up there. I was in Maine and a little in New Brunswick last year during the first week in August, and the weather was perfect aside from a couple of short but spectacular thunderstorms.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #10
jantarek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet
Actually, I was thinking of going about the same time as you, but haven't chosen a specific date. Fortunately for me I can be somewhat flexible about my departure and return date. The advantage of going at the end of July or early August is that it's the driest and warmest time of the year up there. I was in Maine and a little in New Brunswick last year during the first week in August, and the weather was perfect aside from a couple of short but spectacular thunderstorms.

hmmm. well if you like to join forces than that would be great , you can either come along strating from here, or if you like to leave day or two ahead than we can meet up somewhere out there,
My SpotWala
Old 04-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Riding together for all or part of the ride sounds like fun. I might want to take a little longer then you are planning to take, so I'm not sure that going together for the whole trip will work out. I'm planning to stay at motels and avoid camping. Does that fit with what you plan to do?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
jantarek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet
Riding together for all or part of the ride sounds like fun. I might want to take a little longer then you are planning to take, so I'm not sure that going together for the whole trip will work out. I'm planning to stay at motels and avoid camping. Does that fit with what you plan to do?

hmmmmmm, well lets do this , plan yours and I will try to fit into it at least for a part of it, when comes to camping I'm a cheap bustard , my last trip I slept on rest area lol, but staying in motel once in a while its a good thing.
My SpotWala
Old 04-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
Don't forget about the bugs. It might not be a problem while riding but at a campsite or at slow speeds they are a PIA, just a thought.

Good luck.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #14
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,495
If you wanted to you could do Quebec to Happy Valley in 2 days. We did it in 3 on the way up and 2 on the way back. They would be long days though.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #15
2touringtheworld
World shrinkers

Oddometer: 1,211
You could make it time wise but why?

Guys,

I think you could make it, but you really should ask yourself if you want to zoom through where you are going. It is so awesome, you will probably want to slow down and smell the roses.

I love the twisties etc. but jeez, you may just find out that this place is just too incredible to blow on by.

If you want, you can check out our RR to help you make up your minds...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240316

Whatever your decision, you are going to have a great time!

Good luck and have fun!
2touringtheworld is online now   Reply With Quote