Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #16
BV BEEMER
Can I see some ID?

Oddometer: 562
I live in a town of 2k. If I am just "in" town running around, then it's jacket, gloves and helmet, and usually work boots.
BV BEEMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #17
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,277
I'm new and as far as gear goes ive got a modular helmet, gauntlet gloves and a tourmaster jacket. Once I get enough experince I'll start commuting to work, but the problem is I dont have anywhere to store my gear once there. A jacket is fine but I dont have a locker or anything and I dont want to leave my helmet and gloves in the open. Also we're not allowed to have non see through bags. Although I might be able to be them to make an exception.

Does anyone know of gear you could wear all day long, compacts down well or be worn over regular clothing and can be taken off without taking my boots off?

Sorry for the highjack.
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #18
Jim1960
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I'll admit to being a SOTGSOTT rider.

Helmet-always but the type varies i.e.; MX style, full face, or 3/4. depends on the ride and the weather.

Eye protection-always; Goggles, prescription riding glasses or face shield. Again with me it depends on the ride and the weather.

Boots-always; MX style, "biker style", or work boots. depends on the ride AND the mood that I'm in.

Long pants-always; Usually plain old Levi's but, could be riding pants or kevlar too.

Gloves-always; could be riding gloves or just good leather work gloves. The best pair of "riding gloves" that I have were bought at a LEO uniform store. Fairly heavy pigskin with a Kevlar liner. Light weight with an elastic cuff. I've had them for ten years and, they're still hangin' in there.

Jackets-optional; some with armor, some without. Depends on what I'm doing and the weather.

Shirts vary with the weather, yeah I know yada yada, yeah I ride in a t-shirt during the hot summer months.

Well tha's my $0.02 (if it's worth more, I want a refund!)

........Jim
Jim1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #19
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I'm new and as far as gear goes ive got a modular helmet, gauntlet gloves and a tourmaster jacket. Once I get enough experince I'll start commuting to work, but the problem is I dont have anywhere to store my gear once there. A jacket is fine but I dont have a locker or anything and I dont want to leave my helmet and gloves in the open. Also we're not allowed to have non see through bags. Although I might be able to be them to make an exception.
I'd have to ask what you ride, where you work, and what parking security is like. I hardly go anywhere without a locking topbox, it's just too convenient. But if parking security isn't too bad, you might find a cable lock is enough to lock riding pants & helmet to the bike.

Quote:
Does anyone know of gear you could wear all day long, compacts down well or be worn over regular clothing and can be taken off without taking my boots off?
There's quite a bit of gear that can go on/off over street clothes- An Aerostich RoadCrafter jumps to my mind, but that might be because I just wish they'd hurry up and get my new one shipped. They're spendy, but worth it, and can be found on fleaBay for reasonable prices. There are other things, including fairly lightweight mesh gear, that should go on over street clothes; the best thing is to go to a dealer and start trying to get in/out of things.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:28 PM   #20
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,337
ATGMOTT. Always wear some sort of jacket, helmet, gloves, and boots, directly proportional to percieved risk. If I'm just moving the bike to a different parking spot, I percieve a lot less risk than pointing it at the far corner of the state, so I'm less likely to be fully armored.

95% of the time, I grab the 'stich. I mean, it's hardly more complicated than a jacket to put on, so why not? Somtimes I grab the leather jacket if I'm only going a few miles. I went w/o a helmet once when I lived in Colorado, scared the crap out of me. Enough of that... Some sort of gloves, even if it's just a pair of work gloves, jeans, and hiking boots, minimum.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:50 PM   #21
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
More of an ATGATT person these days, but have not always been that way. I still remember that last time I crashed (short sleeves and jeans), and I still remember the last time I almost crashed (short sleeves and jeans with a leather jacket strapped on the seat). I've always worn helmet, gloves and over the ankle boots.

Knowing what it's like to crash - the price I pay in wearing ATGATT is minimal to the recovery period following that one second of indicision leading upto my next crash.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #22
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward
I'd have to ask what you ride, where you work, and what parking security is like.
I have a DR250, I work for a department store at the local mall (hopefully that'll change soon) and we have a designated employee parking area in one of the open parking lots, but I might be able to persuade them to let me park in the parking garage so I can chain lock my bike to one of the steel pipes. It's not a bad area, I just don't want it out in the open.
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #23
tyrannosaurus_mex
Roaming the Earth

Oddometer: 98
I always have a helmet, jacket, gloves and over the ankle boots. My riding boots are so easy to put on and I just feel safer on them holding up my GS Adventure. As for pants, I will ocassionally ride in plain old jeans...however 99% of the time I either wear riding pants with armor, over pants with armor or a pair of Hood Riding Jeans (most of the time with armor, once in a while without). So I guess that makes me a MOTGATT.

What I like to think about when I start to rationalize on my gear is how hard the damn pavement feels when all I'm doing is kneeling on it to check my tire pressure before a ride. Go out to the asphalt and just drop to your knees. I've never done that, it sounds to painful Now imagine hitting it at 60mph. That gets me into the gear all the time.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #24
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
WIFLATT - Whatever I Feel Like At The Time

I'm pushing 100,000 miles of riding. (Not a record by any means I know but a fairly experienced rider.)

I actually enjoy riding in Levis and a t-shirt without a helmet. (In the right weather and not city riding.) But I live in Washington where there's a helmet law so often ride my LT with an HJC half helmet if the weather is nice. When touring I always have both a half and fullface with me on that bike.

I always wear a fullface for city riding - too many idiots aorund here. I always wear gloves, protective eyewear and riding boots.

I usually wear a well-armored mesh, textile or leather jacket. Draggin jeans or armored pants depending on the weather.

On my other bikes, I always wear a full-face Arai Quantum because of the wind. I figure if I'm going to wear a helmet, I might as well have a good one.

Been down twice, one serious accident that totaled the bike and damaged my knee a bit, one not so bad low side into a ditch. In both instances I was wearing a fullface Arai Quantum. In neither case did my helmet touch the ground but in the last few milliseconds before impact I was damned glad to have it on. I suppose I should've learned something from those experiences, guess not...
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #25
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,098
Iím typically MOTGATT. Riding in ATGATT doesnít work for riding to school where I teach. So when commuting, Iím usually in gloves, helmet, and jacket but no boots or riding pants. If itís the weekend and Iím riding for fun, then its ATGATT.
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #26
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 566
i think it is what ever YOU feel comfortable wearing. me, i weat ATGATT no exceptions. my commute is 4 miles and i wear ATGATT. today after work i went approx 2 miles to visit my uncle, again ATGATT no exceptions. tomorrow i plan on riding approx 180 miles of backroads and i will be wearing all the gear. it does not matter how far i go it's all the gear all the time with no exceptions for me. do i get teased about wearing my gear from the guys/girls at work, yup i sure do but then again i average approx 15,000 miles a year MORE then any other rider at work. maybe if i only rode in nice weather, when it wasn't too cold or when it isn't raining or didn't put the miles on the bike that i do i might think differant but for me it is ATGATT with no exceptions. the proper gear will save your life, unless it is sitting home in your closet.
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #27
FatMatt
Pumpkinman

Oddometer: 72
Newly ATGATT

...after a winter's worth of watching crash videos on LiveLeak and YouTube, and studying the foresnics of the victim being thrashed, I'm a believer....spent a fair amount of time and money to outfit with comfortable armor on the bet that if it wasn't too much of a oain in the ass, I would wear it....bet appears to be holding...

FYI - the gear I'm wearing regularly now includes Sidi vertigo mega boots, podX knee braces, CTI OTS wrist braces and alpinestar SM-X gloves + various armored mesh / textile or leather jackets/pants and a Shoei lid. Also add good slip-on elbows, kevlar shirt and a Thor rooster deflector when wearing a jersey.

Only ~1 month into the new season, but pretty-much getting used to the ATGATT mode and like it.
FatMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #28
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
ATGATT unless "bicycle speeds"

bicycle speeds is all it takes to get downtown to grab dinner at happy hour.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #29
650VTwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
ATGATT. If you can keep moving swiftly, it isn't THAT hot.
650VTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #30
KTM640Dakar
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,968
LVCAHH Leather Vest Chaps And Half Helmet

It just sounds funny. Because it is.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote