Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #31
Chromer
Not going gentle

Oddometer: 885
My girlfriend just broke 3 toes at parking garage speeds, while ATTGAT -- her boot sole (Diadora something-or-other street boots) rolled under and she hyperextended her toes. Aside from a nice bruise on her thigh, no other damage though.

So now we're ATGATT+motox boots w/ hinged ankles... Much better protection, and I kind of like my feet the way they are -- ski season, and that whole walking thing, you know?

And last year I had a partridge run out of the weeds at the side of the road at the last second and attack my shin at 65-70mph. That really smarted. Well, it hurt the partridge more. When I looked back all I saw was a cloud of swirling feathers. With the motox boots I'm not sure I'd even feel it now...
Chromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #32
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,436
I'll alternate between ATTGATT and MOTGATT depending. I don't have warm-weather overpants, so when it warms up (lately) I'm wearing Arborwear tree-climber's pants with double knees or Draggin Jeans.

Allatime in either my Rallye 2 jacket or a Firstgear perf leather jacket, helmet, gloves, and boots.

M
Old 04-24-2008, 04:26 AM   #33
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Two points:

-I crashed once in ATGATT on a dirt/ice road doing about 35. Bike started to lowside, got traction and decided to high side, sending me flying. I got up with a bloody lip and a sore shoulder, think I cracked it. Now....had I been in something less than ATGATT I would be telling a worse story. I wear what's comfortable, both emotionally and physically. My typical for warm weather local riding is draggin jeans, kili air, and an XD helmet. Warm weather long distance call for the same uppers and over-pants over shorts.

-Second point is about the footwear issue; think about what your feet do. They hold up your fat asses, provide balance, my mother lowsided a tw200 and hurt her ankle listening to my cruiser riding father on how to take a corner on loose dirt. She was down for most of the riding season. Quite frankly, I would rather lose my primary arm, than the mobility in one of my feet. Feet are very complicated body parts and deserve the same protection as your head.
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:17 AM   #34
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Let me tell you from experience, road rash at bicycle speeds is a picnic compared to road rash at motorcycle speeds. I've gone down on a bicycle at 10mph and a motorcycle at 40mph. The bicycle road rash hurt but healed in a couple weeks and left no scars. After the moto crash I had road rash so deep on my foot and knee you could see bone. It took a month to heal and hurt like hell for a week and left scars that are plainly visable to this day 8 years later.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #35
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,786
What, no grisly photos!

It seems there is an ATT thread here every week. Along with the usual preaching there is a photo showing an awful case of road rash.

This thread started off well enough, but it is devolving into the usual "I wear everything I own all the time and you should too" type of preaching. It is nice to see some people admit they don't strictly adhere to the ATT dogma and sometimes just go for a ride and enjoy themselves.

Oh...I'm a real gear whore and I have way more gear than most people. However, once in a while I'll go for a quick ride with most of the gear and jeans.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #36
RickE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedLoyalist
... Feet are very complicated body parts and deserve the same protection as your head.
You've sold me! Where do I get Snell approved helmets for my feet?
Old 04-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #37
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer: 989
Hey Motonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
I look like an astronaut most of the time.

One night after I had just started riding, some punk at a gas station said "Hey Astronaut" to me. But I had earplugs in and wasn't sure who had said it. There were a bunch of punks at the station so I decided to ignore them. I told a friend the story later and they said, "Umm, yeah dude, ya kinda do." She started called me the Motonaut. I few months later my uncle was visiting and said the same thing. I guess that's what a white helmet and a white and grey jacket will get ya. Hence the user title I have. I always wanted to be a astronaut. Guess I'll setttle for the next best thing.
Lochlyn_Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #38
TXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse_Riley
I've gone down on a bicycle at 10mph
Well most of us have fallen down on the pavement running faster than 10 mph.
TXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:34 AM   #39
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXL
Well most of us have fallen down on the pavement running faster than 10 mph.
Yeah, and it hurt too.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:46 AM   #40
Highcountry
Winds up buying the gas

Oddometer: 515
I'm not about to tell anyone else what to do. But I've been down in all the gear and immediately recognized where I'd have been without it.

So yes, ATGATT. Not worth it, IMO, to do otherwise.

Also, thanks to a lens-shaped bruise near my kidney that hurt like hell and took a week to start to go away, CISBATT (camera in side bags, all the time).
Old 04-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #41
RTR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrider999
svs,i like sandals when its really hot.not talking flip flops.LEATHER sandals.im thinking of getting somebody to make me a BOOT type pair like the romans used to wear.nothing like the air blowing though your toes!they can pretty much repair everything but our SKULLS so my opinion is HELMETS are most important.my .02 worth.

Dude for real?????????? Or are you just fishin? Ether way good luck Caesar.

"The point is to just pick up that light saber and chop the crap out of stuff!
RTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #42
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR
Dude for real?????????? Or are you just fishin? Ether way good luck Caesar.
All it takes is a pair of your favorite riding boots, and an exacto knife...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #43
Tugrik
Big Blue Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
MOTGATT here... but mostly because it's the only real option I have.

Finding proper riding gear in my size is somewhere between "extremely hard" and "impossible". I finally got a properly armored riding jacket custom-made for me by the nice ladies at Bates. 3XL helmets are finally easy to find thanks to HJC. Getting boots for Size 14-wides sucks ass, let me tell you... but I did finally get a set of Icons that worked (even if only ankle high). Gloves, luckily, normal 2XLs fit me just fine.

But pants? That's the hard part. Leather, assless chaps, draggin' jeans... nobody will ever make them in my size. I had the Bates ladies make me a set of riding pants to go with the jacket but it's like trying to strap on the lower half of a sherman tank. As a result I do most of my riding in normal bluejeans.

At this point since I'm riding a cruiser (Valkyrie) these days, I might actually get a set of side-clip only chaps made, so at least I have some leather on the lower extremities. It's not real road armor, but it'd be better than just jeans.

I might also get a custom leather jacket made for the short commute to work, since the Bates jacket is more like an IronMan suit than anything else. A normal heavy-leather jacket can at least fit in the saddlebag when I go in to the office, or hang on the cube wall without blocking the whole dang entry.
Tugrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #44
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,635
It's not a compromise for me. It's a discipline.

ALL The Gear ALL The Time

You're either ATGATT or your not.

ATGATT knows no season.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #45
sonic reducer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
just wanted to say that motocross gloves don't cut it on the street. I recently lowsided going about 25 wearing motocross gloves, and really tore up my fingers(evulsions to the knuckles, nothing to stitch). basically the the fingers of the glove rolled to the side where it is made of lycra type material. the flack protection on the front of the fingers did absolutely no good. I'm broke as hell right now so I'm wearing some leather work gloves until i can afford some real ones.
have I ridden without gloves in the past? yes. will I in the future? no. cheap lesson I suppose, could have been worse.