Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2008, 12:11 AM   #46
biggyfries
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
There is no magical combination of gear that will remove all risk of injury. Question--why ride motorcycles (an inherently dangerous activity) if you are preoccupied with safety? I know a guy who acts like he's trying to stifle a gag reflex everytime he sees me riding in sneakers or a t-shirt. He says little, but keeps making faces, rolling eyes, etc. He evangelizes ATTGATT, but in his personal life he's an atheist and digs abortion. Got no time for this dork.

In a recent Motorcyclist magazine there is an interesting old photo of some of my favorite racers on the baddest bikes of the day, (1960's) battling it out in a dirt oval, and they were wearing NO armor at all, lace-up work boots, no gloves, no face protection other than a little half-visor over what looked like a Buco helmet on Cal Rayborn. (yeah, I know he died in a racing accident, don't know the specifics) I started riding in 1964 and didn't even own a helmet til 1972. I've even had a couple of fairly serious wrecks, one where I bunged up my helmet, too. So why do I ride in a t-shirt, no gloves, hell even in shorts sometimes? Because I'm a big boy, capable of assessing my risks and managing them to suit myself accordingly. I don't raise hell with the ATTGATT freaks, and I would ask them to avert their eyes in silence if my riding gear (or lack of) makes them squeamish.

Whew! Actually, I recommend protective equipment, but reserve the right to make my own decisions about it.

Oooh, I feel better!
biggyfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #47
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyfries
There is no magical combination of gear that will remove all risk of injury. Question--why ride motorcycles (an inherently dangerous activity) if you are preoccupied with safety? I know a guy who acts like he's trying to stifle a gag reflex everytime he sees me riding in sneakers or a t-shirt. He says little, but keeps making faces, rolling eyes, etc. He evangelizes ATTGATT, but in his personal life he's an atheist and digs abortion. Got no time for this dork.

In a recent Motorcyclist magazine there is an interesting old photo of some of my favorite racers on the baddest bikes of the day, (1960's) battling it out in a dirt oval, and they were wearing NO armor at all, lace-up work boots, no gloves, no face protection other than a little half-visor over what looked like a Buco helmet on Cal Rayborn. (yeah, I know he died in a racing accident, don't know the specifics) I started riding in 1964 and didn't even own a helmet til 1972. I've even had a couple of fairly serious wrecks, one where I bunged up my helmet, too. So why do I ride in a t-shirt, no gloves, hell even in shorts sometimes? Because I'm a big boy, capable of assessing my risks and managing them to suit myself accordingly. I don't raise hell with the ATTGATT freaks, and I would ask them to avert their eyes in silence if my riding gear (or lack of) makes them squeamish.

Whew! Actually, I recommend protective equipment, but reserve the right to make my own decisions about it.

Oooh, I feel better!
Right On!!! I'm glad to see MOTTers and SOTTers speaking out.

What some ATT fanatics don't seem to realize is that THEY are the one-percenters of motorcycling, not the guy riding in a T-shirt on a hot day. And so many of them have a holier than thou attitude. On another site an ATT guy said he wouldn't ride with someone unless he had all the gear. Gimme a break!

Absolutist rhetoric like "All the time," "Always," "No excuses" and "Never" is pretty annoying to me. I should exclaim, "MOST of the gear MOST of the time! NO excuses!"

Now I feel better, too.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #48
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrider999
svs,i like sandals when its really hot.not talking flip flops.LEATHER sandals.im thinking of getting somebody to make me a BOOT type pair like the romans used to wear.nothing like the air blowing though your toes!they can pretty much repair everything but our SKULLS so my opinion is HELMETS are most important.my .02 worth.

Helmets, then boots.

$70K on my left leg just for the surgery & I still walk like Igor.

Sandals will work fine, there will be nothing left to repair.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #49
Chimone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
my Wee is my only vehicle. The wife has a Honda Accord, but I still prefer to ride. Im MOTGMOTT. But there are those cool evenings where Ill take off in jeans and a tshirt. Why you ask? Why take the risk? Because I can( the law says no helmet if I dont want), and because sometimes I want the wind in my hair.

I had one guy pull the ATGATT shit on me because he had a Wee, and for some reason he felt he needed to correct me for not wearing my gear. I then explained to him that since he was so concerned about being safe, then why he would talk down to and judge someone who was twice his size. I really didnt see how he was playing it safe by doing that. He then saw things my way and rode off to bother someone else.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #50
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,115
Its a rare day when I ride in jeans, but it has happened. After 35 yrs of riding, I long ago gave up proselytizing to the t-shirt crowd. If you are comfortable with the risks and outcomes, far be it from me to protect your gene pool.

For me, its not my skills that I am worried about on the road - its the other guy's. There is just no way for me to quantify when granny is going to left turn me.

FWIW I think its goofy argument that since m/c riding is inherently dangerous we shouldn't be concerned with safety. But hey, it's your head and I probably won't miss you when you are gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyfries

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #51
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,956
Helmet, boots, and gloves 99% of the time. But what do I know I am a smoker and that surgeon general guys has been warning for years! lol

I have heard of people claiming they wont ride with someone unless they are ATGATT but havent had it come up yet personally. I will have a hard time with that one. If you feel that my lack of extra safety equipment is somehow going to jinks you during the ride you are nuts. In fact even if I WERE to jinks you and somehow made you biff, wouldnt you feel comfortable knowing that you have the new annilator 3000 kevlar jacket with front and side air impact bags on? I wear what I want when I want. I also believe it is my perogitive to strike somebody. Yep. um hum. I have a huge tolerence for bullshit, but once in a great moon, some people just need a quick jab to the old pie hole. Yea, call me a hillbilly, or a thug, but I am not. I hate people that think it is OK to critisize, talk down, offend, and treat like shit without regard. I smile and punch. Sue me

Edit, Ok I am not that bad, but I sure felt better bitching on here last night then to take it out on people I do like, lol!

Whitey1 screwed with this post 04-30-2008 at 05:36 PM
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #52
michelf
motorcyclist

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
my Wee is my only vehicle. The wife has a Honda Accord, but I still prefer to ride. Im MOTGMOTT. But there are those cool evenings where Ill take off in jeans and a tshirt. Why you ask? Why take the risk? Because I can( the law says no helmet if I dont want), and because sometimes I want the wind in my hair.

I had one guy pull the ATGATT shit on me because he had a Wee, and for some reason he felt he needed to correct me for not wearing my gear. I then explained to him that since he was so concerned about being safe, then why he would talk down to and judge someone who was twice his size. I really didnt see how he was playing it safe by doing that. He then saw things my way and rode off to bother someone else.
Priceless
michelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #53
TXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1
I have heard of people claiming they wont ride with someone unless they are ATGATT but havent had it come up yet personally.

My atgatt neighbor says he doesn't like to ride with non atgatt's, not because of their riding skills, but because it makes him feel uncomfortably self-conscious.
TXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #54
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 9,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXL
My atgatt neighbor says he doesn't like to ride with non atgatt's, not because of their riding skills, but because it makes him feel uncomfortably self-conscious.
What? That sounds like a closet queer at a gay bar. "...Um ..I am uncomfortable here". Bullshit! Bullshit! Bullshit! If you was you sure the hell wouldn't have been there! I'm out.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #55
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Most of the Gear all the time.

Helmet, jacket, jeans, gloves, and boots at a minimum. I wear my Roadcrafter with full armor a lot during the cooler months. I wear a Vanson perforated jacket with full armor during the hot months. The rest of the time, I like my Vanson Manx. No armor, but at least it has double leather at the elbows. I've crashed in it once and it performed very well. I realize that jeans don't provide a lot of protection for my legs, but in three different accidents, I've only gotten minor road rash on my knees. I had to endure several days of gooey gross knees and my left knee has a large permanent red spot. Big deal.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #56
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXL
I've ridden with cruiser guys who had no riding gear. It doesn't bother me to be the smart person in the group.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #57
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 585
Texas has a pretty good helmet law - if you don't have health insurance, you gotta wear a helmet - so you're less likely to spend the rest of your life in a nursing home with a brain injury on the taxpayer's nickel. Other than that I don't care who wears what, except for those who whine about motorcycle awareness like they expect the cagers to be responsible for their safety but won't wear the gear.

For me , trying to go ATGATT is a personal choice - just between me and my skin - and I'm happy to ride with anybody. I started riding in June '05 after taking 30yrs off. Since June '05 I've clocked 44,000 miles with only one minor get-off. I was fully geared up at the time and was able to get up and ride another 250 miles home.

ATGATT is easy in cold weather, last summer my goal was to never ride with the armored mesh jacket, which I did. This summer my (personal) goal is to always wear the knee & hip armor too. I commute most days and in winter I'm already in the habbit of changing out of my gear when I get to work. So there's no reason why I can't do it all year.

I'm also looking for some hot weather boots with good protection. Any suggestions?
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #58
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN PHENIX
Texas has a pretty good helmet law - if you don't have health insurance, you gotta wear a helmet - so you're less likely to spend the rest of your life in a nursing home with a brain injury on the taxpayer's nickel.
That's debatable. Most helmetless riders who hit their heads get a cheap ride to the morgue or to the hospital to have their organs removed. On average, motorcyclists are more likely to have insurance than car drivers. I don't like being labeled as a potential burden to society.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #59
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,789
And here's another opinion of mine: I think some of us have pretty high expectations of our riding gear. I see a lot of posts about how ATT saved somebody in an accident--OK. But, if you get T-boned by a Chevy Subdivision at speed, your Roadcrafter will simply be a handy body bag. Yes, the more gear you wear, the more skin you'll save, but there are limits.

Again, I say know the risks and wear what you feel comfortable wearing that day.

Notwithstanding my sig line, I've decided that I'm an ATTMOTT guy, but that category wasn't listed by the OP.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #60
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 465
im MOTGMOTT, but that depends on the bike and where am i going. sometimes i'll take the bike for quick hop to the store. helmet, thats it, top ridings speed-25mph. but if i ride a liter sport bike-everything on, occ. i'll ride in jeans, but otherwise all on. i feel like i am disrespecting the bike by going wind-in-hair around something that power wheelies at any speed. not to mention i really dont want to look like chrome gixxer gang member in a wifebeater. also it could depend on the location- i could put around in a t-shirt in costa rica, but not on auto bahn.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote