Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #61
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B
And here's another opinion of mine: I think some of us have pretty high expectations of our riding gear. I see a lot of posts about how ATT saved somebody in an accident--OK. But, if you get T-boned by a Chevy Subdivision at speed, your Roadcrafter will simply be a handy body bag. Yes, the more gear you wear, the more skin you'll save, but there are limits.

Again, I say know the risks and wear what you feel comfortable wearing that day.

Notwithstanding my sig line, I've decided that I'm an ATTMOTT guy, but that category wasn't listed by the OP.
Agreed. I've heard the saying that expensive helmets are best at making sure you can be identified after a crash. ha ha

Everyone should know the risk, gear or not. That's why I waited to start riding again until my youngest son old enough to know everything and confinced he didn't need me anymore. LOL

If wearing the gear can shorten my recovery time or increase my chance of survival by even 10% then it's worth it.
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #62
cakmakli
Made It - Army Retired

Oddometer: 328
I'm MOTGMOTT. I find it odd that people that don't even know you would try and tell you what to wear. If I had all of my gear on, I wouldn't care if someone pulled up beside of me wearing only a thong. Live and let live. If you crash then it's on you.

Those that try to push the ATGATT agenda are no different then those that push for helmet laws or try to limit or ban motorcycle riding. If something it isn't for you, then don't do it but don't try to tell others what to do.
cakmakli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #63
Highcountry
Winds up buying the gas

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
I've ridden with cruiser guys who had no riding gear. It doesn't bother me to be the smart person in the group.
Indeed. Someone needs to call the paramedics.

To each his own. But the idea that gear only prevents skin rash and won't help you in bigger crashes goes against years of accident scenes I've been to.

There are crashes where gear won't matter. I believe there are far more where it will make the difference, life/death, or walking/wheelchair, or skin grafts/bruises.

Again, to each his own.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #64
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B
And here's another opinion of mine: I think some of us have pretty high expectations of our riding gear. I see a lot of posts about how ATT saved somebody in an accident--OK. But, if you get T-boned by a Chevy Subdivision at speed, your Roadcrafter will simply be a handy body bag. Yes, the more gear you wear, the more skin you'll save, but there are limits.

Again, I say know the risks and wear what you feel comfortable wearing that day.

Notwithstanding my sig line, I've decided that I'm an ATTMOTT guy, but that category wasn't listed by the OP.
A big +1 on those sentiments

I find it morbidly amusing how some of the ATGATT zealots talk like they actually think that their 'stitch is going to save their bacon if they get tboned by a 6000 pound SUV. Ain't gonna happen.

I don't care what anyone wears or does not wear when they ride and I would never preach to another rider about their lack of gear. For a serious day of riding, I wear ATGATT, although my riding pants are usually draggin' jeans with the CE armor in the knees. I also often ride 1 mile down the quiet 35 mph residential street between my home and the ex's to go visit my kid and dog, while wearing a helmet, tshirt, shorts and sneakers in the summer. It's a risk I am willing to take for the mile I need to go.

The best piece of safety equipment is one's brain.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #65
Wild Will
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
First I was a cop for 10 years now I work as a Medivac pilot. I have seen LOTS of moto crashes.

I ride year round in New Mexico with All the Gear!

I can replace kevlar easier than I can regrow skin.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:06 PM   #66
HiTechRedneck
Big Ruckin'

Oddometer: 1,405
MOTGATT, definitely. Helmet, gloves, armored jacket, boots. Without fail, every single time. Though I do ride in regular ol' jeans in good weather, armored overpants only if it's cold. Which reminds me...I need to get some mesh riding pants...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Whatever you say, Socrates.
HiTechRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #67
Wild Will
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs
Most of the Gear all the time.

or:

All the Gear all the time.

I have three pairs of Kevlar lined jeans and find when I compromise on full gear I ride with the Jeans. I also got a Draggin Kevlar Shirt as my compromise if I get the urge to ride without a Jacket. Tried the shirt out a cpl weeks ago when we were at 100 degrees and it was awesome. I even have elbow and shoulder armor for it.

What say you?
I can buy kevlar easlier than I can re grow skin.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #68
Ridedit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
MOTGMOTT for me. I live in LA and the summers are HOT! I always wear armoured jacket, full face helmet, gloves and boots. I just picked up some kevlar lined jeans and Icon field armor knee/shin pads so we'll see how that goes. so far though regular jeans for me unless it's cold, I'm going far (hwy) or offroad then my armored pants go on.
Ridedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #69
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
That's debatable. Most helmetless riders who hit their heads get a cheap ride to the morgue or to the hospital to have their organs removed. On average, motorcyclists are more likely to have insurance than car drivers. I don't like being labeled as a potential burden to society.
Yup. Dying young saves health care costs.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle.../15293006.html
xKLR_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #70
Antifederalist
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridedit
I just picked up some kevlar lined jeans and Icon field armor knee/shin pads so we'll see how that goes.

I was thinking about picking up those field armor knee/shin guards, but was turned off a bit by the fact that they aren't CE rated. I figure if I'm going to take the time to put those on, I might as well just wear real armored pants with hip/thigh protection and CE armor.
Antifederalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #71
weedude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Attgatt

I can remember driving my car in the '70's without a seat belt, before seat belt laws were commonplace. Once the seat belt laws were in place, I bitched about not having the "freedom" to move around while behind the wheel.
Now that I wear a seat belt ATT, it feels strange not to wear one when driving.

I wear Motoport mesh ATGATT, and would prolly feel uncomfortable without it.

I did the shorts, sandals, and T-shirts on my dirt bike in the '60's. Had not been aware of ATTGATT back then, nor could I have afforded the gear!
Old 05-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #72
TXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedude
I can remember driving my car in the '70's without a seat belt, before seat belt laws were commonplace. Once the seat belt laws were in place, I bitched about not having the "freedom" to move around while behind the wheel.
Well if ATGATT was as fast to put on (and remove) as a seatbelt, and it was as comfortable to wear in 95 degree weather as a seatbelt, there wouldn't be a thread.
TXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #73
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Will
my latest quote!
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #74
JoshDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
i'm getting closer and closer to riding atgatt. right now its helmet, gloves, boots all the time. getting a few jackets so i'll always have a jacket for all conditions.

only thing keeping me from true atgatt is the pants, thats the one thing that makes me feel like a power ranger.

what sucks is i want to get a revit setup with the cayenne jacket/dakar pants, but its hard getting to that point of looking like a complete dork. i'll probably be there by the end of this season though.
JoshDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #75
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Will
First I was a cop for 10 years now I work as a Medivac pilot. I have seen LOTS of moto crashes.

I ride year round in New Mexico with All the Gear!

+1 ; Ask any emergency responder and they will agree; Most accidents occur within a 2 mile radius of your home... I, too have responded to many M/C accidents and the low speed, low impact are seveve if not wearing a minimum of Helmet, Jacket, Jeans and gloves... I assume you are all adults who can process what happens to human skin and bones grinding on asphalt; need one say more?
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote