Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 12:59 AM   #31
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAlazzurra View Post
There is a strange enjoyment that comes from riding such a tiny bike and staying entirely on tiny back roads. I may take a week long trip with this little smokey and make a ride report--with pictures this time.
Sweet!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #32
colemanapp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
WHAT, another KE rider in St. Louis area? I haven't taken mine on any kind of trip like that but I just a surgery that will limit me to street/gravel and the little KE is right on for that. Here's one ride from out in Warren Co on some gravel. I've got mine geared up a little so 50 is no problem, unless hills or headwind. Next semi-warm day, I'm taking a little road trip on it like yours, Maybe half of yours. Fun bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHHKc_7utXc
colemanapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #33
Mikef5000 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Whoa!

Hey! I started this thread 3 and a half years ago when I was first looking for a dual sport! Interesting that it's still going! I didn't end up actually getting my first dual sport until last week; a wrr that I've had WAY too much fun on already!

Now this dang thread has me thinking about this little guy again. It'd be a perfect 'first bike' for the girlfriend wouldn't it..... And they can be had so cheap!

Hm.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #34
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

Oddometer: 226
They're everywhere it seems

[QUOTE=colemanapp;17557850]WHAT, another KE rider in St. Louis area?

Since getting the KE100 I've been noticing them all over. The guy who runs the Kawasaki shop nearest my home uses one as his daily ride to work. He has his choice of bikes, but the KE100 is cheap and fun. I also own a 50 cc Honda Express that does not exist in the sense that no license plate is required. I seldom ride it because it is too slow for traffic and can't climb a hill. I'll never sell it since it does not exist and I like having some form of transport that is not titled or registered. The KE100 is about the smallest thing you can ride that is actually practical. A small 4 stroke like the DR200 will probably get a bit better fuel economy, but tires, piston rings and all are very cheap for the KE100. I wish that engine size limit of 50 cc was raised to 100 cc so that the KE100 did not exist either... I'm paranoid and since I don't have any gold or guns for the government to confiscate I figure they will be after my motorcycles--just kidding... mostly.
RayAlazzurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #35
dirtrider5001
whatever

Oddometer: 50
I love mine

a cuple weeks ago i drove from ohio to wisconsic to pick one up, a 99 ke100. They are NOT as common as they SHOULD be. What a great machine. I bought mine cause i needed something portable to put on my boat. I read all kinds of stupid reviews on the internet saying it was slow, clunky shifting, ect. Well i see why they all said that( they didnt know how to work on a 2 stroke). The bike had some issues when i got it It ran kinda shitty so the first thing i did was tear into the carb, Still bike ran like shit and sure enough i put my hand back down by the cylinder and this time i felt the compression leak. the base gasket was leaking. So i ended up making a gasket myself, cleaned the surfaces yada yada put it all back together and it ran much better. Still though it seemed like the bike was way too lean in the bottom end. I put a larger pilot jet in it and It is much much better now. But bike still seemed like it was choked up a little bike. I thought the kid removed the baffle as the end cap was missing but i removed the larger portion of the rear of the exhaust only to find the packing was horrible and most of the holes were clogged. I unclogged the holes and put more packing in and everything was much better, When doing so i noticed a piece of metal welded right in the middle of the exhaust baffle. It litterly blocked all the air from getting out of the exhaust. The piece of metal looked like it was made to be removed. I ended up removing it, then repacked it. Now this thing is really fast. One day i will take it to the dyno. I bought a clymer book online for the old kawasakis. it has a performace section in it. The old 1970 kawasaki centurion 100cc came with 18 horse power. Im not gonna get that crazy but the manual tells exactly how to modify rotary for a little more power. I dont need it anyways as this bike is fast now! Either way i love this bike 50-55 absolutly no problem, will probably cruise at 60 now. Its cold as hell here so havent got to ride it much. Only shame is that this bike isnt made anymore. It litterly feels like ur riding a moped except its actually fun to drive. puts a smile on my face everytime.
dirtrider5001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #36
solorider40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm hoping to find some information. I have a 2001 KE-100 that I picked up for my daughter to ride. She has since found that driving a car is more fun for her. However, my oldest son is wanting to start riding motorcycles and I thought this would be a good starter bike for him. But I need a luggage rack. Anyone know where I can get one?
CMA#112674
AMA#1080306
2008 KLR650E
2001 KE100 (daughters bike)
1983 IT250
solorider40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #37
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 144
Brings back fond memories. My first bike, about 1973, was a street model. I threw on knobbies, tilted the exhaust, took off the front fender- and voila - had a perfect woods bike (at least for me at the time). Used to burn out the piston and do a top end for about $25. And man- was I ever cool!!

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #38
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by solorider40 View Post
But I need a luggage rack. Anyone know where I can get one?
For panniers? I don't think you need a luggage rack. The rear shocks offer lateral support. All you need is to bend a little piece of metal to act as an extra heat shield for the exhaust. Super easy.

I cut and bent a piece of an old construction road sign. Just used one attachment point - the shock mount on left side. Then put on some panniers that I picked up for $30. I modded some $12 ATV tank panniers and put on a Wolfman enduro tank bag. Also used a piece of 3" ABS for a tool tube. I cut some small holes in the skid plate and used large hose clamps to attach it.
It turned out to be a really cool little adv bike.

They're a bit short on range though.

I'm in the process of building a modern version. I'm starting with a KLX140L chassis. (the big wheel version)
ATC350X
550MXC

dirtydeeds screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 08:31 PM
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #39
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I rented one to take my practical test on...

It was so easy to ride. I'd never ridden it. The guy from the shop rolls it off the truck and says," Here you go." I asked him how old it was, he said almost new. Huh? It looks ancient. He said it was old school. I went and took the test, rode it back to the guy, done. Best $40 I ever spent! Licensed 23 years ago. Really old school now.
Those things only changed color it seems.
The other guy taking the test that day had a big cruiser. I think he passed the next time on the little bike!
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #40
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
dirtydeeds- "They're a bit short on range though.

I'm in the process of building a modern version. I'm starting with a KLX140L chassis. (the big wheel version)"

What's up with that? You just got the 140, were you dissapointed with it or did you get a blown up one just to stick the KE motor into? I love our 140 & can't imagine the 100 being superior to that torquey little 140.

You asked earlier if a CRF 230 can be lowered. Deffinately YES. I'm not sure what it involves but, I hooked up with a trio of riders at the 2012 fall trail ride at Loretta Lynns & the guys wife was on one. I thought it was a CRF 150 as it was only an inch taller than my daughters KLX 140. I was shocked to see that it was the CRF 230. If I had known then that you were interested, I'd have gotten details on the lowering info. I know that's not much help but, her 230 was literally only an inch taller when parked side by side with the 140.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #41
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,483
Sorry for the confusion.
We still have the KE and the KLX.
The suspension, brakes and fuel range of the KLX are a nice upgrade. It is just shy of a few lights. I mentioned in another thread that I put on a light kit and have a 12l KTM gas tank and a Husky 510 gas tank laying around. When I'm back home again, I'll see what I can do regarding increasing the KLX range.

I imagine we'll have the 140 for awhile. Between the big bore kits and KX100 suspension upgrades, the bike has potential to grow. I should check the other forums to see how that 180 kit works in the real world.

The better 1/2 did test ride a 230. She did not like it so much.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #42
Mendodave
Road Scholar

Oddometer: 864
I have a 1980 for sale

It is just sitting.

less than 5k miles, great shape, no rips, tears, or cracks

Somebody buy this poor thing...$500?

Mendo
Mendodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #43
Zaugg
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Cool2 Good beginner bike

I have a ke100 1999 paid 650 for it had to rebuild it my self. Thank god 2 strokes are easy, great bike for beginners and kids. Or just intown use. Doesn't heat up to much with constant stop and go. Bit bouncy. Specially up hill lol
I actually just got hit by a car and can't ride it for a bit but what was shocking was that the only damage to the bike was a bent tail light, considering it slid a few feet while I was in the air I'm very impressed. Even the paint jobs tough lol
Don't pay more than 800 for it though cu high chance you will be fixing it up on your own. For 800 you could get something bigger and better. Either way fun bike for beginners easy to tune up learn how to rebuild it and parts are cheap. Except for the headlight that's 51 bucks. I was like wtf? Lol
Zaugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #44
Bipolar Roller
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Bluhduh just got one

Hey every one Im new to this so i hope this is right I can post pics tomorrow but untill then I have a 76 ke100 everything except the tires are original and they maybe as well I even have the tool kit this bike has just over 3200 miles on it when i got it the headlight worked and the brake light no taillight and no blinkers can you help the horn works and it runns awsome it does 50 mph tops but thats okay
Bipolar Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #45
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 941
I've got an '82 in excellent condition... just turned 900 miles last weekend. The thing is a blast to ride.
JustRon is offline   Reply With Quote