User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2002, 06:25 AM   #1
DakotaDakar OP
Soil Sampler

Oddometer: 409
Question Tire advice?

Sorry if this is a lame old subject, but I have browsed around a bit and can't find any threads where people argue the merits of tires. (That's one of those topics that you do not bring up in polite conversation: Religion, politics and tires.)

BUT my Dakar's stock Michelin Sirac tires are a little too mild-mannered. I want something more dirt oriented. Not for chugging through deep mud or sand whoops, but fast-paced gravel, fire roads, two-track, mild trails... while still retaining some highway poise and acceptable life. (I'm not asking for much, am I?)

What's the advice here? Any input on a couple I have looked at:
-Metz Sahara?
-Conti TKC-80?

What is the new Conti that they use on the GS Adventure?

What do you serious rally guys use? DHP, Jinx, any wisdom?

Thanks...DakDak
outside in the cold distance * a wildcat did growl * two riders were approaching * and the wind begin to howl
DakotaDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 09:56 AM   #2
Scotty
Adventurer X

Oddometer: 236
Hey man, my 01 Dakar came with the Saharas and they where fine "on road" but as soon as you got to the loose stuff " they felt alot like running on a tread mill thats made out of banana peels"'
I have been runnin TKC 80's for around 1800 mi. now and love them!!! Dirt and gravel roads, mud, sand, rock?? No Prob!!!
On the road they are fine as well although they take some getting used to as far as cornering goes........
As far as the wear?? Mine are starting to show some wear but I would think that "on road" wear is gonna somewhat be determined by how you ride "on road"!!
Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Scotty
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 12:17 PM   #3
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,198
check the Kenda Trackmaster 2 thread
Old 05-05-2002, 07:33 PM   #4
four-up
Distracted

Oddometer: 330
TKC80s are great off-road, and handle the pavement well, however, they do wear! If you can get 2500 miles, you're doing well. Bridgestone Trailwings are much less agressive, but wear well and handle mild off-road a bit better than the Tourance, IMO. I've also done a set of Mich T66's on an F and got over 6K out of them, though they were sloppy in anything sandy or soft. The only other tire I've used is Dunlop, and though patterned after the Trailwing and Tourance, they wore odd after a 1000 miles and were weird in the corners.
four-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 08:54 PM   #5
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
I just don't see how the TKC80's are viable all-round tires. You pretty much need two sets of rims. But when do you swap 'em? What if you need to slab 1000 miles to get to where you want to use 'em?
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 09:06 PM   #6
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally posted by fish
I just don't see how the TKC80's are viable all-round tires. You pretty much need two sets of rims. But when do you swap 'em? What if you need to slab 1000 miles to get to where you want to use 'em?
If you need to slab 1000 miles to get there, use the street oriented tread on the way and pick up the knobs at a shop nearer to your destination.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:11 PM   #7
fish
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by RedMenace

If you need to slab 1000 miles to get there, use the street oriented tread on the way and pick up the knobs at a shop nearer to your destination.
Same rims? Leave your tourances at the shop, pay to have the swapped for the TKC's, then when you're done in the dirt, go back and pay to have them swap back for the tourances, then have the TKC's shipped back home?
Old 05-05-2002, 09:18 PM   #8
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally posted by fish

Same rims? Leave your tourances at the shop, pay to have the swapped for the TKC's, then when you're done in the dirt, go back and pay to have them swap back for the tourances, then have the TKC's shipped back home?
Yeah. 'Course with the sidecar, what I've done is strapped the extra tires to the deck and taken them with me. Who was it that was poken fun at all the shit I'd packed in the picture I posted after I did the Rat Dog? Don't remember now, but thats the reason why.
If you order or buy the knobs at the shop they should cut you a deal, maybe change em for free. Shipping the extras home is still going to be cheaper than ruining a new pair of Contis on the slab and perhaps the price for having a decent tire in the dirt?

RedMenace screwed with this post 05-05-2002 at 10:51 PM
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 10:22 PM   #9
fish
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorbak

Come on, fish. Be creative. Ship the 2nd set of rims with knobbies to yer destination. Arrive via slab using street tires. Swap em out. Ride yer ass off with the knobbies. Before you leave, swap out for the street tires. Then ship the knobbies/rims home again.
Is that what you do?
Old 05-05-2002, 11:19 PM   #10
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Attached Images

Old 05-05-2002, 11:25 PM   #11
fish
Banned

redmenace, that rig totally rocks.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:00 AM   #12
DakotaDakar OP
Soil Sampler

Not practical...

I'm afraid the two-sets-of-wheels strategy sounds like a perfect solution, but it's not practical for me. Has anyone actually DONE this? Hate to think what the cost is. You could probably chew through a lot of TKC-80s before reaching the break-even point on the initial investment.

And for some of the long-distance work I have in mind, there is no convenient place to ship them for changing. (Hell, you get halfway out into western South Dakota and it's hard enough to find GAS, let alone someone to ship a set of wheels or tires to.) And I've changed enough dirt bike tires to know that I DO NOT want to do that job any more than I absolutely have to.

But...I fear I am in a bind. I have two distinct types of riding I want to do with this Dakar, and maybe no single tire will satisfy both:

DAY TRIP: The "trailhead" where I can pick up the first gravel road is about a mile from my driveway. From there, my riding is 90% gravel or dirt -- maybe just a mile of tar here and there to link up the route. For this, something like a TKC-80 might be ideal.

LONG TRIP: Trips that will involve 500 to 800 miles of highway getting to and from remote areas. Gravel and fire-road riding at the destination.

I think what I want is something that is a little more aggressive than the Sirac, but not the full-tilt, fast-wearing knobs like the TKC-80. Is there such a thing? Is the Sahara any more toothy than the Sirac?
outside in the cold distance * a wildcat did growl * two riders were approaching * and the wind begin to howl
Old 05-07-2002, 05:50 AM   #13
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Re: Not practical...

Quote:
Originally posted by DakotaDakar

But...I fear I am in a bind. I have two distinct types of riding I want to do with this Dakar, and maybe no single tire will satisfy both:

DAY TRIP: The "trailhead" where I can pick up the first gravel road is about a mile from my driveway. From there, my riding is 90% gravel or dirt -- maybe just a mile of tar here and there to link up the route. For this, something like a TKC-80 might be ideal.

LONG TRIP: Trips that will involve 500 to 800 miles of highway getting to and from remote areas. Gravel and fire-road riding at the destination.

I think what I want is something that is a little more aggressive than the Sirac, but not the full-tilt, fast-wearing knobs like the TKC-80. Is there such a thing? Is the Sahara any more toothy than the Sirac?
I don't know if there is a good compromise tire. You might look for a cheaper DOT dirt tire; try it and see if it works for you. I suggest Kenda from Chaparrall or one of the other discount mc distributors- the K270 and Trackmasters come up on sale for under $50 or there about. They can wear out twice as fast as the $100 dualsport treads and you still break even. You should be able to do your long trip on them, just figure on replacing them sooner. I like em. You can do some pavement runs with them. They do wear out quicker than the street oriented treads, but, while they last, they are a blast in the gravel and dirt. THe real question, to me, would be do they provide you with a safe and confident ride on the pavement. You'd need to try them yourself to answer that.
If you do find a good compromise tire let me know!
Old 05-07-2002, 06:49 AM   #14
Grt Wht
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I'm not the most experienced rider on dirt or road, but I have gone through 3 sets of tires in the past year and a half on my Dakar. I didn't get off road with my Stock Metz Sahara's much. I took my T66's on many miles of dirt roads, fire roads, and also a little on some trails. NOT real confidence inspiring. My current set is Dunlop 604 Trailmax. The seem to have alot better grip. Can ride faster on the fire roads with the 604's and have more control.

P.S. I have 4500 miles of mostly road time and they show very little wear. My Sahar's rear was gone at 5000, the T66 lasted 8000.

P.P.S. DakotaDakar if you wan to you can come down and try out the Dunlops I'm in south MS.

JMHO
05' SV1000S (On the Mainland)
03' K1200RS
05' K1200S
"Arguing on the internet is like wining the special olympics, in the end you are still a retard" -Guzzler
Grt Wht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 08:02 AM   #15
DakotaDakar OP
Soil Sampler

Quote:
Originally posted by Grt Wht
P.P.S. DakotaDakar if you wan to you can come down and try out the Dunlops I'm in south MS.
Hey thanks, I'll be right over. You gonna be around this afternoon? Let's see ... South Dakota to southern Mississippi ... maybe it won't be till after supper. ;-)