Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #16
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,941
I have the Airglide from a couple of years ago (2006-silver) and really like it.

I have run into a good problem - my personal training since November has helped me to drop about 15lbs so now my suit is too big and I will be needing to purchase another. I have to tell you that I really like getting maximum airflow with as much quality protection as I can get my hands on. It gets pretty warm and HUMID in Kentucky.

I'm open to any type of new suit and have been checking out as many as I can. I even tried on the Rallye 2 (my GOD that is a heavy sucker...a great fit, beautitful coat, but must be 20 freaking pounds and no way it lets in as much air as my Olympia.)

This Olympia GT Transition is tempting because the mornings can be a little nippy in my current AirGlide setup. Not sure it will give me as much air flow as my current suit. I also wrestle with how to go for rain protection. Use the zip in - zip out method Olympia uses or get a better fitting suit and throw rain gear on over it.

Anyone added the Olympia Recon 2 Mesh Tech Transformer Jacket in their list of considerations??? It appears to be well vented AND allow you to zip off the sleaves and turn the pants into shorts. I have a two week trip planned in July heading from Kentucky to Yellowstone and I need a flexible suit.

Here is the Recon.
http://www.olympiamotosports.com/rec...ransformer.htm
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #17
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead
That last post was at 4 in the morning.. I was tired.. You got me..

Rest up Adventure Rider.
Lochlyn_Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #18
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,534
+1
Bought the hi vis yellow about April 1st. I have had it out on a 40 degree day and stayed plenty warm. Used it on a 82 degree day with just the outer shell and all of the vents open, and stayed plenty cool.

I agree on the flaps feeling bulky when open and tucked in. I have tried rolling them and folding them and not sure what I'll do to make them feel less noticeable.

Best part of jacket, I like how snug I can make the elbows and waist.

Bought the matching pants today and hope I like them as well. They have a zipper in back to zip to the inside of the back of the jacket as well.

Have not had them out for a test ride yet.

FYI for fitment. I am 6'4" 248 lbs - Jacket in XL fits nice and snug, rides on waist, arms plenty of length (36" dress shirt length)

Pants - bought size 40 waist and can confortably wear them with the liner, over blue jeans. Length good - wear a 35-36" inseam jean.
atokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #19
ctbandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_tfl
I've not compared it to the AST as far as protection.
I belive this jacket will be good year round in California. I look at the AST as something I will probably purchase for Winter and any North West Area Trips I make.

Stu.
Any extended use thoughts, anything come up or change in your opinions? I'm prob going with this jacket, or the Rev it airforce. Although I'm told the airforce as it is today is out and there will be a new model, not sure if under the same name or not.
ctbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #20
craig007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I have this jacket and like it a lot from up to about 80 degrees. In the mornings, I need to wear a jacket over business casual attire. If the temp is in the upper 70's this jacket is a little too hot. On the way home wear the jacket over a tee shirt. It is comfortable till the temp reaches the mid 80's. I would say that this is a great late spring/ early fall jacket.

I think its main problem is that there is not enough venting in the sleeves. It is nice when you are out later and it cools off, so without the liner it has a high 50's to low 80's comfortable temp range.

As the temp is in the mid 70's in the morning and upper 80's in the afternoon, my GT Air is in the closet and my TM Venture is what I'm wearing.

I compared several jackets here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351679
craig007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #21
ctbandit
Adventurer

My review of the GT Air Transition jacket after approx 5 months of use, around 4,000 miles.

Note: To date I've not worn it in the rain without a rain jacket over it, so I can't comment on its rainproof qualities.

Thus far, I've been very satisfied with this jacket. The only thing that I didn't like was the price, $270. However, I took into consideration the versatility of this jacket and I bit the bullet. Thus far I feel it was totally worth it.

This year alone I went through 4 different jackets trying to find a versatile, all weather, protective textile solution. What I finally came to for selections were this jacket, the Rev'it Ignition or Airforce jackets, or the motoport gear. My final decision was based on the the fit(excluding motoport of course), finish(materials used), and what I deemed most verstaile.

In the end I chose the GT Air jacket for its all around appeal. Although I like the airglide, the protection offered by the GT air seemed quite a bit more substantial, and it seemed like It would work better in cooler conditions. To date I've ridden in temps from 90F down to 20F(albeit with some smart layering underneath, but no electrics!).

This jacket truley is an extremely versatile solution. The mesh panels and huge arm vents let in a LOT of air, and as long as you're moving it will keep you content in the hot summer. I admit I was still warm with this jacket in the summer, but prior to the GT I owned a Intake Air from Tourmaster, and the air movement was close in comparison, so it won't get much cooler with another jacket.

My biggest grips thus far are the collar on the neck, which in hot weather can be a bit irritating, but in cool weather is great. And the position of the lower pockets, which are on the sides of the jacket. It makes using these pockets a bit awkward, but I've come to terms with it, I usually throw stuff in my tank bag anyway.

I will be doing a full review on my blog soon with photos and details, and I'll update this thread when I'm done. I've got no test experience with its safety (knock on wood), but I'm completely confident that it would hold up.

Side note2: This jack zips up to my Rev'It "Zip" pants with no alterations.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer: 989
While recently looking through some reviews of the jacket, I came across this thread:

Olympia GT Air All Seasons Transition Jacket - www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Post #4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman
adventureriders there is a thread from a guy who crashed wearin one.. bottom line is wear a longsleeved T shirt underneath.. his melted into his arms and had to be scrubbed off.

okaaaayyy.... got a link?

Anyone know who this was?

Lochlyn_Deckard screwed with this post 01-22-2009 at 12:45 PM
Lochlyn_Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #23
ctbandit
Adventurer

First, I searched a lot on adv as well as other forums and never heard anything bad in the way of crash reports. Perhaps this guy heard something about the airglide or some other jacket with more mesh/less nylon.

Secondly, I can't see how it would melt into your arms...

The only mesh on the arms is the long vent that would almost never come in contact with the ground, barring some freakish elbow break scenario ..

A better part of the arm is covered in 2000denier nylon, and the rest is 500 denier.

(don't worry, we've got moto pants now)

Although I don't think its impossible, this jackets sleeves are pretty well covered and armored, so for it to melt into the skin would prob take quite a bit of force and slide.

Tell that guy to pony up a link or shut up.

ctbandit screwed with this post 01-22-2009 at 02:41 PM
ctbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #24
Scarman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Old thread but I thought I would add my 2 cents. I bought this jacket a few months ago and I really like it. Good in colder weather and vents OK in warmer weather when you're moving. Starting out the day in 35 degree weather with just the water proof liner installed and vents closed was plenty warm for me. As the day warmed up, I removed the liner but kept the vents closed.

Finally it warmed up enough to start opening the vents. As others have stated, folding the vent flaps into their pockets is a bit awkward and it makes the jacket feel a little more bulky but not too bad. It was nice to be able to open and close vents as the temps changed with my altitude during the morning hours. Vents open and moving, the jacket did a decent job of keeping me cool. When I stopped, it warmed up quick. In stop and go traffic, this jacket could get pretty toasty if you're in 90 degree weather.

Unfortunately I had the chance to test this jacket in a crash. I won't waste a lot of space with the details. I went down going 40 MPH and after bouncing a couple times on the asphalt I slid another 30 feet. My injuries are... nasty road rash on my right forearm and a severely bruised right hip and shoulder. There was a very small tear in the right sleeve of the jacket, which I seriously doubt caused the 7" x 2" road rash. I suspect the force of the initial impact with the ground created enough friction and pressure to create a road rash right through the jacket without tearing the material. There are a few seams that ripped near the pockets and there is a small tear in the material on the lower back area. Other than that, the jacket held up well. No melted jacket for me.

This was my first experience with having road debris scrubbed out of an open wound. I just wish they would have numbed it first.
Scarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #25
ctbandit
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarman
I suspect the force of the initial impact with the ground created enough friction and pressure to create a road rash right through the jacket without tearing the material..
Was the road debris scrub from your pants?

This has been a concern for me. I'm 6'2" tall about 200 lbs (some gut) and in a size MEDIUM with no liners that jacket feels loose. I'm a little nervous of it being enough to cause a problem as it did for you. Alternately, my leathers are tight and that give me confidence in the armor and the material. I honestly think that the materials of the GT air would fair ok if it were a sportier fit and it fit to the form better, or is they had more velcro adjustment straps. I hope your injuries heal up and you get to ride again. I'm more inclined to wear my leathers all the time.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #26
Scarman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
The road debris was from the small tear in the sleeve. Not much got through but they didn't want to take any chances so they scrubbed my arm to be safe. Infection is a big concern with road rash. Considering the severity of the impact, I think the jacket held up well. Taking a hard hit and sliding 30' on asphalt is tough stuff. My helmet has a large divot taken out of it. The leather on my boots was ground down through to the armor. As far as synthetic jackets go I think that's about as good as it gets. The road rash was nasty looking but after 10 days it's healing up just fine. New skin is already filling in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbandit
Was the road debris scrub from your pants?

This has been a concern for me. I'm 6'2" tall about 200 lbs (some gut) and in a size MEDIUM with no liners that jacket feels loose. I'm a little nervous of it being enough to cause a problem as it did for you. Alternately, my leathers are tight and that give me confidence in the armor and the material. I honestly think that the materials of the GT air would fair ok if it were a sportier fit and it fit to the form better, or is they had more velcro adjustment straps. I hope your injuries heal up and you get to ride again. I'm more inclined to wear my leathers all the time.
Scarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #27
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
OK, I'm bringing an ancient thread back from the dead. I saw this jacket on sale at Motorcycle Closeouts over the weekend. Well, I foolishly saw "All Seasons Transitions" and thought it was the well-reviewed "AST" jacket. I went ahead and ordered it without doing my proper research. The Olympia description called it 4-season jacket. Can anyone explain the difference between this jacket and the AST? It appears to be a "waist length" rather than 3/4 length jacket I now realize. I should be getting it shortly and will need to decide rather to return it or keep it. I was looking for a colder weather jacket.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #28
Rackemcrackem
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 408
I've had a GT Air All Seasons Transition and a 3/4 length AST for several years and I generally like both jackets.

The GT Air will definitely flow a lot more air with the vents opened than the 3/4 length AST. The GT Air worked well for me in fairly extensive hot and humid riding up to about 95-98 F. It has been worn only in warm rain and I haven't bothered with the liner in tropical conditions so I can't really give an opinion as to it's water resistant qualities. I've also worn it in cool weather and it's fine in weather down to about 40 F with the insulated liner and a base layer under. Below that I want heated gear with any jacket I've had, at least for longer rides.

In cold weather, I've usually worn my 3/4 length AST for a little extra warmth below my waist. It's kept me reasonably dry in prolonged cold rain with the vents carefully closed. Some have reported problems with leaks, however, and it's probably a good thing to have external rain gear with much of the gear that's advertised as "waterproof".

Neither of my Olympia jackets has been down, other than a couple of tip-overs. I suspect that the AST might fare a little better than the GT Air, though, as the 3/4 length jacket has fewer panels, meaning fewer seams to potentially burst. Of course it also offers additional fabric to protect the hip region. In general, I suspect that Olympia's seam stitching method makes them more vulnerable to bursting than with some of the higher-end gear, but I have no personal experience to verify that opinion.

I hope this is helpful.

Rackemcrackem screwed with this post 11-14-2014 at 12:43 AM
Rackemcrackem is offline   Reply With Quote