User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
v65 OP
Still shiny

Oddometer: 3
Two way radios in Australia?

We're heading down under for a nice little jaunt and were planning to use two way radios on and off the bikes for communication, due to the low price and longer range than blue tooth. However, it looks like the Aussies use a different frequency than the ones used by the standard FRS/GMRS radios available here in the US. After much searching here and googling about, I'm still not sure what our options are, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I looked at the cost of buying two ways in Sydney, but wow, were they expensive, at least what I found.

Are FRS/GMRS radios (eg, Motorola Talkabouts, 462/467 MHz) unusable then? What would be a useful, long range handheld option (with ear piece of course)? Must we consign ourselves to blue tooth?

Thanks mate
v65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:00 AM   #2
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,105
Aus ebay? (www.ebay.com.au)

Plenty of riders use handheld UHF over here, but as you have seen we pay a lot more than you do for the privilige...

You might also try the Aus forum for some relevant suggestions.

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
micq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
I picked up an ICOM IC41S handheld UHF with an ear peace today , it looks like it will do a decent job on the bike , 5 watts with low power option , weather proof & looks strong enough . Haven't had a chance to try it yet but will post here when I do .
micq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by v65
Are FRS/GMRS radios (eg, Motorola Talkabouts, 462/467 MHz) unusable then?
They are not legal here ... "usable' ?

There is an extensive UHF CB network set up with repeaters here. If you want to use that then you'll need 'our' UHF sets ..
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,899
I remember when I lived there, I worked 60miles from Echuca in a town called Boort. There were days when we could chat with people in Echuca in regular vehicle mounted UHF's. 10-15 miles was a pretty normal.
Wait till you get there and get one of these.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
v65 OP
Still shiny

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for all the great comments. I've been looking at Aus eBay and Craigslist, as well as looking into rentals, which seem to be more corporate-oriented. I haven't found out what the 462/467 MHz frequencies are used for down under, but knowing my luck, if we try to surreptitiously use our US radios, it will be on the police band. Not sure I want to go to jail because every cop in a 30 km radius is unexpectedly forced to listen to our arguments over whether or not we missed a turn and whose fault that was
v65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:08 AM   #7
frtzl
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
Pmrs

When I was in Europe the FRS-style non-licensed walkie talkies used a standard called PMRS (I think that's for "Personal (or Public) Mobile Radio Service"). A quick web search makes it look like PMRS is a broad standard used in many nations, Australia included.

The walkie talkie units are identical to the FRS units sold in the USA, I think that the spectrum was marginally different but they use a similar carrier squelch system.

FCC, or the local equivalent, rules would make FRS is illegal there just as PMRS is illegal here, but it's unlikely that this is something that would be enforced (especially at the .5W strength of most of the small units) unless you are impinging on frequencies used by the local emergency services. That said... communications equipment is one of the things that customs inspections tend to take a close look at. In fact, they are officially on the restricted import list in many nations.

Fritz

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:56 AM   #8
slojon
SLOJON

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by v65
Thanks for all the great comments. I've been looking at Aus eBay and Craigslist, as well as looking into rentals, which seem to be more corporate-oriented. I haven't found out what the 462/467 MHz frequencies are used for down under, but knowing my luck, if we try to surreptitiously use our US radios, it will be on the police band. Not sure I want to go to jail because every cop in a 30 km radius is unexpectedly forced to listen to our arguments over whether or not we missed a turn and whose fault that was
Play dumb- we all do- and being a yank they'll believe you. It will probably only be a worry at Pine Gap.
2 watt hand held UHF radios are about $160 or a bit less and if you have auto comm you can get leads here. Look up autocomm outlets here or at your port of call. Try duty free. Please enjoy the ride. Use the radios in the US for hunting etc.
slojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
The top of the 467 MHz band is used by the police here in OZ.

Have fun....

Buy an Australian 477 MHz CB radio.....

Old 07-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,408
Realize a two way radio service legal in one country is not legal in another. Every country has its own set of frequency allocations and regulations one must abide by in order to broadcast legally.

The 477 megahertz Australian CB radio service was a good suggestion for the original poster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by v65
That band is used by the SES (State Emergency Service) and Police in metro areas.

Radio Inspectors are virtually non-existant but the Police may not like it.
Not really an issue if you are only using them in country areas.

Our UHF-CB operates around 477mhz
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,408
The European equivalent to the U.S. FRS/GMRS is called PMR446. It's not exactly the same but they due both reside in the UHF band.

www.ultimatefrs.com has some good info on FRS, GMRS, MURS & PMR446.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote