Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #2971
LangKat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Does anyone in Europe have a second hand seat for me? It needs to go to RayZ in the Netherlands.

Please PM me with a price if you can help me out.

Thanks.
LangKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #2972
alpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
showing-off me "iron horsey"...

Almost finished reading all G650X related threads plus a few more others, and thought I might display the latest mods on the 2007 G650XCh acquired at the beginning of the year with less than 3000 Km on the clock (from fellow inmate). I already piled another 5000 Km (shaved the D606 on the front), after getting my M2 license this spring, and getting a bit more familiar with the back-roads and those forest trails around Ontario. I'll be doing mostly adventure ridding (dual track) with occasional trail ridding (my mountain biking expertise does not translate well to the heavy 650 riding), and the next targets will likely be the Trans Canada Adventure Trail and the Continental Divide Trail, before attempting a long trip to Tierra del Fuego, sometime in the future, after building some more confidence on handling and fixing this motorized horsey... many more things to learn.

The bike came with a bunch of goodies (Hyperpro rear shock, RalleMoto steering damper, Leo Vince exhaust, XTank, besides lots of TT aluminum guards and KTM folding mirrors), but given I'm almost 200 km from any decent forest trails and wild back-roads, I had to do something about the seat and fairing... Pictures show the recently power-washed, saddle-waxed, sadly winterized iron horsey:

So far, I custom fitted a Givi Universal Windscreen 245A (got that shipped from the UK), until I decide to bite the bullet and get a proper Linx fairing

I used some aluminum HD clamps with an additional aluminum rod (from HomeDepot) and I'm quite happy with the protection and the air flow, after I pushed the screen in the most vertical position allowed by the other pieces on the handlebar (it leaves a 1" gap from the original front lamp cover for some laminar flow):

I was also lucky enough to find an awesome place, Ye Olde Saddle Shoppe in Toronto, that customizes motorcycle seats and creates any other leather goods you could imagine. MeHi, the owner, is a wonderful guy with some extensive leather expertise and a warm heart, and did a wonderful job in widening my seat just enough for my butt relief, while keeping the narrow area where needed for ridding on the pegs (using some 5 different foam types including memory foam):

I love the seat. I realized how much I love it when I started to notice how soon I forget about it during some 500+ Km trips. Previously, I could never forget its presence (I wondered if there's any worse seat than that).

I might need to visit MeHi, though, to re-stretch the leather in the front and take out those few wrinkles that creped in after the last mink oiling and waxing (I didn't see that until I took down the GL Fandango tank bag which I may have strapped too tight while rain ridding this summer).

I then added as a safety feature some pairs of Skene conspicuous light sets (both front and rear), which act also as additional signal lights (breaking makes a highly visible lighting pattern on the rear). Got those from Motorcycle Innovations, along with a Shorai LFX18L1-BS12, and only last week noticed that most recommend LFX14 due to size description, but you might be glad to know it does fit (had to remove and existing bottom padding, but it's certainly helping also to better vent the battery during the summer temps)... Matt (Motorcycle Innovations owner) was ready to replace it with the smaller size if I couldn't get it in, therefore I tried to get the bigger one to help with my Powerlet consumers (gloves and jacket) when necessary.

I also changed the OEM signals with some 20 high power and very low consumption LED panels from Nippy Normans. Unfortunately the OEM indicator housing and lens don't match and had to use some cheap & fragile junk found on ebay (changed 2 cracked lenses already). I had to lower the indicators on some aluminum brackets to accommodate the XTank and the LV exhaust.

I know riders on this thread don't think much about the SW center stand, but that's one of the first purchases I made to make sure I can work on the chain and rear wheel, especially in the woods... Yes, it's somehow heavy, but I'm surprised people had clearance issues with the rear wheel, as it seems my D908 seems to have almost 1" clearance. I'll be using it for a while to also get some additional protection from rocks, but might look for lighter alternatives in the future, now that I got some stands to use in the garage. I almost had the center stand removed after I once slipped my rear on the right side and ripped the tip of the spring stud (but managed to dremel a new spring grip on that stud)

Today I took out the exhaust head pipe for that thermal ceramic treatment, as I'm quite concerned about that gap to the hose getting any smaller. I'm not quite convinced, though, that the ceramic treatment would be enough, so I'm thinking to wrap the hose into some additional heat protection in the risk area. Will see how hot it gets after I get the pipe back. Next time I'll work on the bike, I should also get those Kriega fork seal protectors and the UniFilter (NU7309) I just got in the mail.

It will probably take a while before I reach the limits of these forks and decide to do one of the recommended swaps, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace the aluminum subframe rather soon, before I decide to get a GL loop bag and venture into a long haul trip (I may need to get some progressive HP springs for the front for my next fork oil change). My next challenge would be getting longer break lines (has ABS) in order to accommodate some newly acquired 2" Rox Risers (I'm 6'2" and the RalleMoto does not seem quite high enough while on the pegs). Anyone has any thoughts on using a Rox riser on top of a RalleMoto and about getting custom made break steel-braided lines ?

So, that's the kind of mods I see looming in the future...

alpi screwed with this post 12-13-2011 at 12:53 PM Reason: attached pics cleanup
alpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #2973
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Alpi

I can't see any of the images in your post. Not sure if it's on your or my end.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #2974
alpi
Adventurer

Yeap, it's on my end... just finished re-attaching them from the smugmug account (apparently I can only attach one directly to the post, and the initial links from smugmug were not quite compliant somehow). Hopefully now it works...
Old 12-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #2975
slide
A nation in despair

still cannot see them. Let's wait to hear from others. It may be my end.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #2976
alpi
Adventurer

No, it's something I'm missing on my end... I see them attached while editing and after the post is re-saved, but once I refresh the web page all pictures disappear. I'm quite confused about this "Insert Image" feature on the post edit

D'oh! ... minutes later, the noob finds the way

I was using the private settings for the bike photo gallery and smugmug kept refusing to share the pics with advrider.com. Now, they do show up as expected.

alpi screwed with this post 12-12-2011 at 12:17 PM
alpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #2977
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Nice looking Xchallenge you have there, I can see the pics just fine. :)
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #2978
slide
A nation in despair

I see them now too. Yeah, nice job on that bike.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #2979
jessehere
Ridin'

Oddometer: 769
i swee most but not all pic. Nice looking bike there!
jessehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #2980
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpi View Post

Hi, nice bike there :)
But hey, you should remove that plastic upper chain guard with the Xtank in place. You don't want to hit any whoops with that thing, as-is.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #2981
slide
A nation in despair

Where do you get an XTank?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #2982
alpi
Adventurer

Thanks for your kind words, folks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessehere View Post
i swee most but not all pic. Nice looking bike there!
Jesse, I posted a total of 10 pics, and being all part of the same gallery, they should all be visible by now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
Hi, nice bike there :)
But hey, you should remove that plastic upper chain guard with the Xtank in place. You don't want to hit any whoops with that thing, as-is.
FinnDuro, I never thought about that, but seeing those new scraps I can see on that plastic upper chain, it's very likely you're right I don't really want that anymore. So, I guess, the Xtank would play the role of the chain guard in the worst-case scenario...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Where do you get an XTank?
Slide, my Xtank came with the bike, but you should be able to purchase directly from the source: Hotrod Welding in the Netherlands.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #2983
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,555
Alpi--from one farkler to another--sweet mods and farkles! Nicely done!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 AM   #2984
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
Gas cap update -

For those of you following the continuing saga of how to fix the dripping X model gas cap (when using an aux tank), I have additional input.

I have experimented with several replacement materials for the stock sealing rubber gasket. There is a problem with our alcohol-laden gas attacking the compound. Neoprene is almost surely not up to the task. I had opted for 1/16 Nitrile that worked good for a while but it too succumbed to the ethanol !

Over the weekend, I picked up some 1/16 Viton material that is supposed to be about as resistant as can be had these days. Viton is the same material comprising the lock cylinder o-ring.

The home-made Viton gasket has been in place for a couple of days and, despite a slight deformation, seems to be holding up better than the Nitrile.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #2985
slide
A nation in despair

Thanks, Alpi. I do want the Xtank but I think I'll wait hoping for the continued slide of the euro. I think the Xtank worth the roughly 500 euro but I can't swing it now.