User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #3256
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
Ditched the Remus

After a niggling doubt for a few months, I have decided to revert back to the original BMW Can and take off the Remus (with Cat)

The Remus looks better and is 2kgs lighter (being Ti and Carbon, but no louder than stock)

However I was disappointed with the top speed, smoothness and torque with it fitted. I felt the bike wasn't as good as before

So last week I refitted the BMW Can and tried it today

The bike is 10mph faster

The bike is much smoother

The bike has much more mid-range grunt and go

Very pleased, but miss the looks of the Remus

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #3257
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post
After a niggling doubt for a few months, I have decided to revert back to the original BMW Can and take off the Remus (with Cat)

The Remus looks better and is 2kgs lighter (being Ti and Carbon, but no louder than stock)

However I was disappointed with the top speed, smoothness and torque with it fitted. I felt the bike wasn't as good as before

So last week I refitted the BMW Can and tried it today

The bike is 10mph faster

The bike is much smoother

The bike has much more mid-range grunt and go

Very pleased, but miss the looks of the Remus
How does a pipe knock 10MPH off top speed?
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #3258
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
stock pipe is more aerodynamic!!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #3259
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
How does a pipe knock 10MPH off top speed?
Don't know, it just does

As per the speedo figures..............

95mph flat out with the Remus

105 mph (and still pulling) with the stock can

Same road, same day, same rider

Must be something like more back pressure with the original can

Bike goes a lot better with the original BMW can

Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #3260
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
That does seem very strange. Anyone know what kind of RPM loss 10mph is with stock gearing in 5th?
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #3261
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
That does seem very strange. Anyone know what kind of RPM loss 10mph is with stock gearing in 5th?
Same bike and everything - runs on same road 1 hour apart

New Ti and Carbon Remus Can with Cat, not the Freeride Remus, which is noisier

Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #3262
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,884
Johnny, open up the oem can a bit and it becomes a lot stronger from top to bottom with a deeper note but not as loud as the aftermarket slip ones. Leave the cat in.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #3263
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm putting on a LeoVince X3 today. I fully expect better performance.

I see in your case that your slip on has a cat. I wonder if that is the problem? Most slip-on's do not...
Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #3264
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
i was under the impression that while ditching the cat is nice bc it keeps your left leg from burning up, it reduces back pressure which will hinder performance since the bike is tuned from the factory for the stock can.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #3265
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
These are the stock fairings. Just got myself a little mouse sander and stripped the original paint back and then put on some primer, paint and hardcoat out of a can. It's really not the best job up close but makes a nice change from white.

Pretty easy to do over a weekend, just make sure you get the finest sandpaper you can find for the sander.
Thanks Dave.. that opens up possibilities,
markwoodlief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #3266
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedz View Post
i was under the impression that while ditching the cat is nice bc it keeps your left leg from burning up, it reduces back pressure which will hinder performance since the bike is tuned from the factory for the stock can.
Keep in mind that BMW offered aftermarket racing exhausts from Akropovic for these bikes that had no cat, and pretty much no back pressure without requiring a ECM flash.

This bike has a closed loop exhaust system and a learning-capable ECM so the bike should be able to tune itself for reduced back pressure. Best practices dictate that one should disconnect the battery for at least 15 minutes when changing affected components (like exhaust). Pulling the ECM fuse would probably work also.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #3267
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
So while we are on the topic of backpressure and how motor performance is altered by it can someone learn in on the inserts that come with the Leo-Vince X3?
There are 4 inserts that come with, but 2 are to be used with the spark arrestor and the other 2 are without the arrestor. So in reality its just 2 different inserts and then the option of no exhaust tip/insert.
My theory which is probably wrong is
The insert that reaches deeper into the exhaust or the longer one would give better low end torque,
The insert with the which is shallower will increase mid range. Mix of torque and top end
Then if you ran with no insert loss of low/mid torque but a bit more peak HP?

If I had a dyno locally I would go get it looked at, but the option just isn’t there
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #3268
Mr F
I hear banjos.

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
So while we are on the topic of backpressure and how motor performance is altered by it can someone learn in on the inserts that come with the Leo-Vince X3?
There are 4 inserts that come with, but 2 are to be used with the spark arrestor and the other 2 are without the arrestor. So in reality its just 2 different inserts and then the option of no exhaust tip/insert.
My theory which is probably wrong is
The insert that reaches deeper into the exhaust or the longer one would give better low end torque,
The insert with the which is shallower will increase mid range. Mix of torque and top end
Then if you ran with no insert loss of low/mid torque but a bit more peak HP?

If I had a dyno locally I would go get it looked at, but the option just isn’t there
the long insert "plugs" into the pipe forcing the air to go through the muffler packing. The short one doesn't plug into anything so it allows the exhaust to bypass the packing providing a more free flowing exhaust, and lots of low end and mid range. The long one burns up the packing very quickly and the added heat wears the carbon fiber strap, but it allows for better top end power. I live in Texas so it's very hot here in the summers. Typically in the heat the packing will last maybe 2000 miles. With the short insert I've done almost 4x that and it still looks good. I don't think the x3 suitable for the big 650 single, I used the spark arrestor with the short insert and ended up blowing a hole in it after a few weeks. LV was nice enough to replace it at no cost, but the CF strap you have to pay for, and it's $40 every time it goes. I think next time I'm going to buy one of those stainless and rubber straps off of ebay.

For what it's worth. the stock exhaust has never performed better than the LV slipon. I rode on the LV for years and it was always better. I had to go back to the stock can for a while while I was repacking the LV and power delivery was nothing like the with the LV.
Mr F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #3269
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
the long insert "plugs" into the pipe forcing the air to go through the muffler packing. The short one doesn't plug into anything so it allows the exhaust to bypass the packing providing a more free flowing exhaust, and lots of low end and mid range. The long one burns up the packing very quickly and the added heat wears the carbon fiber strap, but it allows for better top end power. I live in Texas so it's very hot here in the summers. Typically in the heat the packing will last maybe 2000 miles. With the short insert I've done almost 4x that and it still looks good. I don't think the x3 suitable for the big 650 single, I used the spark arrestor with the short insert and ended up blowing a hole in it after a few weeks. LV was nice enough to replace it at no cost, but the CF strap you have to pay for, and it's $40 every time it goes. I think next time I'm going to buy one of those stainless and rubber straps off of ebay.

For what it's worth. the stock exhaust has never performed better than the LV slipon. I rode on the LV for years and it was always better. I had to go back to the stock can for a while while I was repacking the LV and power delivery was nothing like the with the LV.
Isn't the short insert REALLY loud?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #3270
Poutine
(⌐■_■)

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
The long one burns up the packing very quickly and the added heat wears the carbon fiber strap, but it allows for better top end power. I live in Texas so it's very hot here in the summers. Typically in the heat the packing will last maybe 2000 miles.
Anyone else had that sort of issues with the X3?

Before buying mine I called Leo Vince USA and asked about the packing and the guy answered it didn't ever need to be replaced. I've done about 5K miles with the long insert and haven't noticed any issues.
Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote