http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782114

Thanks
imeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #3437
Boughton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Centerstand g650x

Does anyone recommend the SW-MOTECH centerstand for the xchallenge? I have not been able to find any other brands, so I'm assuming this is all we get to choose from...
Boughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #3438
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boughton View Post
Does anyone recommend the SW-MOTECH centerstand for the xchallenge? I have not been able to find any other brands, so I'm assuming this is all we get to choose from...
Old 04-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #3439
alpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boughton View Post
I know many would frown upon adding such a relatively heavy (~ 3lb) center-stand on such bike (designed and built to be lightweight), but I got one and never looked back, especially since it's very handy when it comes to rear wheel or chain maintenance "in the sticks". Yes, I know one could easily find a boulder/stump or get the lighter and simpler Enduro Start stand (especially if single-trail is the main riding), but the SWM center stand complements also the bash plate, protecting the bottom quite well for those aiming for long range type of adventure riding. I also appreciate its usefulness in the garage when storing over the winter and keeping the suspension and tires offloaded.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #3440
joenuclear
Planning.....

Thanks for the input.

While I'm on a roll does anyone have any experience with the Hagon shock on an X?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #3441
dajg
dajg

Oddometer: 65
tyre tubes / mousse / tubliss...

is there a thread / review for;

mousse v HD tube v tubliss?

i.e.

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...resistant.html or http://motorcycle.michelin.com.au/tw...moreProduct/53

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...be-18inch.html

http://www.nuetech.com/index.shtml

i ask in this thread as i'm kitting the X for west africa. Neutech advise (email to me last week) that a tubliss will be available for 18" dia, 2.5" wide rims late this year.

further, if running tubliss or mousse or HD tube, do you need to / recommend carrying a spare tube? if so would you just take a regular lightweight tube?

lastly - the tubliss inner needs 100 - 110 psi or 7 - 7.5 bar - i carry a slime pump - given the small volume of air, would the slime get up to that pressure?

thanks in advance
dave
dajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #3442
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpi View Post
I know many would frown upon adding such a relatively heavy (~ 3lb) center-stand on such bike (designed and built to be lightweight), but I got one and never looked back, especially since it's very handy when it comes to rear wheel or chain maintenance "in the sticks". Yes, I know one could easily find a boulder/stump or get the lighter and simpler Enduro Start stand (especially if single-trail is the main riding), but the SWM center stand complements also the bash plate, protecting the bottom quite well for those aiming for long range type of adventure riding. I also appreciate its usefulness in the garage when storing over the winter and keeping the suspension and tires offloaded.

THe problem I have with the stand is that it lowers the ground clearance. It also looks like the mounting bracket hangs down to the point of bieng able to catch on stuff breaking the cheap frame sections that are not as strong as the centerstand mount. (I have broke the frame section and engine block already) This is the same reason I DO NOT even consider using the brake side "hardpart", and the sidestand hardpart and mount have been ground down.

I think it all depends on how you use your X. That centerstand would be more convienent in most normal usage and pose no problem for paved and gravel roads, but when the going gets rough it may be better to just remove it.

www.dakotadualsportriders.com
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #3443
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Thanks for the input.

While I'm on a roll does anyone have any experience with the Hagon shock on an X?
I will in about two weeks if you can wait? I ordered 30mm seat height reduction. In my usual Internet research it seems someone bent one during an event, but the full circumstances weren't known. My main deciding factor was
that they are in the same country as me and the chap who answered my phone enquiry was so helpful I ordered it there and then.

Standard was cheaper than the competition but I'm getting custom built which puts it on a par with the standard hyperpro.
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #3444
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajg View Post
is there a thread / review for;

mousse v HD tube v tubliss?

i.e.

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...resistant.html or http://motorcycle.michelin.com.au/tw...moreProduct/53

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...be-18inch.html

http://www.nuetech.com/index.shtml

i ask in this thread as i'm kitting the X for west africa. Neutech advise (email to me last week) that a tubliss will be available for 18" dia, 2.5" wide rims late this year.

further, if running tubliss or mousse or HD tube, do you need to / recommend carrying a spare tube? if so would you just take a regular lightweight tube?

lastly - the tubliss inner needs 100 - 110 psi or 7 - 7.5 bar - i carry a slime pump - given the small volume of air, would the slime get up to that pressure?

thanks in advance
dave
How much distance are you riding? How much road?

I would probably just do the Dakar mousse and not worry about tire troubles.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #3445
joenuclear
Planning.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
I will in about two weeks if you can wait? I ordered 30mm seat height reduction. In my usual Internet research it seems someone bent one during an event, but the full circumstances weren't known. My main deciding factor was
that they are in the same country as me and the chap who answered my phone enquiry was so helpful I ordered it there and then.

Standard was cheaper than the competition but I'm getting custom built which puts it on a par with the standard hyperpro.
Thanx, I'll watch for your review.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #3446
Koof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Pro Screen

Parabrisas Curtain Pro Screen:

Maybe add to the list on page one??
Koof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #3447
okto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
just looking for some reassurance before i bite the bullet.

can someone tell me if the steel subframe for the xcountry is a direct replacement for the aluminum xchallenge?

no issues with pannier racks and the like?

thanks
okto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #3448
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by okto View Post
just looking for some reassurance before i bite the bullet.

can someone tell me if the steel subframe for the xcountry is a direct replacement for the aluminum xchallenge?

no issues with pannier racks and the like?

thanks
Nope, it's not.

The passenger footpegs are different and since most pannier racks use those footpegs as a mounting point the racks are not interchangeable. Also, the passenger grab handles attach at the top of the subframe with M6 bolts on the alu subframe and M8 bolts on the steel one. Again, since these mounting points are used by most pannier racks, they are not interchangeable without some modification.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #3449
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 691
rear shock bolts

hey everyone i'm changing over the bouncy castle shock for a wilbers and my workshop manual has gone walkabout... so can anyone tell me what the hell head is on the hidden end of the lower shock bolt? and how have people got it out? also while i'm asking, what size hex is the top bolt?

cheers
Old 04-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #3450
Johnnyboxer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
G650X Alloy Subframe M6 threads Rear Rack/Grab Handle Mounts - one of mine has stripped the threads in the alloy subframe

Can someone tell me how to repair?

Is it a M6 RivNut in the box alloy frame?

Or a threaded M6 sleeve?

So is a Helicoil or RivNut the best way to repair and strengthen the stripped thread in the subframe?

Anyone repaired one?

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote