Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 AM   #3811
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Several times. Tall bars and rubber mounts don't mix. Ny fix was to stop crashing so much and periodically replace the bolts.
same here, got rid of bar risers and used high tensile bolts (12.9) and then try not to drop the bike
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #3812
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Several times. Tall bars and rubber mounts don't mix. Ny fix was to stop crashing so much and periodically replace the bolts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
same here, got rid of bar risers and used high tensile bolts (12.9) and then try not to drop the bike
I replaced the upper triple clamp with the emig racing one and am using their bar risers (to fit the steering damper below). It is very stout and as TBarstow can attest, I crash tested it a number of times in death valley earlier in the year with no ill effects. They are rubber mounted but in a different way than the stock ones.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #3813
Tomdog
Mapaholic

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
I replaced the upper triple clamp with the emig racing one and am using their bar risers (to fit the steering damper below). It is very stout and as TBarstow can attest, I crash tested it a number of times in death valley earlier in the year with no ill effects. They are rubber mounted but in a different way than the stock ones.
Any chance of more info here. Riser model or URL etc?
Old 07-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #3814
GSDisciple
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Steering fix

Thanks very much fellas.

JP
GSDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #3815
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdog View Post
Any chance of more info here. Riser model or URL etc?
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=61

Link to a side view...

The whole build is in my sig, with links to most of the stuff in the first post, including the Emig Racing one...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #3816
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
I Feel So Stupid....

Argahha Warghaa! I did it.

When i went to drain the sump on my recent oil change, I pulled the banjo bolt instead! No, I don't know what I was thinking except I said to myself, "I don't remember this being 22 mm..." and then I saw the actual drain plug wasn't.

Well, I tried reusing the old crush washers but now I have an oil leak so I'll need to pull the banjo again and replace with new crush washers. Is there anything tricky or strange about doing this op?

TIA.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #3817
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,509
Thanks jonnyc21, I was thinking the ABS meant it was a very different operation from normal bikes. I'll do some checking as well.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #3818
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Whats a fair price for a stock skid plate in what I would call almost perfect condition ? Just got a tt plate so have one to lose.
Gotta make a little back from the purchase
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #3819
August West
Wharf Rat

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
Whats a fair price for a stock skid plate in what I would call almost perfect condition ? Just got a tt plate so have one to lose.
Gotta make a little back from the purchase
My $0,02 worth is that 1/2 of retail is fair for used parts. having said that I looked at Max BMW's parts fiche site and the skid plate seemed to be the one part not shown. So I have no idea what retail is, making this a less than useful post.
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #3820
cobrakai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Hey guys, couple more questions about my 07 Xmoto...

Can you guys clutchless upshift? I can't shift 1-2 at all and overall the shifting is super clunky even when using the clutch. It is fully disengaging since I adjusted it, but it's still awful.

Is this the same engine as the F650? The site http://faq.f650.com/main.html has a ton of good info, but I want to see how much applies to our bikes.

The suspension feels too stiff for harsh bumps, but at the same time too loopy in the turns. I've got fork compression at -3 from stock, +3 fork rebound, and +3 shock rebound. Stock rear preload (for 185lb rider) I am about 175 with gear. I've released the air from the forks. Any tips?

Anyone unscrewed the airbox? The gasket in there kinda sucks, I was thinking of replacing it with something better... somehow?

This might help someone:
Regarding the stalling issue a lot of you have, I was able to clean the intake air temp sensor and idle air actuator with MAF cleaner. Also ran some Redline SI-1 through the tank and it hasn't cold stalled since. Hope this helps.
cobrakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #3821
aprilian
Can I change this?

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakai View Post
Hey guys, couple more questions about my 07 Xmoto...
Can you guys clutchless upshift? I can't shift 1-2 at all and overall the shifting is super clunky even when using the clutch. It is fully disengaging since I adjusted it, but it's still awful.
Yesm, I was doing them at the track last weekend and this one too. - oil makes a difference. At the end of yesterday, the gearbox wasn't shifting to neutral cleanly. That usually improves with swapping out the oil.

Quote:
The suspension feels too stiff for harsh bumps, but at the same time too loopy in the turns. I've got fork compression at -3 from stock, +3 fork rebound, and +3 shock rebound. Stock rear preload (for 185lb rider) I am about 175 with gear. I've released the air from the forks. Any tips?
I am also also the same weight and I run full in rebound damping on front and rear and mid range comp damping on front. Preload on rear is somewhere mid range, I tend to adjust it a bit based on temperature and road condition. Front forks are raised 5-6mm in the yokes. That feels like it turns easily and tracks well over bumps. Tires are at 24/24 on track. Works well enough for me that I haven't sprung for aftermarket bits and bobs (as I did on all other bikes I have owned).

Having said what I do, be aware that many factors affect suspension and your bike's suspension might behave different from mine. Just copying settings doesn't always work.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #3822
cobrakai
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
Yesm, I was doing them at the track last weekend and this one too. - oil makes a difference. At the end of yesterday, the gearbox wasn't shifting to neutral cleanly. That usually improves with swapping out the oil.

I am also also the same weight and I run full in rebound damping on front and rear and mid range comp damping on front. Preload on rear is somewhere mid range, I tend to adjust it a bit based on temperature and road condition. Front forks are raised 5-6mm in the yokes. That feels like it turns easily and tracks well over bumps. Tires are at 24/24 on track. Works well enough for me that I haven't sprung for aftermarket bits and bobs (as I did on all other bikes I have owned).

Having said what I do, be aware that many factors affect suspension and your bike's suspension might behave different from mine. Just copying settings doesn't always work.
What oil are you using? The previous owner used BMW 15w40 non-synthetic oil. At 5k miles I switched to Honda HP4 synthetic blend 10w40 which actually feels like it made it worse. I've got some Redline 10w40 full synthetic to swap in at 10k miles, I hope that helps... it's the best as far as I can tell.

That's also pretty stiff settings. What kind of roads you riding on? I have a combination backroads and highway, and the backroads are pretty bumpy. Ran the suggested 26/29 but felt it was too unstable at higher speeds. Currently at 32/35 and it's much more stable, but slightly more bumpy. Also are you still using the 10w oil they come with?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:59 AM   #3823
An-tonio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Helicoil arg!!

Hi all, recently I have discover the same issue as toofast4uu user with the left helicoil destroyed that (incomprehensibly) bmw don't sell as spare part, it's incredible.

I'm trying to contact toofat4uu who made the required helicoil in a local machinist but may be he is out. I would like to know the exact sizes to build it here. I could umount the entire left pieze but its strongly attached to the motor with a nut impossible to remove so it would be better to don't have to remove it :)

Any idea about the helicoil sizes ?

Any help is welcome,
thanks!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #3824
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
What oil are you using? The previous owner used BMW 15w40 non-synthetic oil. At 5k miles I switched to Honda HP4 synthetic blend 10w40 which actually feels like it made it worse. I've got some Redline 10w40 full synthetic to swap in at 10k miles, I hope that helps... it's the best as far as I can tell.

That's also pretty stiff settings. What kind of roads you riding on? I have a combination backroads and highway, and the backroads are pretty bumpy. Ran the suggested 26/29 but felt it was too unstable at higher speeds. Currently at 32/35 and it's much more stable, but slightly more bumpy. Also are you still using the 10w oil they come with?
Funny you should mention this but I just changed my oil from BMW brand to Shell Rotella which I had stocked a bunch on hand. This is mostly aimed at light diesel apps but I use it in all my vehicles when I do my own changes.

I find the shifting to be marked better, but not nearly the ease of Honda or Suzuki shifting.

BMW says to shift properly you need very stiff boots and you need to shift positively. I got that when I said the shifting on my R was clunky.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #3825
cobrakai
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Funny you should mention this but I just changed my oil from BMW brand to Shell Rotella which I had stocked a bunch on hand. This is mostly aimed at light diesel apps but I use it in all my vehicles when I do my own changes.

I find the shifting to be marked better, but not nearly the ease of Honda or Suzuki shifting.

BMW says to shift properly you need very stiff boots and you need to shift positively. I got that when I said the shifting on my R was clunky.
Yeah, both of my other Hondas (a sport bike and a dirt bike) shift very smoothly. I normally wear stiff boots when riding, but they are not full rigid boots like those for use with leathers, just A* reinforced hiking boots basically.

I have noticed that shifting has become better over time, but its still not great. I hope it keeps improving I guess. What weight is that Shell Rotella and is it a fulls synthetic?