Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 AM   #3826
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
Does anyone happen to know when size the hex nut is which holds clutch's driving dog in place?

I've gotta pull this out tomorrow but first I need to buy a socket for it.
Can't help you on the size. While you are going shopping, have you got a tool to hold the clutch basket? The nut will be TIGHT and once you remove the plates there is nothing to stop the basket spinning round. I have heard before of people trying to hold the basket by putting a screw-driver between the fingers of the basket but this usually causes the basket to shatter.

A specific tool is best but there are other options.

Welding a handle onto a spare steel clutch plate is probably your best option.

I have managed in the past with a couple of small, flat ended G-clamps. Remove the outer plate and springs and use the G-clamps to squeeze the rest of the clutch plates. This will prevent the inner basket revolving within the outer. I also had to jam the gears between the clutch outer with a penny. Make sure it is something soft like copper to avoid marking the gears. I did this on my Fantic so have no idea whether there is enough space to get a G-clamp behind the clutch on the X.

I have heard of someone drilling a hole through the middle of a spare outer clutch plate so he could use this to apply pressure to the plates, while again using the penny to jam the gears.

Good luck

The Jester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #3827
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 552
I was thinking about a Rekluse myself. A guy fitted one to an X-country and he said it was pretty snatchy. His review put me off. Search on the X-county thread.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #3828
B-M-Double-Noob
Noob x 2

Oddometer: 30
Xchallenge fuel light question...

Hello all...

I'm a new Xchallenge owner. I ran out of fuel the other day. I was expecting the fuel light to come on. It didn't, so I just kept driving. Mind you, this was in my first tank of gas on the bike. No fuel light ever came on. I noticed that when I first turn the key the dash lights most of the lights briefly, as in a diagnostic check or whatever, but the fuel light doesn't light. Should it? I also noticed that there is a second fuel icon (gas pump) near the trip odometer. Is this the fuel "light" that I should be looking for?

Since running out, I've just been careful to refuel frequently, as I understand it's not a good idea to run these bikes out of gas. love the Xchallenge so far. Getting 65+ MPG (though i realize the sped/odo is about %10 off).

thanks for your help!

B-M-Double-Noob
Old 08-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #3829
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakai View Post
Yeah, both of my other Hondas (a sport bike and a dirt bike) shift very smoothly. I normally wear stiff boots when riding, but they are not full rigid boots like those for use with leathers, just A* reinforced hiking boots basically.

I have noticed that shifting has become better over time, but its still not great. I hope it keeps improving I guess. What weight is that Shell Rotella and is it a fulls synthetic?
Its 15w-40 and I don't know if it's full synth.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #3830
cobrakai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-M-Double-Noob View Post
Hello all...

I'm a new Xchallenge owner. I ran out of fuel the other day. I was expecting the fuel light to come on. It didn't, so I just kept driving. Mind you, this was in my first tank of gas on the bike. No fuel light ever came on. I noticed that when I first turn the key the dash lights most of the lights briefly, as in a diagnostic check or whatever, but the fuel light doesn't light. Should it? I also noticed that there is a second fuel icon (gas pump) near the trip odometer. Is this the fuel "light" that I should be looking for?

Since running out, I've just been careful to refuel frequently, as I understand it's not a good idea to run these bikes out of gas. love the Xchallenge so far. Getting 65+ MPG (though i realize the sped/odo is about %10 off).

thanks for your help!

B-M-Double-Noob
Yeah it should come on at about 100 miles or so. It should come on when you have .5 gallons left. Mine comes on when I have used 1.75 gallons, so I know I have .75 gallons left, or about 45 miles. I never expect to go more than 30 miles more though, just in case.

The gas pump on the LCD is something that shows up once the fuel light has come on. It will start counting how many miles since the light came on... a neat little feature.

When you put the key in the ON position, all of the lights should light up. You can probably check to see if the LED is getting voltage, and then replace it if necessary. I don't want to know how much a new cluster costs...
cobrakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #3831
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 485
its probably the sender, mine went bad as well as a few others on here.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #3832
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
Does anyone happen to know when size the hex nut is which holds clutch's driving dog in place?

I've gotta pull this out tomorrow but first I need to buy a socket for it. I know its bigger than 24mm, most likely 26 or 27mm but I dont have any way to measure atm. If not than I'll just buy an array of sockets as I'll most likely need them at some point anyway.

Part 9 on the image
Part number is:

21 21 2 343 503

You will need a 27mm socket, see step 10 here. I used an air impact wrench or I never would have figured out how to get that nut off, but Jester has some good ideas on how to hold it.

I guess I said the Rekluse was "snatchy", whatever that means, jtw

Idle speed has a lot to do with the Rekluse-ness at a stop sign, sometimes it creeps up and then is required to use the clutch (or put into neutral) when stopped as it is grabbing. I like it when moving, for off road in particular, but I don't really like it when stopped then starting off.

I also think finding neutral when stopped got worse when I switch from Shell Rotella (a NON synthetic) to AMSOil full synthetic, and so did my notchy shifting in general. I'm surprised and switching back to Shell Rotella (with its JASO wet clutch rating). But let's don't make this an oil thread, hehe.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:52 AM   #3833
DaveyDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
You will need a 27mm socket, see step 10 here. I used an air impact wrench or I never would have figured out how to get that nut off, but Jester has some good ideas on how to hold it.

I guess I said the Rekluse was "snatchy", whatever that means, jtw

Idle speed has a lot to do with the Rekluse-ness at a stop sign, sometimes it creeps up and then is required to use the clutch (or put into neutral) when stopped as it is grabbing. I like it when moving, for off road in particular, but I don't really like it when stopped then starting off.

I also think finding neutral when stopped got worse when I switch from Shell Rotella (a NON synthetic) to AMSOil full synthetic, and so did my notchy shifting in general. I'm surprised and switching back to Shell Rotella (with its JASO wet clutch rating). But let's don't make this an oil thread, hehe.
Thanks Snooker that's a great link/writeup - thanks heaps. I ended up ordering a Rekluse today and I'm looking forward to seeing if they're as good as everyone says.

It's interesting what everyone's been saying about the different oils. I'll generally quite like Motorex, so I'll give that a shot first and take it from there.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #3834
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 550
Ignition switch

I have had a nightmare of a time trying to figure out why the bike would shut down/ not start.

I think a few pages ago TBarstow (?) mentioned something along the lines of the solder being a weak link in the ignition area. If you refer to MaxBMW micro fiche under "locks f vehicle" you can see part number 5 part# 51 25 7 714 676.

Is the weak connection in this part? Is it permanently fixable or better to replace?

I am not fond of being stranded when it rains or having the engine cut out randomly. I am pretty certain this is the issue as the wires protruding from this part at crazy long and tend to shut the dashboard and power of when I fiddle with them.

How exactly did anyone fix this if it has happened to them? How long did the fix last?

Thanks.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #3835
DESERT SCORPION
SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer: 124
Bmw x-challenge ignition switch

Have a look at this post. This may or may not be your problem. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=455
I know that several people have found frayed or broken solder joints on this switch, but in my case the problem was internal. I suppose you could just get the new switch to solve the problem.

THE SCORPION
DESERT SCORPION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #3836
cobrakai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Does anyone know what the extra locking latch is for located behind the seat latch, under the rear fender? You can open/close it by pulling a little looped cable that the brake light harness fits through...
cobrakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #3837
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakai View Post
Does anyone know what the extra locking latch is for located behind the seat latch, under the rear fender? You can open/close it by pulling a little looped cable that the brake light harness fits through...
Number plate bracket - After you remove the 2 bolts securing the number plate bracket you need to pull that cable to release it.

The Jester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #3838
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
ah, so thats what its for.....

not knowing what it was used for, i removed the cable from the key seat release and used the new looped cable to release the seat and located the loop behind the plastic by the fuel cap, ran the breather hose through it so it will stay hidden
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #3839
bhartzell
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb X Challenge; to buy or not to buy?

Hello to BMW 650 X Challenge owners, particularly in the Seattle area; I am contemplating buying this bike, but none are available in this area. Therefore, I have not had an opportunity to ride one. (After buying a DRZ 400 without riding it first, then being disappointed, I'm not going to do that again!) So, is anyone around here contemplating selling, or alternatively willing to let a fellow rider take a brief spin on their bike, to better show-off the bikes characteristics? Advice?
Thank you,
Brett
(Current bikes: 2009 DRZ 400, 2008 KTM 450 EXC-R, 2007 Ducati ST3)
bhartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #3840
mike,p
WELL LIT ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 753
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartzell View Post
Hello to BMW 650 X Challenge owners, particularly in the Seattle area; I am contemplating buying this bike, but none are available in this area. Therefore, I have not had an opportunity to ride one. (After buying a DRZ 400 without riding it first, then being disappointed, I'm not going to do that again!) So, is anyone around here contemplating selling, or alternatively willing to let a fellow rider take a brief spin on their bike, to better show-off the bikes characteristics? Advice?
Thank you,
Brett
(Current bikes: 2009 DRZ 400, 2008 KTM 450 EXC-R, 2007 Ducati ST3)
With all the info available on the X challenge, I don't know what the hold back would be , they areare great bikes. The xchallenges that are for sale now are set up pretty nice. Good luck finding someone to let you ride their bike so you can go buy someone else's.
mike,p is offline   Reply With Quote