Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #3931
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks1 View Post
Hi to all, I'm new to the site.
What a wealth of information here, many thanks to all who've spent lots of money and time maturing the 650-X's and memorializing it here.

I'd be interested in renting your aft frame fixture and building one out of Ti, provided you go forward with the plan. What material are you going to use for the new aft frame?

Here's a link to the factory steel aft frame for the X-Country ( http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=46&fg=05 ) it's a bit expensive at $837.83 if they do in fact require a similar steel core in return.

Question: Has anyone ever converted an 650-X to a 400W charging system?
I read some chatter about it here, however didn't find anyone having actually do it.

Thanks,
David
The XChallenge and XCountry rear subframes are not the same. The top rear part of the subframes are different dimensions.

What do you mean "core in return"? When you break your subframe, you buy a new one, BMW doesn't take the old one back.

Most guys have found that the bike has plenty of electrical capacity without having to spend a lot of money to add an extra 120W to the charging system. Total up what electrical devices you want to run and pare it down to what you need.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #3932
dantroop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
recalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I would verify that the bike has had all the recalls done. In particular, make sure it has the Yuasa battery, not the Exide. (there were 2 recalls for the Exide batteries before they gave up and put in a Yuasa) I wouldn't ride any distance on the Exide battery. Frankly, with only 122 miles, I would be wary of ANY battery that's in it. Might be worth buying an Odyssey or Yuasa locally and throwing it in before you leave.

These are the services/recalls that have been performed on the bike.

12-14-07 Replacement of fuel line
1-25-08 battery failed
11-25-08 Battery failed
2-9-09 Check wheel bearings of rear wheel
2-9-09 Retrofitting adapters for Service stand
8-7-09 steering head torque
7-18-12 New battery
7-18-12 Brake Pipe distributor bracket
7-19-12 Take up roller bracket
dantroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #3933
Antti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
What would be right tightening moments for waterpump + clutch cover bolts?
Old 09-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #3934
Tracks1
Arctic Rider

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
The XChallenge and XCountry rear subframes are not the same. The top rear part of the subframes are different dimensions.

What do you mean "core in return"? When you break your subframe, you buy a new one, BMW doesn't take the old one back.

Most guys have found that the bike has plenty of electrical capacity without having to spend a lot of money to add an extra 120W to the charging system. Total up what electrical devices you want to run and pare it down to what you need.
Thanks for the advice.

As to the frame core return; just going by what the BMW pricing said. I've not heard back yet from the dealer. If they want a return core, well I'll just build my own out of Ti or Carbon (my field of expertise.) Actually am inclined to do it anyways as I need lots more fuel.

As to the total wattage needed; I'm building a Snowbike (Timbersled drive) which will operate above the Acrtic Circle during the winter months and therefore mostly in the dark at very low OAT (Outside Air Temp,) thus I'll need to have more wattage for heated body gear (safety,) lighting and electronics. I've read here in this thread that heated gear overloads the 280watt system when operating with lights and other equipment. Just trying to get the most possible as I don't want to run the secondary alt as primary power. Using a split buss system with secondary alt and large battery mounted to and driven off the final drive, which only work when underway though. Since my post, have found what I believe (still checking) is a BMW cross references document which allow me to use the F650 Dakar 400watt system as a bolt on to a 2008 and later XC.

If anyone want a Snowbike (Timbersled drive) based on a 650 X let me know as it will lower the project cost and make the adaptation available to the market.

Cheer,
David
Tracks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #3935
Erik RS
Three Wheel Maniac

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Disagree, same p/n for the alloy subframes:

46 51 7696692

And we've built the steel XCo subframes onto XChallenges and everything fitted like the proverbial glove

Xtankteam™

Proud sponsor of the Sibirsky Extreme Project
Erik RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #3936
Tracks1
Arctic Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik RS View Post

46 51 7696692

And we've built the steel XCo subframes onto XChallenges and everything fitted like the proverbial glove
Erik, Thanks
Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #3937
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik RS View Post

46 51 7696692

Then why the two separate rear rack options from Touratech for the models? I know for a fact the Country rack from touratech WILL NOT fit a Challenge and vice versa. I assumed all other attachments were the same just the rear most end was actually different.

To clarify : is it possible you are both right?

jjmead1 screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 05:43 PM Reason: last sentence added
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #3938
Tracks1
Arctic Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post
Then why the two separate rear rack options from Touratech for the models? I know for a fact the Country rack from touratech WILL NOT fit a Challenge and vice versa. I assumed all other attachments were the same just the rear most end was actually different.

Here's the data below:
No. Description____Supplement Qty Part Number_Notes
01 Frame rear section, aluminum 1 46517696692 All X-Ch
01 Frame rear section, aluminum 1 46517696692 2007 X-Co
01 Frame rear section, aluminum 1 46517696692 2008 X-Co
01 Frame rear section, steel____ 1 46517716439 2008 X-Co
01 Frame rear section, aluminum 1 46517696692 All X-mo

Here's the data ref link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do...0195%29&arch=0

Second posting attempt, hope it doesn't post twice.

Tracks1 screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 08:15 PM Reason: format repair
Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #3939
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks1 View Post
Here's the data below:
No. Description____Supplement Qty Part Number_Notes
01 Frame rear section, aluminum 1 46517696692 All X-Ch
01 Frame rear section, aluminum 1 46517696692 2007 X-Co
01 Frame rear section, aluminum 1 46517696692 2008 X-Co
01 Frame rear section, steel____ 1 46517716439 2008 X-Co
01 Frame rear section, aluminum 1 46517696692 All X-mo

Here's the data ref link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do...0195%29&arch=0

Second posting attempt, hope it doesn't post twice.
Yea, but with all due respect. I trust the knowledge gained in this thread waaayy more than anything gleaned from BMW or a dealer. WE actually own and ride these bikes, those BMW and dealer types have just HEARD of our bikes.

Maybe I will track down a Country owner for a match up in real life....snooker is down the road a bit, perhaps if we make a few he will oblige a test fit to his Country.

But we are a few months from ripping apart my bike, I am still putting miles on it, and will want to properly test it in real world applications. Still think I can beat the price currently offered, but many people have probably said that before.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #3940
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:

The rear racks will differ due to fitting to the passenger footpeg mounts on the steel rear subframe of the xco. At least, that is the difference in the H&B rear frame.
mikecbrxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #3941
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecbrxx View Post
The rear racks will differ due to fitting to the passenger footpeg mounts on the steel rear subframe of the xco. At least, that is the difference in the H&B rear frame.
Sorry, I meant these :

049-0310 G650X-Country large luggage rack (not X-Challenge)

049-0104 Large luggage rack BMW G650X Challenge

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2078/Luggage-Racks
Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #3942
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry, I meant these :

049-0310 G650X-Country large luggage rack (not X-Challenge)

049-0104 Large luggage rack BMW G650X Challenge

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2078/Luggage-Racks
Ok. That is nothing to do with the frame itself but it is to do with the seat and rear plastics. I have converted an xco to an xch so I know there is no difference in these top mounting points.

Mike
Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #3943
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,035
Quote:
Yea, but with all due respect. I trust the knowledge gained in this thread waaayy more than anything gleaned from BMW or a dealer. WE actually own and ride these bikes, those BMW and dealer types have just HEARD of our bikes.

Maybe I will track down a Country owner for a match up in real life....snooker is down the road a bit, perhaps if we make a few he will oblige a test fit to his Country.

But we are a few months from ripping apart my bike, I am still putting miles on it, and will want to properly test it in real world applications. Still think I can beat the price currently offered, but many people have probably said that before.
I'll be interested to see what you end up with as a product and the price.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #3944
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecbrxx View Post
Ok. That is nothing to do with the frame itself but it is to do with the seat and rear plastics. I have converted an xco to an xch so I know there is no difference in these top mounting points.

Mike
I would very much like to see those pictures having owned both bikes. That would be really cool to see. If you haven't posted them would you mind?
Old 09-15-2012, 02:34 AM   #3945
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I would very much like to see those pictures having owned both bikes. That would be really cool to see. If you haven't posted them would you mind?
Look here. This album is not complete yet but there are some images here of the conversion and a recent trip on the converted bike.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1110488...CK30q5jR39SPOQ

Mike