Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #4006
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 459
I there a check engine light on these bikes. will a broken or disconnected iat sensor set it off? anybody know symptoms of brokwn iat sensor
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #4007
Antti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Any tips for waterpump overhaul?

Frame covers two rear bolts of case, so do I have to drop engine or remove it from frame?
Or can the shaft be just pulled out and then change seals and stick new shaft in to pinnion?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #4008
imeny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
If you want to change the water pump, you need to remove the swingarm

[/QUOTE]
imeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #4009
compositeboy
What, me worry?

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona View Post
Sounds logical! what formula would they use?
17"Xmm = 431.79999999999995 1946 mm = 76.61417322834646"
It's the rolling perimeter of the tire used to calibrate the speedo.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #4010
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
I would think that any fuel injected motorcycle fuel filter would work.
if the one in the XCh had two nipples as an in-line type of filter - yes
but it has a male and a female side and gets 'strapped' down
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #4011
Antti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quite a job to get acces to pump.
Needed to remove rear swing arm, exhaust, foot rest, side stand and that cast part in frame wich keeps half of the bike together. Also needed to loosen rear frame.

Well, new shaft, seals, pinnion drive and propeller should do the job. Bike is driven 27 tkm.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #4012
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
The first image looks bad to me...

I had some issues with getting my front to feel better and found that the brake line from the bars to the right of the frame would create an air pockit when bleading unless I leaned the bike to the right and shifted the handel bars the other direction durring the ABS blead cycle.

Once I figured this out I then blead them twice, once from both sides, then took the bike for a ride and kicked the ABS on a few times in a gravel patch near my place. then a second ABS only blead with the bike leaned to the right side.

After that I it felt better than it ever did when taking it to the shop to have them blead it...

Good luck. and you can always consider giving up the ABS if it's to much of a pain.
"then a second ABS only blead with the bike leaned to the right side"

ok, this might sounds daft, but how does one bleed only the ABS? as there (or at least on my ABS unit) was no bleed screw to be seen/ felt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antti View Post
That outer rubber is only to prevent seal getting dust etc. So theres a proper shaft seal in a bit deeper.
I'd say just get rid of abs, it would also save some weight.

Did they say where from adjustable levers could be found for XC?
If I recal right levers from som Yamaha should fit?
does anyone have anything negative (ideas/ thoughts) about disconnecting the front ABS?
the rear works very well/ bleeds easily) i would be tempted to leave it in place.

as for the levers, they failed to mention which would replace them, i have pulled them off, and will see about matching them up to a set, as im back in se asia

thank you for you suggestions and replies...
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #4013
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I put in my longest day on my X and now I know its time to get some seat work done. I have a low seat on there now but figure I will sell my stock one and send the pan from the low seat out this winter to get worked over
So who has a custom seat, who made it, what was the cost, your review of it, and most importantly any photos?
Thanks
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #4014
Sno Dawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
long day on the XChallenge - sore butt fixed!

I feel your pain - I had and stock seat on my bike for a couple of weeks ride in the southern California deserts. My ass was so sore I could not walk and I totally knew what Jimmy Lewis meant when he told me that he spends most of his time on his bike standing up.

I bought a low XMoto seat and it was a bit softer and then got a great deal on a Renazco seat - all suede - black w/ blue stichting. OH MY GOD!! I am in heaven. The seat is made so well - and is super comfortable. I went moto camping this past weekend & I spent about 8.5 hours in the saddle slabbing it the past day and a half with my Wolfman bag on the back to lean against. I can not only walk today, I cut the lawn AND took my FJ40 out for a long drive.

RENAZCO - worth the price & worth the wait.

This is my second Renazco(had a suede one on a 640 Adventure and I would buy one for every bike that I own in the future.

Teeth to the wind,
Sno Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
I put in my longest day on my X and now I know its time to get some seat work done. I have a low seat on there now but figure I will sell my stock one and send the pan from the low seat out this winter to get worked over
So who has a custom seat, who made it, what was the cost, your review of it, and most importantly any photos?
Thanks
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5 V6 - RED SLED- RTT - 3 inch lift
Sno Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #4015
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Thanks
I have a Seat Concepts redo arriving tomorrow and will review it once I get some miles on it. MizzouRider got his a while back and seems to like it. Unfortunately, they don't make pre-made covers for them so it needs to be a custom job ($250, rather than their typical $169). Typically, their turnaround is pretty quick but they got backed up when I sent mine in and they had it for a month. But because of that, he only charged me $200 - and that was without me bitching (I have another bike to ride). I don't think you can go wrong with Renazco, however. But I was impatient and wanted to save a couple bucks. If you're thinking of going suede, I'd probably lean toward the Renazco only because Seat Concepts upcharge is a lot more for suede. But I really haven't heard anything negative about either company. I'm looking forward to getting my seat back tomorrow!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #4016
dantroop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Thanks
Got mine from Corbin. I have a post here. Not sure how to link to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantroop View Post
Couldn't stand the stock seat and couldn't wait to get a replacement so I rode down to Corbin Friday. Here it is.

Can't even compare it to the orig. took about 5 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dantroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #4017
LangKat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Got my seat done by RayZ, without doubt the best money spent on my bike.
LangKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:55 AM   #4018
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I have a Seat Concepts redo arriving tomorrow and will review it once I get some miles on it. MizzouRider got his a while back and seems to like it. Unfortunately, they don't make pre-made covers for them so it needs to be a custom job ($250, rather than their typical $169). Typically, their turnaround is pretty quick but they got backed up when I sent mine in and they had it for a month. But because of that, he only charged me $200 - and that was without me bitching (I have another bike to ride). I don't think you can go wrong with Renazco, however. But I was impatient and wanted to save a couple bucks. If you're thinking of going suede, I'd probably lean toward the Renazco only because Seat Concepts upcharge is a lot more for suede. But I really haven't heard anything negative about either company. I'm looking forward to getting my seat back tomorrow!
I love the seat concepts seat. Very comfortable. I'm tall though, so I didn't mind them taking my stock seat and making it taller.. Took a 7 day trip a few weeks ago, we had a few 10 hour days on the bikes. The seat it amazing..
I had a few cell phone pics of the seat, but deleted them. This is the best one I have.. I asked them to take the "forward slide" out of it.. along with lots of extra width towards the back. Still slim up front, don't notice any change when I'm on the pegs.
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #4019
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Alright I think seat concepts is going to be the winner for my seat. My next question is what seat is worth more to sell. My BMW low seat or the stock seat? Both are in damn near perfect condition.
Or if there is someone on here with a beat stock seat with a really good condition pan who wants to do a trade for one of mine in good shape plus a bit of cash shoot me a pm
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #4020
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 729
Thumb how does one bleed only the ABS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol View Post
"then a second ABS only blead with the bike leaned to the right side"

ok, this might sounds daft, but how does one bleed only the ABS? as there (or at least on my ABS unit) was no bleed screw to be seen/ felt

does anyone have anything negative (ideas/ thoughts) about disconnecting the front ABS?
the rear works very well/ bleeds easily) i would be tempted to leave it in place.

as for the levers, they failed to mention which would replace them, i have pulled them off, and will see about matching them up to a set, as im back in se asia

thank you for you suggestions and replies...

...how does one bleed only the ABS? ... It isn't really the ABS unit that is getting the bled; it’s the hex air screw at the top of the reservoir. I find that when I kick on the ABS several times before I bled the second time this seems to bring out the air that is stuck in the lines between the ABS and the brake cylinder.

I have had to do the bled kick on the ABS re-bled 3 times to get it 100% when I had the hole master cylinder off the bike for a new one before I realized this was an issue with my bled process.

jonnyc21 screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 11:43 AM Reason: missed some info
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote