Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #4021
aussiestrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Question Torque settings for Front brake caliper bolts??

Changed my front pads on my Xch today. When I went to put the circlip type thingy back, I couldn't locate a groove for it on the pin that holds the pads in.

Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know the correct torque setting for the caliper bolts? Cheers
Previous rides: ST1300; G650Xch; KLR650; ST1100; WR250F; K100TIC; K100RS; K75s; R100RS; R100/7; K100; XV1000; GS450s; GT250
aussiestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #4022
G-RDR
gedubya

Oddometer: 44
Torque

50 NM

Believe there is a Torque List for the X on this site.

Don't remember a groove, just a hole. Pin goes in between the inner pad and the inner caliper housing. Bend over faces the wheel.

Here's a picture: http://s1357.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6200d36.jpg

Good Luck!
G-RDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #4023
aussiestrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-RDR View Post
50 NM

Believe there is a Torque List for the X on this site.

Don't remember a groove, just a hole. Pin goes in between the inner pad and the inner caliper housing. Bend over faces the wheel.

Here's a picture: http://s1357.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6200d36.jpg

Good Luck!
Sweet - thanks G rider
Previous rides: ST1300; G650Xch; KLR650; ST1100; WR250F; K100TIC; K100RS; K75s; R100RS; R100/7; K100; XV1000; GS450s; GT250
aussiestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #4024
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol View Post
"then a second ABS only blead with the bike leaned to the right side"

ok, this might sounds daft, but how does one bleed only the ABS? as there (or at least on my ABS unit) was no bleed screw to be seen/ felt

does anyone have anything negative (ideas/ thoughts) about disconnecting the front ABS?
the rear works very well/ bleeds easily) i would be tempted to leave it in place.

as for the levers, they failed to mention which would replace them, i have pulled them off, and will see about matching them up to a set, as im back in se asia

thank you for you suggestions and replies...
I'm not sure if I'm getting it right but I believe the ABS works with both wheels or none, so disconnecting one is formula for problems. I understand that the system detects differential of speed between the wheels.

Now if I'm not getting your questions please feel free to ignore me

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #4025
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX View Post
I understand that the system detects differential of speed between the wheels.
Are you sure? On the G-X? I thought that the system on the larger bikes only.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #4026
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Stock exhaust measurments

Hey,
I dont have my stock handy but am hoping someone could give me some measurements of the length and diameter of the stock can. One from tip to tip, one just from where its all the same diameter, and one of the diameter. Or any others you think of that I may have forgot
Thanks
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #4027
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 515
Bought an extra aluminum subframe from a fellow inmate. Hope to begin making a fixture early next year.We will be using round 1" steel tubing. Probably adding more reinforcements than stock, and keeping the threads the same to allow for heli coils should shit go wrong, allowing for on the road fixes as it were. Making runs of 5-6.

I am very interested in making the rack work seamlessly with the Wolfman pannier system, those guys are up the road a bit and make great stuff. I was hoping to get the fixture started earlier but we went and bought another factory so I am going to be busy moving.

I hope to touch base with an XCountry owner at this time to see what would be involved in making one for that as well. I guess there is a difference in width pointed out by Tbarstow, and personal experience owning both. ( snooker be prepared to receive a " hey quick take your bike apart" PM.)
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #4028
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Are you sure? On the G-X? I thought that the system on the larger bikes only.
fairly sure (99.9% sure), its the only way they can now whether the wheels are sliding without a sensor under the tyre

plus otherwise they wouldn't bother trying to invent something that has ABS on one wheel only as showcased on one husky ... (it was the front BTW, as it seems the one that makes more sense of road, due to rear being used locked to turn and etc)

However, I'm no expert

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #4029
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX View Post
fairly sure (99.9% sure), its the only way they can now whether the wheels are sliding without a sensor under the tyre

plus otherwise they wouldn't bother trying to invent something that has ABS on one wheel only as showcased on one husky ... (it was the front BTW, as it seems the one that makes more sense of road, due to rear being used locked to turn and etc)

However, I'm no expert
I am no expert either. I thought it was a formula like, "if speed is >8 kph (5 mph) AND wheel isn't rotating, then activate ABS on wheel not moving".
Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #4030
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Again, no expert. I thought abs could work in 2 ways, comparing the relative speeds of different wheels to detect when one is locked up, but also with a rule similar to: if declaration is greater than x then wheel is about to lock so release brake. I thought bikes tended to have the latter but could be wrong.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #4031
Hill Billy
Part-time Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Again, no expert. I thought abs could work in 2 ways, comparing the relative speeds of different wheels to detect when one is locked up, but also with a rule similar to: if declaration is greater than x then wheel is about to lock so release brake. I thought bikes tended to have the latter but could be wrong.
How could it possibly know what surface you are riging on?
Hill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #4032
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Billy View Post
How could it possibly know what surface you are riging on?
It doesn't. That is why abs is a liability off road. I have read several reviews of abs on a number of bikes cutting in too early and giving longer stopping distances in the dry than a skilled rider can achieve without. Supports the idea that the system is programmed with a maximum deceleration.

Not an expert so I could be wrong.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #4033
slide
A nation in despair

Jester,

I've seen those tests and it's true, but the tests were unfair to ABS, IMO. The reason was that the testers knew they were being tested. For example, the setup is one rides toward a spot and then applies max braking w/ and w/o ABS on. Pro riders such as racers or their equivalents working at mags can, after a few tries, out do the ABS - slightly.

However, that doesn't, IMO, reflect real world where the need to braking isn't foretold and you don't get a practice run or two to feel the surface.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #4034
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Not knocking abs. I don't have it on mine but that was not a deliberate decision, I just bought a bike at the right price. If I had the choice I would probably choose to have it for road use as I ride all year round in traffic so quite frequently have to jam on the brakes to avoid some numnuts who hasn't bothered to look. Abs would give me extra confidence in the wet, although I would probably use the extra safety margin to go faster.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #4035
slide
A nation in despair

I had ABS kick in once. I was riding under a bridge and needed to stop. It was winter. There was a patch of 'black ice' hidden in shadow which was under the rear wheel when I applied the brakes. The bike tracked true despite the ice.

I suspect it'd not have been a big deal had I not had ABS. After all, it was the rear wheel. I doubt I go faster on my bike with ABS than the one w/o but I like the idea that I can just clamp the brakes on & it'll modulate things appropriately. I don't view myself as an expert rider. I've been doing it enough, but, still, help is help.