Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #4261
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Yep, I just verified it, my 26mm ring spanner fits nicely on both the front and rear axle nuts. I believe some folks buy a KTM nut which is the same thread, but uses a 27mm tool. I think you can get a cool 27mm wrench that is also a tire lever, but I am not sure if I am remembering that correctly.

And all should note that my previous post remains unedited.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #4262
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
yep,

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...WT.MC_ID=10010
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #4263
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
Thanks!

I'll have to go look for the KTM nut. Any model info? There is a KTM dealer not that far away.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #4264
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Thanks!

I'll have to go look for the KTM nut. Any model info? There is a KTM dealer not that far away.
Any year KTM 450.

Take your front axel with you to ensure proper fit.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #4265
Ruis_Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
My friends '00 or '01 (not sure...) KTM 640 LC4 has the 27mm nuts that works for the Xch. These nuts have a flange on them and the OD of this flange causes the rear axle nut to not sit against the same surface that the stock 26mm nut does. Because of this, I (as others have done) turned this flange down on a lathe for it to sit properly. I do not think this is necessary, but I didn't like it otherwise. It takes all of 2 minutes, provided you have access to a lathe!

The front 27mm nut sits fine as-is but I turned both front are rear nuts the same just so I never would need to keep them axle-specific.

Best part about this mod is also having the cool tire iron / wrench.
Ruis_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #4266
Ruis_Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgiggle View Post
Hi everybody,
As the title says Caf's rear shock (XCO) has blown (the day we are back on the road after my Ohlins was fixed!).
Does anybody know a shop that would be able to fix it? We cross into Nicaragua today heading north, NYC being the finish.

Cheers
Pete (& Caf)
Pete & Caf,
Sorry I have no contacts for you but you may be able to get it repaired at a typical auto shop if it is just a O-ring problem (leaking from the body). More likely it is a rod seal and you will probably have to get a special part from HyperPro. A hydraulic rod seal of equivalent diameter may work in a pinch if you can find one, but there are about 1000 different designs out there! You could use an O-ring as a rod seal, but it will leak and it won't last long.

I'm a shock guy but have NO experience with HyperPro, so sorry I can't be more informative. Depending on the severity of the problem, you can probably ride it conservatively until you get a replacement seal, but by that point the bearing may be shot with ingesting dust.

I see on their website that this is probably an emulsion shock, so at least you won't have to locate the floating piston precisely when reassembling...meaning it's not that difficult to do...just don't put too much oil in. Hopefully, the manufacturer can help you out!

Good luck!
Ruis
Ruis_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 AM   #4267
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 799
Pete & Caf,

the US dealer info is

http://epmperf.com/contact.htm

i have purchased 2 shocks thru them, hopes this helps

stephen

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #4268
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Any year KTM 450.

Take your front axel with you to ensure proper fit.
Thanks T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruis_Rider View Post
My friends '00 or '01 (not sure...) KTM 640 LC4 has the 27mm nuts that works for the Xch. These nuts have a flange on them and the OD of this flange causes the rear axle nut to not sit against the same surface that the stock 26mm nut does. Because of this, I (as others have done) turned this flange down on a lathe for it to sit properly. I do not think this is necessary, but I didn't like it otherwise. It takes all of 2 minutes, provided you have access to a lathe!

The front 27mm nut sits fine as-is but I turned both front are rear nuts the same just so I never would need to keep them axle-specific.

Best part about this mod is also having the cool tire iron / wrench.
Cool. Thanks R_R.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #4269
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perun View Post
Hello, fellow X-challengers!

I am looking to upgrade seat on my X-C.
Since I am from Serbia, Renaczo is out of question, and RayZ is too expencive for me, when I calculate shipping and customs.
I have secret passage from Belgrade to Touratech, so I can ship my seat to them, and back, almost free of charge, so I am thinking about Kahedo seat.
Someone have any experience with Kahedo seat on X-C? Is there any difference in shape between low, standard and high option? Biggest problem with standard seat is forward sliding, and I hope to solve that with new seat..?
You could contact Tony Archer in the UK. He has reworked a lot of Xch seats for UK riders. He can do different spec seats but typical cost is under 100 plus postage.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #4270
Perun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
You could contact Tony Archer in the UK. He has reworked a lot of Xch seats for UK riders. He can do different spec seats but typical cost is under 100 plus postage.
I have very good upholster here, just I am not sure what to tell him, how to redisign the seat.

We have allready remodeled a seat, to be wider at the back and still narrow at the front, like Archers, Renaczo or RayZ seats I have seen on the net. But I am not happy, I dont like it. To much difference in width between back and front of the seat, and it boders me when I move back-front while riding. Also, when my but hops in a narrow place in the front (when riding supermoto style through twisties) I need to lift my but when I want to go back. The front is as narrow as stock, maybe I need to wide it a bit there.

Anyway, I thought to try a Kahedo seat, to see how it is, but I didnt find any comments about it on the net. Friend has it on KTM690R and i like it, but thats not same bike...

I hope my english amuses you. :)

And thanks for suggestion.
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #4271
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perun View Post
I hope my english amuses you. :)
Was involved in a merger once and gained a new boss that was a real jerk. He started giving me trouble about one of my foreign born employees whose English was not very good. I asked him in Spanish how many languages he spoke. Of course all I received was an angry face as an answer. Anybody that gives you trouble about your English or spelling on any forum isn't worth worrying about.

m

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up with you at the crash site.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #4272
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,382
It looks like McGiggle and Don't Shoot Me have Kahedo seats. Maybe PM them directly.

Here's a Kahedo seat thread for the G650X: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696097
Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #4273
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,143
As we all need just a bit more gas on our G650X bikes, I had been using the 1.3 gallon Acerbis fuel cell. It worked great and gave me a 200 mile range. But, it did make mounting my Wolfman bags goofy, so I need another solution.

So I saw that Butters hooked up the 1.1 gallon KTM side panel tank on his XCountry, so I decided to try it as well.

Here's the set up to heat and expand the tank with boiling water.

Here it is in action:

During the expansion, I kept mine hooked up to the air compressor and had the output pressure set at 25psi. The extra Acerbis gas cap I had laying around didn't quite seal, but this actually helped, as I could keep the air flowing into the tank and keep it at the size I wanted. I also applied some heat with a heat gun to the lower right hand portion of the tank so that it would bulge out further and remove the relief that is molded into the tank for the KTM sprocket.

After the heating and expansion was done:

The mounting using the stainless loops from McMaster-Carr was a bit flimsy, so I added a .25" thick aluminum plate and a few more stainless loops.

All done and ready for Baja in less than 2 weeks!

UPDATED 12/11/12: The first fill at the gas station was 1.3 gallons, the same as when I had the 1.3 gallon Acerbis fuel cell mounted on the side. At this point you're looking at the better part of a 180 mile range.

tbarstow screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 07:19 AM Reason: Updated tank volume.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #4274
pampaX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
As we all need just a bit more gas on our G650X bikes, I had been using the 1.3 gallon Acerbis fuel cell. It worked great and gave me a 200 mile range. But, it did make mounting my Wolfman bags goofy, so I need another solution.

So I saw that Butters hooked up the 1.1 gallon KTM side panel tank on his XCountry, so I decided to try it as well.

Here's the set up to heat and expand the tank with boiling water.

Here it is in action:

During the expansion, I kept mine hooked up to the air compressor and had the output pressure set at 25psi. The extra Acerbis gas cap I had laying around didn't quite seal, but this actually helped, as I could keep the air flowing into the tank and keep it at the size I wanted. I also applied some heat with a heat gun to the lower right hand portion of the tank so that it would bulge out further and remove the relief that is molded into the tank for the KTM sprocket.

After the heating and expansion was done:

The mounting using the stainless loops from McMaster-Carr was a bit flimsy, so I added a .25" thick aluminum plate and a few more stainless loops.

All done and ready for Baja in less than 2 weeks!

At this point, I don't know the additional volume of the extra tank, but with just 1 extra gallon, you're looking at the better part of a 180 mile range.
Really nice!

Do you know who sells those thanks? I have searched the web but can only find the front one only

My G650X Challenge, Bike build thread on
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post15320987
pampaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #4275
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,382
You can get them from justgastanks.com, it's a Baja Designs tank for a KTM: http://justgastanks.com/product_info...oducts_id=2830

Tim, it looks like you got a bit more volume out of your tank than I did. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a full 1.5 gallons additional. I'm told you can expand tanks over and over, so I am contemplating having another go at it. I still haven't polished off my first tank since I'm re-doing my mounting bracket, but it does appear that it will completely drain the auxiliary tank, making use of all the gas.

Although I tried to avoid it, I am also going to have to use my rack for mounting points. But with my HB racks, there is a plate that prevents me from mounting it as far back as you did. It looks like yours definitely clears your chain (not to mention it shouldn't drop that low.). I'm not sure if my new mount will totally clear my chainguard, but I think any contact isn't going to be an issue. I got more 1/4" stock yesterday from MMC, so I'm hoping I might get mine fabbed up today.

One question, do you have any concerns about not having a chainguard? I've debated taking mine off, but was a bit concerned about possible damage if I break a chain.