Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #4291
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
Goof on my part the first time...I forgot about the fuses under the seat. I was looking at the ones in my AP2...the 7.5amp fuse was blown, replaced with a spare 15 and now the marker light works, indicator light works and I hear the relay click over when I switch to highbeam. But the HID will still not come on, started it and tried again, still didn't work. I'll be checking things out with it but any othe suggestions would be appreciated.
A blown fuse suggests a short. With everything else, sounds like you might have a bad ballast. Swap the wires to the ballasts and see if the highbeam turns on with no low beam.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #4292
Erik RS
Three Wheel Maniac

Oddometer: 444
7,5 Amps is apparently too critical for starting up HID. In all the bikes I prepared with HID, I exchanged the 7,5 A fuse for a 15 A. Problem solved

Xtankteam™

Proud sponsor of the Sibirsky Extreme Project
Erik RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #4293
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
7,5 Amps is apparently too critical for starting up HID. In all the bikes I prepared with HID, I exchanged the 7,5 A fuse for a 15 A. Problem solved

A blown fuse suggests a short. With everything else, sounds like you might have a bad ballast. Swap the wires to the ballasts and see if the highbeam turns on with no low beam

Thanks gents. One issue fixed, researching the other and hope I didn't make an $$ problem with my wiring job. Oh well, learn by mistakes. Know where I might get a ballast alone if that's the problem? No way do I want to buy a whole set-up just for that if I can help it.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #4294
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
Know where I might get a ballast alone if that's the problem? No way do I want to buy a whole set-up just for that if I can help it.
Buy an inexpensive HID kit off of Ebay or Amazon for a couple of dollars. Then you have spare bulbs and ballasts.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #4295
Tammy
Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Here's some more help with the KTM rear axle nuts, part no. 50310099000 with pics including this one showing how the rear cap nut is turned down just a bit smaller.
But the real nugget on that link is the Scheffelmeir stainless steel wheel spacers

the rear axle nut off a WR250f is 27mm and fits without any work to it ... just an FYI
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #4296
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,383
Thanks Tammy.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #4297
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Ohlins Sale

I have no relation to this but figured I should mention it on here for anyone whos shopping for a new shock.
I only go in vendors once a month, and figure many are the same and will miss it.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846354
I bought my ohlins through a group buy last year and it was the best money ever spent. The price I paid was only slightly less than the $727 these guys are charging, and I had been looking for a year before buying one.
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #4298
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
Doesn't the Ohlins make the bike a bit taller? Seems like a good price, but I have been leaning toward getting a Hyperpro, possibly even a shortened one. Not sure I want something that will make the bike seem even taller since I'm a little fella.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #4299
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Doesn't the Ohlins make the bike a bit taller? Seems like a good price, but I have been leaning toward getting a Hyperpro, possibly even a shortened one. Not sure I want something that will make the bike seem even taller since I'm a little fella.
Yes. An Ohlins that is sprung properly will make the nike A LOT taller. Mine has a seat height of about 42". Just realize that putting 2 feet flat on the ground is really overrated.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #4300
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
the need for 2 feet flat on the ground is a nasty myth spread by some here as well as presumably well meaning outfits like MSF. I have no idea where it comes from except ignorance. I wonder how many tip overs occur due to some hapless new rider trying for two flat feet, finding one is over a depression, him losing his composure and going down on that side.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #4301
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
I hate to admit I'm such a poor mechanic. I swapped out chain and sprockets a while back. The front sprocket has no locking washer, or anything to keep that bolt in place.
I put some locktite on it, but it still makes me nervous.
Is there something I'm missing? Anyone else wonder about this? Just tighten it as much as you dare and go?
Thx..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #4302
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
Flat feet?!?! Who said anything about flat feet?

I'm 5'8" with an inseam < 30". I'm fine with tippy toes or one foot at a stoplight. But a 42" seat height! I think I'd have to put the sidestand down at lights. I'll probably go with the Hyperpro. I'm toying with a lower shock because for the riding I do, I think the confidence from a lower seat height would actually outweigh the loss of travel. My bike is likely getting close to 400 pounds, and it gets a bit unnerving on off camber or really rocky trails. I can only think of one time where I even came close to using all the suspension. Even then, I don't think a 1" lower shock would have made much difference, but the lower seat height would have been comforting.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #4303
slide
A nation in despair

If his seat height is really 42", the side stand won't work unless it's majorly extended.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #4304
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
If his seat height is really 42", the side stand won't work unless it's majorly extended.
My bike leans over pretty far on the sidestand. I usually do a side launch to get going (first gear, gas + clutch, stand up on left peg, swing right leg over) and the reverse to dismount the bike. Stoplights in high winds are interesting.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #4305
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
My bike leans over pretty far on the sidestand. I usually do a side launch to get going (first gear, gas + clutch, stand up on left peg, swing right leg over) and the reverse to dismount the bike. Stoplights in high winds are interesting.
I'll bet. We often have very high winds here. Riding the DRZ over freeway fly overs always was an adventure during those times. Even standing at a stoplight could be a challenge & that only had a 37" seat height.