Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #4426
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
Are most folks just running the stock alternator? I wonder with lighting, battery, electrical accessory advancements over the last few years whether the 280W is really still a limiting issue when "adventurizing" the X? For me, thinking heated hand grips, aux lighting, GPS power..maybe an accessory plug for heated vest.
Welcome!

Not heard of anyone actually doing the upgrade either.

I'm running a vest and grips without any issues. Just watch if you have the standard rad as it gets easily clogged (cover the slots in the fender) reducing the cooling and causing the fan to run a lot. The fan draws a fair amount of juice. Mind you, if it is hot enough to have the fan running a lot you probably won't be using your heated gear.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #4427
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
I have never ran into power issues either with Vest and grips on hi. Over the winter I am going to rig up a few extra cords so that I can run my GPS or charge my Ipod/Ipad off my battery tender lead. Those shouldnt draw much though.
Congrats on the X
I am in the process of planning a nice get away this summer through the back hills, yellowstone, and bears tooth hwy.
If you are planning on travel, start looking at seats
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #4428
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Welcome!

Not heard of anyone actually doing the upgrade either.

I'm running a vest and grips without any issues. Just watch if you have the standard rad as it gets easily clogged (cover the slots in the fender) reducing the cooling and causing the fan to run a lot. The fan draws a fair amount of juice. Mind you, if it is hot enough to have the fan running a lot you probably won't be using your heated gear.
Thanks Jester...certainly correct and the heated vest thing is more thinking worst case. More of an immediate concern is lighting improvements and getting it GPS ready. I'll have a look at the fender slots when I finally have it in my hands..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
......Congrats on the X
I am in the process of planning a nice get away this summer through the back hills, yellowstone, and bears tooth hwy.
If you are planning on travel, start looking at seats
Thanks Gum..sounds like a nice trip in the works. Already posted a flea market WTB ad for a low seat, which I know I'll want, but comfort and low are the ultimate goal. Checking on other various mfgs...

Bike mod planning is half the fun!

I'll do a search for sure, but either of you have a heated grip mfg recommendation? BMW?
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #4429
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

I'll do a search for sure, but either of you have a heated grip mfg recommendation?
Not sure if they are available in US but I have Oxford grips. They have just reduced a new range with a choice of grip patterns including "adventure" which is similar to many off road grips but harder rubber to last longer. The controller is clever in that it switches off the grips if the battery drops below 11V or if it detects the engine isn't running. This means that you can hook them straight to the battery without worying about running the battery flat by leaving them on. I connected mine through a switched relay, but only because I had already fitted a relay to power other accessories including the vest.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #4430
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 752
Thumb never any issues with stock for me.

Quote:
Hello all,

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a new-to-me 650X, low miles, non-ABS, and very stock (well a few farkles). I pick it up this weekend.

So my trip dreams for the bike are wide and far - so are the list of mods that are awash in my pea-like brain. I've read several of the "adventurizing" threads, farkle threads, used search, used Google search, and maybe I've missed some information on what I'm sure will be a long list of questions.

This whole alternator thing..I've read several threads regarding the alternator output on the X compared to, say, the Dakar. (280 .vs. 400W). Lots of threads on batteries too. There seemed to be lots of threads talking about an expensive OEM replacement Alt with proper BMW warning due to the mass changes, mentions of third party replacement stators, and various projects loading up electrical's on the X's alternator as stock. Many of these threads are of various vintage and it sounds like some may have tried alternator upgrades of some sort.

What I can't seem to find are any threads/reports of those that HAVE made the alternator changes/mods (regardless of which mod) and how it worked out (or didn't).

Are most folks just running the stock alternator? I wonder with lighting, battery, electrical accessory advancements over the last few years whether the 280W is really still a limiting issue when "adventurizing" the X? For me, thinking heated hand grips, aux lighting, GPS power..maybe an accessory plug for heated vest.

I read the index page and caught the link to Electrical questions, that suggests a company called Electrosport makes an upgrade - if I remember correctly - Colebatch mentioned in one of his threads of possibly upgrading to one at some point. but I may have missed any threads talking about results.

ADVRider is an awesome resource - hoping some of you X-veterans feel like schooling a newb, as I learn the ways of the 650X!
I don't know about the rest of the x crowd but I have gerbings jacket and gloves and there "Portable dual temp-controller" to keep me from pulling full draw on the bike. With a good battery and keeping the heat controller settings at or below about 75% and haven't had any issues. (put a battery tender on it at night just in case, but have done a 4+ day ADV ride without the tender and never had issues)

A thing to note is that other than the heat gear I still have a stock electrical setup. No extra lights, no modifications to the headlamp etc. So if your going to change things and draw more power than stock my setup might not work...

Good luck.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #4431
leoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Good distance between water hose and Leo Vince pipe

I know that several people have Leo Vince in their X Challenge, I have too, but I'm afraid about the distance between water hose and Leo Vince pipe because water hose could burn.

What is the good security distance between both ?

Thanks.
leoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #4432
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoc View Post
I know that several people have Leo Vince in their X Challenge, I have too, but I'm afraid about the distance between water hose and Leo Vince pipe because water hose could burn.

What is the good security distance between both ?

Thanks.
2 or 3cm. Check this distance often, as the pipe will move down by itself when you ride.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #4433
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
got my hotstart issue sorted, hadnt reset it correctly. had bike out and up few trails, great fun but the pirelli trail tyres are nto very good and got send down load cow shite for my troubles and lack fo grip

1 - Any ideas on best gear shift lever?

2 - Also anyone know where can get the right hand switch controls? someone dropped load timber and burst the hi/low beam switch.

3 - some mitas e09 on their way to me also.

4 - whats best tank bag?

Finally,

5 -whats best fitment for gps 12v etc? has anyone got some neat and tidys etups?
Old 02-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #4434
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero View Post
got my hotstart issue sorted, hadnt reset it correctly. had bike out and up few trails, great fun but the pirelli trail tyres are nto very good and got send down load cow shite for my troubles and lack fo grip

1 - Any ideas on best gear shift lever? F650GS or Dakar
2 - Also anyone know where can get the right hand switch controls? someone dropped load timber and burst the hi/low beam switch. BMW
3 - some mitas e09 on their way to me also.

4 - whats best tank bag? Wolfman Enduro or TT
Finally,

5 -whats best fitment for gps 12v etc? has anyone got some neat and tidys etups? RAM Ball on Handlebar clamps, then any fitment, Power wire to battery
There you go

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #4435
ajmac
gorilla balancin on a pin

Oddometer: 58
help needed

hi i have just bought the Xc and am fitting the TT safari tank.

having read the threads am confused which way is best to install the TT way or the VENT method?

any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated as i HAFC!!

(other mods i have so far but not installed yet are,schefelmyers case saver,TT bashplate,kickstand hard part and enlarger,wilbers suspension rear and new springs front.
setting bike up for apc rally in may!!!!

are there any MUST haves you all reccomend
cheers al
Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #4436
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmac View Post

having read the threads am confused which way is best to install the TT way or the VENT method?

(other mods i have so far but not installed yet are,schefelmyers case saver,TT bashplate,kickstand hard part and enlarger,wilbers suspension rear and new springs front.

cheers al
I plumbed the TT tank into the main tank vent. The main reason was I did not want to have to take the entire bike apart and drill holes into the main tank. Now that I have removed the TT tank, I know I made the correct decision.

Issues that I did run into by plumbing it into the main tank vent:

Uneven draw down of the TT tank via the siphon.
Aspirating the siphon when the TT tank was low.
Siphon leaks causing fuel to not transfer to the main tank.
Main tank gas cap leakage due to overfilling from the TT tank.
Main tank vent assembly requires modification to flow enough fuel.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #4437
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmac View Post

cheers al
I was extra careful and did it the TT way and the only thing I can say is that I have to keep the valves closed tell the main tank is down a bit or I leak (need to repair/rebuild the cap). Other than that it works great but it was a commitment knowing that I was putting a hole in the tank.

good luck.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #4438
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Sounds like either fitment works fine - I have mine through the vent without issue. BUT the rubber sealing ring on the fuel cap deteriorates over time and causes problems with either method. Solution is to buy a new cap from BMW or source some 2mm thick viton rubber sheet and cut yourself a new one (a lot cheaper)

Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #4439
Tomdog
Mapaholic

Oddometer: 304
Mine is plumbed the TT way (bought it installed like that) but would prefer the vent method as it should drain the TT tank first.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #4440
BigHairyYorkshireman
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik RS View Post
If it's for manufacturing one, I personally wouldn't make it smaller than 19,97 mm. 0,03 mm play at that diameter in a bearing is max imho
Noted, but it was actually for prototyping some heavy duty crash bungs. If anyone (oothef?) has corresponding dimensions for rear axle, I can have a prototype set made for those too.

Cheers.
BigHairyYorkshireman is offline   Reply With Quote