User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #4576
Boughton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
GPS Hardwire

Macadamia Thanks for the diagram. Question though, where you have "vest", "GPS", "grip warmers" are those cigarette plug outlets?
Boughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #4577
benjero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
650 X (moto) radiator hose

Hello friends,
I've been reading this thread for a couple years now, ever since I started researching the x-moto I went on to buy. I haven't posted much at all since I'm very much a noob, but I'm looking for some help from fellow x-riders, and this is the best place for it.
Overall, I'm very very happy with the bike, but last night (8pm on a chilly evening) after riding 3 miles, I felt like somebody threw a water balloon at my left leg - the coolant hose disconnected from the reservoir, and spilled its content all over the road in bourgeois Brentwood. I found a spot under a streetlamp and stopped to investigate, then called up my girlfriend to deliver my tools and bottle of coolant. I reconnected the hose, made sure it was on there tight, and hopped back on my ride. After 5-10 minutes, the coolant light went on - then turned off as soon as I got up to speed on the freeway. Upon getting back home, I can see the hose is still leaking near the connection (but the hose isn't loose). Any ideas what might have caused a blowout like that, or why the hose might still be leaking? The bike has 8500 miles on it, should the gaskets be replaced on the radiator hose attachment?

Thanks in advance! I'm in east Los Angeles, if anybody is interested in riding sometime, you can PM me.

Ben
benjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #4578
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Ditch the stock hose clip and go with a traditional jubilee clamp.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #4579
benjero
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Ditch the stock hose clip and go with a traditional jubilee clamp.
I wish it was that simple, but the culprit seems to be the attachment above the hose itself. I tried finding it on the microfiche, but the level of detail on their drawings is a bit lacking and doesn't illustrate the part I'm talking about. The stock clamp seems to be holding tight, thought I could definitely replace it for safety and practicality's sake.
I'll try taking pictures tonight when I get home from work.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #4580
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boughton View Post
Macadamia Thanks for the diagram. Question though, where you have "vest", "GPS", "grip warmers" are those cigarette plug outlets?
The diagram was found online a couple of years ago... Those were examples of things that could be powered from the set up. At the time of the photos, I had a Zumo 650 GPS, Valentine One Radar Receiver, and a set of Denali 2 lights...
Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #4581
benjero
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjero View Post
I wish it was that simple, but the culprit seems to be the attachment above the hose itself. I tried finding it on the microfiche, but the level of detail on their drawings is a bit lacking and doesn't illustrate the part I'm talking about. The stock clamp seems to be holding tight, thought I could definitely replace it for safety and practicality's sake.
I'll try taking pictures tonight when I get home from work.
Below, you can see an image of the leaking connection:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10368...KvlmYz9i9PMwwE
Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #4582
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
The best way I found is to purchase a "automotive relay" from radio shack and use a Centech AP-1 or similar wiring block for the bike. Use the diagram below...
Nice information MacNut! (and don't ever change your avatar please! )

I have several jury rigged electrical add-ons including one I just added for my Garmin Montana.

Before I got the Montana, I already had a cigarette adapter socket under my seat that has a Powerlet plug on the other end that just dangles next to the Powerlet outlet on the side when I'm not using it. The Powerlet outlet is always HOT so I figured this setup would be perfect for charging my USB devices at night when on trips. In that case I always have a tank bag on so I run the USB cable into the tank bag and just leave it there and the other end is always plugged into a USB to cigarette adapter that is plugged into the cigarette socket under my seat. Then if I want to charge a USB device I plug in the cable dangling by the Powerlet socket. At night for a couple of hours I don't want to turn my key (and headlights) on just to charge a low current device for a short while, though I try to charge it while I ride and rely on Bluetooth if possible.

The point is I figured for the Montana I would just tap into this same circuit which is unswitched, which means it stays powered on when I turn the key off. I'm starting to think this will bite me someday and I'll forget to unplug the powerlet and leave the Garmin attached, so I'm thinking I need to pick it off of a different place that is key switched. p.s. I think somebody measured the Garmin and when off it only takes a few mA of current (was it 8mA or ?) so it's not a huge deal as long as you turn it off.

The Montana rugged mount has a long battery lead with an inline fuse, a ground, and an audio jack output (for turn by turn directions). It also has 2 more data wires you can simply seal as you probably won't use them. In my case I want to move the rugged mount to another vehicle so I wanted a connector in the power lines to I could quickly disconnect and remove it. So below the Y in the cable where the wires become separated, I cut off only the 2 power lines and installed a waterproof 2-pin automotive connector (Delphi Weatherpak). Tip: use Liquid Electrical Tape from Gardner Bender (at Ace hardware) to fully seal the wires at connectors yet it remains flexible since it is rubbery. This stuff is awesome! The connector is kinda bulky though but I coiled up the excess wire and stashed it all under the handlebars in the center.

I also have AdvMonster.com aux LED lights (< 2 A) that I wired into a SWITCHED circuit at the fuse box by using a Posi-Tap at a wire coming into a fuse. If you want to be quick you could also pick off of an existing fuse but you must carefully decide which fuse to pick from based on what else is on the circuit (I didn't want to pick the engine management circuit for example!). I measured how current much different circuits ACTUALLY drew to pick one with a lot of margin, and did this by using the very handy $13 mini fuse circuit tester from Harbor Freight :

But now I'm thinking I should revisit this and put in something cleaner. I always had my eye on the sealed 3 circuit kit from Eastern Beaver as it is really slick and takes a lot of the work out of it for you. Note it has a switching lead that you connect to a switched location and that controls the relay so it is only closed when the switch is on:

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 03-22-2013 at 12:54 PM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #4583
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 132
Fuses -- JUST SAY NO!

Instead of fuses get a PDM. It has eight circuits, 5A-15A each. Three of them automatically shut off three minutes after you shut off the ignition, four are always on, fifth is custom switchable. Instead of blowing a fuse, it opens the circuit until you solve the issue -- no fuses! I put mine under the seat. Love it! Hate fuses!
http://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules
Aerostich sells them too, so does RocketMoto (dot com) -- good people.
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #4584
Boughton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Wiring off the taillight for switched power

I'm looking for the taillight power source to install my switched power source and I noticed this plug thats not being used. Anyone know what this is for?

Boughton screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 12:08 PM Reason: photo
Boughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #4585
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boughton View Post
I'm looking for the taillight power source to install my switched power source and I noticed this plug thats not being used. Anyone know what this is for? [IMG]IMGP2015.JPG[/IMG]
I cannot see your image but if I remember correctly, it is the plug for the charcoal canister for emission control.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #4586
Crisd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
2007 vs 2009 ecu?

Gentlemen, I have a question concerning the differences between the ecu's used over the years on the G650X. Basically is there any difference at all over the years and if not, does any one know why the Power Commander V list only the 2009? If there is some difference, does anyone know what it is and can I plug a 2009 ECU onto a 2007?
Crisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #4587
aprilian
Can I change this?

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisd View Post
Gentlemen, I have a question concerning the differences between the ecu's used over the years on the G650X. Basically is there any difference at all over the years and if not, does any one know why the Power Commander V list only the 2009? If there is some difference, does anyone know what it is and can I plug a 2009 ECU onto a 2007?
That has been covered in great detail in http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654767
Short answer, if you don't want to read the whole thread - it works, no diff on ECUs.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #4588
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisd View Post
I seem to recall the other option was the Booster Plug... though I don't know if its better or not, but price and what I remember of the reviews here on ADVRider make it sound appealing.

http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/bmw-...nder-20c1.html
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #4589
benjero
Adventurer

Thermostat Leak

Sorry to revive an old post, but I'm looking for some help on a similar topic.

I'm having an issue where the connection on the Thermostat housing keep leaking and spraying coolant. Anybody have an idea how this might be solved?

In this picture, it's the part right above the number 4.

Thank you much. If i can't fix it myself, I'll have to pay $$$ to have it towed to the dealership... :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlr View Post

Remove #1, fluid will drain from motor.

Remove expansion tank lid and then tank. #2,#3

Remove hose off bottom of rad #4.

benjero screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 11:48 AM
Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #4590
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjero View Post
Sorry to revive an old post, but I'm looking for some help on a similar topic.

I'm having an issue where the connection on the Thermostat housing keep leaking and spraying coolant. Anybody have an idea how this might be solved?

In this picture, it's the part right above the number 4.

Thank you much. If i can't fix it myself, I'll have to pay $$$ to have it towed to the dealership... :-/
What is leaking? The hose connection or the plastic housing?
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote