Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #4651
LangKat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
Here's what I'm having to do:

Local shop will discharge gas from shock to reposition hose and temporarily mount with EPM Performance bracket (~$75) that will allow oil reservoir and TT subframe to play nice, tighten hose in new position, ship back to EPM Performance to be recharged, permanently mount when shipped back from EPM Performance.

A major hassle, but looks like my only option.
Turns out my shock had a leaky bladder... Nothing to do with the subframe. Here some pics of mine. Sorry for the poor quality.

LangKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #4652
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by LangKat View Post
Turns out my shock had a leaky bladder... Nothing to do with the subframe. Here some pics of mine. Sorry for the poor quality.

"Bladder". What bladder? Where exactly was it leaking? I'm interested because I just installed a new Yacugar on my XCountry and the hose going into the banjo fitting itself (on the remote reservoir) was seeping a little so I tightened it. Not the banjo bolt fitting or the bolt, but just where the stainless hose screws into the banjo bolt.

Is that the stock mounting bracket and mounted position as sent from Hyperpro?

Also, the Yacugar has a totally different mounting position than their Hyperpro sister shock. It is just below the exhaust pipe in front of the subframe. This puts a really weird angle stress on the hose and banjo bolt, straight away from the reservoir. Not twisting the banjo bolt (like trying to unthread it), but rather try to go the direction of the axis of the bolt, 90 degrees away from the rez.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 05:22 PM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #4653
LangKat
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
"Bladder". What bladder? Where exactly was it leaking? I'm interested because I just installed a new Yacugar on my XCountry and the hose going into the banjo fitting itself (on the remote reservoir) was seeping a little so I tightened it. Not the banjo bolt fitting or the bolt, but just where the stainless hose screws into the banjo bolt.

Is that the stock mounting bracket and mounted position as sent from Hyperpro?

Also, the Yacugar has a totally different mounting position than their Hyperpro sister shock. It is just below the exhaust pipe in front of the subframe. This puts a really weird angle stress on the hose and banjo bolt, straight away from the reservoir. Not twisting the banjo bolt (like trying to unthread it), but rather try to go the direction of the axis of the bolt, 90 degrees away from the rez.
My understanding is that the bladder separates the gas from the oil in the internals of the reservoir. Mine had a tiny hole so the shock lost gas pressure. Definitely not related to the problem you had.

It is the stock bracket from Hyperpro but mounted a bit differently because of the steel subframe.

Can you send a picture of your Yacugar's mounting position; sounds like a strange place to mount the reservoir.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #4654
4Rider
Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer: 164
Fresno X-Challenge Info?

My son has been looking for an X-Challenge for a while, and located one for sale at a BMW shop in Fresno. He put a deposit on it to hold it until we can get up there to look it over. His work schedule means he's tapped me to drive up and look the bike over for him, and to buy it if it proves out.

I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar with the bike, and can provide any background info. The photos of the bike shows an "ADV" sticker, so I'm hoping one of you all has some info. It will be a 10-12 hour round trip to drive up to look at the bike, and while I absolutely don't mind making the drive to pick up a decent X-Ch, I sure wouldn't mind knowing ahead of time if there was some good reason to pass.

Confidentiality of all PM's guaranteed!

Thanks,

Mark
Old 04-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #4655
LangKat
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rider View Post
My son has been looking for an X-Challenge for a while, and located one for sale at a BMW shop in Fresno. He put a deposit on it to hold it until we can get up there to look it over. His work schedule means he's tapped me to drive up and look the bike over for him, and to buy it if it proves out.

I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar with the bike, and can provide any background info. The photos of the bike shows an "ADV" sticker, so I'm hoping one of you all has some info. It will be a 10-12 hour round trip to drive up to look at the bike, and while I absolutely don't mind making the drive to pick up a decent X-Ch, I sure wouldn't mind knowing ahead of time if there was some good reason to pass.

Confidentiality of all PM's guaranteed!

Thanks,

Mark
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post16623442

Check the post by Colebatch under it as well
Old 04-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #4656
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,329
http://www.bmwoffresno.com/new_vehic...13&pov=3168656

Looks mostly stock other than some handguards and smaller TT engine protection parts adjustable shift lever. Still has the airshock.

Price seems a bit high for the private market, but probably about right from a dealer. I haven't really heard about too many issues with cracked subframes except on bikes that have been heavily loaded and ridden pretty aggressively. Who knows what has happened in that bikes life, but given the mileage and relatively few farkles, I'd be surprised if it had subframe issues. It certainly never hurts to check.

I would be certain ALL the recalls have been done, which is likely since it is coming from a BMW dealer - they should be able to tell you. I would also be sure to start it when it is COLD to make sure it doesn't have any cold start issues. If it doesn't idle well right off the bat, make sure THEY fix it. Maybe try to get there in the a.m., as I imagine Fresno is already starting to heat up. Frequently an easy fix, but sometimes very difficult to diagnose.

The rims are notoriously soft (at least when ridden aggressively), so check to make sure they are are true.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #4657
4Rider
Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by LangKat View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post16623442

Check the post by Colebatch under it as well

Well, we have an X-Country and I'm pretty familiar with the X-bikes and their known "issues", I was hoping to find someone who was familiar with this particular bike.

Thanks for the replies.

Mark
Old 04-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #4658
Tracks1
Arctic Rider

Oddometer: 95
X-Co thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rider View Post
Well, we have an X-Country and I'm pretty familiar with the X-bikes and their known "issues", I was hoping to find someone who was familiar with this particular bike.

Thanks for the replies.

Mark
Have a look at the thread for the X-Co: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290240
Tracks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #4659
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Hi
I've been thinking…
How about using this bike to commute as well as take long trips?

I'm on a 1200gs, but i'm looking to downsize. If the thing cruises decently (and without ripping the internals to bits) and takes the usual street bike intervals, this looks a splendid/versatile bike

The engine looks like the rotax in our f650gs single. But looks can be deceiving?

So the main question is, will it take all year riding; road-tripping and freeway without leaving me stranded or running up a high maintenance bill?

Thanks for the advice.
T
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:37 AM   #4660
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
Hi
I've been thinking…

I'm on a 1200gs, but i'm looking to downsize. If the thing cruises decently (and without ripping the internals to bits) and takes the usual street bike intervals, this looks a splendid/versatile bike

The engine looks like the rotax in our f650gs single. But looks can be deceiving?

So the main question is, will it take all year riding; road-tripping and freeway without leaving me stranded or running up a high maintenance bill?

Thanks for the advice.
T
yes, you can do all of those things... I rode my X Ch from Southern California to Chicago and back last summer... I also used it as my commuter bike until I bought my GSA. I am a large rider (300 lbs+, without my gear) and had to have my seat redone to make it tolerable for longer distances...

The engine is a Rotax single, but I'm not sure if it is the same as the F650GS... someone on here will be able to answer that...

Also, there is a rider on here who has ridden around the world on his X Ch - Colebatch is his screen name - and he has a very lengthy thread about how capable this bike is... Here are some of his threads...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524638

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463661

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834987
Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #4661
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
Hi
I've been thinking…

Thanks for the advice.
T
Engine is an update of f650gs single.

I'm year round dual-carriageway commuting on mine at the moment- 100 miles a day.

45k miles
beyond oil regular oil and filters, wheel bearings, brake pads, chains sprockets etc:

1 pair of plugs
1 waterpump kit
1 clutch cover, pull rod and actuating shaft
swapped swingarm bearings at Christmas
just shimmed the valves

80mph cruising doesn't phase the engine. I have a second set of wheels so I can run road biased tyres and swap to knobblies for off roading. The closest bike to the Xch in terms of do-everything-ability would be a KTM LC4 but from my own experience the 640 engine vibes more and is not as reliable.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #4662
SeanPNW
Water Bear

Oddometer: 409
WTB an xchallenge

I'm looking to purchase an xchallenge. I've put up a post in the flea market but thought I might post here was well. Anyone have anything or know of some for sale?
SeanPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #4663
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Engine is an update of f650gs single...
thanks for the insight.
so it would be safe to say the X is as reliable as a 650gs but lighter and more fun when it need be? probably more of a pain in bad/cold weather as well. :)

did the update change the character of the engine a lot compared to the gs version?

next on the list is finding one and test riding it
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #4664
an13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
If by bad weather you mean lack of rain/wind protector, these Parabrisas guys in Argentina have made great and affordable Dakar style screen for it, http://www.parabrisascurtain.com/sho...-dakar-pay.htm

When geared with XCountry style bigger 16 teeth front sprocket, bike starts to pull in 5th gear from 100km/h speeds, thus making highway speeds easier.

German Jungbluth Sitzbänke saddle upholstery is also recommended, original seat is not very comfortable: http://www.motorrad-sitzbaenke.de/

an13 screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 05:16 AM
an13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #4665
benjero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thanks for the tip JJmead, I might have to try the JB weld stuff. I ordered and installed all the little parts I thought might be failing, but after working on the bike tonight after work, I'm back at stage one. The thermostat housing doesn't fit flush with the housing groove for some reason... and coolant just comes pouring down when I fill it. This doesn't even seem to be a break of any sort, just a bad fit - or just me being stupid. I feel like a chimp trying to fit the square peg in a round hole, frustrated!

In the picture, where the arrow points, mine doesn't seem to be flush like that, no matter how hard I push, or if I try without the thermostat holder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post
I had a plastic leak on my radiator fromt he bike taking too many "naps". The only solution I could come up with was molding JB weld over the crack several times and forming it to the shape I needed. Took about three days of "molding" and curing but it has never leaked again, even with the bike taking several dirt naps to test my mold job.

Not the same area as yours but just an out of the box way of fixing a total PITA leak/crack.
benjero is offline   Reply With Quote