User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #4696
Square1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Baja design fuel tank

At the beginning of this thread there is mention of the Baja Design aux gas tank.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=260498

Has anyone here some experience with that setup?

Thank you

M
Square1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #4697
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Square1 View Post
At the beginning of this thread there is mention of the Baja Design aux gas tank.

Thank you

M
My most recent posting about it is at post 4280. But check several pages either way of that as tbarstow was also I stalling his around that time and did a good write up. "Oggi" was the first inmate to do it, as far as I know and he did a brief writeup. Tbarstow and myself expanded the tank with hot water to get some more capacity as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #4698
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:

Thank you

M
I've been running it for a few months now. It is AWESOME having enough range to not worry about gas anymore, especially in Baja.

I eventually had a friend weld some brackets to the Touratech pannier loop and it works great.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #4699
Square1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Thanks guys, good to know that it worked for both of you.

How did you hook it up?
Did you use any of the charcoal canister plumbing?

Thank you

Marten
Square1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #4700
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Thanks guys, good to know that it worked for both of you.

How did you hook it up?
Did you use any of the charcoal canister plumbing?

Thank you

Marten
I don't mean to be rude, but go use google to find the post, all of the answers to your questions are in our posts.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #4701
Earlevet
ADVEarl

Oddometer: 488
Check your inbox.... Having good times with mine!
Quote:

Thank you

M
Earlevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #4702
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
Any suggestions for a top-quality tank bag that fits well on the X-Challenge? I see the Touratech one, but it's a bit pricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
No experience here, but a couple folks have told me to check out the Giant Loop Diablo and Fandango for smaller TB's. They both have the same footprint, but the Diablo is lower/smaller. That's the one I'm going to check out. Both $155 I believe, but Renazco gives a 10% ADVRider discount.
I have the Giant Loop Fandango and I run the TT tank and love it. When this one dies I will get the same again!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #4703
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
I got mine from Henri (I've bought these for multiple bikes and like them a lot):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357336

Not the best pictures, but gives you an idea:

who's rims are those ?????
Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #4704
Perun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Standard X-moto rims.
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #4705
AJK44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Anyone willing to trade Touratech Aluminum hard case set up for a LEGIT supermoto set up?

photo 38e68fb3.jpg

photo e8b0d3d9.jpg

photo 8F83FE6D-98BC-4BC8-B67F-271CF177C572-8214-0000087C5AD7A86A.jpg
AJK44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #4706
mcgarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
Wolfman Fandango... works great, just the right size, and easy to pivot out of the way to refuel the large TT tank I have installed on my bike. I used it on my Southern California to Chicago and back adventure last summer and I have nothing bad to say about it. It is completely waterproof. I rode from Oklahoma City to somewhere in Southern Missouri in a very heavy downpour and everything in the bag was dry...

I even used this tank bag on my 2012 R1200 GS Adventure for rides when I don't need to use my huge BMW tank bag...

And, as others have said, the Diablo tank bag and the Fandango tank bag share the same mounting system...
I'm going to give the Fandango a try. I do like the waterproof aspect and the other features.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #4707
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
I'm going to give the Fandango a try. I do like the waterproof aspect and the other features.
I believe you will be very happy with your choice... Post some photos with it installed after you get it...
Old 04-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #4708
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
It's close to being "ready" for some adventures.

To-do list:

- Shorten sidestand or get a shorter one (Hyperpro rear shock lowered the height a bit).

- Get X-Tank installed.

Curious to see how you end up mounting the xtank to the TT subframe. The lack of charcoal canister mount points (which are used by the xtank) has stopped me from going that route.
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #4709
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I got the EarthX battery (ETX18B) today and installed it. I got it from motolithium.com (herrhelmet in Vendors) for about $200 shipped. It is a snug fit, but works fine. I snapped some photos if anybody is interested.

The first several pics show the size difference. The new battery only weighs about 2 pounds.

And the final fit, with some of my rat's nest tucked into the new found space:

At this point, I can only say it fits and starts the engine. I can't really endorse it until it lasts several years. But if it truly is similar to an 18Ah battery, I'll feel a little better using my heated gear and lights during my cold commutes. This type of battery should tolerate a partial draining better. I'm thinking I can feel a bit more comfortable if I see the battery going down to 12.0 volts, knowing I'm probably not hurting the battery. I'll still be watching that voltmeter. Time will tell.
I'm installing the EarthX ETX18B today to replace my TestCycl original battery (4.6A) that they used to sell (shrink wrapped A123 cells). I foolishly let my GPS discharge the battery overnight and am recharging it but frankly not sure I totally will be able to trust it for a 3 day backcountry camping coming up in 4 days.

It's a couple of years old but mainly because I have a Rekluse clutch and cannot bump start the bike this is a big deal to me. Unlike the old TestCycl, since the EarthX has a balancing circuit (that seems to also be durable), I trust it more so am being proactive. I only use it for cranking, and do not use a lot of accessories that draw amps (no heated gear etc).

As to the highlighted text above, just want to remind others that LiFePO4 does have limitations and drawing a lot of current while you ride is NOT as robust as lead acid batts - their idea of Pb/Eq or lead acid equivalent rating of Ah (Amp Hour) is not really the same and you should understand it.

Here is a very Informative battery thread from an "battery expert". The good news is their "18" model has a lot of reserve capacity but you should still understand if you draw it down as you ride with several amps of accessories... and then park it overnight then you have cut down its ability to crank, especially in cold weather. So how has yours done over the winter - and how many amps do you draw with your heated gear Butters?

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #4710
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
So how has yours done over the winter - and how many amps do you draw with your heated gear Butters?
I rode numerous times in 30-40 degree weather and never even noticed the slightest issue with cold starts. Snooker is absolutely right about comparing the Lithium batteries to lead acids, the numbers don't exactly jive. But with that said, The EarthX I installed was an "18Ah" battery versus a 10Ah stock battery. Even allowing for some number fudging, it is a significantly higher capacity battery, yet still FAR lighter and somewhat smaller.

Since I used a small windscreen this winter, I never needed to use by heated bib (~30W). But I used my heated grips (~30W) as well as my LED lights and GPS. The voltage never fell below charging level at idle.

So far, I am still very happy. But until it lasts at least 3 years, and really more like 5, it's hard to give an endorsement. But at this point, I would certainly consider another. That said, if there was a Odyssey battery had equal or higher specs than stock I would have gone that route. But the Odyssey that fits actually has pretty meager specs. Although I'm sure the quality is top shelf.

The other thing about the Lithium batteries,m especially in your case Snooker, is you could use your original battery and buy a small (10Ah) lithium battery and store it in your bags. The size and weight would be neglible, as long as you were willing to accept the price.

But my outward experience so far is that it has had no apparent downside, and lots of upside (capacity, size, weight).