Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #5116
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
jjmead did you get your key in the gas cap sorted out? Somebody out there surely has fabricated some gas caps by now and maybe it's time to see if they are willing to take a group order??
If BMW could stop doing stupid unique parts for the bikes they produce, solving problems like the gas cap would be much easier.

I'll look into designing one.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #5117
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 542
I had a key snapped off in mine. Luckily I live in a country where you can't buy parts so a Vietnamese guy fished out the parts and fabricated a new key at the cost of $1. Would love a new petrol cap though but the solution isn't to fabricate a new cap, it's to fabricate an adapter so a normally available cap will fit.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #5118
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
If BMW could stop doing stupid unique parts for the bikes they produce, solving problems like the gas cap would be much easier.

I'll look into designing one.
If they'd stop making stupid bikes and start making this one again......just dump the mistakes and basically make a bike really close to what the collective WE would consider a good stock starting point and wham !!! Success.

No air bladder, Ohlins, better fork, real bash guard, better fuel cell, better battery, better.....you get the point.

Finally got keys. Got three. One is made and will act as the one to open the fuel tank. The rest will be spares and I plan on servicing the lock once open....powdered graphite.

other ideas?
jjmead1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #5119
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,771
Thumb

ok i just returned from a 1000 mile ride and camp on the bike.

i just bought the thing on wednesday. i left on the ride friday morning at 6:00

i blasted interstate from birmingham alabama to kentucky.

first thing i noticed: shit this bike is TALL! I can barely put the kick stand up with my left foot while my right foot is planted. I have to put the kick stand up THEN climb on top of the thing. If this thing was 1 inch shorter it would be a lot easier for me to manage

second thing i noticed:

at 90 miles the low fuel light comes on. wow. that sucks... but my ass hurts anyways so maybe thats a good thing

the bike hauls ass. i was cruising at 80mph with little 90mph bursts.

this bike came with an ohlins shock installed. everything feels very stiff to me. i weigh 160 lbs in street clothes. i think if i take out some of the damping it should be ok.

i hit quite a few trails and a lot of dirt roads once i was in kentucky. the bike seems to be fairly capable however its not a 250 Husqvarna

i took it down this hiking trail to see how the bike and I would do. im used to 250cc bikes running S12 michelins and cut down bars. the X is not that but i was pretty impressed with what it is. i can tell if i were to put some real knobbies on it that it could get through some nasty stuff (slowly) but i mainly want to use it for dirt roads, 4x4 roads, camping and interstate.

i crossed this creek with the bike. it chugged right through it. the water came up over the front of the fender.

the bike has a Sahara 3 on the rear and some kind of Metzler on the front (cant remember what kind). whatever the front is, it sucks in pretty much everything but hard pack dirt and pavement. the Sahara 3 wanted to step waaaay out on the gravel roads but hooked up well on wet, rocky trails.

Mud:
i hit one trail with plenty of mud holes. the tires didnt like it at all. turned out better if i just rode around the mud.

camp:

obligatory bike drop photo:

has anyone here lowered this bike ?
does someone make a "low" seat for it?

there is no linkage so a lowering link is not possible.

i could drop the forks in the clamps but ... i will need to lower the rear somehow too.

Ideas ?

off the grid and deep in the woods

swamp screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 10:50 PM
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:41 AM   #5120
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,313
Your bike has the Ohlins shock which actually raises it over stock. Not sure exactly how much, but I would think at least an inch. You could get your Ohlins re-worked to shorten it. Going back to the airshock would also lower it - but I DON'T recommend that! I have a 1" lower Hyperpro and really like it. But since you already have a quality shock - I would just have somebody lower that.

BMW makes a low seat. Mine was a low seat before I had it re-done by SeatConcepts. I found the low seat to be slightly less comfortable than the stock seat simply because there was quite a bit less padding. But it does lower the seat height by something like 1.5". I'm sure SeatConcepts and Rennazco could provide a more comfortable low version.

Enjoy the bike!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #5121
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Thanks butters I really appreciate the help man!

Old 08-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #5122
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Also any of the custom saddle makers such as Renazco can make you a lower and more comfortable saddle.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #5123
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Swamp,
the quick and cheap fix to your seat height is to find a xmoto seat in the flea market. I thought it was much more comfortable, about 1.5-2 inches lower, but I also wear padded bicycle shorts on long rides
They can usually be found for 150
I have ohlins and used a xmoto seat for about 3 months, then took my stock seat and got a custom lower seat made for it. To get my custom seat using my stock seat pan cost me 150
Once you get the ohlins set up right its a dream. When I ordered mine I said 160lbs without gear, i had to piss with it a bit but now its definately the best mod for the bike

gumbellion screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 08:28 AM
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #5124
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Also any of the custom saddle makers such as Renazco can make you a lower and more comfortable saddle.

Not possible. When you go lower, you will lose comfey.

Ask me how I know.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #5125
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
I'd think it's up the skill of the saddle maker. Who did yours?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #5126
SteveDennehy
Steve

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Not so sure about that - I'm having a Renazco made, and when I enquired about lowering the seat they were not that keen. They said it could be done, but they would not recommend it due to the inevitable loss of comfort that would result.
SteveDennehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #5127
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDennehy View Post
Not so sure about that - I'm having a Renazco made, and when I enquired about lowering the seat they were not that keen. They said it could be done, but they would not recommend it due to the inevitable loss of comfort that would result.
Which is exactly what they told me. And I went ahead with the lower, and later had to send it back to get done right.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #5128
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

the stock seat isnt exactly the most comfortable thing on the planet either. . neither is not being able to stop at red lights due to midget syndrome

-i sent an e-mail to renzaco today: " can you make a "low" seat for my bmw 650 x challenge? Price? Time frame?"

-also looked online for xmoto seats. didnt find anything really. found a cool picture of GasPipe's bike with an xmoto seat on it. called a guy on a supermoto forum but he told me he had sold the seat over a year ago.

-talked to a guy about re-working the ohlins shock to make it lower. have to wait until tuesday to hear back from him. (whats up with motorcycle shops and not being open on mondays? )

Old 08-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #5129
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post

the stock seat isnt exactly the most comfortable thing on the planet either. . neither is not being able to stop at red lights due to midget syndrome

-i sent an e-mail to renzaco today: " can you make a "low" seat for my bmw 650 x challenge? Price? Time frame?"

-also looked online for xmoto seats. didnt find anything really. found a cool picture of GasPipe's bike with an xmoto seat on it. called a guy on a supermoto forum but he told me he had sold the seat over a year ago.

-talked to a guy about re-working the ohlins shock to make it lower. have to wait until tuesday to hear back from him. (whats up with motorcycle shops and not being open on mondays? )

I thought the xmoto seat was the same as the regular xchallenge seat, just different vinyl, but that might be wrong...

I had a custom seat done for my xmoto by Rick Mayer, way more comfy than the stock xmoto. I'm not using it and would consider letting it go. I'm not sure how it compares to the stocker height wise though.

Congrats on your new bike btw. They are sweet rides.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #5130
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,336
Mine had the gray / black X Moto seat on it when I bought it. I had it redone by XPC Racing in Murrieta, CA. It is much much better than stock.