Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #5161
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,771
my light comes on at 90 miles (depending on how im riding).
i've gone 94 before filling up

i figure a full tank would get close to 100 miles.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #5162
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

does anyone know if the sprockets from the 450X will fit the 650x ?

Old 08-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #5163
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
does anyone know if the sprockets from the 450X will fit the 650x ?
Cant say for sure, but I doubt it since it is a completely different motor..
All the single cyl 650's are compatible though..
Matt
2003 BMW R1100S BCR - #57/200, Laser, Ohlins, Other goddies - RIP Jeff; 1999 BMW R1100S - Remus (For Sale soon); 1989 BMW K100RS - Remus, Fox Rear; 2000 BMW M5 - Few Dinan Goodies..
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #5164
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

damn, another noob question.
Installed the TT brake lever as well.
As per manual i took off all the brake lever related stock parts.
Installed as per manual (which actually said, take off stock and reverse)

Tightening the bolt too much froze the brake lever. So i took some of the tension off and used thread locker. Hoping that the bolt wouldn't back out.

Well… it does back out. what gives? and what to do about it?

edit: maybe a crush washer between the bushing and the outer washer could create enough space to free the lever. somehow the design just seems wrong. the bushing inserts into the lever pivot, screw and cover washer into the bushing, but the pressure is diverted through the washer to the lever instead of the bushing. hope I'm just missing something here

tommyvdv screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 04:12 AM
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #5165
an13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdog View Post
I keep a small 12v pump attached to the underside of my seat.
What make and model of 12v pump is so small that it can be fitted under the seat, there seems to be not that much free space?

Altough I am carrying tire irons, wheel bearings and tin of assorted bolts and nuts in there already, but any electrical pump that fit's somehow would be great.
an13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #5166
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by an13 View Post
What make and model of 12v pump is so small that it can be fitted under the seat, there seems to be not that much free space?

Altough I am carrying tire irons, wheel bearings and tin of assorted bolts and nuts in there already, but any electrical pump that fit's somehow would be great.
the airman pump is small, but it has a bulky plastic casing. maybe if you strip the casing it'll be small enough?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #5167
Tomdog
Mapaholic

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by an13 View Post

Something like this;
Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #5168
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
I am looking at going to the farthest north road in ontario next weekend to do some camping. From the last gas until the end of the road is coming up a 241km. I know at about 175km my fuel light comes on, but what is left in the tank after that for range.
I know I will be carrying gas but I would like to stash the gas part way to the end of the road fill up, continue on then greab it on the way back, since I am thinking it will be around 15litres I will carry.
Any ideas?
If your interested the gas free section is from pickle lake ontario to windigo lake ontario. Google maps will give directions.
running out of gas isnt an option as there isnt a soul up there
Thanks
I get 70mpg. I can go 149 miles before I get really nervous. I live and ride above 4,000 ft and use premium fuel. I typically run at about 55 to 75 mph. Recently I changed plugs and freshened up the air filter and cleaned the idle control and contacts near the throttle body --- years of general oxidation.

A solution I have used in the past was an MSR bladder designed for carrying water. It holds damn near another tank full of gas in the largest size and cost $40 at REI online or in store. It did not leak at all and took quite an offroad pounding. IT DOES LEAK VAPOR SO STORE IT OUTSIDE AND AWAY FROM OTHER THINGS YOU ARE CARRYING OR YOU WILL SMELL OF GAS. I placed it over my tool pouch and away from my camping gear. You can pretty much jump on the thing when full and no leaks. It is of course never going to be used for water ever again, but makes a good fuel carrying device that breaks down small when done.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/wa...y-bags/product
jjmead1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #5169
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post
I get 70mpg. I can go 149 miles before I get really nervous. I live and ride above 4,000 ft and use premium fuel. I typically run at about 55 to 75 mph. Recently I changed plugs and freshened up the air filter and cleaned the idle control and contacts near the throttle body --- years of general oxidation.

A solution I have used in the past was an MSR bladder designed for carrying water. It holds damn near another tank full of gas in the largest size and cost $40 at REI online or in store. It did not leak at all and took quite an offroad pounding. IT DOES LEAK VAPOR SO STORE IT OUTSIDE AND AWAY FROM OTHER THINGS YOU ARE CARRYING OR YOU WILL SMELL OF GAS. I placed it over my tool pouch and away from my camping gear. You can pretty much jump on the thing when full and no leaks. It is of course never going to be used for water ever again, but makes a good fuel carrying device that breaks down small when done.

I can easily do 120 miles. Ran out of gas twice at 130 miles. I keep a msr bottle on the bike
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #5170
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
I can easily do 120 miles. Ran out of gas twice at 130 miles. I keep a msr bottle on the bike
The questioner needs to go 500 kms.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #5171
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
The questioner needs to go 500 kms.
The questioner can use google to convert km to miles. ( roughly 312 miles or three total fill ups or one tank and two large bags I linked to ).

I mentioned MY MPG to use as MY baseline. He should be able to figure out his own by having extra fuel and running it dry to see how far he can push his range. may need another bag.........

Using the suggestion I posted earlier he can also buy 2 of the large bags and be very comfortable with the mileage. He mentioned stashing the fuel. The bags carry a lot of fuel, don't leak, and break down much easier than a canister to re use later or just simply bring back and not leave them out. I used simple straps ie rock straps or the like to attach to my baggage. No issue other than the vapor. Easily overcome.

jjmead1 screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 07:22 PM
jjmead1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #5172
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

stupid video i made today

Old 08-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #5173
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post

+1

I really like it because it rolls up small.
Since this old Baja pic, I've made a special "cover" for it that it can slide into, out of a metalized mylar type of ESD bag from work, this lets it breathe and keeps the sun off of it. I believe if anything is going to leak on the bag it is the little cap with the flip up valve. Some people like to silicone that valve shut, but I only fill it up about 80% full and then make sure to mount the bag with the valve in the top most position so that when it charges up with fumes you can open it up to relieve some of the pressure. It really bloats up quickly in the sun.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #5174
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
im reluctant to say anything....

im in Yakustk, Russia, and i have noticed a grinding sound (maybe grinding isnt the best word to use) as i start off in first and second gear, kinda sounds like my chain hasnt been oiled (but it has), it only seems to be in first and second at low revs, but its a new sound/ vibration... (i know i havent given enough of a description)

oil level is good, never been low on oil

any suggestions as to what to look for? i needs to last another 20,000km...

i havent been hard on the engine, and some what surprised to have it
the suspension, has been taking an absolute beating, so much that my forks have been leaking oil from the base of the bleed vlaves, i worry that my shivers wont last...

cheers
edd
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #5175
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

edd
does IT change at different revs or is it a rolling noise? does it disappear after second gear or does the engine, exhaust and wind noise just cover it up? I'd think bearing and or spacers.
the more experienced peeps will probably be able to help you out with a better guess.