Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #5176
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
+1

I really like it because it rolls up small.
Since this old Baja pic, I've made a special "cover" for it that it can slide into, out of a metalized mylar type of ESD bag from work, this lets it breathe and keeps the sun off of it. I believe if anything is going to leak on the bag it is the little cap with the flip up valve. Some people like to silicone that valve shut, but I only fill it up about 80% full and then make sure to mount the bag with the valve in the top most position so that when it charges up with fumes you can open it up to relieve some of the pressure. It really bloats up quickly in the sun.
Which tyres are you running, in a 19/17 combo...................they look nicely knobbly

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #5177
Perun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Using X-challenge pump to inflate tyres - it can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perun View Post
Is there a way to pump tyres with X-challenge air pump? I am trying to figure what adapter I need, but I am failing.

Maybe to change hose on the pump, is that an option?

I would like to avoid carying compressor when going on hard stuff, since I have room under the seat...
Ok, to anwer my own question - yes, you can use X-challenge pump to inflate tyres.

You need some additional bits, easy obtainable in bicycle stores.

I got my pump new from e-bay, and it came with small presta-to-schreder adapter. I believe all X-challenge pumps has it. If its lost, its easy to find one on net - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/silca-presta...valve-adapter/.

In order to use this pump on tyres, you need one more adapter, schreder-to-presta - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/silca-schrad...valve-adapter/.

You put these two adapters together -

IMG_1976 by MaletaBG, on Flickr

IMG_1977 by MaletaBG, on Flickr

and screw it on tyre valve. It wont lose air, since schreder-to-presta adapter lets air only in one direction. Then you screw pump on it and voila...

It took 100 strokes for front to get from 0.55 to 1.5 bars, and 200 strokes for back to get from 0,8 to 1,5 bars, thats 3 minutes.

Ofc, pump was used in low preasure mode -

IMG_1969 by MaletaBG, on Flickr

Since using adapters let air in only one direction, in the tyre, gauge is unusable. Anyway, I am not sure it would be precise enough for tyre preasures, since it has 0-20 bars scale.

All in all, i will use it to change tyre preasures for different terrains. I know it will be pain in the ass (shoulder) to inflate totaly flat tyre, but hey, its a an adventure riding, right?
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #5178
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
just drove home early in the morning, and the engine was cold, didnt hear the noise(s) at all, makes me think its only when the engine is warm.

i only hear/ feel it first and second gear low rpm. other gears, low rpm, i dont hear it..

its now a year later, and that sound has come back, much more noticeable. the engine still drives fine, but its a worrying sound...

Pine Sol screwed with this post 09-16-2014 at 08:35 PM
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #5179
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDennehy View Post
My Touratech fairing arrived today, after a short wait of just over 20 weeks.
Great!!

here's some pics of my tt fairing install
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post22173506
Old 08-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #5180
SteveDennehy
Steve

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroka View Post
Great!!

here's some pics of my tt fairing install
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post22173506
My saga: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...topic=125234.0
SteveDennehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #5181
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
So happy you posted this! I had seen it before but couldn't find it again when I wanted to... Searched for days about the Kaoko setup, I remembered you had R1200GS unit but just couldnt find it...

ANyways!... Any reason that wouldn't work with Barkbuster? Looks like yours are the BMW ones?

Thanks
Matt
2003 BMW R1100S BCR - #57/200, Laser, Ohlins, Other goddies - RIP Jeff; 1999 BMW R1100S - Remus (For Sale soon); 1989 BMW K100RS - Remus, Fox Rear; 2000 BMW M5 - Few Dinan Goodies..
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #5182
SteveDennehy
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
So happy you posted this! I had seen it before but couldn't find it again when I wanted to... Searched for days about the Kaoko setup, I remembered you had R1200GS unit but just couldnt find it...

ANyways!... Any reason that wouldn't work with Barkbuster? Looks like yours are the BMW ones?

Thanks
Matt
Yup, those are the BMW ones, but I am 99% convinced the same setup will work with Barkbusters. Send the Kaoko guys a mail, they have awesome customer service. Touratech could learn a thing or two from them.
I don't use the Kaoko much because I tend to stay off highways with the X, but it works great when I do use it.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #5183
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perun View Post
Ok, to anwer my own question - yes, you can use X-challenge pump to inflate tyres.

You need some additional bits, easy obtainable in bicycle stores.

I got my pump new from e-bay, and it came with small presta-to-schreder adapter. I believe all X-challenge pumps has it. If its lost, its easy to find one on net - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/silca-presta...valve-adapter/.

In order to use this pump on tyres, you need one more adapter, schreder-to-presta - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/silca-schrad...valve-adapter/.

You put these two adapters together -

IMG_1976 by MaletaBG, on Flickr

IMG_1977 by MaletaBG, on Flickr

and screw it on tyre valve. It wont lose air, since schreder-to-presta adapter lets air only in one direction. Then you screw pump on it and voila...

It took 100 strokes for front to get from 0.55 to 1.5 bars, and 200 strokes for back to get from 0,8 to 1,5 bars, thats 3 minutes.

Ofc, pump was used in low preasure mode -

IMG_1969 by MaletaBG, on Flickr

Since using adapters let air in only one direction, in the tyre, gauge is unusable. Anyway, I am not sure it would be precise enough for tyre preasures, since it has 0-20 bars scale.

All in all, i will use it to change tyre preasures for different terrains. I know it will be pain in the ass (shoulder) to inflate totaly flat tyre, but hey, its a an adventure riding, right?

Cann't you just unscrew the adapter top from the end of the pump? I use my pump on both the shock and the tires without any adapters.

BTW I watched a guy spend ten minutes with my underseat pump trying to get enough air in a D606 to get back to the highway. CO2 is a good thing to carry.

m

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #5184
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
Howdy, new to the xC and this thread has been great. What I haven't seen covered is this wonky abs piping. I put 2" Rox risers on and had to move the distribution block up a little to make it work. I'd rather have a little more play in the lines. My question relates to the unusual "double bajo" (?) plumbed from the front master cylinder. See here:

It would appear to me that the line that goes from the ABS pump to the connector block to the master cylinder and simply attaches to the master cylinder but is not plumbed in any way to it. So, could you simply have another brake line made that connects from the block (near the steering head) to the caliper itself?

Seems like the original design was complicated for the sake of being complicated. Please enlighten me if there was a purpose to this.

I can't seem to locate the fiche for this in the hopes it might explain itself to me.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and thanks to Perun for the very detailed writeup on the pump. I've been wondering if I could trust it for tires.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #5185
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingMad View Post
My question relates to the unusual "double bajo" (?) plumbed from the front master cylinder. See here:

It would appear to me that the line that goes from the ABS pump to the connector block to the master cylinder and simply attaches to the master cylinder but is not plumbed in any way to it. So, could you simply have another brake line made that connects from the block (near the steering head) to the caliper itself?
I believe the double banjo connector at the master cylinder does not connect to both lines that come to it.

The actual plumbing goes from the master cylinder to the ABS unit then on to the brake caliper. It just happens to bolt on to the master cylinder connection so it can use the same final brake line to the caliper as the non-abs units.

I would just live with having to adjust the location of the ABS unit instead of trying to get custom brake lines made up.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #5186
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post

... -i sent an e-mail to renzaco today: " can you make a "low" seat for my bmw 650 x challenge? Price? Time frame?"
I had Renzaco make me a seat and I have the ohlins, its a great seat but wow with that extra inch it has is making me consider having the ohlins reworked...

If you do have them make you a seat and are going to keep the ohlins without it being lowered be extra sure to tell Renzaco your bike is an inch higher than stock...

FYI: I had a stock seat and got a low seat, the low seat was for me much better both in ride and comfort level. Then I got my stock redone by Renzaco, night and day over the low seat.

jonnyc21 screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 10:27 PM Reason: clarification
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #5187
mcgarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Any thoughts on the easiest way to swap locks from my old gas cap to the new one? Both are stock BMW.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #5188
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
Any thoughts on the easiest way to swap locks from my old gas cap to the new one? Both are stock BMW.
Remove cap. Depress from bottom, drop pin out, track spring that probably flew across room, remove lock cylinder with or without key ( can't remember ), repeat for new cap and insert desired lock.

It really should be easy....not that I have done it but.

might as well lube it with graphite while your in there.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #5189
SteveDennehy
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
The kickstand arrived today and I got it on. Pretty straightforward - the springs are probably the hardest part and they're not too bad. I'll post some pics when I get around to it. But the short story is it is perfect for my 1" lower bike. It essentially looks like it is back to the stock lean angle.

The kickstand does stick out a bit more in the up position because it has a sharper angle, but it looks like it won't be an issue.
So I'm feeling a bit dof right now - how do I remove the sidestand? My X-Country shorter sidestand arrived today, so the long one needs to come off and the short one go on. For the life of me I can't get the thing off.

Help? What am I missing?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #5190
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
So I'm feeling a bit dof right now - how do I remove the sidestand? My X-Country shorter sidestand arrived today, so the long one needs to come off and the short one go on. For the life of me I can't get the thing off.

Help? What am I missing?
There are 2 bolts that hold it on as you come at it from the swingarm.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote