Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #5386
aprilian
Can I change this?

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurerik View Post
Hi Just wondering how many miles is everyone getting out of thier original chains? Thank you
I just replaced mine at 12k because I hammer on it and the aluminum rear sprocket was going fast. Mine is an xmoto and locking up the rear wheel might be rougher on the drivetrain - I needed a new cush damper too
Old 10-19-2013, 02:33 AM   #5387
Gyan50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hello guys do you like?

http://it.myalbum.com/MiniFoto-TBDPFNVY.jpg
Gyan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #5388
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,460
Quote:
Hi Just wondering how many miles is everyone getting out of thier original chains? Thank you
Mine has over 10K miles and it is still in great shape. I'm pretty good about keeping it lubed and most my miles are on the street. I can't imagine needing one before 20K miles under the same conditions.

That said, if you search the G650X threads, there are lots of people whose chains/sprockets were thrashed under 6K miles. I don't know if that is due to a bad batch of equipment, poor lubrication, or just people riding mostly in the dirt. My thinking is it is the latter - if you ride in mostly dirt, you better be pretty religious about cleaning/lubing.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #5389
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampaX View Post
Hola muy bueno!!
Top notch videos. How fast were you going across the salt flats?
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #5390
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'B View Post
Top notch videos. How fast were you going across the salt flats?
thanks!

In this video I don't think I exceeded 130 km/h..

A friend on a 2013 Sertao and I went for a speed run from a rolling speed of about 60 km/h, and the sertao didn't stand a chance.

according to my GPS the top speed was 168 km/h, which I think it was quite impressive taking into account I was at 3600 AMSL, fully geared and with a medium/small bag in the back.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #5391
jlw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
opinions

There are 2 xchallenge used for sale within a few hours of my house. Both with about 20,000 kms on them. Both 2007.

Should I be concerned about parts availability when considering the purchase of a 6 year old and discontinued model?

Are there any other items to consider when thinking about such a bike?

thanks
jlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #5392
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,296
Air Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiPHadventure View Post
Oh, jeez, really? I was hoping I wouldn't have to fork out on a new shock this early, but I guess you're right. Any suggestions or recommendations for the replacements?
Hey: I put over 17K Miles on my X with the air shock. Appx 10 enduros, 5 or 6 RallyMoto's and miles and miles of sand whoops with no issues.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #5393
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Replaced mine at 13,000 miles along with both sprockets. Original rear sprocket only lasted 5,000 miles. 95% pavement. Clean every few hundred with WD-40 then lube with PJ-1.
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #5394
jabroka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw View Post
There are 2 xchallenge used for sale within a few hours of my house. Both with about 20,000 kms on them. Both 2007.

Should I be concerned about parts availability when considering the purchase of a 6 year old and discontinued model?

thanks
From my less than a year experience with the X, I'd say that parts its not an issue.. Every time I needed something (very few times) It was readily available or took 4 - 6 days to get to the dealer..

My bike had about 20.000 when I got it and it needed nothing but some very minor TLC.

The only serious issue I had, was having the Touratech catalog on my bedside table and falling asleep dreaming of many of those nice farkles.
There is no cheap way out of it

jabroka screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 06:51 AM
jabroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #5395
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
I have 23K miles and am putting on the third chain set now. The chain is still in okay shape but the steel sprockets are hooked.

All those people whining about being underpaid today were simply overpaid yesterday.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #5396
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiPHadventure View Post
Hi guys. I just got my XCh a month ago and still learning the deeper facts about the bike... And since I could need to spend a whole year sifting through all the threads and posts, just to make it easier for me (please bear with me), my question is this: is the air suspension up to the task? Does it really start deflating if unused for a week? I don't want to have to shell out for a new shock this soon. I hope you can help me out. Thanks!

I put 20k miles on my air shock and it was still working when I pulled it for a new Sachs I found on Ebay. The shock works but has lots of quirks that make it less appealing than a coil over.

If by deflating, you mean loosing half it's air after a week, that is failure. If you mean having to add a few pounds with the hand pump every couple of weeks, that's normal.

All those people whining about being underpaid today were simply overpaid yesterday.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #5397
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom

Oddometer: 777
Quote:

thanks
So far I haven't had any issues getting parts. That said, x-specific parts are typically not stocked, and in some cases need to be sent from Germany. I buy all my OEM parts through Max BMW; the longest I've had to wait was 2 - 3 weeks for a voltage regulator.
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #5398
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:

thanks
I'm in Kingston and have an x-c and usually buy my parts from Max's BMW as well....way cheaper then buying from BMW Canada. And I'm still bitter about BMW Canada wanting $500 for a recall clearance letter. Fuck them!!! I've had Max's ship parts to my home and had them shipped to a UPS drop station across the boarder. Parts are still readily available....no problems there.
As for items to consider...ride the bike and see what you like and don't like. I've got 33k miles on mine and it's been a blast.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #5399
dantroop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Was out last weekend on my xc. Rode dirt roads, fire roads and for me very challenging rocky stuff. My4th time off road. The down hill rocky stuff was very difficult for me.

Until now I've held a neutral position on the air shock. After this weekend I'm leaning to a conventional shock. I'm 5'7". I think the air shock may be adding to my struggles off road due to the shock trying to buck me up the second any weight is lifted( like when paddling down a rocky slope.

Has anyone experienced this and made the change? Did it help?
C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
dantroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:37 AM   #5400
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantroop View Post
Was out last weekend on my xc. Rode dirt roads, fire roads and for me very challenging rocky stuff. My4th time off road. The down hill rocky stuff was very difficult for me.

Until now I've held a neutral position on the air shock. After this weekend I'm leaning to a conventional shock. I'm 5'7". I think the air shock may be adding to my struggles off road due to the shock trying to buck me up the second any weight is lifted( like when paddling down a rocky slope.

Has anyone experienced this and made the change? Did it help?
C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
That is a characteristic of the air shock. Progressive springs also have a bit of this IMO. If you find it really bothersome you should probably consider a straight rate spring. Just my $.02

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote