Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #5446
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by casperghst42 View Post
Hi,

I picked up a 2007 xCh some weeks ago, and am enjoying it. But one of the previous owners had small hands and decided to bend the clutch lever, and ran it with the clutch not fully engaged.... needless to say the clutch is shot. It kind of lurging when I pull off (bite,nothing,bite,nothing.... until it finally engages).

So I need to change it.

But what would be the best option an ECB or an OEM. The OEM is more expensive, and the ECB allows me to run full synthetic oil, hmmmm....

Casper
I'll probably go for the aftermarket in mine shortly.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #5447
Boughton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks1 View Post
Not seeing any valve adjustment procedure on page one, like you suggest?
Boughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #5448
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boughton View Post
Not seeing any valve adjustment procedure on page one, like you suggest?
Does anyone here know how to search the internet on their own?

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Valve_Shim_Check_FAQ.htm
Old 11-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #5449
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Does anyone here know how to search the internet on their own?

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Valve_Shim_Check_FAQ.htm
apparently, you do...
Old 11-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #5450
cobrakai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Hey guys I've been having this issue lately with my ABS.

It will just randomly turn off after many miles of riding - the red light will illuminate. Sometimes it will illuminate solid when just starting the bike, causing me to have to power cycle the bike.
cobrakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #5451
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakai View Post
Hey guys I've been having this issue lately with my ABS.

It will just randomly turn off after many miles of riding - the red light will illuminate. Sometimes it will illuminate solid when just starting the bike, causing me to have to power cycle the bike.

After a quick look at the DVD it appears that you're going to have to plug it in to get the fault code and fixes.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Meriden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #5452
Meriden
Yea whatever

Gotta say thanks to everyone who answered in this thread. I've hit it about 30 times over the last week. Right now the bike it apart getting ready for LAB2V.

I came up with a dollar store swing arm pivot puller for the right hand side. It's a simple 2" u-bolt with a hole drilled in the cross bar to accept the bold that threads into the pivot.

tbarstow, you riding LAB2V this year?

Old 11-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #5453
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 342
Rust in oil tank!??

Searching only gave this - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300621

Have a look inside your oil tank - does anyone see rust inside? Mine is off the bike and drained now, and with a torch I noticed spots of rust developing far inside.....What to do?

Detailed BMW X-Challenge build thread.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
F-ing in Iceland and Faroe Islands, 2013.
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #5454
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
tbarstow, you riding LAB2V this year?
Not planning on it. I can go ride all of that stuff for free any day of the year.

Be prepared for lots of sand and racers on little dirt bikes roosting you and trying to stuff you in corners. Then run them over on the wide open sections where they don't have enough speed.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #5455
Perun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I would appreciate a picture of Hepco&Becker pannier rack, left side upper mounting point. I need some ideas on how to fabricate pannier rack, but I cant find any picture showing left side...
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #5456
SchillerM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perun View Post
I would appreciate a picture of Hepco&Becker pannier rack, left side upper mounting point. I need some ideas on how to fabricate pannier rack, but I cant find any picture showing left side...

Let me know if that is what you need. I can take more from whatever angle you want... It is on an XCo, but same system..
Matt

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4
2003 BMW R1100S BCR - #57/200, Laser, Ohlins, Other goddies - RIP Jeff; 1999 BMW R1100S - Remus (For Sale soon); 1989 BMW K100RS - Remus, Fox Rear; 2000 BMW M5 - Few Dinan Goodies..
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #5457
Perun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post

Let me know if that is what you need. I can take more from whatever angle you want... It is on an XCo, but same system..
Matt

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4
Thanks! It will be enough for now, I will kindly ask for more if I stuck somewhere in design.
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #5458
Meriden
Yea whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Be prepared for lots of sand and racers on little dirt bikes roosting you and trying to stuff you in corners. Then run them over on the wide open sections where they don't have enough speed.
Yep, been there. Last year I was separated in a narrow section from my two riding buddies behind, well, let's just say slower economy models. By the time I got out of the narrow section and around the cast iron, my buddies had taken a wrong turn (never trust GPS) and I ended up passing them too.

I have the bike prepped with the exception of the upper chain roller that disappeared somewhere on the ET500 and changing out the aux tank. I also have a swing arms bearings on order, but I don't know if I'll change them before I go or not.

Any suggestions on routing spare cables? I've tied a spare throttle and clutch cable to the existing one and the engine end it fine. The ends near the controls are the issue. I've tucked them in behind the cowl but that may not be the best spot.

m

Old 11-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #5459
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post

Any suggestions on routing spare cables? I've tied a spare throttle and clutch cable to the existing one and the engine end it fine. The ends near the controls are the issue. I've tucked them in behind the cowl but that may not be the best spot.

m
Just route them with the existing cables. Wrap the ends up good to keep the sand and silt out of them.

Have a spare air filter so you don't have to clean it in the hotel room, or add a piece of unifilter foam over the intake to help keep it clean.

I wouldn't worry about the bearings, unless they are loose or crunching before the ride. Half of the problems people have on LAB2V are due to lack of normal maintenance. If you have enough gas range, skip the intermediate fuel stops to get out of the crowd.

Keep your GPS zoomed in to about 800 feet. I prefer to run Track Up, so the blue line is in front of me. Also adjust the color to something you can see that stands out, as the dry lakes and creek beds are shown with water on the GPS.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #5460
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
I'm finding I ride my X a lot less on road and am finding the TKC80's wanting in the mud and corn fields. I'm ordering a set of Pirelli MT21's and can't wait to try them out. I realize blacktop is going to be worse, but I should see a marked improvement off road. I bought the dual sport book they sell on just about every gear website and the author made a great point. 60/40 or 50/50 tires are bad everywhere. Either get a street tire or go aggressive knobbies, so I'm going with the dedicated off road tires. I'm excited to see how it transforms the already excellent off road XChallenge.