User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 05:42 AM   #826
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
I'd say you bent the bolt

hard to say with out seeing it, got a photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper
All,

I dropped my Xchallange yesterday on the right side. When I picked her up I did not see any damage other than the mirror poping off at the breakway mount. When I got back in the saddle I notice the handlebar was crooked.

The bar was not bent but the right handle bar mount was no longer lined up properly (it was closer to me than the left mount) The Mount was no longer level (i.e. the gap to the trippleclamp was higher on one side than the other. Has this happened to anyone?

I cannot tell if all I need to do is unbolt everything and remount the bar or if the bolt is bent? Or the mount needs replacing. If I can learn from someone elses experience I would appreciate it.
olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #827
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
I've done that too. looks bad, but may be ok
If you loosen the handlebar clamps the rubber mount to the tripleclamp mounts should realign.............or you've bent something!
Good luck
Quote:
All,

I dropped my Xchallange yesterday on the right side. When I picked her up I did not see any damage other than the mirror poping off at the breakway mount. When I got back in the saddle I notice the handlebar was crooked.

The bar was not bent but the right handle bar mount was no longer lined up properly (it was closer to me than the left mount) The Mount was no longer level (i.e. the gap to the trippleclamp was higher on one side than the other. Has this happened to anyone?

I cannot tell if all I need to do is unbolt everything and remount the bar or if the bolt is bent? Or the mount needs replacing. If I can learn from someone elses experience I would appreciate it.
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:46 AM   #828
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,708
Prob knocked it out of square.

Quote:
All,

Banshe and I have knocked them around a few times. Never bent bolt . we just knock them back.. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #829
DoucheBag
feminine hygiene product

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
All,

done this a few times I found a quick trail side fix is to roll your front tire snug up to a tree, left side if the bar twisted to the right and right if to left, hit the bar end closest to you, forward, while in ridding position, with the palm of you hand. A couple of good strong "taps" should get you straightened out enugh to enjoy the rest of your day...

www.heritage.org - Learn the facts
DoucheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #830
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,737
spark plug tool?

was just looking over my "free" toolkit () and i discovered that there is no spark plug removal tool. is there supposed to be a spark plug wrench in the tool kit?

has anyone found a good tool to CARRY ON THE BIKE for this purpose?

will a standard spark plug socket fit?

thanks.

edit: when i checked the parts fiche, the toolkit has a spark plug socket. but the parts aren't available/listed individually.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #831
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 463
i did that too. i just lossened a few bolts and realigned the bars and forks. usually its just twisted and not bent or broken.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #832
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 551
Thumb Thanks all

Thank you to the replies to my bent bar mounts dilema. I will try pounding it back next chance the weather allows.

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #833
dakardad
Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
All,

Ive bent the arrangement a few times. Usually ended up gitten'er straight with a 2X4 and a 5pd sledge. No shit.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #834
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Thin walled socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
was just looking over my "free" toolkit () and i discovered that there is no spark plug removal tool. is there supposed to be a spark plug wrench in the tool kit?

has anyone found a good tool to CARRY ON THE BIKE for this purpose?

will a standard spark plug socket fit?

thanks.

edit: when i checked the parts fiche, the toolkit has a spark plug socket. but the parts aren't available/listed individually.
I have found that a craftsman spark plug socket works on my r1200GS

it's thin wall allows it to fit it the tight spot. Maybe the same will work for our 650s
Old 11-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #835
Steady
Flogster

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Thank you to the replies to my bent bar mounts dilema. I will try pounding it back next chance the weather allows.
Like most here I too have bent the mounts. I did once have to replace the bolts, check them out anyway.
have thoughts of running away with, you know at some point it will end in tears but you just have to come back for more, at times it makes no sense but when you get down and dirty who cares about sense." - scotsmun
Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #836
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Howzit Steady?

Cannot wait to get back to your part of the world.. Rode in 2008 June -July across ZA and up into Namibia .. What a time . Was my second trip and dream of many more.

Tot siens, Loftus
Old 12-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #837
PowerT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
Can someone adequately describe if there is another bike the x-Challenge reminds them of as far as feel. Any similarities at all? My recent bikes in reverse order are 525EXC, TE610, R1100S, 950Adv, LC4E and I have put a few hundred miles on a friends DRZ400S. Any help is appreciated.

In spite of illness, In spite even of the archenemy sorrow, One can remain alive long past usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things and happy in small ways. - Edith Wharton

Need a smugmug coupon? Well here you go z0g48s072w1kE
PowerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #838
motobone
Free for all!

Oddometer: 229
Charcoal Cannister Bracket

When I purchased my X-CH the PO had upgraded the sub-frame with the Touratech frame, mounts, and boxes. However, I never received all of the leftover parts and he had already given them away.

So, does anyone want to sell their brackets?
motobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #839
manville
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Paint Chipping

The paint on my right front panel is chipping away from the plastic. Would that be a warranty item? I have two years left on my warranty. Just wondering if it was worth the time to go get it checked out.
manville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #840
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
The paint on ALL the panels of my Xchallenge has scratched and flaked off here and there. I doubt if BMW will cover it. They will most likely blame it to the way I use my bike...
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote