User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
Global Rider OP
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
Why would I want to "shop here"?

Well, I just got back from another great US shopping spree weekend.

Why bother? Well these are just a very few of the examples...

Example #1
My almost 5 year old BMW gel battery needed replacing. BTW, I never thought much of gel cells and a mere almost-5-years of service, is why.
Hammersley BMW in Virginia: $104.41 + $18.95 overnight shipping = $123.36
Local BMW dealer: $230
Saved: $106.64 on one item alone!!!

Example #2
I've been using Swish Facto AT30 for over 20 years. Its simply the best water based degreaser. Its manufactured by Swish in Ontario...yup...right here in Canada.
At my local Swish dealer: list price is $96.93 per 20 liter pail.
At Swish in NY state: list price is $73.25 per 20 liter pail. Yup, already $23.68 cheaper for a product made up here...go figure!!! So I was quoted $67 by the Swish USA office. By the time I got to the Swish store and told them what I was quoted, they gave it to me for $55 without me even asking.
Saved: $41.93 per pail. I bought 2 so I saved $83.86.

Example #3
Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic oil for the car; 4.4 liters up here, 5 US quarts (4.74 liters) in the US.
Canadian Tire: $38.99
Wal-Mart USA: 22.88
Saved: $16.11 on one jug alone!!!

Business up here, be it the distributor or dealer, just can't seem to figure it out.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,318
And don't forget the Americans are crying for paying $3.50 / gallon for gas and we're paying over $5 a gallon, plus Canada supplies more oil to the US than any other country... so our gas is cheaper there...

So even made in Canada products are cheaper in the US
Old 04-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
Global Rider OP
Alps Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
And don't forget the Americans are crying for paying $3.50 / gallon for gas and we're paying over $5 a gallon.
Gas was $3.70, give or take a nickel, yet diesel was $4.45 per gallon. Go figure. I would have thought that you could get more gallons of diesel out of a barrel of oil. I must be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Plus Canada supplies more oil to the US than any other country... so our gas is cheaper there...

So even made in Canada products are cheaper in the US
In fact we have more oil than the middle east. Its just that it doesn't come out of the ground as easily.

BTW, even our beer is (understandably) cheaper down there. I bought an 18 pack of Molson Canadian for $15.02 including deposit.

BTW, those savings in my thread are even better after you take taxes into account. For every $100 savings, I'm saving $13 in PST and GST.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Old 04-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 28,291
There are many reasons why goods are more expensive here. To answer your question, you might want to "shop here" in order to support your local economy.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan
There are many reasons why goods are more expensive here. To answer your question, you might want to "shop here" in order to support your local economy.
For even as much as 20% diff, I can agree with that.

But when it approaches half price, I gotta look at my own fiscal responsibility, and go with the cheaper. I cannot justify an $200 for a pair of tires to buy local.

Canadian made products significantly cheaper in the US? That's just plain wrong. Freight for a Civic made in Alliston half the cost of buying one in the GTA? Who's fucking who here?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Global Rider OP
Alps Adventurer

Quote:
There are many reasons why goods are more expensive here.
You mean why Canadian made goods are more expensive here than they are there. GREED is probably the answer.

Quote:
To answer your question, you might want to "shop here" in order to support your local economy.
But I am supporting my local economy...my very own wallet! It can't get more local than that.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Global Rider OP
Alps Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
Canadian made products significantly cheaper in the US? That's just plain wrong. Freight for a Civic made in Alliston half the cost of buying one in the GTA? Who's fucking who here?
Freight and PDE for a Toyota built in Canada is $1140. When it gets shipped to the US, take San Diego for example, it costs $660.

Lets see now hmmmm...Toyota plant in Cambridge Ontario to Toronto: 100 kms; to San Diego: 4100 kms. Hey, maybe if they send my Canadian built Toyota a few times around the world, I'll get freight and PDE for nothing.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,004
I remember a friend buying treated wood for a deck in Thunder Bay...he could see the sawmill from his house, but ended up buying it cheaper in the USA, even including the cost of going to get it...

speaking of which, I don't get it!
Old 04-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
TonyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
The price is right, right here.

It's charge what the market will bear. As Dennis DesRosiers says, so long as Canadians keep buying in Canada, the price is correct. Only when we sit on our wallets, or buy everything in the US will the market decide the cost here is too high. Most people couldn't be bothered with all the hassle and red tape, or don't live conveniently near a border crossing to make importing worthwhile, so the manufacturers can keep charging extra.
If people really were upset, we could organize "Boycott Toyota Month". Then you might see some movement. But we aren't that upset.
Having said all that, I resent some of the outrageous price differentials on motorcycle accessories and have been buying in the States. I feel sorry for the local guys, 'cause it's not really their fault, but Parts Canada has to learn sometime.
Cheers,
Tony
TonyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Global Rider OP
Alps Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT
I feel sorry for the local guys, 'cause it's not really their fault.
Well, yes and no.

I know for a fact that some of the dealers I have dealt with, have add up to 20% on top of MSRP on OEM factory parts; sometimes even higher percentages in the few-dollars range.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,564
Quote:
If you are willing to support these "good" reasons why the same exact products are up to 125% more in this country, I will be the first person to pat you on the back. And I'll probably be in a much better mood than you because I will have way more of my hard earned 'post income tax' money in my pocket.
Do you honestly believe that if we all spend all our money in bike shops in Canada, that those same over priced bike shops will in turn lower their prices in thanks for our patronage? You are smokin' some good drugs boy!!
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
Thraan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 28,291
A lot of folks riding expensive bikes complaining about prices. Sell the GS, pick up a nice used KLR and pocket the difference.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
Skvarki
Scharf

Oddometer: 101
What sticks in my craw is the "take it or leave it, quit wasting my time" attitude that comes with the rip off pricing that dealers in edmonton have on parts and service.

Things I've tried to buy from them aren't inventoried most of the time anyway, its we have to order this in and that in and stick me with the shipping and high markup to boot. If I gotta pay shipping and wait then why wouldn't I order from the states and save some cash?

If Canadian dealers would try giving the illusion of some value and good service I would support my local businesses more.
Skvarki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #14
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,735
Quote:
To answer your question, you might want to "shop here" in order to support your local economy.
Why do you hate Americans? Don't you feel responsible to return some of their oil money back to them?
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #15
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,564
Quote:
A lot of folks riding expensive bikes complaining about prices. Sell the GS, pick up a nice used KLR and pocket the difference.
You're almost as good at pressing buttons as I am.
Almost, but not quite!
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote